Map of finding

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Rye

Map of finding

Post by Rye »

I would like to see a means of locating people on Gobaith. Something that would not involve going ooc on the web or sending a dove(which I find fails more often than not).
My idea would be a magical map which would give the position of a character in the same way a treasure map works. By giving a compass direction. One would Examine the map and would be given a prompt to input the character name. The map would work only to the extent of the holders perception. A high perception will give accurate reading and a low perception will give nothing.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Pretty bad if one char tries to hide.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

how about make a compass, that when used makes it "yours" then when anyone else examines this item it points to you instead of north. give this to people you know/trust. but can only be obtained from that character. however the downside to this is then you would have about a million compases.

another idea is that we put a right click option "give map" or something much more magical and creative then that, that will allow that character to find you on there map. however you can only find people who allow you to find them.

Point is that you would need some way to give permission to someone to be able to find you, anyone else would be unable to do so, and this makes me think of the mauroders map from harry potter (i may have spelt it wrong). this is an interesting idea that for item that could be made using knowledge from library research.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Would be cool if the bad guys forced a compass off someone and the owner's life was in danger not being able to run or hide.

-Matt
Rye

Post by Rye »

And what is so bad about being found? Is anyone really invisible? If you are good at hiding then fine. If someone wants to find you bad enough they will find you.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

I would like the compass thingy. Would make fleeing more intresting.

Right now, you just head to another town and nobody knows you.
Or you stick around right to a guard and nothing happens.

But that "i know where you are criminal b****rd" would make things way more intresting. Also good RP if you find the one hiding.
(Sir Prize: Surprise, i have found you! Criminal: Oh no, what a Sir Prize!)

Im somehow for it, even if the concept will have to change a little, the beginning is cool
Tanistian_Kanea

You could have one comapss, then when you hold in your hand say "Show me %charname" This would show you the characters direction but only if they have previously stated you are allowed. some sort of list like the name one will have to be stored or something similar. this is a techncal problem i know not how to solve but it seems like an otherwise simple idea to implement. Good for rp.

Edit: i would like to add that the list should be linked to the compass as this would offer the option for them to be stolen or for people to collect multiple ones from diferent sources. you should have on upon creation but replacements should be dificult to come by.
Last edited by Tanistian_Kanea on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pharse

Post by pharse »

I could imagine something like that as a mighty prayer for the priest system, so the priest can "find" the target for a limited amount of time. (Elara's watching you).

But I'm not that in favour for something like such an easy accessible, static compass.

"Show me %charname"
Problem: Not everybody wants to reveal the real name (which is in the db)
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I think it would be a good idea for those chars showing on the online list. If they are showing I am assuming they are alright to be "found". If not showing on the list, they would also not be shown on the map...this would be a compromise to those NOT wanting to be found. As far as a name, when set up the PO can possibly have a choice what "name" will be shown?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Another problem is when the Z coordinate changes the X,Y coordinates might not be where you expect.
Tanistian_Kanea

i like the idea that priest would be able to find anyone with a prayer. however i think a compass, still should be available. as for some people not wanting to give there real name, i would say that the magic working on the compass requires you to know someone's full, true name. thus they could keep it a secret and make it even more dificult for someone to find that person.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:i like the idea that priest would be able to find anyone with a prayer.
What? That makes like no sense :P
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

HE CLEARLY PRAYS TO GOD AND THEN HAS THE POWER TO FIND ALL THE OTHER MISGUIDED IDIOTS IN THE WORLD!
Llama

Post by Llama »

Sounds like too much power to me.

A 'here, you can find me personally' is a good idea in my opinion, but a way of finding where everyone is... bit too much.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Therefore it is a mighty prayer and it can be used only upon one target and it is limited in time. A curse which will cause the reprobate to be stuck at 2000HP is also quite nasty, but something like that will be implemented aswell :)
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Finding out a char's real name IMO is not good for RP no matter what magic/prayer. The ability to find a char ig would be nice ONLY if he/she is listed on the online list or perhaps can be set up with permission only?

