Ferries

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Ferries

Post by Llama »

(I am so bored I am going to type out a proposal)

Once upon a time, someone put a picture of a ship in General and told us that we'd soon be getting ships et cetera. Assuming that will happen in 2101 - here's a proposal of mine.

Currently, we have 'ferries' which basically teleport you instantly from one place to another. I propose the following change. Firstly, 3 'maps' for each route will be produced. A 'ship' is constructed at Port A, Port B and in the middle of the sea. There is a different NPC on each boat.

To use the ferries, everyone gets onto the boat graphic 'area' in Port A. One of the people speaks to the NPC that they are 'ready to go'. This causes everything and everyone in the boat's area to be teleported to 'boat in middle of sea'. Using lstates, characters get to spend a short time on that boat. When the time has passed, they are teleported again (items on the ground are teleported too), to Port B's boat.

If you attempt to use a boat which is already in use, then the NPC should disallow you permission and ask you to wait until the boat comes back.

The 'teleportation' is intended to be for everyone at the same time, however lstates should be given to each character just incase someone logs out while in transit.

Aaaaand....

Discuss.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

If you attempt to use a boat which is already in use, then the NPC should disallow you permission and ask you to wait until the boat comes back.
>.< How long do you want the to make the chars wait?

I don't really like the idea of waiting there alone at the harbour..
Llama

Post by Llama »

I'm only thinking 5 minutes or so tops.

Anyway, if you're going on an adventure to Vanima or wherever - you just go in a group on the same boat.
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

So the sole reason for this is to annoy players by making them wait? :P
Llama

Post by Llama »

Grim wrote:So the sole reason for this is to annoy players by making them wait? :P
Curse you for having read through my thinly veiled plan!

Well, I was hoping for more RP opportunities - and a hint of realism.
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

I like it... Maybe get a few of you on the boat, one of you is sea sick :) It would be a bit cramped though because you will have to fit 3 boats in the harbor... unless you try and stretch it another 4-5 tiles
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Just imagine...2 people enter the ship...only one leaves ;)
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Related thread: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... c&start=30

I like this idea as a temporary fix. And @people whinging about having to wait: Use a static transporter then. You can't complain that a boat journey isn't instantaneous.
The great one

Post by The great one »

Some of you think this would annoy the players?... Hrm, I actually think the exact opposite.

You know what really annoys the players?... No changes, no updates, no players and everything just stays boring forever. That's what.
Llama

Post by Llama »

The great one wrote:No changes, no updates, no players and everything just stays boring forever. That's what.
You just wait ;)
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

He's not saying that's what happens, we all know about the big ol' update; he was stating that people shouldn't be complaining about a potential update.
zda

Post by zda »

i think it is a good idea to because it would add more role play chances.
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

Dead thread revived.

Ok, my 2 cents worth. How often do you have to take a trip on the ferry that you have other people around with you to RP with? How often do you just go by yourself trying to get to a place where there might be RP opportunities? Mabie you go across it with other people a lot but not me. Besides, there is plenty of time for RP on the walk out to or from the harbor, which really is a fair distance from most any location you might want to go (assuming that you are going with someone at all). Adding a five minute wait every time you go from Tol Vanima to the mainland would get really really old really really fast and, while the occasional teleport is within my means, I would likely just be less likely to visit my friends on the elven island (meaning fewer RP opportunities) than deal with the aggravation. I'm certain that I'm not the only one who feels that way either.
Joxia Doral

Post by Joxia Doral »

Someone had suggested a ferry at the lake near Bane which could go to the harbor via the river...If this could fit into this I think it would be a good idea.
maryday

Post by maryday »

[@Joxia: Someone might have a picture of a ship for 10cp...:twisted:
any ground south bane. ..lòng river. . .belonging to union...
((:;sry))]

thing would be some kind of ship to rent at a "fisherman" and use within "coastal areas"?

[[Any proposals for "NAVAL"-solutions?]]
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

I like this. Waiting a bit time is not too bad, because as stated above it is great opportunity to roleplay. Besides thieves get an opportunity to run via ship, and there won't be *magically* at once another ship that takes the chasers with it.

And really, what is five minutes in a game where you can walk 30 minutes if you intend to go from Nordmark via Bane to Varshikar f.e.?
Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Drathe »

I to very much like the idea. You could always of course not ~have~ to wait. Simply walk on a tile like you do on the pier at harbours. That way its a quick trip on your own A-B or as long as you want for your RP.
Joxia Doral

Post by Joxia Doral »

maryday wrote:[@Joxia: Someone might have a picture of a ship for 10cp...:twisted:
any ground south bane. ..lòng river. . .belonging to union...
((:;sry))]

@maryday: Maybe you missed how much land belongs to Bane now, the borders of Trolls Bane territory have expanded greatly in recent months.

:wink: