Simplify the emotes.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Rye

Simplify the emotes.

Post by Rye »

There were numerous times during the first few waves of the recent attack that the entire field was covered in emotes. I don't mean the idiots playing lutes or the people "Waving a huge sword over their heads". That's to be expected. I mean the mages. Can't the mage spell casting emote be simplified? For example wouldnt it be more expedient if the emote just said"ooga boogazam ba lam bam" or whatever the actual spell is? Instead of "Someone:
takes out a hankie and waves his hands while wiping a bit of snot from his nose and speaking in some old language.(anc)........................................................................................................................................"

At the onset of the attack the Bane forces didn't really have any organization to speak of anyway. The few of us that were trying to support the heavy fighters in the front by firing arrows from behind barricades couldn't see a damn thing! I couldn't anyway. I'd try to pick a target and as soon as I found it the entire field would be covered in mage emotes again. So I'd try again. This happened over and over. There were people screaming for help and I
certainly couldn't see them.I'm sure the people trying to heal them couldn't either.

I think this would be an easy fix wouldn't it?
Perhaps a three second emote that simply says Mage name:"Name of spell"

Alric Payne
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Remove the auto-#mes of mages, yes.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I agree with this.
Dronrul
Senior NPC Scripter

Post by Dronrul »

*nods*
Athian

Post by Athian »

You could try not putting your mages in the mess with everyone else. This way you won't get emotes over your heads constantly. The clutter came from trying to defend that tiny little bottleneck at the bridge.

I disagree only on the fact that while that seems like a wonderful idea right now during this war. A month or two from now when someone gets into a fight with a mage and they die without even a single emote warning we will see a thread talking about magical emotes.

What you suggest has been done before. But player characters complained and emotes got added. Try to think in the long term rather then simply for the moment.

p.s. Archers on the TB side=useless
Archer on Salk side= :twisted:
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

@Athian

I hate the mages auto-messages since they are IG. They are just... bleh!
Athian

Post by Athian »

@ Jupiter

I don't recall asking what you hated. I'm not sure why you directed your comment at me. I didn't say i liked them i said they are there for a reason

Simple fact is next time someone dies after a few spells blasts they'll e in the forums bitching about how its bad RP that the mage didn't wait to type in an emote before attacking or defending themselves.

This topic has been had before and we got emotes because of that reason. people wanted warning for spells and just the spell wasn't enough for them. Mages don't want to be accused of bad rp every time they use their magic because they didn't feel like typing some elaborate piece of nonsense while some guy with a sword tries to chop them in two.

bringing a proposal just because of this event should be a suggestion in the PM box of a GM. Otherwise it just seems like it's being asked for convenience sake and not for any long term benefit
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

How about temporarily disabling the emotes during the war?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Athian wrote:Simple fact is next time someone dies after a few spells blasts they'll e in the forums bitching about how its bad RP that the mage didn't wait to type in an emote before attacking or defending themselves.
Now that's incredibly stupid.

Firstly, the gap between the auto-emote and the actual spell is very low. By the time you read the auto-emote, you're already getting killed.

Secondly, there are animations you know. Why not put #me slashes auto-emotes for fighters too? That way incase we have our sound off and we're not looking at the animations - we'll notice!
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Yeah well there's the underlying thing.

Fighters can ctrl click, type #me slashes and run forward and begin to kill.

Mages have to type #me [something which is expected to be some great thing about what type of spell he does], ctrl click, cast the runes and wait for them to cast.

So people always complained at mages for not emoting their attacks (even if the fighters attacked first) and in fact during the Caelum vs TB war the mages were told if they didn't emote they'd have their runes disabled.

So they added the auto emotes so warriors who are too stupid to see when a mage is casting can see they're casting.

'Cause let's be fair. Fighters who WANT to kill someone generally don't give them time to emote, and the whole "#me slashes" thing was just the bare minimum "I said #me slashes; therefore I can't get banned for not emoting".

If the attitude's changed and it's become more lax and tolerant then you can remove the auto emotes. If not I suggest they're only disabled for the war.
Athian

Post by Athian »

No it's not that stupid. In fact there is an entire thread about mage magic issues in the annual of this forum. Want to blame someone. Blame players like Julius Rothman and Samantha Merylades for constantly stirring up trouble between eachother.

