Weather Messages

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Alli Zelos

Weather Messages

Post by Alli Zelos »

Here goes...

When you log in, a message (like the good/bad day messages) is shown describing the weather. For example, you log in "The sky is sunny today, and a warm breeze blows." or "The sky looks rather menacing, and water from the previous rainfall still soaks the ground." You can change the messages of course. I'm not quite sure how hard this would be to implement. You'd have to make it the same for every character, soo... *shrugs*

Another suggestion... Lengthen the amount of time rain falls? Based on my own experience, it really only falls for 5-10 minutes rl time-- Not quite enough to get any sort of rp out of it :P
Thrym

Re: Weather Messages

Post by Thrym »

Great suggestion! My only problem...
Alli Zelos wrote: Based on my own experience, it really only falls for 5-10 minutes rl time-- Not quite enough to get any sort of rp out of it :P
:shock: Where do YOU live? It really depends on the location. It typically rains much, much longer here.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Click on the hp thing and you get a visual version of most you're suggesting?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Thrym wrote:Great suggestion! My only problem...
Alli Zelos wrote: Based on my own experience, it really only falls for 5-10 minutes rl time-- Not quite enough to get any sort of rp out of it :P
:shock: Where do YOU live? It really depends on the location. It typically rains much, much longer here.
She means how much time it rains for ingame, and then describes that in real time as opposed to ingame time. Not that it rains for 5-10 minutes where she lives.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Sorry, I should have clarified :P The rain *ingame* only falls around 5-10 minutes rl time.

@Kevin: All that shows is the time of day. It doesn't give any detail about the weather-- It doesn't even show the correct amount of moons ;)
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

This is a nice idea. The weather thingy only shows the approximate temperature and time of day. Once I was under the shelter in Bane where the oven is and didn't notice an entire weather related quest taking place. More information would be a good thing.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

I am personally all for prolonged weather! Because when I set rainfall or thunder or whatever as a GM, it only stays for a few minutes. It really does not help in case I want to use it for dramatic effect in a quest!
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Alli Zelos wrote: @Kevin: All that shows is the time of day. It doesn't give any detail about the weather-- It doesn't even show the correct amount of moons ;)
They decided to take turns: "Alright, tonight you go shine on some tards, bob."

Though I agree with longer rain effects and stuff.
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Longer weather effects would be great, as well as messages telling everyone what kind of wheather it is. This way, there will be no misunderstandings like I had some time ago:

My char walked through a town, and I had been ig for quite a while, so I did see the rain go down on my char. Rping he is soaked wet, another char just does not realize why and figures that my char fell into a river ^^. :twisted:
Magdha Tiefenerz

Post by Magdha Tiefenerz »

Alli Zelos wrote:Another suggestion... Lengthen the amount of time rain falls? Based on my own experience, it really only falls for 5-10 minutes rl time-- Not quite enough to get any sort of rp out of it :P
We had this discussion before. Such a suggestion can only come from people who are either jobless, students or have otherwise plenty time to play. Sorry, I work from 9 to 6, so my spare time is limited. I play a farmer, so no longer rain periods for me.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Am I missing something here, are you serious complaining that someone wants maybe half an hour rain instead of a mere few moments, as a farmer your char would be happy that rain actually happens longer and provides moisture and food for your crops.

I'm really concerned if that is not some hidden attack on the player of Alli Zelos...
Magdha Tiefenerz

Pellandria wrote:Am I missing something here, are you serious complaining that someone wants maybe half an hour rain instead of a mere few moments, as a farmer your char would be happy that rain actually happens longer and provides moisture and food for your crops.
Rain means that you cannot work on the fields. And crop getting wet isn't very good either.
And btw. most players ignore the weather and even the time of day altogether.
Pellandria wrote:I'm really concerned if that is not some hidden attack on the player of Alli Zelos...
Wrong.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Well I haven't planted something for..well maybe half an year but I didn't know that rain actually disables the fields in Illa, atleast I never heard that from any other craft that there is, maybe instead of disabling it maybe rain could improve the crops, makes no sense for me that rain would stop one from harvesting, except you get soaked and maybe wake up with a nasty cold,.
Magdha Tiefenerz

Pellandria wrote:Well I haven't planted something for..well maybe half an year but I didn't know that rain actually disables the fields in Illa, atleast I never heard that from any other craft that there is, maybe instead of disabling it maybe rain could improve the crops, makes no sense for me that rain would stop one from harvesting, except you get soaked and maybe wake up with a nasty cold,.
It is not technically disabled to plant something but have you ever planted anything in RL while it was raining? This is a matter of roleplaying and since I don't ignore the weather like most other players...

I think the weather is just fine as it is now. It gives you an occasional break from your usual doings which is very nice and I enjoy that. But please no longer rain periods.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Why not plant some crops in your garden rather than planting pixels in a game? Is the process of getting your farming skill to yellow so important?

