Rogue buisness!

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Post by Llama »

Drathe wrote:as is per the magic system, you need to find a teacher in game.
I'll let my friend give you the answer -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=e ... WaLxFIVX1s
Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Drathe »

But... Didn't he lose to the power of the people :twisted:
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

Mr. Cromwell wrote:I oppose any thieving system as long as catching people is as huge pain in the ass as it currently is. Simply because a system where the success of thieving no longer depends from the cooperation of the victims, but where catching the thief depends on his cooperation will suck ass.

You should consider that thieves are on average no better roleplayed than the victims.

Furthermore, such thieving needs to be well thought out and balanced, as I estimate two or three weeks max until we have the first fully skilled, maxed thief chars running around and pickpocketing everyone and their grandmothers.
True. But think of it this way - you need very good perception and dexterity to pull pickpocketing off right, yes? Fighters would have an advantage over these characters, because their hightest attributes are fighting-oriented attributes, like strength. So somebody who steals would be very much risking death if he were caught.

I'm all about this proposal.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Dude, where did you just pop out of?
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

I haven't been back a while. Got bored this weekend, decided to stop by. :)
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Bloodhearte wrote:
Mr. Cromwell wrote:I oppose any thieving system as long as catching people is as huge pain in the ass as it currently is. Simply because a system where the success of thieving no longer depends from the cooperation of the victims, but where catching the thief depends on his cooperation will suck ass.

You should consider that thieves are on average no better roleplayed than the victims.

Furthermore, such thieving needs to be well thought out and balanced, as I estimate two or three weeks max until we have the first fully skilled, maxed thief chars running around and pickpocketing everyone and their grandmothers.
True. But think of it this way - you need very good perception and dexterity to pull pickpocketing off right, yes? Fighters would have an advantage over these characters, because their hightest attributes are fighting-oriented attributes, like strength. So somebody who steals would be very much risking death if he were caught.

I'm all about this proposal.
As far as I know, unless the thief uses a concussion weapon, then strength is one of the least important fighting stats for him. Dex is important for daggers (poisoned daggers and poison skill are just murder, btw) and even perception plays a role in combat. So.. really, there's no advantage for "fighters" that could not be offset by powergaming skills and using poisoned weapons. :)
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

But put a rogue dressed in a leather armor to fight a fully armored knight whielding a grand sword and a massive shield. That would be fun to watch... not for the theif though :D
Or try to outrun an arrow shot at you by a skilled marksman... or try dodging a mage's fireball.. :P
Btw, in my mind, a rogue is not a fighting machine, but a true opportunitist.. he is not a good fighter, he tries to avoid it at all times, but if he has to fight, he wouldnt do a fair fight, because he'd get his ass handed to him. Rogues are stalkers, knowing exactly when the mark is the most vulnerable to their attack.. something like guerilla warfare, hit and run tactics, if you will. They are able to deliver massive burst damage for a limited amount of time, but they would never engage in a long fight, because they would surely lose to the superiority of their opponent's fighting technique.

If a rogue system comes, im sure that it will have it's advantages and disavantages so that it's perfectly balanced with the game. And yes, i think that rogue teaching would be a fun factor.. would really add a nice underground aspect to the game.

@Hadrian: you ask why to implement lockpicking while you can do nothing with it.. there's so many more reasons to sneak into someone's home than to steal their secret Playboy stash ... :P

Since a long time rogue chars have been made, but the only thing they could possibly do in the game was to PK people to get their stuff.. that's hardly what a rogue is.
I'd love to see shady people that go behing your back and stab you in the arse, thiefs that empty your pockets while their buddy is keeping you busy with a casual chit-chat, bounty-hunters thatsearch for their target all over the island, finnaly to catch it off guard and strike, assassins that stalk their prey from the shadows, deciding exactly when to apply that deadly blow to take out their mark, etc etc, just use your imagination... the possibilities are endless.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Grim wrote: more reasons to sneak into someone's home than to steal their secret Playorc stash ...
Fixed
Llama

Post by Llama »

Corrected Version of Grim wrote: more reasons to sneak into someone's home than to steal their secret Playorc stash ...
Aside from taking screenshots of being in Silverbrand?

What's the reason? Surprise killing?
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

Watching the queen get her royal armpit shave.