What songs are needed?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Arvemor

What songs are needed?

Post by Arvemor »

Hey guys. It is potential (notice the word potential, not certainty) that I and maybe others could be making music for Illarion.
First off, if you wanna know what mine sounds like check this link..there's two songs in the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGEgamvfCrI
These songs were not originally made for Illarion, but for a school project. But I don't mind them being used if people like them.

But yeah, I want to know...if I was doing music...which locations do you think most need a theme?
I want:

1.The location
2.The feeling you think that area has
3. How the song should sound E.g. Trolls Bane should have trumpets to sound kindomish!(That sort of thing.)

P.S. IF you don't like it...here's your chance to say.
P.P.S.At the moment I'm trying to get hold of a cord to connect my keyboard to my com. but when I do, I'll post a new vid of a new theme I made, just for Illarion.
:wink:
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I think that music is nice after all but pretty much... well. Background music should stay in the background. That music will get annoying if you heard it the 1353-time. Remember in Illarion some persons stay always in the same area or over long time in the same area. Such "loud" music will be switched of really fast.

Nitram
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Cool, yes, I'm going for a less dynamic sound.
Saigwin

Post by Saigwin »

I like the idea of music but am concerned about us poor dialuppers that are stuck with it and wont be able to play anymore. Some games out there let you turn it off but it still affects your ability to play. Will this be the same on Illarion or can I turn i off and not worry about it. currently I can have the sound effects on without a problem but music is quite different.
Orioli

Post by Orioli »

I dont want repeated sounds even music it hurts the atmosphere for me. I like some birds chirp in the forest and some water sound by streams but sounds in town if heard should relate to sounds of town if music is heard maybe should be only near the tavern
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Hmmm...is Nitram hearing this?

I get your views, guys. Some people want new music, and others want to not go crazy hearing it over and over or get slowed down while streaming it... I'd say it would probably have to be downloaded for it not to lag.
I can get also how a town's music might not reflect the events at the time.

This is probably more for the proposals board...but maybe a music player? That sounds time-consuming even to me.
Perhaps new and different music for different types of battles...that would be easier, correct?

Anyway...please discuss.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Where ist the old illa battle music anyway..the new one is just meh...
But apart from that maybe you should "create" a few songs depending on our instruments, maybe one song per isntrument and as soon as several instruments play together the song gets "richer", but apart from that I would rather like to see the music reacting on the actuall surroundings, e.g. the mumbling of a waterstream or the mumbling of people surrounding you..or soemthing liek that.
Saigwin

Post by Saigwin »

I remember playing one game ( forget which) but if you entered a tavern for example youd hear a 10 second bit of music and random chatter of a crowd talking and then it would fade out.
A walk through a forest would produce a short segment of birds and babbling brooks and such and then again fade out. Some things would repeat but not very often and some only if you crossed certain tiles or performed certain actions in the area.

Saigwin

PS. Some places you would definitely not hear music such as in the smithy, or workshops. and it ruins the atmosphere if its anything more than a sound of hammering or a grinding wheel or the forge's bellows.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Saigwin wrote:I like the idea of music but am concerned about us poor dialuppers that are stuck with it and wont be able to play anymore. Some games out there let you turn it off but it still affects your ability to play. Will this be the same on Illarion or can I turn i off and not worry about it. currently I can have the sound effects on without a problem but music is quite different.
You do not download the music as you go Saigwin. It is downloaded to your computer beforehand. You didn't really think you dynamically download stuff you encounter in your travels do you?
Saigwin

Post by Saigwin »

Thats what I was wondering concerning the music. I knew the other stuff was like that. Otherwise I could never play at all. But there are games that slow right down to the point of unplayable when music is playing, and with some turning it off has no effect. For example, turning off the background music in LOTRO lets me run it fine even though I should not be able to according to the developers. Same with D&D Online. But theres at least two free games I have tried that worked fine untill they added music, after that I had to give up. Maybe it was something else they added at the same time. I dunno.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Saigwin wrote:Thats what I was wondering concerning the music. I knew the other stuff was like that. Otherwise I could never play at all. But there are games that slow right down to the point of unplayable when music is playing, and with some turning it off has no effect. For example, turning off the background music in LOTRO lets me run it fine even though I should not be able to according to the developers. Same with D&D Online. But theres at least two free games I have tried that worked fine untill they added music, after that I had to give up. Maybe it was something else they added at the same time. I dunno.
Dialup isn't even available anymore in the Netherlands.

Isn't it like, pay per minute, so more expensive if you use it often enough than cable or DSL?
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Not everyone has access to cable yet Mesha.
Saigwin

Post by Saigwin »

I'm in Canada where sadly some more out of the way areas are stuck with dialup. Could get satelite but then still need dialup to upload. God we are so far behind when we are stuck out of town. ((wanders off to wallow in his self pity))

Anyway enough of my problems, back to topic
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Music will never be streamed by the client. All music is downloaded once when you install the client and is available then without harming the internet connection.
Additional music has not effect on the client performance and no effect on the requirements on the internet connection.

Nitram
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Hrm... I posted 3 of my works, and received positive feedback from a bunch of players. I then ended up making about 5 more but my computer's hard drive was destroyed though and I lost it all. Does anyone by chance have any of those midi files I made? I remember Nitram saying they weren't enough to turn on the music system... and Kadiya simply ignored me when I tried to give them to her. Though if I could re-post some and get differing opinions, I'd be more than willing to finish making the whole of my illa music.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Btw. can you get the old illarion battle theme from somewhere..obviously it has been taken out of the client all together..
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Sorry guys waiting on the use of a keyboard to computer cable before I can upload. Shouldn't be too long.
And Salathe, is it possible to remake your tunes? Having a collaborative work would be way better/ easier.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

I could redo a few of them. I'll try and do that this weekend and send them to you. I make mine in MIDI form
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Can I just say for you music creators, please share your work and compare as you go before making large batches, even though Midi - music sounds simular, we wouldn't want musics with massive differences in style.

Example: Medeival Trolls bane theme, then Indianna jones style routes outside it would sounds pretty odd.

-Matt
Appreciator of you good developer assistants.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

:D
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Here Arvemor, these are the three I decided to upload at the beginning of last summer.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4hwmwhm5zwe
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mjn4imvgzfj
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kggqoozgz3m

Meh.... I sorta made them like how any old nes/snes RPG music would sound. I had atleast 5 more but they are gone forever now =/
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

.wav is compatible with java, isn't it?
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Those are nice Salathe.
What are you using to synthesize those sounds?
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

I use a guitar based program, its easiest for me. It's called Powertab and is free to download.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Okay, here's the newest one, sorry it's taken so long to get on...had to borrow that cable I keep whinging about! :)

I used some of the character portraits I've made so far...hope people don't mind! Some didn't come out to well, especially those meant for low res....
Anyway, not important. I'm posting this song. "Sleeping Dragons":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szQfT_S0pPA

Oh yeah, this can be edited really easily, just post suggestions if you have any.

P.S. This was intended more for after a battle, or for the dragon's cave.
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Lol couldnt help but notice the pics of Saigwin, You and Tirred :P

On other matters i have got a few songs ready and il post the link after i've uploaded them.... one problem, their a bit to D&B for Illarion :( I realize i cant make soft stuff.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Lol, yes that's us! Cool, I look forward to hearing your stuff. Post a link as soon as schedule allows! What's the D&B? My guess: Dynamic and bold? Probably wrong...anyway.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

D&B = Drum and Bass, I fucking love that stuff, upload!
Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Drathe »

Yeh man you do that Drum and Base

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhVFLmF4QPs