What makes Illarion special to you?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Greisling
Beginner NPC Scripter
Location: Go for more communication between Players and Staff

Post by Greisling »

I agree to Retlak and Dusty :-)

And a lol to Retlak's second comment :-D

Guess it is him who makes Illa special ;-)
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

<3
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

AlexRose wrote:How can you quote him? You weren't even there to appreciate 99% of his points.
You dont have to be ig to appreciate the feel same as you didnt have to be alive to appreciate Elvis :)

But i was just asking how many times he swore
orgis

Post by orgis »

well ye kindy do in this case ryan, I wasn't around for the lich wars and all that stuff so I anit gonna say "Oh aye ah remeber that! it was fab!"

Elvis was recorded, the feeling IG wasn't :P

as for how manytimes he swore, i'm pretty sure you could count that up :wink:
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

6 if you include FFS and Damn which are technicallycurses.... or is that bloody :? oh well Meh
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

No other game lets me smoke canabis the wrong way around, it's just epic.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:No other game lets me smoke canabis the wrong way around, it's just epic.
Lol man.
Yvanna

Post by Yvanna »

I am only a recent convert ... and lately have been very busy in RL ... so have not been around much. (Trying to get a domain up and running at the very small school my two youngest kids are at has been way too time consuming for my Illa habit ... I will be finished and back again soon)
Also, being from the antipodes has unfortunately meant that there are very few other players on line during my free-est times but in spite of that ... the roleplaying, the character interactions have been my main reasons for playing.

I am older than alot of other players and come from a pnp dungeons and dragons background (I have kids old enough to be playing lol) and have never had any interest in the sort of online games I saw my son playing. I too have never managed to figure out how they can be called "role playing" games. Role playing was what happened during a good DnD session ... and wasnt even vaguely related to the stuff I was seeing.

For a number of reasons, I went searching for an online game that actually did involve RP. Now I am pretty good at searching ... (too much time in libraries back when everything was done by index cards in long skinny drawers :-) ) and I know my way around computers pretty well (long time hobby - now my occupation) but I came up with ... exactly one.

During my short time here there have been alot of things that have annoyed me ... and (especially when you get kids romping through pking for some half thought out tortured soul plot that really isnt what I would have called RP...) I have considered leaving. But I like it here. I like the way the community (mostly) feels, I enjoy most of the RP and my character has developed in ways I never anticipated when I created her.
The love between Yvanna and Saigwin was especially unexpected - and a real high point for me. And there have been so many other friends that she has made, people she has become very fond of, and those interactions ... the unexpected, the annoying, the scary, the tearful, the heartwarming ... all of them ... are what makes the experience.
It is kind of like playing a huge (and in many ways freer) DnD game with people from all over the world ... or writing a collaborative story. All of this ... makes this game pretty awesome for me.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Yvanna wrote:I am only a recent convert ... and lately have been very busy in RL ... so have not been around much. (Trying to get a domain up and running at the very small school my two youngest kids are at has been way too time consuming for my Illa habit ... I will be finished and back again soon)

It is kind of like playing a huge (and in many ways freer) DnD game with people from all over the world ... or writing a collaborative story. All of this ... makes this game pretty awesome for me.
Yeah. This was very similar to me actually. I became fascinated with Illarion due to exactly that, the idea of writing a collaborative story (though of course it never goes the way you choose, which can be a good and bad thing). I've always loved writing. Unfortunately Illarion was taking up too much time, particularly now I've finally stopped being an unemployed degenerate and gone to university. :P Hence why i distanced myself from the game. I guess I've moved from this collaborative work onto actual writing, and so this game has become less relevant.

Of course, i may play again sometime. There's something about Illarion which stays with you. Its interesting.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Waiting for things to get back to interesting... :P
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

The reason Illa is special, in a list.

1-The whole magical feeling of getting swept up in another world.
2-Being able to BE someone else. Im an actress, and I dont know if its like this for everybody, but for me, I can actually feel my char's emotions when im really into it. Awesome!!!
3-We always have AlexRose and Hadrian_Abela to make us laugh
4-I finally know what its like to have scales
5-Illarion is special to me because it has a certain feel that is made up of every person, npc, object, forum post, news feed, funny thing AlexRose said, all of it fits together in an enchanting puzzle that never ends and is constantly changing and growing. To me, thats just plain special.

-Sonara
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

Most games let you read lore... Illarion lets you make it.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Illarion was my first MMORPG - and i was truely addicted.
I had met awesome players, chars and some are still friends, even if I am not playing anymore since a long time.

