Sorry :)

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Alexander Knight

Sorry :)

Post by Alexander Knight »

Sorry guys signed off last night and only now got to read the message properly.... i thought it said only to achieve a common goal but im wrong :) and is it that bad naming PO's chars :S I dont see the harm... But then again my only char is Alex.... So people call me Ryan OOC Please lol

love you all :)

[EDIT] Oh and Drakon doesnt it state in the rules that this game has mature content in it?!
All insults directed at the person behind the screen, and not the character, are forbidden. Also strictly forbidden are all religious hostile, racist or sexist remarks and names.
Negative out of character comments of any kind, e.g. about another player's roleplaying ability or accusations of rule breaking, are forbidden.

And the way i swore was appropriate for the situation and it was not slang E.G Bitch= Female dog
Bastard=Someone without a father
{Edited here} I just remembered one more thing Watch your language in game Alex. you get a little much There are kids that do play this game as well, they may know it all ready but they don't need to hear it here you have been warned by Felix and I heard you say things twice that weren't acceptable for a game that has kids playing on it. so use your head again or you may be banned.

Sorry I usually don't post this kind of post but it needed to be said.

Drakon Gerwulf
Last edited by Alexander Knight on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Let me give you some good advice

Multiple threads irritate people - so stop using multiple threads, if the thread got locked, then let it die already. Don't start any other threads about itt.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

A. Those are ingame rules, not forum rules.
B. Accusations =/= insults.
C. Constructive criticism =/= insults.
D. A bastard is someone whose parents conceived them before they were married.
E. Say dog then.
F. Stop making threads.
Alexander Knight

AlexRose wrote:A. Those are ingame rules, not forum rules.
B. Accusations =/= insults.
C. Constructive criticism =/= insults.
D. A bastard is someone whose parents conceived them before they were married.
E. Say dog then.
F. Stop making threads.

Thats the thing i did say them in game.. fair enough i used B***h in a derogatory sense but thats part of RP is it not?
Christopher..Rigden

Post by Christopher..Rigden »

lawl, I swear all the time and nout happens... it's just part of the game and my character.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

"Negative out of character comments of any kind, e.g. about another player's roleplaying ability or accusations of rule breaking, are forbidden. "

That's what I meant with point A. And it's pure bs anyway, you can accuse another play of rule breaking and if someone runs round pking people saying lol nubz I'm not sure anyone would care if you called them a bad roleplayer.

And exactly, wow, "bitch" has a meaning. That totally renders it non offensive and not at all a swear word, even though you used it in an offensive, swearing manner. Swearing at people isn't roleplay. That's like going on a pking spree and saying it's okay, it was roleplay, your character is a psychopath. There are plenty of other ways to insult people without swearing, and there's no need for it.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

AlexRose wrote:"Negative out of character comments of any kind, e.g. about another player's roleplaying ability or accusations of rule breaking, are forbidden. "

That's what I meant with point A. And it's pure bs anyway, you can accuse another play of rule breaking and if someone runs round pking people saying lol nubz I'm not sure anyone would care if you called them a bad roleplayer.

And exactly, wow, "bitch" has a meaning. That totally renders it non offensive and not at all a swear word, even though you used it in an offensive, swearing manner. Swearing at people isn't roleplay. That's like going on a pking spree and saying it's okay, it was roleplay, your character is a psychopath. There are plenty of other ways to insult people without swearing, and there's no need for it.
Calm down alex.
Llama

Post by Llama »

AlexRose wrote:And exactly, wow, "bitch" has a meaning.
Actually all swear-words have a meaning. That;s why you can use them in a sentence, otherwise they wouldn't make sense.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

That's my point. Just because they have another definition other than as an insult doesn't make them okay. Especially when it's not even used in that context.
Alexander Knight

AlexRose wrote:That's my point. Just because they have another definition other than as an insult doesn't make them okay. Especially when it's not even used in that context.
But thats the thing i am rping using swear words... if someone attacks your mate or tries to rob you, you aint going to call them a bad person and a naughty boy are you?! your going to call them a bastard and tell them if you see them again your going to cut out their throat. lol
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

AlexRose wrote:
That's my point. Just because they have another definition other than as an insult doesn't make them okay. Especially when it's not even used in that context.

But thats the thing i am rping using swear words... if someone attacks your mate or tries to rob you, you aint going to call them a bad person and a naughty boy are you?! your going to call them a bastard and tell them if you see them again your going to cut out their throat. lol
That is true actually, very true. If you are going to RP a character at least semi-realistically in a mature environment, which I'm sure would include Illarion, certain not-so-savory words are going to come up. Of course, I recall in the rules that it's okay to insult a character, but not the player, correct? If you RP your character insulting another character, wouldn't that be valid, legal RP? GM, correct me if I am wrong.

To my knowledge, only a handful of commonly used swear words would fit in this sort of game. Ones that would fit, pardon my language (not) are as folllows - damn, damnit, bastard, bitch, whore, and that's about it. Since Illarion has a polytheistic pantheon, words like goddamnit or goddamn would not fit at all, as these imply a monotheistic faith, which Illarion just does not have in it's background. More modern curse words would not fit either, nor would non-fantasy oriented racial epithets (fantasy ones like stumpy for dwarf, dandelion-eater or long-ears for elf, perhaps even tusker or trog for orc, might work), and the word ass back in medieval times applied to a type of pack animal.

However, to enforce such a thing, wouldn't one have to write a list of medieval fantasy appropriate curse words and make it publically known that using words not on the list could result in admonishments?

But yeah, I guess many others in the said situation, where they are being robbed and they choose to stand up for themselves and fight back against the bandits would probably say such things, to get their point across. It's how a character might act depending on their personality.

If any part of this is wrong, I ask that a GM, and not a fellow forum-goer or player, correct this. Thank you.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Yes, but in real life you also don't say "Greetings, dear fellow, how art thou this fine morrow?" and all that, do you?

Illarion is a fantasy game. It doesn't have the same history of Earth. Maybe because swear words are just anglo saxon words that were kept around when the French moved in and dramatically changed the English language (very low intelligence, peasant-ish words), they were never even invented in illarion.

But regardless, there are plenty of rude words that noone takes offense at nowadays but in medieval times would've been seen as very rude. Just throw around some "Knave"s or whatever. Or just say "#me curses" or whatever.

And just because it happens doesn't mean you have to rp it. Try cybering or taking a dump in great detail in the middle of town and see how the staff react.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Bitch is just fine. Hell, you can find that particular word from one of the god descriptions too.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

AlexRose wrote:Taking a dump in great detail in the middle of town and see how the staff react.
brb.

In all seriousness, if i played Illa as much as i used to nowadays, i'd probably use something like ((Swearword)) or &^$#* in place of a full blown swear, since it's got the same meaning, and it's within the rules.