Designate new players in game

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Juliana D'cheyne

Designate new players in game

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

In order to make sure that the majority of older chars in game know who the new players are, it would be very helpful to designate this in game not just on the online list as not showing (since some chars elect not to be shown also). Some don't look at the online list when in game in order to avoid ig and ooc, or disinterest and some can't have a browser going and play ig at the same time due to their computer. Possibly a simple (N) as a suffix for a certain amount of time?
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

sounds good
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

If someone comes to me and asks for my help, I will be glad to help him, because I was helped as well when only a newby, but that does not mean that my chars will go against their RP and be someone totally different.

OOC is OOC, RP is RP.

God.. yeah, maybe it's a good idea to mark the newbies so we know and tottaly ignore them. This way we wont get shitty bans for no reason when you do nothing more than play your char.

...and people are wondering why the good roleplayers leave the game.. :roll:

@Juliana: not ranting at you, your idea is great :)
Last edited by Grim_banned on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Val De Gausse

Post by Val De Gausse »

The corruption does not depend upon rules! Fight the real fight, not the scapegoat!
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

It's a good proposial, because we're all bricking our pants now that we know we get a 4 week ban.
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

If the (N) gets implemented, the newbies will get a hell lot of lonely time in the game because no sane player that wants to keep playing will RP with them.

(N)Bob: Greetings, Gobiath!
Bane people: Oh crap..
*streets get emptied*
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

That might happen in Bane, I for myself, would like to RP with a newb as well as with anyone else and I think most of the other players I get in touch with (mostly dwarven players) would do the same.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Same would happen in Nordmark. We often take time to speak with new players when we meet them. Including Elven Chars...and after explaining everythign to them, they'll get a kick in da butt ;)
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

To be honest Grim, I'd rather be banned for ignoring and running from a newbie char, than to be banned for not knowing they are one and attacking them.

-Matt
Llama

Post by Llama »

I suggested this once...

How about a warning when you ctrl click a newbie too ?
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

"WARNING: THIS GUY IS A NOOB, MAKE SURE TO USE EXCESSIVE FORCE"
Llama

Post by Llama »

Retlak wrote:"WARNING: THIS GUY IS A NOOB, MAKE SURE TO USE EXCESSIVE FORCE"
That's only if its one of your characters Retty ;)
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

What was wrong with the old system of just having the (N) next to the player's name on the online list?

I've never got why they decided to drop it.
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

It was because of the namehunting.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Namehunting? Elaborate please?
Triton

Post by Triton »

Just an example:

Badmosche
Llama

Post by Llama »

Because it was decided that instead of letting the players notice that CoolKnight42 was against the name rules and having him rooted out and a GM talk to him...

uh...

I have no idea what the plan was.
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

Except Badmosche played Illarion long before most of the people in this topic.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Basically:

When a newbie sees their name as marked as 'It needs to change', suggested by another player, they feel unwelcome. Upon that, they are harassed/constantly asked to change it, until basically they do it, or leave. Gm's started to feel that older players were vigilantees trying to force 'elitist' rp on new players, when they were trying to improve it. Not -all- gm's, mind you, but some. Gm's would rather you just report inappropriate newbie behavior, than try and ask for them to change yourself.

That said, I am not taking sides on this, just how it seems to me the reasoning is as of late. It is also no official proclomation, and if a gm wants to be mad at me for it.. well, sorry, but that is how it appears.
Grunlor Milroth

On the Newbie subject at Hand

Post by Grunlor Milroth »

Being a newbie I am trying my best to rp and get involved with other characters around me Heck today I went on defense of Silverbrand knowing full well I would get slaughtered , but to defend my Country and my Queen I did so. I try Rping and I know it's easily seen that I have lack of skill when it somes to some of the more in depth characters , but I am trying I feel to designate one a newbie would severely put a hinderance on the interactiveness of the new comers to the rp I have used other characters in the past and know the loneliness of being in a crowd and not being talked to. It can get very discouraging really fast. I am off my soapbox
maryday

Post by maryday »

i think no,
because
even the smallest effort on RP lets one smell newbieness a mile off.

labels affect behaviour between people.
In memory of
ytqebob
i feel yes...
Llama

Post by Llama »

Maryday, please keep off the serious boards, go play in offtopic.
maryday

Have you even noticed, i am NOT in the Top100 posting ranks?

