Using the teleporter while being attacked

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Using the teleporter while being attacked

Post by LifeWonder »

Should it be forbidden?
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I think it was discussed in this thread if it helps: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... teleporter
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

ban them
Spike

Post by Spike »

It was me, sorry. : /

suppose I never even considered Teles a no no while running.

I just saw a possible escape while in (oh shit mode) and went for it.

In all respect there where several things the mage had a chance at doing.
I mean, casting a block at the entrence. Using Paralizing..Hell just pushing the char from the sparkly spot..
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Well, pushing the person from the sparky spot doesn't work.

And I was lagging like hell and by the time I was there you had activated it while there were a bunch of people attacking.

I didn't complain because it's never been in the rules before, but uh, maybe it should be discussed.
Estralis Seborian

Re: Using the teleporter while being attacked

Post by Estralis Seborian »

LifeWonder wrote:Should it be forbidden?
No.

Incooperative RP is forbidden - but that does not mean that one is not allowed to flee or escape.

This game is not a competition of pwnage. When your character chases somebody and he escapes, well, bad luck?
pharse

Re: Using the teleporter while being attacked

Post by pharse »

Estralis Seborian wrote:Incooperative RP is forbidden - but that does not mean that one is not allowed to flee or escape.

This game is not a competition of pwnage. When your character chases somebody and he escapes, well, bad luck?
+ When you escape and all other players complain about it, well, perhaps rethink the way you escaped and change your gameplay?
Estralis Seborian

Ah yes:

This game is not a competition of pwnage. When your character is chased and gets caught, well, bad luck?

:arrow: Play together! No collection of very specific rules will ever satisfy everyone. And it looks awkward for new players when they read tons of rules without any idea what this game is all about.
Amadi Yusuf Randal

Post by Amadi Yusuf Randal »

My char was just put to jail because of using the teleporter during a hunting szene. Of course I roleplayed. BUT I was told it was forbidden to use it, and my char was put in jail by GM hand without any RP.
I was pissed by that fact, but I had no chance. So, please make a rule, that everybody gets the same treatment. Otherwise, its not fair if some get punished for a specivic behaviour and others dont.
Salhari

Post by Salhari »

Amadi Yusuf Randal wrote:So, please make a rule, that everybody gets the same treatment.
/signed
Zak

Post by Zak »

Amadi Yusuf Randal wrote:My char was just put to jail because of using the teleporter during a hunting szene. Of course I roleplayed. BUT I was told it was forbidden to use it, and my char was put in jail by GM hand without any RP.
That's taken out of context.

Anyway, you cannot really expect a rule for every little thing, that would be ridiculous.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

- Friendly part was deleted by Zak -

Well anyway I guess a general rule can not be made, you always need to look at the surroundings so lets say you are surrounded by a bunch of people, while allready being in the teleporter and you run to the middle spot and shout some town name, running back everytime you get pushed =bad rp.

Now if you flee from someone and you are clear, no logging out, no hiding in shadows and no abusing other game mechanics and the teleporter itself is clear, well then thats the way to go I guess.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Maybe some of you did not notice yet but nearly every rule is written in a slightly squishy way. Thats done on purpose and not because we did not know better. It leaves the GMs space for interpretating the rules based on the situation to ensure that the game goes in the way that those who bend the rules too much get punished and those who don't can have fun in the game.

There is always space for interpretation and its up to the GM and this way to the general situation if a player is punished or not.

The general situation depends mainly on the effects that rule bending had. And also first-time offenders are usually treated a little more relaxed compared to those who are part of the internal discussions every week.

Nitram
AdamsJr

So let me get this straight

Post by AdamsJr »

If we are being attacked and can't out run the person and can't defend ourselves due to inexperience we cannot use the teleport to escape. So we basically sit there and die at the mercy of whom ever it is?
Estralis Seborian

I doubt you understood the concept of cooperative roleplaying, sorry. This game is not about following strict rules like "You must not use teleporters when attacked", "You have to emote before you PK somebody" or "As long as you don't cloud others, it is OK" - it is about cooperative roleplaying!
Cooperative interaction means e.g.:
  • Grant others time to type in conflict situations
  • Leave room for mistakes of others, commit mistakes by intention yourself
  • Do not try to win but try to display your character will all kinds of desires, mistakes, habits,...
  • Be responsive to other's roleplay
  • Conflicts of the characters must not become conflicts of the players. We're playing together, not against each other
So, play your role and if odds are bad, well, die with honor or beg for mercy. You may, of course, use methods provided by the engine, but always in a cooperative way. This does not only hold for those who try to escape, but also those who chase somebody! Lose track! Stumble over roots! Involve others into your scene! Do not pwn, roleplay!
Llama

Re: So let me get this straight

Post by Llama »

AdamsJr wrote:If we are being attacked and can't out run the person and can't defend ourselves due to inexperience we cannot use the teleport to escape. So we basically sit there and die at the mercy of whom ever it is?
Or you could beg for mercy? Engine fighting is usually the last resort after a lot of roleplaying chances. So if you got yourself into that, then you should die at the mercy of X.

