skill cap reset time

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Skai

skill cap reset time

Post by Skai »

If i am correct when a character reaches first cap its takes around 1 hr just

for the cap to reset fully. Well in this case some people may not have the

time for the cap to rest. (such as new players getting to know the game) I

think that either the skill cap should be shortened a little or that we allow

more experience allowed to be gained.
Llama

Post by Llama »

The cap is really nowadays an inverse square function.

So the first few seconds of your PG-ing earns you a lot of swirlies, while the latter few minutes of your day less than that.

Similarly, the amount you learn is inverse proportional (again square) to how much you already know in that skill.

So for brand new players, they're going to learn pretty quickly.

If they're just testing the waters out, they don't need to try so many different skills.
Skai

Post by Skai »

Yeah, but for people who really enjoy the game, it gets annoying when you

you have to wait for the cap. I don't mind it, but sometimes I just get

frustrated when im mining..
TiaSarah

Post by TiaSarah »

This topic has been brought up before, and most of the GMs will tell you., go roleplay for a while. This is a roleplaying game after all. I know it's a bit annoying but there's a good reason for it.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

TiaSarah wrote:This topic has been brought up before, and most of the GMs will tell you., go roleplay for a while. This is a roleplaying game after all. I know it's a bit annoying but there's a good reason for it.
/signed
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

A sophisticated solution to this problem is currently being discussed. Don't exspect any results anytime soon, though.
Gregory Hardcast

Post by Gregory Hardcast »

Skai wrote:Yeah, but for people who really enjoy the game, it gets annoying when you

you have to wait for the cap. I don't mind it, but sometimes I just get

frustrated when im mining..
The cap is really annoying when it comes to mining, but i find gaining mining skill isnt as big a deal as other trades. I usually just continue, and ignore the cap if im after specific materials. Rp your character as sleep-deprived afterwards.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

I think it depends also on the intelligence of your Char, how fast he/she learns new things. And how fast the skillcap is achieved.

(Really hard for my silly orc.. :oops: :lol: )
Olive

Post by Olive »

The problem i have with the skill cap is that lets say i want to go mining, which is fine, I have a few good miners. the problem i have is that when i am done minign i have to wait 3 hours to be able to use what i mined or do anythign else for that matter, it is forcing me to try to max out mining in order to disable the cap for that skill so i can mine and still actually do what i want to do afterwards
Pepe Zwirnfaden

Post by Pepe Zwirnfaden »

Cars. with high Int. can longer learn ^^
Skai

Post by Skai »

My intel on the character is decent. I think either 13 or 14. But the cap still

angers me.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Go Roleplay a bit while it goes down?

*suggestion*
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

wuts releplayin
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

I think, you should not be forced to roleplay. This is boring sometimes, also making angry.
I like roleplay. If i see other chars, i try to RP with em. It doesnt intrest me if i have low concentration level or not, i just RP when i get the opportunity.
But if this skill cap comes after i cut some trees or whatever, its getting boring to waste time when noone is around (had that situation alrdy, logged out then.)

So, RP should be at free choice. And pls dont tell me all would powergame then. Most (mee too) play Illarion 'cause of the Roleplaying with other chars.
Guess(Hope) most players do so aswell. So please reduce the skill cap reset time. Half it or so.

Its not like you get a message if your concentration is at max. (this is good) So you will not leave in the middle of a RP cause you wanna earn skill, thats nonsense.
So you should only need some time to recover, this is enough to search some to RP with.
If you dont find some, you can go back to work after a (shorter) while. If you find some, you are going to RP. No difference if you need 5 minutes or half an hour for recovery.
And the players who are not RPing at all (damn em) will go off when skill cap is reached. So it is not helpful to make such a long recovery time, its just annoying sometimes.

Hafe fun reading^^
Ssar'ney

Post by Ssar'ney »

It seems that I dissagree with most postings here.

Until one and a half month before I used to "skill" until hitting the cap
every avaidable day in the week and roleplayed the rest of the time
spending with Illa. And I can tell that I estimate the time spent "skilling"
without roleplay (including walking, testing things out and wait for
respawn) with Ssar'ney around 150-200 hours.

As a fighter with average int one does need 30 Minutes up to 3 hours,
depending on skill and trainingpartner, to hit the cap.

After all that powergaming neccecary for giving a char the skills for
playing a certain role, like a fighter, I would prefer if you would have a
bit more time for the roleplay after the neccecary daily skilling
(If you don´t want to need years for reaching the needed skill it is).

So, please make the recovery-time longer and the time needed to hit the cap shorter.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

If i understand you correct, you mean this only for fighters, right?
In this point i agree, it takes really much longer to hit a fighters skill cap then a crafters ones.
But all in all i stay to the point that crafting shouldnt reach the cap that fast.
Lexis Katarino

Post by Lexis Katarino »

Illarion is no PG game. Or a game just to skill. Come on. It means MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game). Alright?
The time is alright. For my opinion it could be more time.

I think we could close this thread.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

@Rekafari: Removing the cap WILL lead to PG. PG was the reason to script the cap!
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Kranek wrote:@Rekafari: Removing the cap WILL lead to PG. PG was the reason to script the cap!
The problem is the cap in place. It does not prevent PG, it only annoys those who do not PG.

We are working on a new system, but as Estralis said, don't be expecting anything anytime soon! Feel free to make more suggestions though, perhaps we could use some of the incentives. :)
Estralis Seborian

The skill cap kills my RP frequently by inducing a OOC-motivation to change the behaviour of my character. Just saying.

It is beyond discussion that the current state is not satisfying. Changing a simple number somewhere won't fix the problem. So - all we can do is pray that the devs consider the current discussion.
Olive

Post by Olive »

I think a reasonable compromise to the skillcap would be a system where you have a individual skill cap and a 'global' cap.

Meaning that lets say you have a laborer who likes to sell resources to other players. They can cut timber and collect logs til they are blue in the face, even past the 'local' cap for lumberjacking, but it will have no effect on if the player decides to say, go mining for ores right after as they will have a 'seperate' cap threshhold for that as well. But in order to prevent just jumping around from skill to skill, while allowing somebody like a carpenter or smith who has to collect their own materials to not sit idle, there might be a 250% max cap that is the global cap, where once you have 2 and a half skills at max cap you hit the global cap.

Some people are going to say "well just take a break and rp, and while i would be inclined to agree sometimes, for some chars (not players but the char) this is simply not reasonable. For instance, at 4am there isn't anybody on who my primary char would have any interest in rp'ing with, even if my char could find them. THis isn't saying that the chars on line are being avoided, but that my char has no reason to know they are online, and if they were has no specific reason to be looking for them, nor any reason to interact aside from a grunt or growl here or there.
Tanistian_Kanea

sorry olive. as stated before. if you want a whole boat load of ore or something just mine past the skill cap. there is nothing stopping you, you just don't learn anymore. i don't think it should change.
Olive

Post by Olive »

that is not the problem,. stop ignoring the part i am talkign about
the PROBLEM is that after i am done mining i have to sit around wasting time in game or log out for 8 hours to be able to do anything with the ores

and no talk of 'go rp' will be tolerated as I dont feel i shoudl be forced to run half way across the island just to maybe find somebody who doesn't want to deal with my char anyways

If people are around i RP, if not, i cant so stop actign as if 'go rp' is some panacea to the skillcap
Estralis Seborian

I consider my miner character mining as roleplay. Just saying.
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

Estralis Seborian wrote:I consider my miner character mining as roleplay. Just saying.
Whether or not you meant that to be sarcastic, it brings up a valid point.

If you have a miner/lumberjack/etc. it is almost out of character for them to stop every other hour to rp then go to work. Most people like that work from sun up to sun down. Its just who they are and what the job calls for. For them, the best rp they have is them doing their job, so by making them go back every other hour to rest means that they are trying to roleplay as something they are not.
Tanistian_Kanea

we also come back to the point. you can still mine, you just don't learn. you only stop because you want to learn more. you work for hours on end you will be to tired to learn anything, but you can still keep working on something simple. this is fine in my opinion.