Unique items/monsters

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

nmaguire

Unique items/monsters

Post by nmaguire »

Anyone who has played Diablo will know these concepts, and here they are in a nutshell:

1) Unique and rare items:
Sometimes weapons/items are found (or crafted) with special attributes. Rare items like this have a random set of extra attributes eg: "You find Strong serinjah sword" - this serinjah has a small damage boost. Or "Light serinjah sword of durability" -can last longer before breaking, and can be swung a little faster. These drops wouldn't be so hard to find, maybe with even the lowest monsters dropping some sort of rare weapons, but with quite weak effects. Stronger monsters could drop better weapons with more effects.
Unique items are the same, but they already have pre-determined attributes and (not required, but its nice) a special name, eg. "The Disemboweller" - A very strong dagger with increased chance of critical hits" etc. Again, everything could drop these unique weapons, but obviously weaker monsters drop weaker uniques, and the very strong uniques are saved for very strong monsters, or treasure maps.
Also, crafters (when they have high enough crafting levels) could predetermine what stats an item has by using extra items in the crafting process - for example including merinium in a sword to make it a strong sword, or whatever. This could also work for armours, and clothes.
This wouldn't require any new graphics.

2) Unique monsters:
I don't know how easy this would be to script, but the idea is that every so often instead of a normal monster spawning, a unique one appears in its place, eg. instead of a normal mummy spawning again after it has been killed, "Stronger mummy" or something appears instead, and it hits faster/can cast/is immune to magic/puncture/regenerates health very fast etc. This would simply make the game a little more interesting, finding these types of monsters wandering around. They could perhaps have a higher chance of dropping rare/unique items as well. There could also be set unique boss monsters in dungeons, also with added effects.
Lord Arcia

Post by Lord Arcia »

While I don't particularly like the idea of unique items...I love the idea of unique monsters.

Training is lame once you get to a certain point. It's pretty much the same thing. If you train on it, more than likely there is no effort whatsoever in defeating it. Having something pop up like a mummy that's super hardcore would be frightening. And a unique dragon? Holy crap! Nobody wants to fight haephestus!

Would be awesome if these unique monsters would only attack you if you got so close...You know...They don't go out looking for a fight, but if one comes to them, they are more than ready to throw down. (This mostly so noobies and such don't get owned by the randomly spawning ones. Or maybe you have to walk up to it and challenge it, like a quest type thing? I don't know, but it seems like a good idea?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Well, I kinda like the unique weapon idea quite a lot. The 'adding merenium makes it stronger', is going to be implemented in a slightly different way in the new fighting system. It won't make it stornger, but it'll be quite interesting, you'll see.

As for unique 'boss' monsters, as far as I know they're goign to be in as well, though I don't think the 'monster that is more powerful is randomly spawned' is a good idea. You go fighting mummies for the first time and you get smashed by a mummy lord.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

I didn't mean everything unique would be mega strong. The weaker stuff could just be challenges for n00bs, whereas the stronger unique stuff (demon skeletons and the like) would be a challenge for higher level fighters. It wouldn't be very nice for a n00b to suddenly get 1 hit by a mummy in the crypt. If it was the second floor of the graveyard, then super hardcore mummies would be more reasonable.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I like the unique monsters, however I wonder if instead of unique monster drops, crafters could occasionally have a bit of "genius" blessed by the gods and make a unique weapon/armor....or possibly both just different items i.e. crafters would make something a monster couldn't drop.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

By the way, some bonuses the weapons/items could have:

+skills (any skill)
+attributes (any attributes)
increased critical hit chance
random spell (most offensive spells could be included)
increased defense against a style of weapon or magic (or even just type of magic - ice, fire, lightning)
increased weapon speed
decreased chance of being struck by criticals
increased durability
higher weapon damage
summoning creature upon strike
blinding hit (lowers weapon accuracy)
health drain (on target)
freezes target
ignore head/chest/hand/leg/foot armour

All of these could work for unique monsters as well, except durability. Increased skills could help for crafters, and could be built into anything (Clothes, jewelry, tools) so everyone can benefit from unique items, not just fighters.
Juliana D'cheyne

nmaguire wrote:By the way, some bonuses the weapons/items could have:

+skills (any skill)
+attributes (any attributes)
increased critical hit chance
random spell (most offensive spells could be included)
increased defense against a style of weapon or magic (or even just type of magic - ice, fire, lightning)
increased weapon speed
decreased chance of being struck by criticals
increased durability
higher weapon damage
summoning creature upon strike
blinding hit (lowers weapon accuracy)
health drain (on target)
freezes target
ignore head/chest/hand/leg/foot armour

All of these could work for unique monsters as well, except durability. Increased skills could help for crafters, and could be built into anything (Clothes, jewelry, tools) so everyone can benefit from unique items, not just fighters.
This sounds like a good idea, and can really help the new players particularly new crafters be a little more patient with the "slow" learning during the crafting. Unique drops in monsters can also help keep older players interested... waiting to get one of a kind drops.

Other ideas if can be done script and graphic wise:

fire arrows all of a sudden show when attempting to make a regular arrow
a "one of a kind" rainbow glass when attempting to make a bottle
All of a sudden a tailor makes a floppy hat that give some attributes of a helmet rather then the usual floppy hat.

Just some ideas thrown out.
Aust

Post by Aust »

I like both ideas, but I am pretty sure that within a year or so, everyone will know which of the unique weapons is best. Then everyone will start looking for one, and eventually they will find it. At this point everyone will use the weapon, and it might as well have been a normal serinjah sword.

I still like the idea though, as long as the magical items arent that much more powerful than the standrard versions. Perhaps the items could just be enchanted with level 1, magical gems.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

...Then you may as well just go and find a magic gem. The reason I suggested different bonuses is to make it a little more interesting. And you could have several unique weapons all as good as each other with different stats. Plus, you might even find a randomised rare weapon that does a better job...
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

If it gets that way, then the stats could simply be changed, couldn't it?
Joxini Baenra

Defidently

Post by Joxini Baenra »

I absolutely love this idea. Couple things... If this was RL then you wouldnt find the SAME monster dropping the SAME weapon. Youd be luckey to find 2 "Unique" weapons that are Exactly the same. I think it would be very nice if there could only be 1 "Unique" weapon with the same stats so it would actually be "Unique" and not just another one of those weapons. Thus if someone gets it who doesnt need it the price goes up considerably and the weapon could even become a legend of lore, If it actually gets lost because someone died its lost forever and people can only tell stories..

Also another attribute (Not sure if its already invented)
Being able to steal life or
Paralyze so the person cant dodge parry or attack for 2 seconds or so
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Umm.. sometimes it's valid to compare ig to rl.. but when it's whether the same type of MONSTER would appear and what it would drop on the floor when you kill it, there's no real room for comparison because you can't relate that sufficiently to any rl situation. I agree with the idea but in fairness I have to say I don't agree with that argument for it >_> .
Joxini Baenra

Post by Joxini Baenra »

I have a good imagination >.<
Alexander Knight

Re: Unique items/monsters

Post by Alexander Knight »

nmaguire wrote:Anyone who has played Diablo will know these concepts, and here they are in a nutshell:

Sometimes weapons/items are found (or crafted) with special attributes. Rare items like this have a random set of extra attributes eg: "You find Strong serinjah sword" - this serinjah has a small damage boost. Or "Light serinjah sword of durability" -can last longer before breaking, and can be swung a little faster. These drops wouldn't be so hard to find, maybe with even the lowest monsters dropping some sort of rare weapons, but with quite weak effects. Stronger monsters could drop better weapons with more effects.
Unique items are the same, but they already have pre-determined attributes and (not required, but its nice) a special name, eg. "The Disemboweller" - A very strong dagger with increased chance of critical hits" etc. Again, everything could drop these unique weapons, but obviously weaker monsters drop weaker uniques, and the very strong uniques are saved for very strong monsters, or treasure maps.
Also, crafters (when they have high enough crafting levels) could predetermine what stats an item has by using extra items in the crafting process - for example including merinium in a sword to make it a strong sword, or whatever. This could also work for armours, and clothes.

