Nature Magic/Druid Magic

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Thrym

Nature Magic/Druid Magic

Post by Thrym »

When I think of Druids, potions aren't the only thing that come to mind. In fact, they're not the first things to come to mind. Normally I think of communion with nature, mysterious chants and rituals, passing on legends and knowledge orally (if you consider real historic druids), and occasionally human sacrifice (if you pay attention to the Romans, but we all like the pretty parts of druids).

So what is this proposal about? To put it simply, extra druidry. It would seem that with the close connection druids have to nature, they would be able to manipulate it in various ways (but NOT unnatural ones like mages). The old legend of St. Patrick says that when he came to preach at such-and-such a place (I forget where), the local druids were able to raise a mist or heavy fog to try and make him get lost. Other legends speak of them doing things as great as summoning lightning (but this proposal does not suggest that should be implemented).

I, of course, have not gotten to the top of the druidry chain, but it seems that all of their so-called "magic" is limited to making potions, which are simply bought by others and not really required or used by the druids themselves, or examining things (alchemical things to tell its properties, and people to diagnose a couple illnesses or see if they are other druids). These are both really great things, and I really enjoy playing my alchemist character as it is, but druids also are greatly attuned to nature itself, so would it be acceptable for them to be able to use that attunement for, say, defensive purposes? Druids are obviously passive people, so I'm not talking about summoning creatures, elements, or anything to do damage, but things such as in the St Patrick story. If someone is hunting you, a passive druid, why not raise a fog to limit his view? Perhaps some sort of nature spirits could help you out in minor ways (think of Ariel from Shakespeare's "The Tempest", but nerfed)?

If anyone could expand on exactly how this system might work, that would be great. My only thought was that since druids don't use essence, their defensive magic would be in the form of short chants or ritualistic activities, and so would be limited in how much can be done in a given space of time (like only one mist-raising every 15-25 real minutes -- you can't do nature rituals constantly). For "failed casts", perhaps a lack of attunement would cause nature to respond sluggishly or not at all. Perhaps rangers could also share in a little bit of this?

Does this seem like a good idea? Could this idea be used as a stepping stone to a better idea?
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Making potions is alchemy, Druidism.
But Druids are often also alchemist, but they are more.

In other words: I do agree with you.

But...
Priest magic, bard magic, reworking og mage magic...

A long list before something else will be done *sighs*
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Yes!!11!oneone!!!!1eleven!

Just like in this one book I read where a boy learns how to control mist/fog to conceal his village from a viking attack, and later learning how to sort of make wisps of fire appear from his hands (Though dunno about that one to implement, :P)

I'm all in for this, just as long as they make potions makable again.. Or obtainable, not just antidotes and such.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

just as long as they make potions makable again.. Or obtainable, not just antidotes and such.
?
You can make potions.
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

wolfsword wrote:Yes!!11!oneone!!!!1eleven!

Just like in this one book I read where a boy learns how to control mist/fog to conceal his village from a viking attack, and later learning how to sort of make wisps of fire appear from his hands (Though dunno about that one to implement, :P)
That was a good book...

Either way, I'm all for this idea, being a druid could be soooo much more fun :D
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Aldan Vian wrote:
wolfsword wrote:Yes!!11!oneone!!!!1eleven!

That was a good book...

Either way, I'm all for this idea, being a druid could be soooo much more fun :D
Yep. Forgot the name of it though, and I've really wanted to re-read it again :(

And to Jupitor: O_o Must be doing something wrong, then, and wherever I go on wiki to find out how to make potions/etc, says they are not IG at the moment.. Whatevs though, I'll hopefully find a druid to mentor me eventually, IG :P
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

I'm glad this is so well recieved. :)

It is kinda sad that this would be implemented so far ahead, but that's the way it works. I just wanted to see if this could be potentially added to the list.

As for making potions, my alchemist can make potions. ^_^ It is sort of a rare thing, though, so you may not hear about it openly. Also, some characters don't want their abilities thoroughly known to some other people, so they keep it rather secret.

