Picklocking

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

PurpleMonkeys

Picklocking

Post by PurpleMonkeys »

I think It would be a nice idea to put picklocks in the game.. great for thieves!
discuss because thats all i have to say
Alsaya

Post by Alsaya »

This has been discussed often over the years. The thing is that it is hard to balance, there would be no borders anymore. And what would have a thief from it? He couldn't take anything with him anyways.
Last edited by Alsaya on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

In a faaaaar future it will be ig.

But currently not and it is useless... why would someone break into a house where he cannot setal anything?
Aust

Post by Aust »

It would really just be a fun possibility for thieves, I supose. Mages can get into most houses already, and I don't hear anyone complain about that. I agree a lockpicking system shouldn't be a priority, but if a large ammount of thief POs want it, and if it is easy to do, why not do it? Perhaps it "opens a door" to many interesting RP situations:P

Meanwhile, you could always just give everyone GM lockpikcs! :D
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

but if a large ammount of thief POs want it, and if it is easy to do, why not do it?
Because a DEV needs to want to do it.
Otherwise it will never be IG. In Illarion the Devs decide if they want to work on soemthign or not, it is like their hobby.

And something like this will be pretty sure just come ig, when we have a working thief-system.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Picklocking would be useful.

Not to steal something, but to get in some places.
Free someone who is in prison, break in a secret meeting, assassinate a guy who locked himself up...

so many possibilities, THAT would a thiev have from it.
The thing of stealing things outta the house can be done later, but picklocks are a MUST!
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Rekarafi wrote:but picklocks are a MUST!
http://illarion.org/~martin/scripting/luadocu.pdf

Feel free to do it.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Jupiter wrote:
Rekarafi wrote:but picklocks are a MUST!
http://illarion.org/~martin/scripting/luadocu.pdf

Feel free to do it.

-.- That you can say to any new proposal. "Do it yourself"

My guess was that there are guys out there who do such things cuz they like to.
If not, what r they doings here?
I've no idea of scripting and hope a scripter will see the needing of picklock system. Would be much funnier and my thiev char wouldnt be so damn inactive...
He just has nothing to do. Robberies are almost 0 lucrative, breaking in places is impossible, aswell as pick pocketing, so...uhm...yeah...all said.
Over and out.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Breaking in places would be useless too. Oh wow, you get access to furniture that you can't pick up!!1!1
pharse

Post by pharse »

Rekarafi wrote:Robberies are almost 0 lucrative, breaking in places is impossible, aswell as pick pocketing
Oh yeah, implement lockpicks and everything's great! Then it would be like: Robberies are almost 0 lucrative, pick pocketing is not possible, but I can break into houses where I can't get anything!
Rekarafi wrote:and hope a scripter will see the needing of picklock system.
=> I do not.

There are much more important things to do. Especially: things that appeal to me and are fun to do.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Rekarafi wrote:Picklocking would be useful.

Not to steal something, but to get in some places.
Free someone who is in prison, break in a secret meeting, assassinate a guy who locked himself up...

so many possibilities, THAT would a thiev have from it.
The thing of stealing things outta the house can be done later, but picklocks are a MUST!
Quit ignoring what this kid is saying, he has a good point.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

AlexRose wrote:Breaking in places would be useless too. Oh wow, you get access to furniture that you can't pick up!!1!1
Damien

Post by Damien »

Could be useful in dungeons only, where a group needs a lockpicking thief guy who can open stuff and find / avoid / disarm traps to advance further.
BUT, as already said, for this to be useable ingame, you need to script all the dungeons and doors and stuff, and respawnable treasure is still not really possible (except if you let a certain monster drop an item that gives "access" to a scripted item when used with it). Mucho worksies...
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Knowing the way things work in this game, I give you fifteen minutes and all doors, chastity-belts and anything even remotely resembling a lock would be picked open.

Try to jail someone, his friends pick the locks as soon as the guards log off, people would get bored and start picking locks just to entertain themselves and so on.. and disturbingly many chars would soon carry this universal key with themselves in a couple days. :/

If you want to stage a jailbreak, then (sometimes) the gamemasters might be willing to lend you a hand. And really it should be just sometimes, because otherwise the whole situation gets a little boring, frustrating and unrewarding for those people who are very important stakeholders in the process of creating jailbreaks, the guys who jail people to begin with and thus make the whole thing possible.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

We'll just get all the same old PGer noobs training the skill up anyway while the rpers have to suffer.
Aust

Post by Aust »

Stop being rude. If not to avoid hurting people's feelings, then at least to not hurt your own reasoning. A logical point is valid in it's own right, so let it speak for itself. Esepecially you, Pharse, who represent the authorities of this game, should try to encourage a nice atmosphere.