2) Unique monsters:
I don't know how easy this would be to script, but the idea is that every so often instead of a normal monster spawning, a unique one appears in its place, eg. instead of a normal mummy spawning again after it has been killed, "Stronger mummy" or something appears instead, and it hits faster/can cast/is immune to magic/puncture/regenerates health very fast etc. This would simply make the game a little more interesting, finding these types of monsters wandering around. They could perhaps have a higher chance of dropping rare/unique items as well. There could also be set unique boss monsters in dungeons, also with added effects.
So basically the whole Diablo System?
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Alexander Knight wrote:
nmaguire wrote:Anyone who has played Diablo will know these concepts, and here they are in a nutshell:

2) Unique monsters:
So basically the whole Diablo System?
Yeah, reminded me of Diablo too.
Actually, diablo is kewl :D
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

nmaguire wrote:Anyone who has played Diablo will know these concepts, and here they are in a nutshell
Alexander Knight wrote:So basically the whole Diablo System?
Yes, as I have already said.
Christopher..Rigden

Post by Christopher..Rigden »

Scoundrel!!
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Bless you.
Alexander Knight

Sorry i dont sit there and read all the posts :) i have more important things to do
Alexander Knight

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaay I just realised its the first line on the first post......My bad peoples :) Love you all
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

Curiosity demands I ask the question: what would rainbow glass bottles do?
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

Thrym wrote:Curiosity demands I ask the question: what would rainbow glass bottles do?
The would look pretty?
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

This is the first idea I have seen since coming back to this community that is worth anything. While I have nothing to contribute to it, I would love to see this get implemented. Perhaps it would give me a reason to play a craftsman when I get back ingame, instead of just some peasant or what-have-you.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Alexander Knight wrote:Sorry i dont sit there and read all the posts :) i have more important things to do
Then don't post trying to ridicule people and make yourself look like the douchebag.
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

I like the idea of "unique" monsters. Not only for "strong" skeletons. It will increase our monsters rate on the world. Currently we can have the same monsters with different stats and skills. But they cant be distinguished optically, so you wont know if a "strong" skeleton stands in front of you. And I don't want newbies killed by string monster wich should be weak.

Maybe we implement such a think in the future. But this is not a small update.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Cassandra Fjurin wrote:But they cant be distinguished optically, so you wont know if a "strong" skeleton stands in front of you.
Last time I played the monsters displayed thier "name", something like Pig or Skeleton.
I'm pretty sure even the newbie-est Newbie will take caution if a mummy named "Bortak the Still-Living" is standing infront of him, instead of "Mummy" or "Zombie".
On top of that, add an item to the inventory of the monster that is a source for red colored light and you even have classical evil aura.

Even the whole spawning thing doesn't need to be over the top.
Upon spawning a monster from the templates in the database, there is a ever so small chance that his attributes are multiplied by x4 (or whatever you find suitable) and the name of the monster getting swapped for a random pick from two lists (name & suffix).

Loot tables will need to be set up depending on what kind of special monster this was, eg. special skeleton loot tables, special golem loot table, etc.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Can't they be made bigger too like with the characters?
Juliana D'cheyne

Last time I played the monsters displayed thier "name", something like Pig or Skeleton.
So, do all the monsters actually have a name except for all my chars? I thought it was a bug some monsters don't display names anymore.

Graphically, if they can't be made larger etc. possibly a different color?
Possibly rarely a crafter making some item with these increased attributes attached that can be sold/auctioned (if can be scripted).
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

The problem isn't a name. Currently we have a race like skeleton, gnoll etc. We can set up spawns where we can add something like: Spawn a gnoll with the following stats/skills...
But its only a gnoll. If you look at it it will only be a gnoll if it has strength 4 or strength 200.
You cant see the difference between the two gnolls. There are some "dirty" workarounds that solve this, like keikan mentioned.
Currently on the realserver, we can't have unique items. The only difference between the items is the id and the quality. Currently we can't reuse the same itemgraphic for different items. We have only 32 bit for coding "unique" data in one item. (The Treasure maps work with this for example) but with 32 bit its hard to create real unique items. But this problem will be solved soon. We are testing a system where each item can have up to 255 different values for storing unique data. So we can have "named items items", "a letter System IG", "different stats on weapons". But this are only the basics. Someone has to use this tools to create this systems. So i have to state it again. We are lacking on good scripters ;)

@Keikan: the quote was wrong so you maybe have overred my comment.
Last edited by Cassandra Fjurin on Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Did you just brushed the discussion of special/unique monster aside with arguments about items?
Or is there a connection I fail to realize?

Edit:
Ah yes, now I see.
Last edited by Keikan Hiru on Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.