But yes... it sounds simple to give druids a rune "ritual" that would just summon a bit of fog, but I read one of the GMs saying "Even simple, easy things need someone to do them", so it's just a matter of getting the manpower/time to tackle it all. This makes me want to pursue scripting/coding/etc. alot more, just so I can see this happen sooner. ^_^

EDIT: I never put this in the proposal, but my original idea even included "corrupt" druid types (possibly NPC baddies) that could summon pestilence among other things.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Waaiiit just one coal mining moment, you want to give the druids EVEN more powers, are you quiete frankly crazy?
The druids are allready a pretty strong "class" I mean you can change people in not only other races, make attribut potions, healing and poisonpotions but also change people into monsters, while carring their characteristic of the specifi monster, sorry but druids was always and should always be limited, of course on a technical side, on making potions, a ritual or other sorts of things might be possible but just giving out a "fog" rune is stupid, a normal magical ritual needs time and not just "bam instant fog".

So unless you want to make a hour ritual every time you need a fog, you should forget the whole thing. However it woukld be nice if an bard would actually be able to call on these things rather than a druid.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Pellandria wrote:Waaiiit just one coal mining moment, you want to give the druids EVEN more powers, are you quiete frankly crazy?
The druids are allready a pretty strong "class" I mean you can change people in not only other races, make attribut potions, healing and poisonpotions but also change people into monsters, while carring their characteristic of the specifi monster, sorry but druids was always and should always be limited, of course on a technical side, on making potions, a ritual or other sorts of things might be possible but just giving out a "fog" rune is stupid, a normal magical ritual needs time and not just "bam instant fog".

So unless you want to make a hour ritual every time you need a fog, you should forget the whole thing. However it woukld be nice if an bard would actually be able to call on these things rather than a druid.
Agreed completely.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

@Pellandria

First of all, druids have no power currently. There is an alchemy system. Period.
A druid is not a person who throws random herbs together, that's an alchemist. A druid is more. Period.
Currently a druid is in first line still a only rp-char. Alchemy is secondary to a druid.
I will not discuss about this kind of view because many druids player who played druids before the system think the same way.

And...
but also change people into monsters, while carring their characteristic of the specifi monster
Wrong wrong.
Just your look does change. To change you attributes you need other potions.
Also no discussion, 'cause a dev said so.
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

Pellandria wrote: ...but just giving out a "fog" rune is stupid, a normal magical ritual needs time and not just "bam instant fog".
Noted. And please don't be hostile (not that you're trying to be hostile), as I'm not the most knowledgeable person about all this. I simply threw it out there with the question "Would this be acceptable? If not, could it be modified to be acceptable?"
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Jupiter wrote: Wrong wrong.
Just your look does change. To change you attributes you need other potions.
Characteristics have nothing to do with the attributes.
maryday

Post by maryday »

@Pellandria; Sounds like a halfhearted try of reverted psychology, to me, what you wrote;:twisted:

druidism and shamanism relate to each other.

druidism focuses on the possibilities and mechanisms of the material sphere.
shamanism focuses on the interaction between different spheres.

creating fog by manipulating or mingling material elements is different then
summoning fog by help of spiritual entities or structures.

a druid would be able to create fog.
a shaman would conjur it.

in the end its up to each player (as we lack a shaman class until now),
how far the druid is attached to the*sighs*
...underlying crosslinks.
Sounds like a proposal related to a priest system.
@Thrym; I hope this serves your main idea well. (Any ideas on evolving a karma system?
Or a..ermm..matching..thingie...*nods the thought on, to someone else.*)
Athian

Post by Athian »

@Jupiter
Incorrect. Through a bit of playing around we've found that certain forms affect your attributes. For example I once took a golem potion and had a huge increase in my magic resistance (much like the golem i took next to no harm many spells and even ice flames did little harm) and all but the weakests spells would fail constantly

It may not be true for all potions but at least some have or had carry over effects from the monster you were changed into.

Druids and Alchemists are the same thing but simply with different practise's. Its not even a difference in attributes like one would have between a Druid and a ranger. So what exactly would stop "alchemists" from using Druid 'spells', especially effective ones? RP wise I don't see that bringing anything to the table, everyone would just be druids, period, from the moment they started doing druid rituals ^^

Also Druidry was designed to be placed around potions and not runes and spells. Thats pretty much all there is too it. No matter what druids in other games, books, media are. these are the illarion druids. What would be nice to see is some less expensive less effective brews. The kinds druids would be able to make with the bare minimum essentials. Such as miniature and less effective versions of Gynk fire and other offensive potions. they could do minor damage (maybe 10-15% damage) and could be mixed in a bottle thrown (expelled) without using said bottle. Druids could mix these mini-potions quickly for using in the field and use the same bottles until they broke or became unusable.