This ability "prayer" however may be nicer for Bard magic...using music to "find" things... just a thought.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

1.) Rings. Two rings can be enchanted in a way that they act as "maps" for eachother, if the persons carry the rings on their belt/ring spots. If they do not, the rings are quiet.

2.) Mages can create scrolls of Finding. These require you to know the true name of the person (and if there's suspicion: You need to prove that your char, and not you, knows the name) which means that those using false identities IG (coupled with the appropriate protections) will not be searched. Furthermore, the scrolls only give a general area where the person is at, with the measuring points being in the most important settlements (Varshikar, TB, SB, Vanima, Briar, Nordmark).

So when you use the scroll and say "Edward Cromwell" you'll get a "Edward Cromwell is somewhere around Varshikar", with the approximate location being announced by the nearest measuring point to the char.

These scrolls cost 5-10s to create + materials (gems, pells.. blabla) so they're not really everyday stuff.

Furthermore, I'd be willing to consider a purchaseable amulet which protects against such scrying attempts, either by giving blank response or by misleading.
Tanistian_Kanea

Mr. Cromwell wrote:1.) Rings. Two rings can be enchanted in a way that they act as "maps" for eachother, if the persons carry the rings with eachother.
2.) Mages can create scrolls of Finding. These require you to know the true name of the person (and if there's suspicion: You need to prove that your char, and not you, knows the name) which means that those using false identities IG (coupled with the appropriate protections) will not be searched. Furthermore, the scrolls only give a general area where the person is at, with the measuring points being in the most important settlements (Varshikar, TB, SB, Vanima, Briar, Nordmark).

So when you use the scroll and say "Edward Cromwell" you'll get a "Edward Cromwell is somewhere around Varshikar", with the approximate location being announced by the nearest measuring point to the char.

These scrolls cost 5-10s to create + materials (gems, pells.. blabla) so they're not really everyday stuff.

Furthermore, I'd be willing to consider a purchaseable amulet which protects against such scrying attempts, either by giving blank response or by misleading.
amulets are a good idea. the rings are also an idea.
Rye

Post by Rye »

Finally someone sees the sense of it. Thank you Mr.Cromwell. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just avoid the taxman buy making sure he didn't know our name? Or all the bill collectors for that matter? This business of being able to hide totally is just not right. On an island this small? If you are determined to play by yourself then just say so. Perhaps the devs can make another little island for each person who wishes to be all alone.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

hellbriar is a nice place to be all alone..well just avoid the temple people, and the three sisters islands is allso where beeing all alone is good...AND tol Vanima to. hardly anny elves there nowadays it seems.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Rye wrote:Finally someone sees the sense of it. Thank you Mr.Cromwell. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just avoid the taxman buy making sure he didn't know our name? Or all the bill collectors for that matter? This business of being able to hide totally is just not right. On an island this small? If you are determined to play by yourself then just say so. Perhaps the devs can make another little island for each person who wishes to be all alone.
Well, it would still be possible to hide from such searching-attempts (which 'should not' be something you do all the time anyway, more like a special situation when you 'really' need to find someone).

It would just require:
- Consistent RP where you actually hide your identity from people, thus making it impossible to scry for you (People like Starling)
- Extra effort and preparation IG (amulet of cloaking or whatever). Would actually be quite funny if the amulet on you would have a 50% chance of losing a level of durability per each time someone attempts to scry for you and the attempt is blocked.

I mean, there are situations when you simply don't want to be found at all. Furthermore, there maybe should be a chance for the person to feel that someone is actually scrying for them ("you have get a strange feeling as if someone would be watching you") dependent on essence or whatever.
Joxini Baenra

Post by Joxini Baenra »

Retlak wrote:Would be cool if the bad guys forced a compass off someone and the owner's life was in danger not being able to run or hide.

-Matt
Im not trying to shoot down what you're saying but it is my opinion that it comes to loyalty at that point, or even mere chance. The only time youd be carrying that compass is if your looking for that person specifically.

~Joxini the Elf~