Any epic stuff?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Arvemor

Any epic stuff?

Post by Arvemor »

Hey guys, how often does really..."EPIC" stuff happen?

Like, I know we have the war with the Salks, etc....but I mean more like player stuff? Have we had things like massacres, or some player everyone trusted turned out to be evil and killed some friends? Mass Perma Kill, anything like that? (I know it's all sounding rather morbid, at the moment :twisted: ) But yeah...maybe a long time grudge between people of power, stuff like that?
Just asking out of interest...such things are fun!
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Real large things that are driven by players happen close to never. The most are fine focusing on their small world and hope that no one effects it in any way.

Nitram
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Oh...that's a bit of a shame...when I play I like to shake things up a bit...noone has any cool/funny stories to tell? I'd love to hear them!
This is an opportunity to blab about some excellent RP you had!
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

I blackmailed the whole island to build me a summer residence.
Now I rent it to the undeads.

Epic enough?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Well let me tell you out of experience...if you want to start something its gona take a looong time, the problem here is that the engine, as good as it might be, it still poses incredibly hard difficulties to overcome.
I wouldn't say that the player base is boring as such and they never doing something, the problem more so is that there are just too many restrictions to overcome and even if you have a quest it always depends on the gm you work with, obviously its a free time job for them, so a gm will have just a short amount of time to deal with you in the end, that and adding that an "epic" quest relies on other players aswell, than you can guess what happens, either you loose interrest because you are missing your questgm depending on your and the gm's free time or some important char ig for your quest leaves or some of your opinions cross with other gm's opinions..which results in a stalled quest aswell, all those small problems add up to failed quests, which is why many people simply won't be bothering to even try.

But after all the most epic quest Illarion has ever seen, if you missed it..it was Darloks reign over the Island, has been done by a player mainly, of course he had gm support, but thats the thing, a gm char who makes a new quest always comes from "some unknown place" its almost never one of "us", of course the temple and other people try to overrun the Island, but it always seems like a try..nothing really "hah in your face, now deal with it" instead of "hey there might be a problem here and there, maybe investigate before soemthing bad happens"

Another thing that might make quests that involve sneakyness and or thinking incredibly boring is, that most chars simply do not "think" for themselfs, you honestly need to push a players face into a puddle of piss and tell him "bad kitty" or a char most of the time will never even get suspicious, players take the game at it is and want to be taken by the gm hand to tell them "hey you really should be feeling suspicious about this situation eh?", it always seems that an ooc influence is needed to turn a char on "thinking".
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Well mate join the Militia :) and trust NO-ONE!!! Trolls Bane is run by courupt nobles and something big will happen soon trust me cos the tention is the place is at a all time high
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

There are plenty of player quests, most involve a few key chars rather then game-wide. Look at the quest area on front of the page. Some last longer then others. Epic quests are harder for a player to do involving much planning and occasional gm support.

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=24008 ...a quest to bring a char from the dead lasting about 2-3 months with some gm support (twice during that time) and a lot of player support (perma'd at least two chars with player agreement during the quest).

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... ght=bashyr ..a quest lasting about 3-4 months once started involving a lot of chars in game with more gm support.

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=31516 ..... a quest still going on involving the temple and Nordmark.

These are just some examples of mainly player run quests with gm backing though there are many more , reading the RPG threads and looking at the quests posted can help (some don't post unless it is game-wide on the official quest board).
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

I think it would be a gross understatement to say that Darlok's quest had "some GM support" (when you factor in that certain aspects of the game were turned off for the duration of the quest, which lasted for a considerable amount of time). It was a fun quest though, but relied so much on coercion that was supported by the staff that to call it a player quest is rather misleading to those who did not experience it firsthand.

Anyhow, I did stuff without GM support, however unpopular the actions might have been. ;)

Wouldn't call that necessarily a quest though.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

That was a rather low blow Cromwell, its not like you can "change" something in Illarion without gm support, can you dig even one field without Gm help...no....can you create something that is not supported by the engine without Gm help...yet again..no.

Saying that a player needs support for a big quest as Darlok and thus claiming its a "gm quest" is quiet frankly ridicoulus, Darlok atleast didn't get a whole castle financed by ooc connections and for free, he blackmailed people to uncover an old castle, had to deal with those who attacked the workers, at times where you didn't see sniper attacks and those happend almost regular and without any rp at all and much more, of course he was gm supported, becuase a player ~can't~ do this with the engine, depending on the fact that the engine is simply not that well develpoded and even thinks that might be logical possible still can't be done ig, but the fact that Darlok has made the plan and was a char ig for a long time is the big difference to a gm char that comes out of the blue.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The question was answered and I sense a descent amount of flame potential due the last posts. And to avoid this: lock.

Nitram