Large monster reset spawn

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Juliana D'cheyne

Large monster reset spawn

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I would like opinions on this topic since twice have had to wait for either map update (and thanks for the last one btw) or server reset, or just someone to come kill the lich so can get back in game. No one got the roaming lich last time for two weeks until a map update (there are not many can kill the lich alone, and few groups going to the graveyard btw). I realize it would take some spontaniety out of the game to have them always reset, but it is also irritating to have to decide whether to get ghosted or just not play your char. Thoughts, suggestions?
PurpleMonkeys

Post by PurpleMonkeys »

I think monsters should stop following after a certain time.. Would a big troll leave his patch of the woods unprotected to chase across the island after a little halfer? I think not..
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

I agree with monkey boy. A goblin had chased one char from far north down to troll's bane, and after it killed him I had to run west into the woods to lose it (even after it had already pickpocketed me). I mean, really... would that happen?
Juliana D'cheyne

I wasn't talking of them chasing, you can usually either outrun, or hide (usually they quit hunting after a few minutes unless they see you still) ...nor talking of small monsters. I was talking specifically of large monsters i.e. the lich and being in the graveyard, not even being able to run. The lich won't leave until a server reset or map update.
PurpleMonkeys

Post by PurpleMonkeys »

Oops :?

I can't run away from creatures because of my slow internet, btw.. :cry:
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

What you do is you learn to get around obsticles IG.

ie: Walk behind the lich after it attacks you and carry on inside? NPC can only see infront of them, come on people.

-Matt
PurpleMonkeys

Post by PurpleMonkeys »

Retlak wrote: NPC can only see infront of them
Wrong.
Velask

Post by Velask »

If you go dangerous areas you run the risk of being clouded.

If you log out in dangerous areas you run the risk of being clouded.

If you can't beat the Lich then perhaps you should be more careful. Or you know, maybe roleplay a little, get a group together, and go kill it.

Dungeons are wild and dangerous places. Not staged powergaming camps. Although I don't mind people using them as such, asking to reduce the fun and variety of the game so you can powergame more easily?

You're joking right?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

PurpleMonkeys wrote:
Wrong.
He's right.

NPCS can only see see in front and parallel to them. That's why the "stick the npc against the wall" glitch works.
Hemisphere

Post by Hemisphere »

AlexRose wrote:
PurpleMonkeys wrote:
Wrong.
He's right.

NPCS can only see see in front and parallel to them. That's why the "stick the npc against the wall" glitch works.
Another victory for RP realism ;)
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

This guy's good.
Juliana D'cheyne

Although I don't mind people using them as such, asking to reduce the fun and variety of the game so you can powergame more easily?
Please read original post more clearly:
but it is also irritating to have to decide whether to get ghosted or just not play your char
It wouldn't have bothered me in the LEAST to have had a way out of the graveyard at the time, and have been able to leave, which I eventually did after the map update. That wasn't PGing, that was wanting to play my char ig and avoid the skill loss of ghosting :wink:

Realizing you can get behind something like a lich is easier said then done when you are not quite sure where it is, and there are already 3-4 mage skeletons in the area. Going to "sleep" at the pier/flies is USUALLY a fairly safe place in the graveyard and when you are tired you don't want to take the 15 minutes to walk your char out. The proposal was less however related to my char and more the concern that most seemed to avoid the area for the entire two weeks until the map update *shrugs*. If this doesn't bother anyone then I am fine the way it is.
Last edited by Juliana D'cheyne on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Don't log in the graveyard. We have portal books for a reason. If you can't afford a portal book you shouldn't be that far down the graveyard on your own.
Velask

Post by Velask »

I read your post just fine thank you.

You go to the graveyard. You take the risk.

End of argument.
Llama

Post by Llama »

AlexRose wrote:This guy's good.
Of course he is, he's british

[size=0]You alex, are the exception ;) [/size]
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I'm an anomalous result :( .
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I recall a problem with having NPCs try to go back after so far or not go past a point. Don't remember which Dev mentioned it but I think they said it wasn't easy/worth it/possible or something like that. Also, thinking back to times when monster respawns were more common ...it sucked...