Also potions that effect the area could be made in this manner. A druid or alchemist would mix this on the fly potion and use it with the ground and some sort of impassable object could appear. Much in the way mages have stone walls, these objects could be fast grow plants like hedges or trees to impede anyone chasing them. As similar to the stone walls of mages they could come in single, line and circle variety, and finish after a set amount of time.

again these would be a form of quick mix potion, following the same rules as other potions druid make except being easily created and with some of the materials reusable.

OR

we could make some potions like the beer mug so they are used in sections. A full bottle to a half to an almost empty etc. but it would be based upon the skill of the creator as o how many times the item can be used.

Just some suggestions >_>
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

@Athian: I like those ideas! Post as a new, more detailed proposal topic?
Athian

Post by Athian »

No one listens to me anyway ^^ I'm just dreaming of things that'd be nice. perhaps i'll get around to making a full proposal one of these centuries. I do understand what your getting at in your post, wanting to attach Druids more to nature, But i think people (and considering your fog rune request in it) would just be happier with being a druid if it could be more active and less well..cumbersome.

Druid: I'm going to explore today! *attaches cauldron to back and packs of dozens of herbs and various other druid crap into bag* alright, now i'm ready for anything!

-Same druid in worst case scenario-

Druid: *resurrects at Cross* well there goes my cauldron and all my Wee-err herbs...yes herbs...Guess that's what happens when i try to replenish my potions in the graveyard...I hate adventuring

---

See, cumbersome ^^
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

Lol, kinda how I feel sometimes... only I've never actually *tried* to adventure. I just know he's not fit for sh** in that area. He just experiments, and RPs some nice conversation and story.

About having potions with more AoE properties, what about combining the alchemy/rune-ish/ritual things for something that produces a fog effect? You'd have to create things beforehand, and the "ritual" would be putting it all together and doing something to it (also having a limit on how often this can be done). I only casually suggested the original rune idea because of its simplicity.

Ahhh, well. This all seems so far away, anyways.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Why not skip all that fog idea and make just a smokepotion..how does that sound.
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

Pellandria wrote:Why not skip all that fog idea and make just a smokepotion..how does that sound.
Good enough for me, I guess...
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

So the discussion abot druidic magic ends in the idea bringing a simple other potions IG.

Makes me feeling sad.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Jupiter wrote:So the discussion abot druidic magic ends in the idea bringing a simple other potions IG.

Makes me feeling sad.
Maybe your too picky...
To quote myself in case you missed it
Druidry was designed to be placed around potions and not runes and spells. Thats pretty much all there is too it. No matter what druids in other games, books, media are, these are the Illarion druids.
The idea was to make Druid magic distinctly different from runic magic concepts. So unless you can device a system that is vastly different, design new spell graphics for X amount of druid magic spells, Code it, balance it and present it to willing Dev's, maybe you should find ways to compromise. Dev's worked hard on the system for druids that's currently IG though, so i doubt any of them want to throw the idea entirely out the window.

Druids in Illarion are potion based. Its not going to change, so why not make it better? Take the effects you all love and make them potions and while we're at it lets make druids capable of adventuring like mages are and not just magical craftsmen like they are now
Dangron

Post by Dangron »

You just gotta love this... any proposal that has something to do with magic and not contributing to mages seems to be cut down in a second by theem. lol. Druids need to have more power instead of just making potions.
Dangron

Post by Dangron »

You just gotta love this... any proposal that has something to do with magic and not contributing to mages seems to be cut down in a second by them. lol. Druids need to have more power instead of just making potions.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Dangron wrote:You just gotta love this... any proposal that has something to do with magic and not contributing to mages seems to be cut down in a second by them. lol. Druids need to have more power instead of just making potions.
Apparently you didn't read any of my proposals. If you had you'd see that's exactly what i was talking about...*fail stamp* Try reading up to my posts, or just reading anything I've written. i was specifically talking about ways to make druids more mobile and able to adventure and fight back against enemies, WITHOUT needing to make massive system changes. I believe every post i placed had the easily discernible meaning.