I didn't put the emotes in, I do however understand why they are there.

temporarily will work so long as no one abuses it. We don't know the length this war will be and what little conflicts might arise in it. despite the 'stupidity' of it its better no one have an excuse to cry foul
Rye

Post by Rye »

You don't get any warning when some arse draws a sword and attacks you do you? Other than looking to see if they are holding the weapon already? Why should you get a warning when a mage attacks?
Athian

Post by Athian »

Rye wrote:You don't get any warning when some arse draws a sword and attacks you do you? Other than looking to see if they are holding the weapon already? Why should you get a warning when a mage attacks?
Because once long ago. some players complained (*cough* Julius Rothman& company) about mages who would attack without any warning (*cough*Samantha Merylades). The rest of the magic users didn't want to be bothered by this little personal struggle and be forced to type in emotes while this group of pk happy PGers would rush in and hack them to bits before they could do even finish said emotes.

Thus a middle ground was found.

There is an entire 80 page flame battle in the general forum somewhere over this issue. It may be stupid as Hadrian says but it was stupid enough to get a lot of attention
Last edited by Athian on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Trudat.
Llama

Post by Llama »

*sigh*

#me is casting a hostile spell
#me is casting a healing spell
#me is casting a summoning spell

How about that alternative? Nice and simple, no spam.

Lets face is, the 'urgent' cases are the damage spells, paralyse or wind ones.

The 'nice to know' are if the person is healing, or he's summoning something.

You can remove the emotes from the rest, since they're not urgent.

And keeping it short and simple?

or even #me is casting a spell

Much cleaner than

#me starts with a mystical formula and in his hands some small flames appear.
or
#me starts with a mystical formula and from his hands some small green leaves start falling down, but they disappear before they reach the ground.

Seriously, the last one is just overkill
Llama

Post by Llama »

Or here, even better proposal.

First spell gives a hostile message.

Then for 5 minutes the rest of the spells don't.

Everyone's happy
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Yeah, so you heal a guy who does not know ancient and he wonders why he is dead afterwards, cause the other 4 minutes you casted poisonspells?

But in this way i agree:
The SAME spell should be announced once.

Example, we have spell A, B and C

Mage: A A A C A B

first A is emoted.
second and third A are not announced, cause the same spell was casted before
C, A, B are announced, cause they are different from the provious ones.

Agreeable?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

He said HOSTILE spells. And what retard doesn't realise that when a scream happens and a puff of green appears on you and it says YOU HAVE BEEN POISONED that you've been poisoned? The emote thing was that they didn't expect someone to attack them in the first place. Adrian's idea would only be triggered if you do an attack spell. Clearly once someone's blasted you with something it's pretty obvious he's attacking you without it needing to tell you again for the next 5 minutes.
Athian

Post by Athian »

one problem, Example:

I use and offense spell. Kill one unsuspecting bugger in 15 second flat. now i have 4 minutes and 45 seconds of silent casting on that offensive spell

I shoot a pig...once then I walk to a town for a silent killing spree. perhaps from a spot where my character isn't easily seen by others

see where I'm going with this??
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Put an display auto emote option in the game settings if possible, that would solve it you would think.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Athian wrote:I shoot a pig...once then I walk to a town for a silent killing spree. perhaps from a spot where my character isn't easily seen by others
. . .

You still shout it out in ancient...

And come on Athian, are we talking about mages or about random Pkers?

You then call a GM for that! Sheesh
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Yeah noone's gonna go offscreen and fire a kel ra so they can pk someone without them realising.
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

Simplify the emotes.

Anything is better then what it is now. :D Healing and "good" spells can be emoted by the player or in a "war" situation it will be obvious to the warrior they were healed. Only attack spells need the auto emote. Perhaps keep the first then subsequent ones "casts" or something simple? Also can it be made "lighter" color and not such a "loud" yellow? Not exactly a whisper but possibly more transparent?
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

I understand the emote... I just don't like the fairness aspect. You can see someone pulling out a sword just as easily as someone conjuring a ball of fire... Why are mages stuck with the emotes, and not the fighters aswell? And yes... mages do have to speak ancient, which is seen just as easily as an auto-emote.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The emotes of mages will be removed at the next update of the server and the client.

Nitram
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

*Gives Nitram a cookie*