Illarion is pretty unique in several ways, I loved the quests, the help from staff to realize my own quests -and I had my
problems with the community and the lot of flamewars :P

Sometimes I miss my Aleytys, Yridia, Ravaelo or Na-Chaya very much - means Illarion will stay forever in my heart and I send on this way
all players who still know me a thanks for all the wonderful hours of RP - and the staff for all the hard work on this game.

See ya - maybe peeps :P ( you know Nitrams quote - so never say never )
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I miss my Aleytys, Yridia, Ravaelo or Na-Chaya very much
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

What makes Illarion "special" is the yellow school bus, much less long than most school buses, that it's participants come in on and the helmets that they wear, but more than anything it's their low standardized test scores.

But seriously, nearly everything you can get from Illarion you can get elsewhere, but there must be something different at Illarion that makes me keep one eye on it, even if I don't play anymore.

One would be that I believe in what the core personalities, the folks who really make changes at Illarion and do so in a big way, have as their vision of Illarion, and even though I think at this point in my life it's still not a product that I'll play, it's something I want to see happen. And when/if/however that happens I will give a silent nod and go about my way with my chest puffed out proudly knowing that I played a unique but very small part in Illarion's growth or at the very least I banned some jerks that the good folks who play her don't have to deal with anymore. =)

And while somewhere else someone whined about how you're all immature, persona-players who aren't up to the niveau of players of yesteryear (ancient names you *never ever* see today like, oh, Salathe, Athian, Djironymma, Fooser, Cromwell aka Caranthir etcetera...) I've taken off the nostalgia glasses to realize that we weren't more mature then; rather, we were just younger and more stupid, that goes doubly for the old staff who used to run things as though they were wild west rangers on peyote trips.

Really, you're all bright, well-behaved young men and women, much smarter than we ever were, and it's been a pleasant experience knowing you. =)
Damien

Post by Damien »

I think it's the community, and the fact that most people around have a somewhat common base that makes it easy to undestand each other. Of course, certain languague barriers cause conflicts - but call an arse who nails you down on things based on that.
Concerning the old staff : I do think that the "old" staff was not "on peyote", but much more "experimental". There were no RP rules and likewise in the old staff, so kinda everything was allowed. But illa attracted roleplayers - perhaps mainly because it's first most active core developer was one, and because it were roleplayers who liked the game even though it could not technically compete with many other games back then, so in the long run, people who liked roleplaying decided to put more focus on that than the average mmorpg does.

As a result, we have a community that we like. And even if some n00bs are inside said community who tend to badtalk or provoke you whenever they can or who write angry "why did you asshole ban me" PMs or MSN/ICQ messages at you - hey, they will also grow up one day, and may become quite nice people. I've seen that happen with possibly about twenty or thirty players (and most of them indeed started very young).

I think that illarion is a very human community. And that's a big part of what attracts us.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

When I first played Illarion...I'll admit that I hated it.
I'm comparitively young...17, and I'm hearing people from the early jurassic period playing D&D (just kidding guys!), and so I was used to my Playstation 2, Guild Wars, WoW and even Runescape.
To be honest, my first thoughts were "Hey, why are the graphics so weird?" and "Oh god, it takes a second to wait for each step!" or even "Why am I wearing orange!?"
Being the noob I was, I created a mage first time round named Arvem Blackstone. Having finished the tutorial, I found myself in what I'll guess now is the library...but my memory recalls it as appearing next to Sylvester. After engaging in a rather dull conversation with him and finding noone else to talk to, I set off east into the forest. Needless to say, wolves chased me down and I died.
The next night, I swore I'd give it one more chance. I created my next character...named Krazen Brukk, the orc. I wondered around Troll's Bane, and I spotted someone near a patch of herbs. Thinking it was just another npc like the ones I had spotted before, I went and stood in front of him, right in the herb patch. The guy looked up and asked me to move. I was thrilled! I had so much fun that night, just trying to explain why I had stomped on his herbs. I played again...and again...and again! I loved the game so much, I met lots of people, and made quite a few friends. I invited my friend to play (you might know him as Morbius) and we play nearly every night.

Now that I've gone so dreadfully off-topic, I'd better say what I mean. I love the role-play in Illarion! It gives a chance to explore different personalities and choices, and it fosters creativity and acting, two things I love very much. I hope I can one day be a part of these quests that people speak of, and enjoy it even more!
Timothius

Post by Timothius »

...dass ich mich nach 2 Jahren Abstinenz mal wieder einlogge und immernoch ein paar Namen kenne und die den Gesichtern von den ersten fünf RL-Treffen (bzw. dem Südstaaten-Bodensee) zuordnen kann.

...that you can still find "the good old Nicknames" when logging in the first time after about two years. Names that can be related to faces from the RL-Meetings in Bamberg or at the Bodensee.

Viele Grüße, vor allem an Alatar und Damien :D

aragonius
Timothius
aka Ruben