New graphics - any requests?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Hemisphere

Post by Hemisphere »

Rye wrote:Perhaps it is a little nitpicky but I'd like to see a difference between fur and raw leather.They seem the same to me.
It's now on the list :D Could have it in a few colours too of course - dark brown, light brown, black, grey, etc (I'll check the existing animals fur colours)
Friedwulfa wrote:Yeah... racespecific-walls are very needed in my opinion. Start with halfling houses. That is a big Atmosphere-chance...

You would earn a big Friedwulfa-hug if you could handle this.
I need more specifics to understand what you'd be looking for exactly in halfling houses - I didn't understand what was meant by a "planting hillside".

Mr. Cromwell, as for your massive list... I'll just say I've taken note of it all, but specifically what you may find relevant for now, about on-map plants/bushes/flowers, is that I'm in the process of redoing ALL the floor tiles, and this will be bringing a lot more detail to the map!

For example there are currently 8 basic grass tiles, and the map selects them pseudo-randomly, whenever grass is used, but currently all 8 of them look pretty much the same. I'm going to be replacing them, and expanding the selection to about 20-25 tiles, each of which will have a noticable, subtle difference. There may be a small twig on one, or a daisy, or a dandelion, or a tiny mushroom, a clover, a pebble etc etc. All things that you'd expect to find occasionally in the grass. They'll be very tiny of course because for bigger things there should be an actual item you can select, but this is a quick fix that'll instantly add a lot of detai and character to the world. Of course 3/4 of the tiles will still be basically just grass, so it won't look too cluttered :)

btw can you explain exactly what you mean by an unpaved road? and "necessary smoothing"? Don't we already have something like this?

btw, about floor tiles, I'm thinking these may be of some use:

Ashayen

Post by Ashayen »

I think what Friedwulfa meant was such halfling-houses like in LODR, you know, those smials. Those look like half-round caves and the whole thing is surrounded by grass. Sorry, english is not so well this morning, luls. Look here.

Friedwulfa

Post by Friedwulfa »

I think, smials are more holed Hills, but yes.. That would be a great thing.
But i dont want to know how much Sand and clay the Buildingmaster wants for the Hills... ;)
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

:shock:

I REALLY like it!
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Christopher..Rigden wrote:Tobacco! probably just leaves and then hopefully it can be implemented with the pipe we aleady have. and Hi btw.
But if they implement tobacco - we'll lose a meme :(
"This'll probably get implemented at some point - They even gave us tobacco!"
maryday

Post by maryday »

As you mention something about redoing plants,
how about a collection of each water lilies, reed, duckweed, sibanac, and stuff?

Preferably the water lilies...
-one tile filling blossom, 4 to 6 smaller blooming arrangements, 6 to 10 floating leave decos,
and maybe about two (to-be-walkable) giant Leaves.

((At best the blossoms in soft white, and shimmering red base scheme, what should not be a problem,
after what i see from you.))

Nice to have you around, btw.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

The layout is nice, but the screenshot gave me the creeps! I sent you a PM why... So... nice... but... please... no...
Pranck

Post by Pranck »

Erinnert mich sehr stark an Hakenkreuze.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

@Pranck: Scheiße...wie krass man als Deutscher konditioniert is die Dinger sogar in Straßenpflaster zu erkennen -.-

Aber ja, des wäre leider nich machbar...eventuell wenn man 2 davon spiegelt.

English:
Maybe mirror 2 of the 4 pavements....it will result in an 8, making no more problems ;)
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Hemisphere wrote:btw, about floor tiles, I'm thinking these may be of some use:
It's like...an iron cross within a swastika.

Should be great!
maryday

Post by maryday »

[EDIT]
*Inflammable content removed by author, on own behalf*

*sighs*

I would like to see about five to seven walltiles of each ivy , grape-vine and wild roses,
in different heights and ages.
((Preferrably the grapes each harvested and bearing fruit.

If you like, you might also prepare a "engine enhancing" wall-plantable collection of grape-vines,
in four different stages of growth, especially as you mentioned you also do some basic 3D stuff.))

*giggles*
If they would have been female, i would have noticed them, i think..
Last edited by maryday on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

rakust dorenstkzul wrote:
Hemisphere wrote:btw, about floor tiles, I'm thinking these may be of some use:
It's like...an iron cross within a swastika.

Should be great!
LMFAO I didn't even notice! XD

There also appear to be two men wearing only underwear in the picture.
Lord Arcia

Post by Lord Arcia »

Look like little golems to me. :S

The clay ones from Diablo II
Hemisphere

Post by Hemisphere »

Well, there are about 10 other different ways I found for the same tiles to be arranged that look "nice", so no need to worry there :)

Personally I like the swastika as a symbol, and don't care much for any of it's more negative connotations - for me it's a symbol of the sun, and the eternal cycle of life, (as it was for the thousands of years before it was widely misused).

btw: http://www.wisegeek.com/is-it-really-il ... ermany.htm

So unless anyone is genuinely offended by a design that was actually lifted directly from photos of an ancient greek temple, and really doesn't look like at all like a swastika, (unless you're looking rather hard for one), it's not something the law would hold any issue with (which I've been told is the main concern).

Is anyone genuinely likely to get their knickers in a twist over this? I'm just interested really, what people really think about stuff like this - acknowledging that it's not actually forbidden by law in this case.
maryday

Post by maryday »

*sighs*
Buying those partially quite highly developped pre-made graphics from the proposed provider might have the side effect, commercial content finds it way into.

