Item loss.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Joxini Baenra

Item loss.

Post by Joxini Baenra »

Im quite angry right now but i think this is something that needs to be addressed.
Dieing.
I think you should not lose as much as you do. Or lessen the reprocutions of dieing. I just died and lost my bag, everything in my belt, One item from my hand slots and my shoes. Now is that fair? How am i suppose to get it back? I say either lessen the reprocutions as in only lose your bag, or atleast heal them to half health so they have a CHANCE at getting there things back.
Im not going to lie, i die all the time. I get distracted while killing a monster and his friends come and kill me. I see how thats my fault but i still say i should be able to get my things back a little easier without having to organize a troupe then my stuff disappears by the time i get there.
Just saying. Its getting annoying and im getting quite tired of having to get new stuff.
Opinions?
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Personal I think it is fine as it is.
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

I personally disagree. I think dieing should be much more severe then what it is now, It should be something that characters fear, not just a minor inconvenience.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

I agree with Evan
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Sometimes it is nice just to keep the armor :wink: . I am good with the way it is set up now. The monsters are relatively slow and usually can be outrun especially if you see more coming and don't feel ready to kill them all. The uncertainty of a fighter i.e. judging "can I fight these or should I run", "what is the best approach to fight this particular monster" etc. .... makes it more fun then crafting IMO. If you find yourself being ghosted a lot perhaps your best bet is to ask a seasoned fighter to "teach" you.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I think death isnt' painful enough personally.

A bag costs you very little coppers - put all the precious stuff in the depot, use PRACTICE armour (in case something bad happens) and only fight what you can - and/or go with a group.

And you'll be fine.

Of course there are rare cases when you die and it aint your fault - like getting lagged and some NPC mage burns you to death - but for other cases, its fine.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

I once logged in a character, and completely forgot I had logged in... So I hear fireballs coming from my speakers, and I was like.... What?

About five minutes later I see that Illarion had been opened... Char died, most items were lost. /sadness

But I agree with whoever said dying should be worse. It might keep people from running at a horde of monsters yelling "YAAAY"
Orioli

Post by Orioli »

This thread is hilarious! You die in all games! It's just stuff. It's not that hard to get stuff, learn to fish! If the game where so easy you would finish with it in a day. I love the whole thing, don't change it for such a silly reason.
Learn to store items in the depot!!!
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Well i have the solution.... Dont die :) if you dont die you wont lose your stuff... its clever how it works aint it? i thought of it myself...btw TIRRENDS GAY!
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Evan Ross wrote:I personally disagree. I think dieing should be much more severe then what it is now, It should be something that characters fear, not just a minor inconvenience.
So go max out your skills and carry around really nice stuff :P THEN see how you fear death.
Bregor Ayun

Post by Bregor Ayun »

most important thing is to always store the rare or expensive stuff in your depot as Hadrian pointed out, even more so when you do not die that often, because one tends to get careless.... like when i lost three magical swords, a magical armor and the key to the keep in the southern forest last week... (e.g. dont use a magical longsword as a torch). of course i was angry as well, but only about myself, one can't really blame the engine.

still, I think dying could be way worse, at least you keep your clothes and stuff as a ghost and not lose everything. i think its one random item from what you carry on your body, innit.
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

Don't want to lose your stuff and skill? Then don't put yourself in a situation where you could get clouded. :wink:
Ssar'ney

Post by Ssar'ney »

To be honest, I think the punishment for getting clouded is quite hard.
The loss of equipment does not really matter, there are countless ways to make easy money ig to buy new.
But for the higher levels (95+), one can need more than a week intensive playing to reach the next swirly.
If one would just loose one skill-point for running into a guy doing pk or an unexpected npc that does *fireball, fireball, fireball, cloud*
one week of mindless "powergaming" is much.
Though one should keep an healthy fear from getting into such situations, so I believe things like they are now to be appropriate.
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

ah memories...

so many times dieing, but most recently at the first TB battle, when I was lagging like no other, a horde of uber salks swarmed me, I finally tried to log to fix the lag, and when I got back on i realised i died and becuase it finally registered the log mere seconds before the server crashed, I ended up losing two magic daggers, two magic longswords, a fire waraxe, a TB shield of the Sky, and various armor parts that had been loaned out to people that DIDNT log before it crashed. Then of course with the other restarts i was smarter about it and didn't log each of the three other times I died :P

Moral of the story- You can always lose more than what you did. I'm sure some other PO will come along and trump my losses by a landslide.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

In game, do you actually refer to non-permadeath as dying? Or do you just say..."Oh, I was heavily wounded."
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

I tend to roleplay it as a trip to Cherga's realm where your soul is either forgiven for its woes and given another chance (at the cross) or sent to the realms of death forever.

... or that I was thoroughly beat up if the roleplay really sucked.
Silo

Post by Silo »

I roleplay it as being wounded to the point of unconsiousness, or... Well, I'm not quite sure. Can I hear someone else's opinion on what to RP when clouded?
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Yeah, that's basically what I do, but I got defeated by someone once. She came across me again and threatened to "kill me again."
That's a bit harsh isn't it? I didn't really die, did I?
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

It's a blurry area the GMs don't seem to care to clarify to us puny players. :P
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

Silo wrote:I roleplay it as being wounded to the point of unconsiousness, or... Well, I'm not quite sure. Can I hear someone else's opinion on what to RP when clouded?
In training situations I would RP as having exhausted myself or perhaps lost consciousness. In fighting, it would be either losing consciousness (again -- boy, we're faint fellows, aren't we?), or having died. :P
Silo

Post by Silo »

I wouldn't really rp it as dying, because dying's so... permanent. Though in my opinion, dying should happen a hell of a lot more in Illarion. I'm tired of all the heros running around with pointy objects, diving into battle without fear. Their largest consequence: A small loss of skill, and items. Ohh, the horrors. You run at 5 warriors and get shredded, you're dead, end of story. It'd make Illarion a lot more... Interesting. I know why it doesn't happen, but... *shrugs*
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

I agree the death system is punative in Illarion compared to some other games. It's especially hard on new characters because the little bit they lose is really everything they have. Maybe it would be possible to protect a new character on a new account? Something like a week grace period while they're fumbling around where there is no item loss when ghosted?

For the established characters, I think the Illa death system is a necessary evil. Regaining that high level swirlie is really not that big a deal. As far as how to RP it... I generally RP a serious injury. I've seen lots of variations along that line that were all good. I've seen lots of players refuse to RP it too. *shrugs* Not as interesting, but certainly often enough done.
Guy Navon

Post by Guy Navon »

What about a death limit?
Clouded 30 times then Cherga's sick of seeing you and she keeps you as her slave :)
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

pazel wrote:What about a death limit?
Clouded 30 times then Cherga's sick of seeing you and she keeps you as her slave :)
Now, only the PO can decide when to perma a char, I would prefer to keep it that way.

I was told and have RP'd that being ghosted and going to the cross is "severely wounded" and RP it that way, taking sometimes more then the game mech's to heal depending on the "wounds".