Crommy's right, I guess...

@ Matt: Lmao xD
Sssari

Post by Sssari »

pharse wrote: There are much more important things to do. Especially: things that appeal to me and are fun to do.
Care to share?
Alsaya

Post by Alsaya »

Sssari wrote:
pharse wrote: There are much more important things to do. Especially: things that appeal to me and are fun to do.
Care to share?
Priest system
Bard system
New kind of NPCs
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Retlak wrote:We'll just get all the same old PGer noobs training the skill up anyway while the rpers have to suffer.
The injustice of it all!

Although, the dungeon idea sounds good. What you COULD do is, make it UBER hard to skill up lockpicking, and then let's assume Lorian's locks are the best in the game. Or, Lorian could provide you, for a higher fee, with better locks that are harder to pick or even can't be picked at all.
Llama

Post by Llama »

As have been said before. We could put artificial uses in it (like having chests with phat loot needing someone to lockpick it open or something - however it'll just be another irritating feature that nobody likes, another hurdle that people need to PG to overcome - not fun for anyone at all.

That said we already have lockpicks ingame, however they don't just unlock doors (*looks at a certain gm and winks*)
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

They don't unlock doors at all. They DELETE doors. And completely own people.

However, there IS another graphic for a different set of non-gm-tool lockpicks.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Woah ~__~

Why do you discuss? It will get Ig someday! But do not ask when. Can be one month or 10 years...this is Illarion.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Jupiter wrote:this is Illarion.
So 10 years then :P
pharse

Post by pharse »

Aust wrote:Esepecially you, Pharse, who represent the authorities of this game
I do speak for myself as a free scripter. I do things that are important (and discussed internally), otherwise I do things that appeal to me. I am no GM. I am not even a society member. My only "authority" is my knowledge about scripting.
[...] should try to encourage a nice atmosphere.
Wait, what have I done recently... tying system... ambient triggerfields... continuously updating custom lookats for more than a year now... Night watchman NPCs... currently actively scripting for the priest system...

Oh you're right, I should do more for a nice atmosphere IG. My hourly wage then: 15€.

This is for all the ones who want to propose something on this board: Elaborate your ideas and prepare a well structured concept. Such things are appealing. Not like: "Implement lockpicking!!!!11!!1"
Aust

Post by Aust »

There is no need to get defensive. I did not critisize your programming. I critisized how you answer suggestions made by new players, who mean nothing bad about what they write. Believe it or not, scripting for a playerless game is not very rewarding.

Thank you for what you do for this game, but don't expect to be untouchable because of it. It's not like I even flamed you, I just gave people a friendly reminder. Everyone gets snappy every now and then.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Proposal rejected for the time being.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

pharse wrote:I am no GM. I am not even a society member. My only "authority" is my knowledge about scripting.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Alsaya wrote:This has been discussed often over the years. The thing is that it is hard to balance, there would be no borders anymore. And what would have a thief from it? He couldn't take anything with him anyways.
Hooray, I can quote!

Apparently Alex knows much more than I do, has read all internal boards and has talked to all developers.

Any dev is free to override my statement. But wait... my authority is my knowledge about scripting... perhaps the other scripters have a very similar opinion then...
Llama

Post by Llama »

Can we not turn this into a flamewar please?

The devs are currently working on a large number of different, and awesome systems for everyone.

Given this situation, something like this would take a large amount of time to balance, to be useful and to encode.

Therefore it is not a plausable option in this time or in the near future.

There.
Kundra

Post by Kundra »

I haven't read the whole thing but listen to my 'cents' or whatever it is you guys say.

If there ever was a lock picking system I would put it to the community that only those that choose 'thief' for their starter pack should be able to use them 'effectively', if you understand me correctly, like with the druid system and the whole having to drink a potion for it, etc... It could work like smith'n, all by chance and tries "You fail", "You successfully pick the lock", "You break the lock-pick in the door".

This way a lock picking 'skill' could be implemented and you would have to 'train' it just like slashing, reading, baking, spells whatever. Then you could get out of jail if you are high skill thief lock picker, becoming notorious and admired by other thieves - I think this would be fun to players. And if they were caught trying to improve the skill on locked doors and were caught by guards they would be punished (another reason for guards to log in game), but maybe some doors could be impossible to unlock for the pgers out there. Alot of work I know, but one must always look unto the future.

As for a graphic, just change the shade or color of the sewing needle... Not that hard is it?

Plus, in 'unruley places NPC's could be made who sell lock picks.

Don't flame me guys, if you want to add to this then fine. It isn't my decision what happens IG but if it did happen I think this would be the best way. :idea: :idea: :idea: