Hunting

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Rye

Hunting

Post by Rye »

Right now the only two food animals to hunt are deer and rabbits I believe. I admit I have not hunted the big cats yet but from what I gather you get no meat from a kill as you also do not get meat from wolves. Swine and cattle are not hunted. You just follow them around and bash them until they fall.
Hunting deer is basically the same thing but you have the difficulty of threading your way through the trees to keep the animal in sight.(I am referring to hunting with a bow of course.) Rabbits are killed the same as the domesticated animals. You follow the poor rabbit around and whack at it until it dies.
I would love to see the wild animals given a more sporting chance. When you target a wild animal it will react when you cause the first damage by moving away from the hunter rather than the random movement that often brings it right back to the hunter that is trying to kill it. If this happens
then the hunter is forced to follow(track) the prey to some extent. It wouldn't be a bad thing if the prey animals were also able to move a little faster? Hunting would become a bit more of a challenge
and I think a bit more enjoyable. It should be difficult if not impossible to hunt a deer with a sword!
I also have an idea for a new game animal. Woodcocks or Partridge. A wild bird that would be found in the less wooded areas. It would be sitting on the ground until approached. When the hunter gets too close the bird will fly away a short distance. It should be impossible to get any closer than two tiles to the animal until it is killed. No hunting the birds with hand weapons would be possible. The hunter will learn how close they can get before taking a shot. It would give meat and entrails and perhaps every so often an egg.(Since in our world there are no domesticated fowl. And yet we are able to bake cakes without eggs!) They would be found all over the map but not in great numbers.
Christopher..Rigden

Post by Christopher..Rigden »

Eggs and chickens sounds plausible... with chicken meat...
Thain

Post by Thain »

I've thought similar things for some time: I'm all for it.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

the thing with the more skittish animals i proposed not to long ago. and i still think it would be cool, AND of course finding eggs and having birds you can hunt would allso be awesome..but, meh...i dont think it will be implemented anytime soon.
Llama

Post by Llama »

You forgot sheep up there ;)

I'm not sure how possible NPCs escaping is, however it would be very nice to see that ingame.
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

I'd actually think it'd be great to impliment chickens and eggs IG.
Think of all the new dishes (Or +1 ingredients for some, like cakes).. and new sacrifices, :twisted:
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

like egg and bacon, eggs from the chicken and bacon from well..pigs :)
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Olaf Tingvatn wrote:like egg and bacon, eggs from the chicken and bacon from well..pigs :)
YES BACONZ!!11!!one!eleven.
Fried eggs are good too. >.>
Rye

Post by Rye »

"I'm not sure how possible NPCs escaping is, however it would be very nice to see that ingame."

There is a game called Oberin that has exactly that. The npc animal will fight you until it is wounded to a certain point and then it tries to escape.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Rye wrote:"I'm not sure how possible NPCs escaping is, however it would be very nice to see that ingame."

There is a game called Oberin that has exactly that. The npc animal will fight you until it is wounded to a certain point and then it tries to escape.
Your point being..?
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

We have currently no real KI. The KI Server side is nothing more than "If i can fight i attack the person with lowest hp i can see" "If i can't fight i do a very stupid movement".

All others actions are scripted. But scripts are slow. Have some real KI in scripts will decrease the server speed drastically. Maybe I can add some basic behaviors like "fleeing", "attacking", "waiting" which can be changed during scripts.

For all other proposals like eggs and chickens we need the graphics.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Cassandra Fjurin wrote:"If i can fight i attack the person with lowest hp i can see"
:o

Didn't know that.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

then you havent taken someone who is worse at you in fighting skill to any monster spawning locations..monsters 'allways' go for the weaker fighter...at least as far as i have seen :)
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I play a mage and I've never noticed monsters going for me when I'm with Dom or someone like that. I thought they went for:
A. The first person who targets them if they've not initiated combat yet.
B. The first person they come into range of.

And I thought they approached the nearest person.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Olaf Tingvatn wrote:then you havent taken someone who is worse at you in fighting skill to any monster spawning locations..monsters 'allways' go for the weaker fighter...at least as far as i have seen :)
No they don't..
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Me experienced: monsters attack always me if Im around with somebody else.
In the case they are fighting somebody else they start to attack me as soon as I' m in neighbouring field. They dont walk to me but use the opportunity.

Btw. Strength and Endurance are close to 20..
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

AlexRose wrote:I play a mage and I've never noticed monsters going for me when I'm with Dom or someone like that. I thought they went for:
A. The first person who targets them if they've not initiated combat yet.
B. The first person they come into range of.

And I thought they approached the nearest person.
The lowes hp thingie is that was the server source said. Scripts can change this behavior. And monster attack the player in sight if you are behind them, they don't can see you. But if you attack them from behind, they will turn around to see you. Maybe this explains A.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

As soon as you ctrl click a monster, no matter where you are, he will focus on you.

True of animals too, they'll face you and slide around randomly.