gem dust

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Olive

gem dust

Post by Olive »

*snip*

CBA to write a reply to somethign nobody cares to even comment on anyways
Last edited by Olive on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ogerawa

Re: gem dust

Post by ogerawa »

Olive wrote:add to this the fact that most poison stacks and you have poison that could cost upwards of twenty silvers to cure, this is no a feasible economic model for druids and makes druids LESS useful for such endeavors and only increases the utility of mage chars in game in favor of them.
Not sure who made the antidotes for you... but it's either the antidotes are low quality or you just got ripped off.
Olive wrote:What i am proposing is to make gem powder obtainable through gem cutting. based upon current gem cuttign skill. For instance, a gem cutter with skillzero has a 1/1000 chance to obtain gem poweder from a broken gem, and scales upwards to one in ten for a gem cutter with maxxed skill. since a gem cutter with perfect skill wont fail too many gems, i think this is really more than reasonable and removes the onerous pricing of a object that is so vital to even thinking about making a potion in the first place.
Rather than half proposal... which you barely can get gem powders, I would prefer if we can just crush several cut gems to make the powder. And actually make use of the gems.
Olive wrote:Druids shoudl not have to be totally relianton havign a 'second job' in order to be able to affor dtheir primary occupation. Smiths have easy access to ores, carpenters have easy access to wood, and tailors have easy access to wool and leather, dont force the druid potion making to become some second rate profession for those who have silvers tho waste on experiments.
Smiths has easy access to ores is true, but then again they also need a 'second job' (as miner) to be able to afford their primary occupation. Carpenters have to be lumberjack as well. And tailors has to kill pigs for leather. If they doesn't want to do that 'second job' then... guess what they need coins to buy those materials.

Basically druid is pretty much the same, just that it involves coins and no other choice... for now. But you can always ask the people who want the potions to buy the gem dusts and ask some more coins for the service in brewing the potions. Experiments wise, join a druid guild and ask them to teach you and tell you some recipes. Some of the potions can't really be 'experiment' because you need the exact recipe otherwise it's useless.

But yea... it would be nice to be able to make gem dusts. :lol: Also... druid is far from second rate, just that... our active druids need to learn how to make the great potions :D and some would get addicted with the potions :wink:
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I would prefer if we can just crush several cut gems to make the powder.
Word!

How about 5 gems=1 bag of powder? Hand tool could be the small tongs, a generic crafting script would do the job (so, with a menu).

Sadly, the original proposal is gone, I wonder why.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Estralis Seborian wrote:
Word!

How about 5 gems=1 bag of powder? Hand tool could be the small tongs, a generic crafting script would do the job (so, with a menu).

Sadly, the original proposal is gone, I wonder why.
Sounds wonderful!

As a side... PLEASE add some help with the new herbs which some potions need? If not dug at least a better quality?
Kadiya

Post by Kadiya »

This was one of our first idea's during the druid-system development, but it's the wish of Falk, that gem dust not become producable by players, to prevent, that the ig-market becomes overflooded with druid-potions.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

I have to say that I like it how Falk handels it with the gem dust...

It is just a bit bleh if you are exploring new potions, but well.
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

Jupiter wrote:I have to say that I like it how Falk handels it with the gem dust...

It is just a bit bleh if you are exploring new potions, but well.
Not sure how it is now, but is it possible to sell gems to Falk?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I pretty much like it too. It limits the amount of potions around and gives the potions a "value".

And it makes the gempowder a item druids will always take as quest reward ;)
Estralis Seborian

I must admit I support the point of view that gem dust is not craftable currently. But in the long run, I'd like to see it craftable. Why?
  • The mentioned motivation is to prevent something. I prefer to encourage people playing Illarion
  • Gems are now rather useless, gem grinders have no real income
  • Interaction between druids and crafters is favourable, interaction between NPCs and druids, well, pointless
  • When balanced properly, druid potions won't flood the island. Note that one needs herbs, a bottle, gem dust and a recipe. The current offer of druid potions on the market is, well, non existant
For now, I am totally fine with the current state. Druid magic is still new, maybe even bugged, and under development. But as soon as there is a steady state, making gem dust craftable is, at least, worth a shot. Nevertheless, NPCs can still sell it, to control market prices.
Kadiya

Post by Kadiya »

making gem dust craftable is, at least, worth a shot.
I agree with you...but just, when the new balance is stable and we make an item-wipe for all gems (except the magic ones) before.
Estralis Seborian

I'd agree with this! A steady state and stable balance in gem related actions is needed first before any "quick and dirty" measures are taken. Whether a gem wipe is necessary or not, well, might depend on the number of gems ingame.

Also, an "undo" option should be available, so, when it turn out that making gem dust craftable is a fault, well, a rollback should be possible. But I don't think this will be necessary when the above conditions are met.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Just make it depend on gem-cutting, its a rare enough skill as it is.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Or have the NPC just charge a 'fee' to change the gems into gem dust. If you make it around a silver for the cutting into gems, it would still set a bare minimum, and perhaps it can be different for each gem, depending upon usefulness. Some may be used on a daily basis, and may be more needed, where as some are going to be exotic, and expensive, and powerful.
HeXiS

Post by HeXiS »

i for one will continue to buy potions from npc's.. too expensive other wise and the druids are gonna go broke and uh smithing with ming as second job.. no i buy my ore and if youre a good smith.. ore is cheap compared to how much people will pay for good armors and weapons.

and due to the price of druid potions.. you wont have to worry about there being that many arround.. people will do as i do and buy the poptions from npcs... unless they are rich ofcourse.
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

HeXiS,
As far as I know, Most potions can't be bought from NPCs.