Racial perks

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

AdamsJr

Racial perks

Post by AdamsJr »

I don't know if this is feesible or not or even if Implimented i haven't seen evidence to the contrary, but how about some unique racial characterisitc according to race and their territorial aspects. For example Elves according to the lore inhabit the forests. Maybe they can have better movement when concerning the forested regions. dwarves whom primarily occupy underground areas can move around better on rocky rough terrain, and maybe better eyesight within the dark regions. Humans who claim to be plains folk have more adept abilities when comes to the druidic magics, halflings better adept at the craftings etc.. Just a thought don't know as I stated whether or nto such a thing could or should be implemented, but just a suggestion anyway.
Llama

Post by Llama »

The limitations on whatever attributes one may choose for their character attempts to emulate racial characteristics. However I fully support this suggestion - provided that the bonuses are not lopsided in such a manner that the only possible [crafter] has to be of race [race].

Moreover, lizardfolk already have the advantage of being able to eat fish raw and obtain them without a rod - if say, dwarves obtained the ability to see better within their dark tunnels - or otherwise, it would be a fairly balanced system which would not incline towards unfair advantages for certain races.

On an unrelated note - speaking in such complex English is liable to make the german-speaking community have trouble interpreting what exactly you mean, so if would suggest one tones it down a tad.
pharse

Post by pharse »

some racial specific features are already implemented.

But if you have other good ideas, why not.

Unfortunately I can't see any elaborated ideas in your post. Perhaps you should read and stick to the points mentioned by Estralis:
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... 764#589764
AdamsJr

Post by AdamsJr »

I thought the Ideas of Dwarves seeing better in dark, Elves having better agilities on forested lands, and halfling having better crafting abilities was pretty specific. And no I realize giving extrodinary attributes to any one race would be tipping the balance of the "power" to that race, but that is not what I am trying to say Just simple small traits that I feel concidering the racial qualities of the characters would compliment the characters.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

if you want to see better in the caves just increase the brightness settings on your computer. thats how i got past the "spending hundreds of coins on torches" part. and then just adjust the brightness down when its day or you leave the cave :)
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Umm.. isn't it elves who typically have darkvision?
Aust

Post by Aust »

AlexRose wrote:Umm.. isn't it elves who typically have darkvision?
Yeah, elves have low light, dwarves have dark vision, acording to tradition :P

I like the idea, but coming up with a good advantage for humans might prove hard. Perhaps everyone can give it some thought, then try to flesh out a nifty suggestion? I'm sure everyone agrees that more distinct racial differences are of the good, if we can just balance the system providing it?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Why do humans need to have a perk?

Or you could put maluses on the other races too so playing a human just means you neither have bonuses nor maluses.
Athian

Post by Athian »

AlexRose wrote:Why do humans need to have a perk?

Or you could put maluses on the other races too so playing a human just means you neither have bonuses nor maluses.
I would think humans would have a perk in such a case. Because we are all 'human' irl we consider ourselves to standard, with no perks what so ever. But in fantasy worlds humans aren't always the 'standard' race that all other races are simply modified forms of.
Aust

Post by Aust »

Athian wrote:
AlexRose wrote:Why do humans need to have a perk?

I would think humans would have a perk in such a case. Because we are all 'human' irl we consider ourselves to standard, with no perks what so ever. But in fantasy worlds humans aren't always the 'standard' race that all other races are simply modified forms of.
Skill is relative. An elf is only good at handstands if you compare him to a dwarf. As soon as you bring Matt into the picture.. not so much.

Point is, its logical to have some base creature. Elves are good at walking through woods (compared to humans). I like Alex suggestion, which is based on DnD. Coming up with disadvantages for all the races, as well as advantages.. Err. Hope there are some creative people around here.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Elves' weapons spontaneously turn into flowers due to mystical Elven magic.
Aust

Post by Aust »

AlexRose wrote:Elves weapons spontaneously turn into flowers due to mystical Elven magic.
Cool, I hope its a +4 Alexrose.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

Aust wrote:
AlexRose wrote:Elves weapons spontaneously turn into flowers due to mystical Elven magic.
Cool, I hope its a +4 Alexrose.
oh god...
Llama

Post by Llama »

Allright let me think

Human: None/ None
Elves: Bonus through walking in forests / Bit less HP than usual (due to being fragile)
Halflings: Bonus to cooking and farming / Get hungry faster than other races (so they can eat a lot and become tubby)
Dwarves: Bonus through walking in rock tiles / Less Agility than usual (short and fat =/= good dodger)
Orcs: Bonus to seeing in the dark / Learn non-combat skills slower (due to being as thick as a short plank)
Lizards: Can eat raw fish, Can fish using claws / Large Penalty at fighting in deserts
Gnomes: Bonus to spotting quality of items / Penalty to effectivness of priest magic upon them
Fairies: No penalty if moving over rough areas / Very low HP
Goblins: Can eat raw stuff and usually inedible food / (No idea about this one)

There, off the top of my head at 1:30 in the morning.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning behind the penalty you attributed to gnomes?
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

It's a shame, half of those bonuses and penalties are technically impossible as of today.
Aust

Post by Aust »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Allright let me think

Human: None/ None
Elves: Bonus through walking in forests / Bit less HP than usual (due to being fragile)
Halflings: Bonus to cooking and farming / Get hungry faster than other races (so they can eat a lot and become tubby)
Dwarves: Bonus through walking in rock tiles / Less Agility than usual (short and fat =/= good dodger)
Orcs: Bonus to seeing in the dark / Learn non-combat skills slower (due to being as thick as a short plank)
Lizards: Can eat raw fish, Can fish using claws / Large Penalty at fighting in deserts
Gnomes: Bonus to spotting quality of items / Penalty to effectivness of priest magic upon them
Fairies: No penalty if moving over rough areas / Very low HP
Goblins: Can eat raw stuff and usually inedible food / (No idea about this one)

There, off the top of my head at 1:30 in the morning.
Elf and Dwarf disadvantages seem way too harsh. I dont think bonuses or disdvantages should affect the fighting system at all.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Don't we already have attribute related stuff already?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Azuros wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning behind the penalty you attributed to gnomes?
"Most gnomes are convinced that everything can be done without the help of mythical creatures and by the use of the own intelligence"

Bit of a stretch.

And matt, I'm pretty sure you can implement most of those with minor changes to the code.
Aust

Post by Aust »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Azuros wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning behind the penalty you attributed to gnomes?
"Most gnomes are convinced that everything can be done without the help of mythical creatures and by the use of the own intelligence"

Bit of a stretch.

And matt, I'm pretty sure you can implement most of those with minor changes to the code.
Id still be really pissed if my warrior suddenly lost health.. Come up with something else:P
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Orcs can't learn combat skills so fast because they are dumb? They are the combat masters by nature, and nature beats intelligence.

Go teach a lion to read, it'll still learn to kill in it's first day of life.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

smile.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Learn non-combat skills slower
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Well done sherlock.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I used my detective cape.
Aust

Post by Aust »

Retlak wrote:smile.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Retlak wrote:Well done sherlock.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

ummm... hadrian. have you ever played a fairy?
constitution is 1-8 = low hp
strength is 1-4
minimum agility is 10-28 - fast movement. you have over 20 agility and it don't matter what ground your on (trust me, with one of my fairies who had 27 agil i could run nearly double the speed wolf could on forest tiles, it wasn't even close contest)
dex is 5-24

the other ats are more resonable (normal)
i say why not just make other races current attributes min/max more along the lines of the faiy (though i believe gnome is already this way)

so just take attributes that are high and make the max 1 higher, take the ones that are low 1 lower. or something like that. *light bulb goes off above head* I have an idea.

*throws pokeball* Go LAMAMAN, get those NUMBERS! (yes i am simply to lazy to right now...)
Llama

Post by Llama »

I only respond to llama-signals projected in the air.

Oh yeah, I forgot fairies suck totally already :P Guess they don't need racial perks.
maryday

me also want such a nifty projector...*sighs*

Post by maryday »

nothing directly skill related , i think because this would make the best possible char layout for certain chores forced fixedly.
((attribs already in a working way predetermined)) Though Tanisitans`s proposal on increasing the maximum span ((basic racial min/max. on stats)) might be worth a thought;

maybe something about objects?
determining their quality better, depending on race?

or we already have that on talents, eh!?

if only we had someone to create race dependant item-graphics.... :wink:

c`mon give us that elvish firefly lantern...((honey rechargeable lantern))
those orcish bonecarving tools...((carryable alternative for -anvil- creating basic weaponry like simple spears or knives))
this yummy goblin meat skewer...((carryable alternative to smoking oven))
and finally those meat dishes in shape of fruits...
and vegetable dishes in shape of animals also!!1!

Hm. Leave the additional halfling reciepes away, by now.

-lizardmen could be able to manufacture simple bone spears for fishing ((increased chance on fish, lower on objects))
-gnomes might get a gem-drill ((increase on gem cutting quality and smithing jewelery on higher skills));
-dark elves a trephine or wound treatment tools ((maybe later interesting for medico/druid/alchemist also));
-fairies....?

((All items mentioned, implemented as racial-specific produceable hand- or belt-carried, skill modifiers, so they could also be sold/traded to any member of any race;
Giving every race widely differing special perks might cost a bit of rebalancing time for dev section, which might go to waste,
as a true novelty might also be achieved with this idea.))

Maybe a set of five to seven different perks ((3 of them special craftable items)) for every race which only get unlocked after certain time or overall experience?

*Shrugs his shoulders.*