Little thing about potions

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Grim_banned

Little thing about potions

Post by Grim_banned »

Two ideas:

1. I do not know if it's possible, but it would be nice if one could name (label) a potion as with a bag. It's confusing having all those same colored bottles with the same "Potion" sticker on them.

1. For the potions that have various effects upon drinking that are not graphically visible (ex: attributes change), would be ncie if you would get an info text telling what happened.. something like ... "you feel your muscles growing on you"

Discuss?
Llama

Post by Llama »

1. Has already been proposed before, I don't think its possible, since 'what you put in the potion' already uses up the data value.

1. Yes please
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I believe on one letter can be used however I agree, even that letter would be handy: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... ame+potion
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

An other idea:
How about some kind of a small bottle-box?
Technical this box would be like the bags, but with less slots, maybe just six? And you could just put anykind of bottels in it.
Then simply name the boxes like bags currently.

I am not graphic man, but I guess a wodden box isn't the hardest thing.
Llama

Post by Llama »

And how is this any different from using the normal bags ? :)
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

You don't need to use a whole bag just for one or two bottels?
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

But you can..?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Jupiter wrote:You don't need to use a whole bag just for one or two bottels?
Its still goign to take 1 slot in your depot, so you're not losing anything to have a bit more space are you?
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

I still like the idea of another batch of containers for our characters to use, not just for potions and not just made by tailors.
It adds diversity, flavour and an alternative to the heavily volume limited bags.

In the end in boils down to the lack of graphics that are aviable currently.
So if anybody discovers the artist in oneself and creates a wagon load of graphics, there is little what speaks against this proposal.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

IIRC back in the day there were chests that could be made by carpenters that served as an alternative to bags. They disappeared at some point along the line for some reason and have never made a return.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Actually, those chests are still present ingame, with a different graphic and you cannot pick them up anymore.

I don't think we need an additional container. But I agree that it is not convenient to have no idea what a potion does - but as it seems, this was intended by Falk.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

I think what Falk wanted is that you have to trust your druid if he tells you that XY is in the bottel - this is a good idea, even a great idea.

The problem is, if you buy 5 or more potions you may mix them up back excident. With some kind of lable or extra container you would still have to trust your druid, because he may write false information.
pharse

Post by pharse »

we could predefine some standard labels which could be applied by saying a text and then use ink with the bottle. The ink will disappear of course.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Hrm. You mean something like a list where you can select the text?

If yes, the problem would be that you can see all kinds of potions their are.
But in genreal this idea soudns interesting.
maryday

Depending on effect, or ingredients?

Post by maryday »

((Not select texts.
Selecting texts will only encourage non-RP poisoning;

Create a [POlearnable] description on examination,
depending on herb lore/ alchemy/ cooking/ perception.))

((Effect:))

The smell of this potion:

- is sweet.
- is so sweet you would like to finish it at once.
- is so bitter you might want to throw up at once.
- turns your stomach.
- makes your head spin.
- makes your nose itch.
- makes your eyes watering.

((like this:))

- makes your nose itch and your head spin.

- makes your head spin and your nose itch.
- makes your head spin and even more your nose itch.

((resulting in that:))

- makes your nose burn like fire, your eyes fill with tears and you feel like there is a swarm of maniac fireflies dancing in your belly...

----

((or maybe, even more poetic, depending on ingredients:))

The smell of this potion is sweet.
.. sweet, like honey.
.. sweet, like strawberries.
.. sweet, like honey and strawberries yet you notice a bitter note.
.. sweet, like strawberries and honey yet you notice a bitter note, like dried beechen leaves.

((space and phantasy consuming, yet worth a thought:))

.. sweet like honey, and you notice a note of fresh birch leaves, and after some time you think there are bitter reverbiations of this aroma lingering on.

((Might simply leave the final output of the many possible creation possibilites to a bot btw..))
maryday

Post by maryday »

Estralis Seborian wrote:... I don't think we need an additional container. . . .
There is need for about 20 to 40 containers with integrated design.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

About labeling a bottle:

What you need:
A simple parchment.

What you need to do:
1. You need to write something on the parchment
write: "!write healing potion", enter
Use the prachment, this makes the char to write healing potion on the parchment.

2. Now you use the parchment with the bottle

Result:
From now one the parchment is in the slot next to the bottle and it will move with the bottle if you move the pottle.
Example: In the first slot of the belt is the potion, in the second slot would be the parchment.
If you move your bottle in the bag and it appears in slot twenty-three the parchment would be in slot twenty-four.
If you look at the parchement you will read "healing potion" (in this example)
If you want to rip the parchment from the bottle, you simply use the parchment.

I don't know how much you could write on one parchment, but I guess the same amount as for bags.

I know that this solution is not a nice one, but it is a solution at least. And we really need away that the druid himself can lable his potions.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

I preffere to keep the potions in separate bags than have a bag full of parchments.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Noone would force you to use this.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

What is wrong with just using one letter (26 different potions) to label, at least you can keep them separate?
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

I prefer more to have a name written on a bottle than a "A".
Llama

Post by Llama »

Well if you guys decide on 26 different names for potions you can do that ...
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

I am not quite sure why 26..

There are more than 26 potions.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

According to what I understand there is only room for ONE letter that can be added ig (let me know if mistaken). IMO I don't think it is necessary for all Druids to decide on a name for a potion to match the letter. Each char that makes a potion, or a guild can decide what letter to use. When selling the potion there will STILL be a mystery as far as what potion is sold to the buyer as there is now. This lettering system will just help the ones making the potions to separate them, and will help the buyer who should be able to re-label with their own system.

If capital versus small letters can be added script-wise, that would give the option of 52 rather then 26 letters. Even adding numbers of 1-9 would add an extra nine. I am not familiar script-wise with what is possible. However, even if ONLY 26 can be added, it saves having to put each separate potion in a separate bag. You could then have 26 different potions in the same bag possibly labeling one bag emerald, another ruby etc.

I was hoping for a system similar to the bags yet be able to use something like !bottle (one letter)
Llama

Post by Llama »

I'm not quite sure how many bits of the data value aren't being used. Pharse or Falk would be able to tell you. But if there are only 26 , then it'll just be 26 letters, no numbers or caps ect.
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

At first i also thought it would be a good idea to add emotes like: "you feel like you can run as fast as a snail now".

But that does not work here. Our potions, inspecial Healing- and Pushing potions are so much dynamic, these potions can have 8 effects in same time, each effect in 2 different kinds and 4 different concentrations per kind.

That becomes a lot of stuff. And it will help? No.

The intension is, that the Non-druid has no clue about potions. He need to trust his potion dealer and maybe a lable on the bottle (that is difficult too as we know).

The only hint is the taste of a potion. Some potions tastes sweet, some are bitter. And there are also potions they tastes sweet and bitter and salty in same time!

That is the implemented code you have to work with.

"This potions pushs your muscles but switch off your brain" would be too easy. That is not what Falk intended.

If you have no trust in your potion do not drink it. Potions are a kind of magic. Some Druids are good, some are evil witches. I never heared that mages are trusted in general. Why that should be an other story here? Both are eccentric persons with strange minds.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Lennier, you are awesome.

I agree fully with what he said, really.

If we keep adding notes and hints, all the mystery of Illarion will be gone.

What next? Telling players what attribute is being shot up when they wear a ring?
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

@Moondust

Right.
But it do not take the mystery of Illarion if the druid decides what he writes on the bottle. He can call it "Merung's Special" or "Fight Lust", whatever. You STILL have to trust your druid, otherwise you may have a antidote what is a poison.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Jupiter wrote:@Moondust

Right.
But it do not take the mystery of Illarion if the druid decides what he writes on the bottle. He can call it "Merung's Special" or "Fight Lust", whatever. You STILL have to trust your druid, otherwise you may have a antidote what is a poison.
I was talking about the potions that tell you what they do
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Well, if you dope up with steroids,you'll certainly see muscles on you, wouldnt you? Same with the effects potions.. if you drink a strengh potion, why wouldnt I feel more powerful?