Racial perks

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Aust

Post by Aust »

Changing the atrib ranges will not bring racial diversity. No-one really RPs their atributes, so it would just be the sum of the atribs we notice, manifested in how well we do in fights.

If you want to give the races more character, give them some special abilities.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

Aust wrote:Changing the atrib ranges will not bring racial diversity. No-one really RPs their atributes, so it would just be the sum of the atribs we notice, manifested in how well we do in fights.
that's difference in how well one fights is called diversity. also it would affect every aspect of the game including crafts ext.

For elves, yes i know the are supposed to be demi god in MOST source material however I would like to point out two things.

1. Just because it is in MOST does NOT mean ALL of them. I have found older material where elves are not uber races. and the best example of uber elves can be found in the book eragon.

2. NO race in ILLARION, available to players will, ever be uber race as described. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Because Humans are boring, elves need strengths and WEAKNESSES, in order to make them diferent. if you do not like the proposed weaknesses and strengths PROPOSE NEW ONES. not just saying you want elves to be freakin uber.

As for any previously made characters these new stats will only affect MIN/MAX characters. Which (i would like to point out) is a giant freakin taboo. Any characters that are not min/max will remain relatively unaffected and humans (who make up HALF the character population) will see the least amount of change. Thank you.

Edit: Also. If you DON'T role play your attributes you need some SERIOUS role play lessons. and anyone who doesn't is in the same boat. (and don't come on here saying that you do, and that you where only saying people don't because I really don't care)
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Edit: Also. If you DON'T role play your attributes you need some SERIOUS role play lessons. and anyone who doesn't is in the same boat. (and don't come on here saying that you do, and that you where only saying people don't because I really don't care)
I realize people should RP on the whole the skills they have i.e. fighting etc. but a lot "read" yet have very little library skill due to the mechanics of the game and no advantage. I doubt most fighters RP they have absolutely no essence, nor wisdom or as little as possible, though that is what the attributes of most seem to be set for. I also doubt most mages RP they can barely hold their own weight as far as strength and are basically as blind as a bat as far as preception, yet a lot set very low attributes. IMO what you RP for your char should be individual, related to the background as long as it follows the rules of the game which doesn't mention you have to follow attributes.
Tanistian_Kanea

You should set your Attributes to fit your character, not because you want an uber fighter. I think it is rather bad form when people don't do this (though i realise people do). regardless this is a topic that no longer relates to this thread an in my opinion seems rather pointless because i doupt anyone is going to change how they role play. however if you wish to continue this then be my guest to start a new thread somewhere else.
Aust

Post by Aust »

Tanistian, you need to stop responding to posts you do not understand.
Tanistian_Kanea

Aust wrote:Tanistian, you need to stop responding to posts you do not understand.
couple things.
first. what posts do i "not understand". and if i really do not understand then on who's end was the mistake made? the explaining (you) or the interpretation (mine)

second. how is that in anyway helpfull. the most recent arguements this proposal is that it will not do anything positive because players do not role play. both of which are starting to anoy me.
Tanistian_Kanea

appeares it has reached that point. appart from a couple people not thinking this will do anything (because of PO roleplaying. most seem to think it's a good idea. I have proposed concrete balanced numbers noone has yet to object to (new set). can we get some GM nah or ya (which would simply mean it's added to the list) the other page has my numbers. or even if it still needs some work idk...just give me some feedback.
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

Might I point out something? You ask for the changes to be made, especially to the stats, but you give no clear roleplaying advantage to it except "people should follow their stats, so let's change their stats to make them change and fit the steriotype". That just doesn't work, all it will do is lead to even more min/maxing. Look at the elves, for instance. With the proposed changes a mage with maxed mental stats would have something like 4 points to use elsewhere, that's just asking for abuse. Too great a difference makes certain races the only "good choice" to do something, since much more than a one point difference in a relavant stat and the differences add up quickly.

Many people want more things to differentiate the races, but narrowing the stat ranges only narrows the role-playing opportunities and forces players to be "typical" members of their race. When you are dealing with adventurers or noted figures or anybody "interesting" than you are dealing with very specifically non-typical examples of the race. This doesn't mean that they completely loose their heritage (that would be bad roleplaying) but it does mean that players need to have the latitude to be different even to the extremes. There is a reason why this game uses a classless system, it is because creativity is stifled when diversity is controlled.

You also need to remember that the "typical" descriptions that you give for the races are as true to form as a "typical" description of humans would be, and sometimes the expectations on this board can be just plain wrong. Look at the lizardfolk, for instance. They may have much on the description of their hunters, but other places (such as the religion book) describes them as having members which are extremely patient and (in the race book) describe them as being the second race to learn to use writing. Neither of these follows the "big, dumb, smarter than orcs but can't be too smart" steriotype. Or the religion book also talks about a certain group of orcs that has devoted itself to greater perfection and has even avoided mixing with the other races (other than elves) because they generally see this as a reduction of their strive toward perfection (which includes interests in art, poetry, magic and other similar pursuits). While many orcs may be stupid, that doesn't mean that they all are.

Most of the things that keep members of a race tending toward a certain type can be easily done without messing with the characters themselves. Give them special bonuses within their racial towns or better prices when dealing with certain goods that the typical character of that type would be interested in. Certain special abilities (as long as they aren't so overpowering that they make other racial choices pale in comparison, which would probably require them to be only useful at lower levels) add to the character and direct the character without forcing them in a direction. A good example would be the lizardfolk's ability to fish without a pole and eat raw fish, this is useful at lower levels and encourages the player to explore (which generally pushes them toward the direction of a fighter type) but at higher levels of play where you want cooked food for the health bonuses being able to find raw fish is nothing you care about anymore (and the diatary restriction can be a big drawback). If you can find more things like this that are only strongly beneficial at early parts of the game and do not restrict the gameplay options than I would be happy to support your suggestion, but I say a big NO for the idea as it is.