Staff, please..

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Mr. Cromwell

Staff, please..

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

...A two week ban on anyone who spams with instruments during such mass events. Please.

It's confusing enough already without acts of random assholery.
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

Concurrence.

It causes people to freeze, die, and crash the server... and trashes the RP 100 percent...
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

On another note. I couldn't move. Attack. Nothing! As far as I am concerned I wasn't even there!

the army attacked even when the archduke wasn't there. It started at the wrong time.. List goes on.

I hate to sound like a bitch, but this was absolutely DUMB! Oh yeah, and for some strange reason as soon as the battle started I got loads of pop-ups on my PC, what is going on here?!
Last edited by Kugar on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Yeah, the event wasnt as much fun as it was supposed to be.

WAY to much people.
People who just killed mummies days ago.

The dieing was not the problem, but the dieing cause i could not see a thing cause mages/musicians emote spamming
and then the path was blocked by one who runs into a couple of mages, alone...yeah.

I thought it would be a good side on side fighting, and no come and die, then crash the server.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I agree with Cromwell.

I wasn't even there to fight, I just went to peek at the gate and BAM. Superspam!
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

Yeah.. blocking the way with loads of mages killing him? That would be MY char because I couldn't move

You want an IG fight, then my char will gladly fight a fair fight. But unless I can redeem myself I'm not getting involved in this... Peh, what a military leader eh? :roll:
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

I'm cool with dieing.

Twice.

But why the hell does it keep crashing?

I was very much looking forward to this... but perhaps omsething needs to be done to stabilize it?
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Yeah, too bad Taliss was not there. But wouldnt have changed it. One more player, more lag, more server crash.
I got a rollback and will keep it that my char was wounded and then did not fought again.
I do not want to fight when it crashes all minute, i dont see a thing cause of emotespam ect ect.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

You are able to defend Troll's Bane for multiple days even. We tested a new way of pitting NPCs, in this case, in regiments. This allows us to summon an entire regiment at once. The way your defences are build up, all focused on one point, causes all the mages to focus on one point instead of spreading out. They are actually easier to battle on the open field.

For the further stages of the siege we will try to balance it out more, with more individual warriors.

Thanks for the feedback Salathe, a different tone might be nice next time though. :wink:
Athian

Post by Athian »

Generally your Mage NPC's were designed with being completely overpowering in mind.

the ability to use RA KEL DUN QWAN? Seriously? Basically the moment the NPC of that sort is created the battlements you gave TB became nothing but a death trap for players.

Yes Salkamar has a powerful army, but i think that what your currently showing is a bit unrealistic, and a bit undermining to the players...

Tone it down a bit next time. Yes we're all impressed by the Salk NPC's, but this battle should be for the players enjoyment not just the staff.

a.k.a commmme on :wink:
Taiah

Post by Taiah »

To step back due to severe injury, have no where to move and an NPC steps up to finish you off is not fun either. :(. Agreeing with Athian, yes very overpowering.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Lol they sent NPCs that cast KEL RA DUN QWAN?

What happened to "neutral characters won't get hurt"?
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

AlexRose wrote: What happened to "neutral characters won't get hurt"?
Indeed...
Dronrul
Senior NPC Scripter

Post by Dronrul »

Just don't stay at the battleground, then you won't get hurt
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

And how did they get giant catapults built or transported without them being seen by ANYONE?

I thought this was going to be fun... :/
Damien

Post by Damien »

Overpowered ? Of course it's overpowered.
In fact, it's the only possible solution to use an overpowering army for an event where Troll's Bane's leadership has managed to put the town at war with the by far biggest empire on the continent, which at the same time is kinda Gobiath's closest neighbour.
To better imagine the size difference : Imagine a small 3rd-century-town at the border of the roman empire challenging rome for a war. You'll totally agree that the small town will be totally overpowered by the roman forces sent there - and exactly that's what happened to Trolll's Bane.
And the staff said it before as well.

So don't complain if your char was silly enough to be talked into defending just cause troll's bane's nobles choosed to fight a from the very beginning on as senseless declared fight. It's just what happens every day to people in all the world as well.

So, illa is quite a good real life simulation, eh ? ;)
Last edited by Damien on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I see how it is. We kill like 10 waves of them so you spawn them right next to us so much that the server crashes. I didn't realise Salkamaerian warriors appeared out of thin air in squadrons conveniently next to the mages.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Damien wrote:Overpowered ? Of course it's overpowered.
In fact, it's the only possible solution to use an overpowering army for an event where Troll's Bane's leadership has managed to put the town at war with the by far biggest empire on the continent, which at the same time is kinda Gobiath's closest neighbour.
To better imagine the size difference : Imagine a small 3rd-century-town at the border of the roman empire challenging rome for a war. You'll totally agree that the small town will be totally overpowered by the roman forces sent there - and exactly that's what happened to Trolll's Bane.
And the staff said it before as well.

So don't complain if your char was silly enough to be talked into defending just cause troll's bane's nobles choosed to fight a from the very beginning on as senseless declared fight. It's just what happens every day to people in all the world as well.

So, illa is quite a good real life simulation, eh ? ;)
Damien we all understand your very proud of the two demonsional Illarion lore you've created over the years. Congratulations, J.K Rowlings has an award for you somewhere under the piles of crap she's managed to market. :wink:

The players understand that they aren't going to win this war(i think^^), but there were other ways to go about it other then waves and waves of NPC's. Yes every Salkamarian solider is a super warrior to the likes of which this isle can never hope to match, you've said that (IG to me, what a load of nonsense btw)we get it. But does this entire event have to revolve around showing the domination of a massive super power flexing its muscle?

During the lich wars i remember the stakes were about the same. But unlike now there was moderation in the staff, there were skirmishes breaking out all over weeks, people were in hiding and despairing or thinking of ways to fight back. a.k.a there was some solid RP out of it.
This current attack for some reason just feels really forced. its fun for the first little while then quickly dissatisfying..hell the leader of Trollsbane isn't even here to surrender...where the goal of this going today aside from player PK? i'm sorry but i'm not seeing it.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

They'll probably just take over at 3 in the morning now, when nobody is online.

It was good to see the town the prince WANTS TO CONTROL being blown to bits with catapults as well. By the way, where did the catapults even come from? They just magically appeared like the soldiers :/
Alsaya

Post by Alsaya »

nmaguire wrote:They'll probably just take over at 3 in the morning now, when nobody is online.
Yeah because WE never sleep, eat, drink or do whatever could prove that we're actually human. :wink:
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

We can't really move that amounts of NPCs in a ordered way. And the way you "prepared" Troll's Bane for the defence is like "hey kill us plz".

The mages were able to cast a good amount of spells. But none of the spells was even close to anything as powerfull as the stuff the players show out. But focusing the battle to a few tiles, makes all distance fighters (mages and archers) concentrating the fire on one spot. And if say 10 monsters attack one character at the same time this one falls within a second. Then they move to the next. That was your preparation and not the monsters.

Sure this new monsters can do a lot of stuff. But if you prepare to fight a few common bandits, its sure you get pwned like hell.

Nitram
Llama

Post by Llama »

Alsaya wrote:
nmaguire wrote:They'll probably just take over at 3 in the morning now, when nobody is online.
Yeah because WE never sleep, eat, drink or do whatever could prove that we're actually human. :wink:
Gms being human? Absurd!
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

i did expect to be clouded, but the server relog was lightly annoying, next time mages at the back with mass healing, up front mages made it impossible for me to even see my char when the battle first began>,< and nooo i wasnt expecting a victory for trollsbane..trolls bane will fall because this is something the staff has set their mind to. we should just accept it and RP and "fight" in game as well as we can. and yeah the salkamarians soldiers have been depicted as crazy skilled with swords and such. i will say that my character was there for the fight, even if the reloads messed it up:P
Karfang

Post by Karfang »

Ditto
Damien

Post by Damien »

Its very simple logic. There's nothing bout superheroes. Just compare these two :

Self-trained hero / bandit / mercenary person with own equipment grown up in a very remote area

V.S.

professionally trained, heavily armed veteran/elite soldier with elitary equipment (royalty regiment)

Ladies and gentlemen,
Who do you think will win ?

Difference between here and lich wars :

Lich wars = fun event meant to be won by the players
This event = Worst case outcome after an epic diplomacy fail by the town's leadership. Meant to be lost by the players because the town leaders blew their chance of making a profit and "joining the light side".

The GMs will take over the town no matter what anyway, that was stated before. If you want to rebel against that or think that it´s unfair please keep in mind :

1. Troll's Bane has free ressources /tools /etc. It had those from the start. Some chars (like mine) have built buildings in Troll's Bane (or they bought them), but the workshop, all tools, are not bought by players - they are thought to be useable by everyone, especially newbies.

2. TB is the center of all action in this game, mostly, this town creates the highest town profit from the huge amount of trader NPCs, whoever runs it, massively influences the whole game atmosphere, to the positive or to the negative. And : IT IS WHAT EVERY NEWBIE SEES FIRST, after the newbie island.

3. Elections for a player leadership in Troll's Bane were originally created for the purpose to give the players some action, and a goal, and to give EVERY PLAYER the chance to compete for that, to make politics, become something. Lately, a group of players abused that possibility and declared themselves nobles and "grabbed" the whole "sponsored" town for themselves - so the whole thing turned into an unfair ingame advantage for one group of players (who even wanted to have the workshop locked and accessable only by citizens) - so much for a newbie town with start ressources for everyone and an ongoing fun fight/election stuff for leadership. Plan ruined.

So much for that. Staff decisions are staff decisions, and even massive protest won't stop something that will be a benefit for the community and especially new players (and might keep them here instead of scaring them off). And believe me, new players will log off and never log in again if they have a profession but no tools available, and if they are regularily robbed by orcs who are patrolling the area just outside the town walls with the order to only not-harm registered town citizens. You simply can't do that to a newbie town.

If you consider all the above reasons, i think it's pretty easy to understand the staff and why that decision was finally made.
Last edited by Damien on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

That's an enormous load of rubbish even coming from you, which is quite spectacular because you tend to be quite consistent in your nonsense-spouting, really.

I have to admit that I was surprised, negatively.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Damien wrote:Its very simple logic. There's nothing bout superheroes. Just compare these two :

Self-trained hero

V.S.

professionally trained, heavily armed veteran/elite soldier with elitary equipment (royalty regiment)
you're the one with flawed logic, the hero always wins, or he wouldn't be the hero.
Taiah

Post by Taiah »

@Damien, your result is acknowledged even though the reasoning is flawed. Anyone that wanted to and in game some could become a noble. Never mind, Cromwell said it all.

Nitram, with so many mage monsters in the new system, I am hoping fighters can now be allowed to develop some magic resistance?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Do the Salkamaerians get their armour from Cherga's minions and train every day against dragons, golems and liches?

Organised training and smithed equipment is for wimps.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Just read up the forums, seek a bit for the first election. There you have it.

Of course you won't find the staff board stuff about it, but ask any staff member who was active at that time and they'll most likely tell you exactly that.

Some of us players are just pissed because the staff took that possibility from them. That is understandeable. But it is no reason to become insultive.
;o)

Anyway, don't blame me for it, i'm not even in the staff anymore since ages, i wasn't even involved for the slightest bit. :wink:
And please, if you get angry about something, don't let it out on the forums.
Last edited by Damien on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.