If you're inexperienced, don't FORCE someone to attack you, from what I know most people are VERY leniant before they start whacking you with their club, sword or whatever
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Estralis Seborian wrote:I doubt you understood the concept of cooperative roleplaying, sorry. This game is not about following strict rules like "You must not use teleporters when attacked", "You have to emote before you PK somebody" or "As long as you don't cloud others, it is OK" - it is about cooperative roleplaying!
  • Do not try to win but try to display your character will all kinds of desires, mistakes, habits,...
  • Conflicts of the characters must not become conflicts of the players. We're playing together, not against each other
So, play your role and if odds are bad, well, die with honor or beg for mercy. You may, of course, use methods provided by the engine, but always in a cooperative way. This does not only hold for those who try to escape, but also those who chase somebody! Lose track! Stumble over roots! Involve others into your scene! Do not pwn, roleplay!
I like this. We should implement some RP-pointers on nweebie Island also! And implement some links or datas like this one directly during setting the attributes for a new Char!
http://illarion.org/community/wiki/index.php/Newbies/de
http://illarion.org/community/wiki/inde ... g_Guide/de
http://illarion.org/community/wiki/inde ... aracter/de
http://illarion.org/community/wiki/index.php/FAQ/de

Further I have to say that i don't like it if someone makes jokes about others and anger them (IC). If the fourios person attacks they run away and call for help. Thats piteous. If you can't fight the Orc you shouldn't offend him. Be obedient and fear the migthy ones. (Like orcs and GM-played-red Skeletons, as a example.)

greetings
AdamsJr

response to summation

Post by AdamsJr »

In this definition of "cooperative roleplay it owuld mean someone low on the totem pole like me having to give up everything they have worked so hard for "It's already happened to me twice." They know I can't win sseing as I am new and so I have to give up my satchel and all the equipment I have worked so long and hard for. If I am following your meaning for roleplay someone says give your satchel or die I have to give up my satchel by the rules of the rp that are posted in the Illarion roleplaying perameters set down on the main site. Or is this some kind of misunderstanding of the rules of the rp set forth by illarion.
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Estralis Seborian wrote:I doubt you understood the concept of cooperative roleplaying, sorry. This game is not about following strict rules like "You must not use teleporters when attacked", "You have to emote before you PK somebody" or "As long as you don't cloud others, it is OK" - it is about cooperative roleplaying!
Not everyone's willing to do "cooperative" roleplay unfortunately and it's hard to moderate it even as an all-seeing GM.

At least make it so if you're pushed out of the middle spot in the teleporter, it doesn't teleport you or something.
AdamsJr

Response

Post by AdamsJr »

Ok so I am supposed to try and talk the person who is currently killing me out of killing me. Which also tells me that I must pretty well walk around without much of anything if I want to be able to save my equipment at least until I can get to where I can defend myself against such predators. Or am I misundrstanding this again.?
Llama

Post by Llama »

This is not a PK-ing game, this is a roleplaying game.

BEFORE you start ctrl clicking at someone, there is usually a long line of argument, discussion and visable #me threats.

If you are not strong enough to last in a P2P fight, or just don't want to ctrl click a person, DON'T continue to push.

We don't prey on other people here, its against the rules. You could even fight WITHOUT using p2p, in co-operative roleplay, yes its possible, and its very fun if everyone plays to have fun and not to win.
AdamsJr

continued

Post by AdamsJr »

I think I am being misunderstood I have as of yet to physically engage any other players say for the occassional rabbit or pig. First person that got me was south of trollsbane half way to farmers guild area I was able to talk myself right into a cross. I understand its not about "PK"as you put it from my experiences though its about "PT" player taking. Thats fine though I can hermit it for a while if I have to.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Its amazing how my character has been around for the past 2 years and has never had any of these difficulties whatsoever.

I don't think you're understanding... let me invent an example

A: [insults mother]
B: What did you say about my mother? I'll gut you like a fish
B: #me draws his blade threateningly
A: [ --- ]

Right, what A says in that line could be the difference between ending up walking to the cross, or just hostility.

I don't think anyone just senslessly PKs, that's illegal and you could report that to a GM. If in the preceding conversation, threats or obvious #mes were made, then you know that you have to back down.
AdamsJr

Post by AdamsJr »

ok
Deuce

Post by Deuce »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Its amazing how my character has been around for the past 2 years and has never had any of these difficulties whatsoever.

I don't think you're understanding... let me invent an example

A: [insults mother]
B: What did you say about my mother? I'll gut you like a fish
B: #me draws his blade threateningly
A: [ --- ]

Right, what A says in that line could be the difference between ending up walking to the cross, or just hostility.

I don't think anyone just senslessly PKs, that's illegal and you could report that to a GM. If in the preceding conversation, threats or obvious #mes were made, then you know that you have to back down.
Hadrian, I doubt you can speak on behalf of everyones experiance in game. Maybe you just got lucky.

People do senselessly PK, others call these players 'bandits'. I cant say that I either have 'seen' this recently, but that doesnt mean that it doesnt happen.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Senseless PK is bannable. That's all 'that I have to say about this really. Report it to a GM.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

I think every normal Person=Char should fear some bandits waiting for them on the streets. If you be a crafter you have to pay a guard during traveling from town to town. If you get so afraid of getting clouded you must not leave the town, its your own decision.

If my Char would run across a rich crafter without guards on the street he will rob him. If the PO do not want handle me his coins or food or other usefull stuff (or he is uncooperativ) I will try to cloud him. Simple. There are enough reasons to do that, I think.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Mesha wrote:Senseless PK is bannable. That's all 'that I have to say about this really. Report it to a GM.
Senseless PK is killing someone again and again (clouding said person again and again), and killing someone without any RP reason.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I will try to cloud him. Simple. There are enough reasons to do that, I think.
Thts exactly the problem about all the clouding and why we should have something like a "steal" command, meaning everyone who is uncooperative and beaten into submission better hands over some goods, because honestly, if you ~want~ to find a reason you always can, you could jsut sa your char is hating char x because he is race a and there you go free reason to cloud someone, basicly the GM's couldn't even do something against it..so yes.. if you need a reason to cloud someone..you will find one..
Llama

Post by Llama »

Rincewind wrote:I will try to cloud him. Simple. There are enough reasons to do that, I think.
That gives everyone reason to just senselessly PK you every time they see you.