But instead of just trolling maybe you have some idea's you can add to your post slanders??
Dangron

Post by Dangron »

Athian wrote:
Dangron wrote:You just gotta love this... any proposal that has something to do with magic and not contributing to mages seems to be cut down in a second by them. lol. Druids need to have more power instead of just making potions.
Apparently you didn't read any of my proposals. If you had you'd see that's exactly what i was talking about...*fail stamp* Try reading up to my posts, or just reading anything I've written. i was specifically talking about ways to make druids more mobile and able to adventure and fight back against enemies, WITHOUT needing to make massive system changes. I believe every post i placed had the easily discernible meaning.

But instead of just trolling maybe you have some idea's you can add to your post slanders??
First of all, this wasn't directed to you so drop the attitude, and I read your posts entirely.

Druids are connected with the nature, animals, yet a pack of wolves comes and rips them apart. That needs to be fixed somehow. The druid magic should be based on rituals using certain herbs along with the potion system. Then it would be balanced and good.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Well as one of the people who uses the magic system. I believe the comment of mages tearing things down because it doesn't benefit them is quite a direct comment. Besides you deserve it for your "open mouth insert foot" approach regardless at whom it's directed

Because someone is connected to nature doesn't mean they would be immune to a hungry wolf trying to eat them. A hungry wolf will eat whatever it can get ahold of, that's pretty much nature at it's purest. A good Druid wouldn't blame the wolf for its actions to sustain itself and wold probably know method which make it the least likely that wolves might eat them. These same methods the common man doesn't know might appear like some secret lore, but it would be our druids experience due to all his time spent in the wilds gaining knowledge of it's fauna

on the technical sense, you really haven't provided a single proposal. All you've said is "Druids are blah blah, this should be fixed". Sadly hostile NPC's will attack any player character, this is no different then the mages summoned creature attacking him or her. This has nothng to really do with a mage system rather the NPC's vs PC's. It's likely possible but requires alot of work that hasn't been worth it since mage summons, and likely isn't seen as worth it now.

By my understanding you want Druids to have an exlcusive potion system + an exclusive Ritual/herb system. sounds bit unfair to me, not only would Druids craft exlcusive items and benefit from all there effects they would have spells to boot.

Too much? (X)
Then it would be balanced and good
How? what in these vague idea's you've given turns it into balanced and good? I think by balanced and good you mean "Fit the classic mold" of what Druids are like in other peoples fantasy and or ancient lore. But this is it's own game it doesn't follow other peoples fantasy worlds, and it certainly isn't real life either.

Unless you explain how your err "idea's" (if you can call them that) will balance Druids out with other classes and or what "good" comes of it, then it's hard to understand what you want
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Magic is way too overpowered.

-Matt
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Dangron wrote: Druids are connected with the nature, animals, yet a pack of wolves comes and rips them apart. That needs to be fixed somehow. The druid magic should be based on rituals using certain herbs along with the potion system. Then it would be balanced and good.
Mages are connected with the forces of the world itself, where is the "explosion of all man-elven-dwarfkind " spell I'm waiting since years?
Seriously stop this "but xyz makes abc in dfg game" its boring, we got a current system that is Mages= runes, Druids= potions", if you actually want to contribute to the systems as such find a way how to include the one or the other in the current system, without overwritting an existing thing in another system.

Say an killspell would be just wrong for a druid, but we got gynk fire, got animal problems? Well just ask the Devs to create a potionl that will confuse enemys, making the AI walk around aimlessly and maybe switch between friendly and foe for a time.
Giving the druids an "actual" power AND the druid brewery, which alone is allready migthier than any mage could be, would just be overkill and make every following sstem harder to balance out.
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

Retlak wrote:Magic is way too overpowered.

-Matt
That's what I was thinking, but I'm way too much of a coward to say it. ^_^

Regardless, okay, this was apparently the wrong thing to propose. I don't really want people to get mad at each other over it, so lets just call it dead.
Dangron

Post by Dangron »

Retlak wrote:Magic is way too overpowered.

-Matt