And if it's raining, you could, y'know, not farm that day. It doesn't rain every day.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Infact yes I have planted and harvested plants, from strawberrys, potatos, corn, onions and other plants, even cutting weeds with a scythe and other "farming" realated things, its a hassle, you get dirty and its uncomfortable, but its not something you can't do.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

You can't really expect every day to be perfect :P And yes, many people do ignore the weather, and time of day... But if it's shoved in their faces, will they ignore it then? ;) I usually don't rp weather because it really only ends in confusion... #me looks up, frowning at the cloudy sky. And if someone else is RPing a sunny day? Things tend to get mixed up a lot.
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

I don't understand the hostility here. It rains in RL and crops get planted anyway. In some climates it rains nearly constantly. Those people are surely not starving.

I think the suggestion was not for more graphics nor for more rain, but for more messages to players regarding the weather to clear up some of the RP confusion.

Group hug?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Kamilar wrote: Group hug?
Now you are on *Hugging*

I think with a longer weather cycle we get much better rp fromn the system, nowadays it can change in a matter from minutes from fog, to rain and sunshine, heck even walking trougth a gatehosue once turned a foggy rainy day in a sudden sunny day for me, maybe we could also have some kind of "fading" in and out of weather, instead of "bam" instant fog and noone see's something you cna have the fog slowly crawl intill it gets thicker and thicker.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Agreed. I can't tell you how many times I've walked into a building, said "Wow, it's pouring out there." and five seconds later, we go out and it's perfectly fine :P

I'm not insane! I'm not!!
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

Your insanity has nothing to do with noticing or not noticing weather effects, there are much better reasons to call you insane than that. :wink:

Try to have fun with your insanity, we all do! :lol:

But yeah, longer lasting weather effects and a fade in and out for those effects would be nice. 5-10 minutes worth of effect, even remembering that one real day equals 3 game days, is still only 15-30 minutes worth of rain. Where I live a couple days ago there was a day that had about 45 minutes worth of dry spread out over the entire day, so having it raining all day can at times be realistic.

Perhapse this could lead to the addition of a "weather" skill to predict what the weather would be like. Of course the GMs can change it to suit the circumstances, since when has any meteorologist been 100% accurate with the weather no matter what their skill?
Magdha Tiefenerz

There will always be a time when the rain stops and there will always be a chance that somebody will not notice that it has rained. Increasing the time it rains may increase the chance that somebody notices that it is raining or has rained, but it will not solve your problem. But it will certainly annoy some people who play their characters according to the weather.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I would prefer no messages about the weather, if raining would be fairly obvious if someone stepped outside, however I definitely would appreciate a longer weather cycle then the 5-10 minutes set now having had some nice RP just begun before the "weather" clears.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Magdha Tiefenerz wrote:There will always be a time when the rain stops and there will always be a chance that somebody will not notice that it has rained. Increasing the time it rains may increase the chance that somebody notices that it is raining or has rained, but it will not solve your problem. But it will certainly annoy some people who play their characters according to the weather.
Yes, there will always be the chance, which is partially why I proposed the weather messages in the first place. This way you can know if it's wet outside, if it has been raining, or if it looks like it might. And just because you rp your character with the weather, doesn't mean the weather should be adjusted to fit your needs... If you're that realistic with your rp, then I wouldn't think you'd be against a more realistic weather system.

@Achae: Any specific reason why no messages, or you just don't want it? (I understand if you don't :P)
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Tons of messages repeating the same thing.. it is interesting walking into Eliza's at first, after that boring and repetitive IMO leaving another to be ignored.

Yet my main point is.. someone comes in wet and soaked into the shop talking of the rain, why would I need an ooc message telling me it is raining outside.. Would Achae RP the rain not even stepping out? I guess I prefer no ooc message telling my char something she could see when stepping outside then actually RP it and not attempt to ignore another ooc message.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

The messages do get repetitive, which would be the downside... But what I was hoping for the messages wasn't just to see when it was raining, but *all* weather that happens-- Sunny, windy, cloudy, etc. It would be a message that occurs right when you log in, not everytime you go outside.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

I recall something showing up when I first started playing. It told me what kind of ground I was on, in the top left-hand corner. If it was just one word, and kinda outta the way, it wouldn't be too intrusive.

However, that ground status thing is not there anymore...perhaps I disabled it.
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

Mabie it would be easier to modify the weather circle, er, thingy to show more than just temperature. If it is raining where you are than it might show rain drops or if it it cloudy than there might be some clouds near the top or fog might show fog near the bottom. This would give constant information for anyone who wanted to look, just as listening to the rain on the roof or looking out a nearby window would, but wouldn't require a new message and also solves the additional problem of what if someone signs on and it isn't raining and then it starts raining, would they know or not? I'm a bit tired now, I should have gone to sleep 3 hours ago, so forgive me if my-self is a bit muddled today.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

It sounds good to me, but I think adding the graphic might be harder than the message. I'm not sure about that, though.
Jaiyra el'Brahminn

Post by Jaiyra el'Brahminn »

If we're going to have weather messages, could they be broadcast in English as well as German? I found it impossible to play along.