Post by maryday »

i think no;

((EDIT; Yes))
first i wrote:designating newbies might help in some cases,
where basic use/need of tools affords profound instructions,
none the less this knowledge may also be achieved through trial and error,
or inquired by any independetly acting person.

designating newbies is going to change behaviour towards concerned persons always, as it is clearly OOC mingled IG.

AND, most of all... :twisted:

newbies have IG no attachments towards any group, so giving them a marker would attract
questionable subjects, whom are longer IG, willing to :shock: . . . succumb them to their own, noble, wellmeant, generous, helpful causes.

"So...you say...you are new to the island...hmm?...*Tickles her chin.*...My darling?"
((@Athian; Not to enforce yet to encourage? ))
Last edited by maryday on Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Marking new player IG only would be helpful to older players and staff. IF a newbie is clearly labeled then they can be treated accordingly in any situation. Sure some RP can uncover a newbie, but there will always be situations where new players cause the RP in a location to cease completely because older players must cater to the newbie.
I believe this is NOT a players job. Old or new, players are players and Staff is Staff. its the staffs job to enforce the RP environment. That older players teach new players is a kindness among fellow players, but i think its becoming too expected and less appreciated. IF specific players are needed to help newbies learn to play designate them as such by giving them the job, otherwise lets not even consider punishing a player for not recognizing and or catering to a new player. they are players too with a right to enjoy the game as much as the new player who's just logged in. newbies can cause disruptive behavior just like anyone else, we need ways to lessen that behavior rather then have it purposefully ignored.

I'm not saying give license to all players to abuse newbies. But its not fair to expect everyone to drop there character role (people log in for the specific reason of playing in their character) and expect them to become babysitters. there is a level of courtesy to be expected between players and that should be judged for each situation. If older players know that its a newer player they are dealing with without ever having to guess then it makes it even easier to distinguish bad behavior from accidental faults. There would be no excuse in such cases when punishments were dealt.
Tinya

Post by Tinya »

A simple example of the problem not knowing who the new players are:

Unknown player at the tavern: Hello, how are you?
Tinya (northern barbarian): #me backs away from the elf quickly
Unknown player: What is the matter?
Tinya: Elves are cruel, they kill without warning.
Unknown player: What! That is wrong!
Tinya: #me backs away even more staring at the pointed ears laying a hand on the hilt of her dagger.
Unknown player (finally figured out was newbie with this) #me: walks away muttering "guess I will get no friends here".

Yes, there would be some ooc mixed with ig with new players. In this instance the roleplay would have been curbed somewhat and the new player wouldn't have left being totally confused.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Sometimes its hard to see if a newbie or just a "bad" player stands in front of you, this is where I see the problem, because most people are annoyed, when there rp is interrupted. Maybe I just speak for myself here, but when I rp with someone and I dunno just want to trade char secrets, their past, some plan whatever or might it be just a normal talk and someone stumbles in with "wanna duel..wanna fight" etc. that just destroys my mood and even if you try to show him another way as react in an rp way and he just keeps on interrupting I wish he would leave me the hell alone.

Now here is the problem, we got alot of medicor "older" chars and we got newbies and todecide between the one or another is hard at times, now when I see an "older"char, or atleast older than a newbie, who jsut annoys me I tend to stop caring about the char as such, yeah I try torpwith him, but if he jsut is not up to it, its a waste of time.

Now if we got a newb on the other side one could give him more patience and care longer for him.

Another rather strange thing,I severaltimes encountered is, when a newbie meets an older player, insults the char and the char of course reacts to him, well with a delay of course and suddendly a staff member pops up, obviously having watched you the whole time, and scolds you for reacting like your char would, I mean you don't have to cloud newbs or anything, but give them a little "you can go so far till you burn your hands" is good for him, first time I logged in I was clouded 3 times by an npc..didn't stop me from playing..

So to sum it up, if we have an indication, that there is a newb standing in front of us, it might be easier to have patience with him, obviously its a double edge sword, because some newbies would simply be ignored, but I think the good outweigth the bad here.
Dangron

Post by Dangron »

I agree with this idea, and I'd gladly RP with any newbie if he/she RPs good and not using "l8er" and "u" in their sentences :roll: