New graphics - any requests?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Post by Llama »

Maryday, when you go onto one of your weird random craving and typing, please do it in a text file which you then delete. Thanks.
-

@ Olaf: I think putting a message "You see XXXX" or "You see a demon" is possible, probably.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

yeah..wha' he said! would make for great pre-battle scouting and/or for hunters looking for prey..oh..and is it possible to make stags and rabbits a bit more.."skittish"? just to make hunting a tad more interesting and hunting for food with mah orc a bit more entertaining to;) hunting from cover trying to stalk your prey is ten times as fun as just walking up to them and shift clicking in my oppinion. sorry for the off topic..i got a inspirational rush.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I don't think the AI could handle that.

Back to topic:

How about a scale sort of thing? Not like, scale from a fish, but the balancing kind that merchants would use. Not that there is an actual purpose, but I think a few npc's could use it.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

The spyglass is quite possible I think. Would be awsome to look through it and get messages like "You see a deer at arround 40 feet away in N-E direction." Or "You see Olaf at arround 20 feet S-E. He is trying to figure out what the soap does" :P
Hemisphere

Post by Hemisphere »

Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote:The spyglass is quite possible I think. Would be awsome to look through it and get messages like "You see a deer at arround 40 feet away in N-E direction." Or "You see Olaf at arround 20 feet S-E. He is trying to figure out what the soap does" :P
Agreed. That would be an incredibly cool thing. I'm sure such data exists on the server that could be relayed to the user under conditions like that.

It would be really interesting for PvP too, to track your opponents.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Spyglass? No big deal, world:getPlayersInRangeOf(pos,range), world:getNPCSInRangeOf(pos,range) and world:getMonstersInRangeOf(pos,range) are your friends. Like ten minutes of work for a scripter. Volunteers? Could make a good magic spell, too.

But this topic is about graphics. Did anybody mention we might lack custom graphics for certain herbs? I don't know what's in the drawer, but this is something to consider.
martin

Post by martin »

Please think about "What would a non-Illarionite like to see that attracts him so much to the game that he actually starts playing it" instead of "What would I, being someone who played that game for 32 years, need for my old character."

Thanks.

Martin
Last edited by martin on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hemisphere

Post by Hemisphere »

Agreed. Stuff that's really lacking and that it's almost crazy that it doesn't exist already, is best.

For example I noticed there are no lamp posts ingame - which imo are a very important part of making a town feel like a town, rather than a random collection of houses.

Just by having a few lamp posts around it automatically shows that there must be some governing body in control of that area, who funded the installation of a public convenience.

(benches and decorative flowerbeds serve a similar purpose, but I'll hold off on them for a while - benches until we have a sitting graphic anyway!)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Hemisphere wrote:For example I noticed there are no lamp posts ingame - which imo are a very important part of making a town feel like a town, rather than a random collection of houses.
We have torch holders and static oil lamps, but I suppose lamp posts might be interesting - make sure to put a lit and unlit graphic.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

martin wrote:Please think about "What would a non-Illarionite like to see that attrackts him so much to the game that he actually starts playing it" instead of "What would I, being someone who played that game for 32 years, need for my old character."

Thanks.

Martin
I don't know how possible this is, but until we have paper dolls, and even if we do, it would be nice to have the graphics of the chars not look the same. For instance, you make a human female, possibly have a choice in two hair colors, with or without cape etc. When ig the only difference now is the height.
Triton

Post by Triton »

What about marbles?
Caecilianus Cathari

Post by Caecilianus Cathari »

Triton wrote:What about marbles?
What about em?
maryday

Post by maryday »

me do think they need RP or an object-physic?

Or make them, make also pearls then..and about 4 or 6 different, girlishly colourfull to timelessy formal necklaces.

By the way..with glassblowers...
Dalgis

Post by Dalgis »

I realize that its not really the same type of graphic as an item, but I think the "equipment block" in the game's interface looks absolutely amateur. It could use an update. :wink:
Hemisphere

Post by Hemisphere »

I'd also REALLY love to update that equipment "block".

Once paperdolling is implimented (another meme around here I guess? ;)), an update for that won't be far behind :) (as it would use the same graphical resources)
Rye

Post by Rye »

Ok I'm new here and I don't want to open a hornets nest. I searched and searched but cannot find my answer anywhere in forums or manuals. Is it on purpose and not planned to change that all characters are identical except for size and race?
Hemisphere

Post by Hemisphere »

The only reason it's been like this in the past, is because there were simply no graphics made for it to be any different.

What you'll be pleased to hear (I hope!) is that Martin and I are currently - as in right now this minute! - working on getting this fixed!

When we're done, it will be possible to see a proper graphical representation of your character, complete with skin colours, hair styles, different looks depending on the type of armour or clothes you're wearing, and even the type of weapon you're holding. We're using Ultima Online as a rough graphical inspiration for this system, so expect something a little like that, only slightly more basic (as we have certain technical limitations to adhere to).
Rye

Post by Rye »

Will you have my children? *kiss*
Hemisphere

Post by Hemisphere »

send pics to my PM box and I'll consider it ;)
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Have my children too! :shock:
Friedwulfa

Post by Friedwulfa »

There is one thing i am really missing... stairs..
We have so much big buildings and castles, but just these poor ladders. Thats not nice.. nay nay
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Hemisphere wrote:The only reason it's been like this in the past, is because there were simply no graphics made for it to be any different.

What you'll be pleased to hear (I hope!) is that Martin and I are currently - as in right now this minute! - working on getting this fixed!

When we're done, it will be possible to see a proper graphical representation of your character, complete with skin colours, hair styles, different looks depending on the type of armour or clothes you're wearing, and even the type of weapon you're holding. We're using Ultima Online as a rough graphical inspiration for this system, so expect something a little like that, only slightly more basic (as we have certain technical limitations to adhere to).

i dont normaly do this..

*takes a quick glance around then hugs him hard while sulking "ah love you meeen" then lets go and walks away calmly*

Edit: when will this be ready to be implemented? :D im guessing "with time" eh?>,<
donaideenn

IG item-mount or mule replacement

Post by donaideenn »

Hey just came across this, and thought of a few suggestions of things that could be made we dont have in game.
ill list them by race.

Orc-wolves, like the ride on ones
Human Horses, we really need knights on horses

we also need birds like mentioned before and maybe even more playable races, I know theres many, but perhaps a golem,troll or giant spider as a playable race, that probably sounds crazy but i think it would be cool for like Orcs tp be allied with the gaint mountains spiders or cave golems, something like that. Just a suggestion dont bash me too much
Thanks for listening, this is 3-dog children! and your listening to galaxie news radio!

lol thanks.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

orcs on wolfes and knights on horses would be a welcome addition..giant spider characters and golems i am not so sure of...imagine the confusion when charging at a golem walking trough town only to be banned for four weeks for whacking a new player. but i do suport the horse part..maybe even havin horses for sale the same place you buy donkeys? say 10 silver per horse? maybe to much but, you know..i would get a bit confused if i saw trollsbane and there was only people riding around on horses..AND dont make the horses faster then walking humans...i dont want the autobane like you see in germany,..only with horses instead of cars :S well..enough ranting..time for that morning smoke..
Hemisphere

Re: IG item-mount or mule replacement

Post by Hemisphere »

donaideenn wrote:Hey just came across this, and thought of a few suggestions of things that could be made we dont have in game.
ill list them by race.

Orc-wolves, like the ride on ones
Human Horses, we really need knights on horses

we also need birds like mentioned before and maybe even more playable races, I know theres many, but perhaps a golem,troll or giant spider as a playable race, that probably sounds crazy but i think it would be cool for like Orcs tp be allied with the gaint mountains spiders or cave golems, something like that. Just a suggestion dont bash me too much
Thanks for listening, this is 3-dog children! and your listening to galaxie news radio!

lol thanks.
I often thought there should be something like a "play as monster" mode, simply to allow more freedom of RP and event coordination on a casual basis, by players.

For example you choose "play as monster" and you could then choose from a selection of monsters, which wouldn't function fully as normal playable races (you couldn't wear armour, for example, or use any equipment at all), but could be used by players for RP purposes (a daemon visits the town of Trollsbane with some message or threat or whatever, and thus a storyline ensues). It would also be just plain fun, to randomly roleplay on a throwaway monster character like that, and when it dies, that's it, you get logged out :D
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

You don't need new graphics...

You can play a golem, you can play a spider, you can play a mummy, you can play a troll, you can play a panther... if a GMs gives you the character :P (but the will not!)

Or: Ask an alchemist or an druids (druids are far better than ordinary alchemist ;) ).

But it just changes your appearance, not your race.
Aust

Post by Aust »

Bet someone mentioned this ages ago, but boat and ship graphics would be nice. There are some issues when it comes to making ships available for players, of course, but it would be nice for quests and such (or static ships)? I think this is something that would really attract new players as well.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

There was, at one time, a ship graphic. It was amazing. I loved it. Many loved it. It didn't work for some reason, so I heard.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Vern Kron wrote:There was, at one time, a ship graphic. It was amazing. I loved it. Many loved it. It didn't work for some reason, so I heard.
Still a static one at the sister islands.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

The one they had before was nicer if I recall.