Am i wrong on supposing all content beeing made by players/members until now?

---

Any possibilities to find out precisely about the copyright regulations of the proposed animal collections?

If they are free to overwork unlimitidly, as soon as bought, they might be a rewarding idea.

Some of the skins are quite fine, some less.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Is anyone genuinely likely to get their knickers in a twist over this?
I would think if there was a known symbol with once negative connotations, even if that is not the entirety of that symbol and even if not illegal, it is best avoided in a game many cultures will be playing.
Hemisphere

Post by Hemisphere »

Juliana wrote:I would think if there was a known symbol with once negative connotations, even if that is not the entirety of that symbol and even if not illegal, it is best avoided in a game many cultures will be playing.
Understood :) but as I said it's just one way in which these tiles can be arranged.

I made an example here of some other arrangements (plus there's my favourite already shown in the previous image, which is as a large intertwining border)

There are 16 (or possibly 8, depending on what size I make them in the end) different mosaic pattern tiles, and they can be arranged in all manner of ways.

Of course it could be argued that each of the 4 patterns above look like swastikas, and if swastika = any 4 pointed pattern that appears to turn towards one direction, then yes I suppose they do :D
maryday wrote:*sighs*
Buying those partially quite highly developped pre-made graphics from the proposed provider might have the side effect, commercial content finds it way into.
Can you clarify exactly what you mean by "commercial content"?

If I understand right, you mean that they could look out of place - possibly "too good" when placed alongside other existing art. If this is your concern then please don't be at all worried! I feel exactly the same way about out of place art, and believe everything in a world should conform to a specific style and theme.

The models I linked to would not be used directly, in fact by the time you saw them ingame you would probably have no idea they were the same models. Textures would be changed, and the mesh would be heavily modified to fit the style of the world. The only things that would remain "as is", are the animation cycles, and the base bones and mesh of the model.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Hemisphere wrote:Personally I like the swastika as a symbol, and don't care much for any of it's more negative connotations - for me it's a symbol of the sun, and the eternal cycle of life, (as it was for the thousands of years before it was widely misused).
Even though it had religous connotations long before it was used by the Nazis, german law prohibits its use in anything except religous (REAL RELIGOUS) use. Using it in a game would be illegal, and illarion is in all technicality a german game.
Hemisphere

Post by Hemisphere »

Not wanting to nitpick, but I did post this link already ;) http://www.wisegeek.com/is-it-really-il ... ermany.htm

It's not actually a swastika, so by German law it is okay, but anyway, whatever :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgAi7DYHA94
maryday

Post by maryday »

[EDIT]((some unmatching content deleted for space saving;))

*yawns*

POLL section ((everyone may post her/his favourite;))

model from the set(s) i find most desirable, whithout further change(s);
-

model from the set(s) i find most interesting, for future development(s);
-

----

WAHL Abschnitt ((Jeder möge ihren/seinen Favouriten angeben;))

Modell aus der Sammlung, welches Ich ohne Änderungen sehr gelungen finde;
-

Modell aus der Sammlung, welches mich aufgrund von Möglichkeiten der Weiterentwicklung interessiert;
-

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modell aus der Sammlung, welches Ich ohne Änderungen sehr gelungen finde;
-beetle

Modell aus der Sammlung, welches mich aufgrund von Möglichkeiten der Weiterentwicklung interessiert;
-chicken
Last edited by maryday on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Maryday, are you on drugs?
Llama

Post by Llama »

I don't think so, but he could certainly use some.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

The server is in Austria. Look at Austrian laws, not German ones.

Otherwise, yes, I know, it was a long time ago, I think it's ridiculous too, but a lot of the community get annoyed about swastikas and mention of nazism and pictures of Stalin being posted up on the forum followed by a banning spree (good times), and Kevin's cactus digimon which was shaped kind of like a swastika in the position of its arms and legs but two of them were going the opposite way from the other two which got taken down etc. etc.

In short, you're pitching to a bunch of people who'll never accept your idea, despite the afact that the top design with the swirly square looks pretty nice.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Didn't they stop hosting it at the austrian university so they could get their own microwave oven [size=0]minus the oven[/size] ?

Also it probably depends on where illarion is registered anyway
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Illarion e.V.

A German society -> German laws

That's it.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

And the server is located in germany (Bavaria) now. Regardless of any laws, Hakenkreuze & Swastika are a clear "no way". But as long as nobody arranges the tiles in this way (and Lennier won't!)... nice tiles!
martin

Post by martin »

AlexRose wrote:The server is in Austria. Look at Austrian laws, not German ones.
The server WAS in Austria, it's in munich/Germany now. Besides that, law is rather similar in Austria, if not more strict.

Martin
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

martin wrote:rather similar in Austria, if not more strict.
I know that, I was supporting you on that point. :P
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

ooo aaa the spyglass thingy should give the user the ability to see what is beyond his screen..or something like that...i suck at explaining>,< and soap would be cool to..but maybe not so cool since we dont have that "man smells of wet wool and sweat" automatic #me's anymore.
maryday

Post by maryday »

[EDIT]((some unmatching content deleted for space saving;))

*yawns even wider*

..simply blame it on me...

*smacks wearyly*

Someone might simply try to use those advertising pictures from the crafter page to develop own meshes...Hmm..would`nt even be piracy.
Last edited by maryday on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.