More Proposals?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Alexander Knight

More Proposals?

Post by Alexander Knight »

Right iv decided instead of making separate ones and have like 1000000000 different topics im going to write them all here and update them if its okay with the GM's :) (And Llama face)

Ok 1. Actually have some char weapon limits cos i saw an orc mage the other day.... and correct me if im wrong but shouldnt orcs be too stupid to use wand and actual words? same as dwarfs wouldnt use wand or anything elven and elfs wouldnt use waraxe's

2. Maybe bring back some way of learning different languages but have a barrier on it and limit it to one language per person (Excluding ancient) So like Orc and dwarfs wouldnt learn elvish and human and elfs wouldnt learn orcish.... but allows exeptions like major political leaders would be able to learn multiple languages.
There will be more coming as a reply to keep Llama busy :)
Llama

Post by Llama »

1. Those are orc shamans. Don't see what's so bad.

2. While the idea of learning other languages is a good surface idea, it kinda ruins the entire concept of having racial languages in the first place. They're not a private way of talking with your race any more.
Alexander Knight

Hadrian_Abela wrote:1. Those are orc shamans. Don't see what's so bad.

2. While the idea of learning other languages is a good surface idea, it kinda ruins the entire concept of having racial languages in the first place. They're not a private way of talking with your race any more.
Thats why i said limit them and make it hard to learn, something you have to spend weeks on not just flick a couple of pages, maybe even do it orally not just reading (No dirty jokes)

And do orcs have shamans? do they even have women?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Still means that its useless to speak your racial language when people can listen to you. It was tried once, people ended up learning all the languages and the GMs threw a fit and removed them all.
-
Yes they do. And babies come from women.
Alexander Knight

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Still means that its useless to speak your racial language when people can listen to you. It was tried once, people ended up learning all the languages and the GMs threw a fit and removed them all.
-
Yh hence why i said limit it, im thinking of LOTR like Aragorn can talk elfish. and Orcs come from the ground
Llama

Post by Llama »

Orcs don't come out of the ground
http://illarion.org/illarion/races/us_orcs.php
-
And LOTR is not an MMORPG. What's the point of speaking elvish if you have humans who can speak it to?
Alexander Knight

Alexander Knight wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Still means that its useless to speak your racial language when people can listen to you. It was tried once, people ended up learning all the languages and the GMs threw a fit and removed them all.
-
Yh hence why i said limit it, im thinking of LOTR like Aragorn can talk elfish. and Orcs come from the ground
http://www.stormfront.org/forum/archive ... 57161.html

http://www.sheilaomalley.com/archives/000731.html
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

1) More details! Which weapons (items) should be usable under which conditions? Skills? Race? Attributes?

2) Why?
Alexander Knight

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Orcs don't come out of the ground
http://illarion.org/illarion/races/us_orcs.php
-
And LOTR is not an MMORPG. What's the point of speaking elvish if you have humans who can speak it to?
Actally orcs were once elfs apparently look: http://tolkien.cro.net/orcs/origin.html
Alexander Knight

Estralis Seborian wrote:1) More details! Which weapons (items) should be usable under which conditions? Skills? Race? Attributes?

2) Why?
Well you wouldnt see halflings or elves holding massive axes same as you wouldnt find an orc playing the harp or being a druid. just obvious things like that halflings holding 2 handerdswords? nah orcs playing lovly music wooing a beatiful elf? big no no
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Since when was illarion LOTR?

Go play LOTRO if you want that backstory.
Alexander Knight

AlexRose wrote:Since when was illarion LOTR?

Go play LOTRO if you want that backstory.
Since LOTR brought fantasy to the mainstream :?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Yes, but this isn't Lord of the Rings.

Oh and also:

Good times.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Limiting weapons to certain races goes toward a class system-like thing that limits what you can do, me no likey dat.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

I think that learning languages is not a bad idea if:

1.) The cost is high enough, meaning that sufficient amount of coins are taken out of the game (2,5++ gps)
2.) You can only learn one (max two!) new languages, with intelligence limits on your learning capacity, varying from language to language.
2a.) People with intelligence of less than 10 would not be able to learn any more languages at all.
2b.) People with intelligence of 10 or more would be able to learn 1 new language, as long as they have sufficient int for the language they wish to learn.
2c.) People with intelligence of 18 or more would be able to learn two new languages, but the gp-cost would be increased for the second language
2d.) Languages would have specific requirements in terms of intelligence (eg. Human* 15 int, Elven 17 int, Orcish 10 int, dwarven 12 int.. so and so)
3.) Learning languages is not only the result of you PG'ing it, but also actual time spent playing the char, meaning that every once a while you get a swirlie in it, but mastering the language should take quite a while (imo).

The reason for that is that all racial languages are not equal anyhow. It would be incredibly easy to get a human or elf on your side to interprete what the others are discussing if you would be expecting such situation, whereas finding a goblin, gnome or a fairy would be near impossible. This means that some racial languages are more useful than others. Besides, the fact that players know that the other side is completely unable to understand what they are saying is rather unsatisfactory in my eyes as well. If you talk german in front of me, even though I am not a german, I may be able to understand even if you do underestimate me. ;) In illarion, this won't be the case.

*Human-example may seem high, but this is simply to make it as less-obvious-choice for chars as a second language, as it would be if the requirement was ~10.

Edit:
One possible thing would of course be to allow anyone with int 10 or more to learn a language, but install a cap on learning it which depends on your intelligence vs. the required intelligence of the language. Meaning that, say.. your intelligence is 11 and the language you wish to learn requires 15, you can only learn X%-of the max skill.
Last edited by Mr. Cromwell on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alexander Knight

AlexRose wrote:Yes, but this isn't Lord of the Rings.

Oh and also:

Good times.
I hate you :| Lol joking dude... I thought the GM's Banned That or is it an old char?
And is there anyway of seeing all the skills? When i bring the skills window up i cant see wrestling :S

And another suggestion... What about causing double damage when attacking from behind? i mean can you block 2 enemies at the same tome and receive the same amount of damage? so that would give some point to flanking people
Llama

Post by Llama »

Alexander Knight wrote: And is there anyway of seeing all the skills? When i bring the skills window up i cant see wrestling :S
If you haven't practiced wrestling, you can't see wrestling.
And another suggestion... What about causing double damage when attacking from behind? i mean can you block 2 enemies at the same tome and receive the same amount of damage? so that would give some point to flanking people
There's already a point to flanking people because you already get a bonus if you attack the side or behind.

Next?
Alexander Knight

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Alexander Knight wrote: And is there anyway of seeing all the skills? When i bring the skills window up i cant see wrestling :S
I have its still blue but i have got it... you can see half of tactics and none of wrestling.. like the message is too long for the page
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

The BARS over the skill word are the exp amount, it reaches a certain length (usually way past the word) and you gain one level.
Alexander Knight

Retlak wrote:....

The BARS over the skill word are the exp amount, it reaches a certain length (usually way past the word) and you gain one level.
*claps hands*
Well done... now what i was on about not being able to see my wrestling skill.
If you look at the pic above the magic transfreto (dno what its called) is only half showing... well thats my tactics and below tactics is my wrestling... hence whi i cant see it
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

It's not an old char, it's the same char I used now (although I've played it since my first day).

As for the languages; we used to have language books. Then one day I decided I'd go on a crusade to learn every language. I borrowed books off people and swapped them with other people etc.

Nalcaryos even betrayed the trust of his dwarf friends, in return for 3 books :P .

Anyway, during a quest I got summoned by Martin, who asked how I had all the languages. Then a week or two later all the other languages got wiped :/ . Apparently too many people had gained other languages because I'd traded the books around so much that a lot of other people learnt these languages along the way.

The bad thing is that I had Elven from about my first week, 'cause I took a firnis blossom and a nightangel blossom and sibanac or whatever that elf guy wanted and he taught me 1% Elven. As you see from that screenshot over a few years that got up to about 50% but alas it was untimely ripped.

Oh well, anyway, there's the story of why we don't have other languages ingame. Hope you enjoyed the story, sorry again to anyone who lost languages because of my actions. ;)
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Alexander Knight wrote:

*claps hands*
If you look at the pic above the magic transfreto (dno what its called) is only half showing... well thats my tactics and below tactics is my wrestling... hence whi i cant see it
THEN STOP POWERGAMING
Alexander Knight

Retlak wrote:
Alexander Knight wrote:

*claps hands*
THEN STOP POWERGAMING
If i was power gaming i would of said its on yellow not blue dipshit, and if you ask anyone ig about alex he has only 2 professions, fishing and fighting. although he is not good with either
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

I know what I'm talking about, and I should hint to you that my capital letter post was a joke, you don't have to prove to me that you're not a powergamer.

Still going to call me a dipshit kid?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Matt is the god of skills, small child. Bow and fear his wrath.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Dipshits.
Christopher..Rigden

Post by Christopher..Rigden »

I would say something... but last time it got me banned...
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

I don't mind the insults, It's just when there is no effort to interpret between jokes and serious posts that annoys me.

Ah go ahead and say it Chris!
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Hey remember Chris aka Raven?

HE WAS A BETTER POWERGAMER THAN YOU'LL EVER BE!

:O I went there.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Raven?