The Question of Troll's Bane

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Mesha

Post by Mesha »

The thing with constructive criticism is that it has to be constructive Olive. Now, I already mentioned the option of relocating. It is something we are calculating in. As I said, you can even ask me to build a temporal hideout for rebels, as long as you give me some materials. Goodbye argument I guess. Oh! And I'll be cheaper than the regular builder, since it is a temporary hideout.
Olive

Post by Olive »

It wasn't criticism, it was a comment about what happened last time. there is a difference.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Personally, As a citizen of Trollsbane, I think Trollsbane should be run by GM's.

It is the central city, it's always a place new players end up, and it has the most materials, NPC's and supplies. It really is the capital of Gobaith, and shouldn't be left in the hands of players. The government there has always been unstable and very frustrating for those of us interested in politics of Gobaith. As soon as a stable government comes in, suddenly there a rebellion or revolution...come on....it gets old. Personally, I'm tired of power-hungry egomaniacs trying to run things in a city that is so central to the game.

Let the GM's try to run it.

Let's get some stability in Trollsbane again.

no doubt, there'll be rebels or some rebel force, there always is......but, I thought the Grey Rose Castle was the refuge for Trollsbaners? Anyways, there's plenty of player-run towns that work out just fine, which would be happy to accept more PO's into their towns.

I say let the GM's take over Trollsbane, and keep players in charge of Guilds and the other towns. That would be the best balance I think.
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

What i don't understand is why some players don't accept GM decisions. Noone would have complained if Trollsbane where under GM government from the beginning. Many RPG have such GM ruled towns.Do you think it would be better to let some nonpersonal NPC rule the town? The GM's want to give the players some story...some grant Plot to play with.
The first try was to let the players play this plot by themselfs. But have they played it? Where are the conflicts? where are the large plots like the "Darlok" story some years ago? Now the GM's take action and bring back some storyline to the game. Accept it and have fun.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Cassandra Fjurin wrote:What i don't understand is why some players don't accept GM decisions. Noone would have complained if Trollsbane where under GM government from the beginning. Many RPG have such GM ruled towns.Do you think it would be better to let some nonpersonal NPC rule the town? The GM's want to give the players some story...some grant Plot to play with.
The first try was to let the players play this plot by themselfs. But have they played it? Where are the conflicts? where are the large plots like the "Darlok" story some years ago? Now the GM's take action and bring back some storyline to the game. Accept it and have fun.
There is plenty of storyline and conflict. The world doesn't have to be ending, there doesn't have to be a grand ruler or a demon takeover for that.

The roleplay is much more about how characters relate to each other than to how they fit into some master plot. May I remind you that there indeed has been conflict before with the various leadership disputes in Trollsbane's past? In fact, this is partially what the GMs wanted to put a stop to by leading the town. They wanted to instill artificial stability to the town's leadership.

I don't think the game needs a grand storyline for everyone. I much prefer quests that bring out individual storylines of those involved.
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

Cassandra Fjurin wrote: Where are the conflicts? where are the large plots like the "Darlok" story some years ago?.
There is a plot. It's just a bit subtler than many may think a plot would be. *cough cough wink wink* Some conflict (beyond petty squabble) is/was bound to happen.
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

Cant this just be sorted out IN GAME?
I hate it when ooc influence crawls it's way into IG matters. Everybody knows this is a gm plot, therefore every character ig will suddenly bow to this Prince and run in fear. Ridiculous actually. I think the gm's could have handled this better, everytime I read this thread the story changes "Its not up to the players.." "It is...", "oh wait, sorry... No it isnt actually".

I implore all players to act as their character would when logging on.

@Mesha: I'de start building that freedom fighter refugee camp ;)
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Kugar wrote:Cant this just be sorted out IN GAME?
I hate it when ooc influence crawls it's way into IG matters. Everybody knows this is a gm plot, therefore every character ig will suddenly bow to this Prince and run in fear. Ridiculous actually. I think the gm's could have handled this better, everytime I read this thread the story changes "Its not up to the players.." "It is...", "oh wait, sorry... No it isnt actually".

//Signed
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

Olaf Tingvatn wrote:
Kugar wrote:Cant this just be sorted out IN GAME?

//Signed
/signed

let me add. discussing IG matters OOC should be punishable. Enough said. this thread is junk. lock it already.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

@Mesha: I'd start building that freedom fighter refugee camp
You haven't even banded together yet!

Also, I find that a lot of you people are rather pessimistic about your fellow RPers. Do you really think everyone just bows before the Prince and goes yay? So far, as I have seen in this thread and in my PM inbox, there are two camps. One is willing to help the Prince for a price, and one is just going to resist the prince's arrival. Doesn't sound very bow-ish to me.
I think the gm's could have handled this better
As I said, this is two parts. Yes, it is a quest, but it is also a quest that has not been done in Illa before. We never had GM-ruled towns before, and now we have plans to do so. There is bound to be some miscommunication between the staff and the players. I apologise for that, but we are not professional community managers or something. We are tired at times, we do this on our free evenings, and yes, we make mistakes.

If you have perty suggestions on how to handle it better, be my guest and PM me. :)

I do not believe there is anything more to comment on. I have said what needs to be said, and more discussion will not suit the situation.