Beggining Stats

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Tanistian_Kanea

Beggining Stats

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

This is something that as always bugged me, you can see the stats of the races as you make the character and you know some races have better stats in certain things, so if you want crazy agility you make a fairy. I don't think we need to see these numbers. why not simply a generic 1-20 for ALL stats and ALL races, and have this changed into whatever actual number.

What i am trying to suggest is that you give a brief description while making characters that describe the advantages and disadvantages of each. fairies are fast but week, gnomes are dexterous, orcs and lizards are strong, dwarfs have remarkably good health. And make the sliders 1-20. so now you have 10 being average for that race, where right now 10 is average for only those close to human. 1 is bad for that race (not nessarily bad for humans)

right now fairies have ike 10-28 agil. so they start with "average" speed even though they are slow. showing how a 1 for agil for a fairy can be slow and average. i think this would make it better during creation because now it's not i want 20 int so i can't make an dwarf because their max int is 17. this would help by making it "good" for that race, and not be so comparable to other races which i think will make choosing race easier depending on rp background and not stats, especially if the players don't know what these numbers actually are. Also it allows for easier distribution of points, there should be enough to put 12 in ever skill, which works out to way more points then it does now, and will be easier to divide up. even though you get same numbers in the end (fairies strength, 1-4. average would be 2.5 so 10 points would equal 2.5 actual strength, but rp he would be average, and really weak)

uhg. i think it's a good idea, poorly explained, simple to do. discuss. (and yes i'm back.. a bit anyway, not making any promises)
Last edited by Tanistian_Kanea on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Tip: Can you paragraph it? It looks tiring to read at the moment.
Hrar Godcairn

Post by Hrar Godcairn »

If dwarves are supposed to be good at smithing, why can they only get 17 in dexterity?
Olive

Post by Olive »

who said dwarves were good at smithing? dwarves are MINERS, they just often become smiths due to easy access to coal and iron
ogerawa

Post by ogerawa »

Hrar Godcairn wrote:If dwarves are supposed to be good at smithing, why can they only get 17 in dexterity?
Because dwarves doesn't have fingers they only have 10 thumbs :lol: Can't resist... sorry x3
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Hrar Godcairn wrote:If dwarves are supposed to be good at smithing, why can they only get 17 in dexterity?
When was the last time you saw a sober dwarf?
Tanistian_Kanea

i'm not suggesting a change of stats(though if i could get a maybe will change min-max stats so the races actually play differently [like the fairy] then i would love to work on those) i am just suggesting a change to how we see the sliders and how they correspond to the actually number. (this would let gm's alter min max stats without telling anyone what they are :twisted: )
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I absolutly fail to see the great advantage if his numbers are hidden.

Showing pseudo-numbers, as you suggested 0 - 20 and interpolate them to the real numbers leads to technical problems. Solveable problems for sure. But is it worth this? I don't think so.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

One could hide all numbers and just let people move the bars around, but people need exact numbers in certain professions like magicians. And it'd be a step back towards a hardcore-we-show-no-data-find-out-ingame-RP-ish game, a step without a use, as Nitram stated.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Olive wrote:who said dwarves were good at smithing? dwarves are MINERS, they just often become smiths due to easy access to coal and iron
You, darling, need to reread the description of dwarves.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Aegohl wrote:
Olive wrote:who said dwarves were good at smithing? dwarves are MINERS, they just often become smiths due to easy access to coal and iron
You, darling, need to reread the description of dwarves.
I m sad to say so but ~you~ should. The illarion background say with no word that dwarfs are good smiths.

Its only sayed that "They prefer good handwork, and fine crafted items. ". ;)

http://illarion.org/illarion/races/us_dwarfs.php
Tanistian_Kanea

Estralis Seborian wrote:One could hide all numbers and just let people move the bars around, but people need exact numbers in certain professions like magicians. And it'd be a step back towards a hardcore-we-show-no-data-find-out-ingame-RP-ish game, a step without a use, as Nitram stated.
IG no use what so ever. but i think it would stop people worrying so much about what number they have (and trust me, people start worrying... oh no... i'm a warrior and i only have 17 strength but he has 18 ) even if that is never said. the other thing is this would stop the human average being applied to all races. 10 is human average, but for game principles it is quite simply average, there should be more differences between races. but this starts going into changing stats.

for this also quite simple: (though never in a million years going to happen.)
each race should have 1 reall good atribute, 2 good, 1 not so good, and 1 terrible. the others "normal"
"normal" means average of 10 (what most "are" now)
good means average of 11-12
really good is 13
not so good is 9-8
terrible is average of 7
i say this coming from being a fairy. I think it is AWESOME for the fairies that they are crazy fast, incredibly weak, with bad constitution. (28,4,8 maxes respectively) i don't think there is enough of this.
but as well i would love to think of my character during creation. alright, i'm "good" at this, not "good" at this and "really bad" at this. not, well i already have 10 agil so i won't put any points there because i'm already "average" and with the current system anything above 20 is practically a waste. 1-4 strength? well i might as well put 2 points there, i go from being to strong "for a fairy". and don't say people don't think like this because they do.
people are making this character with the intention of them doing well, they want their character to be the best, and so you would get a lot of people taking massive care to pick attributes, based solely on, 10 is average, 18 is almost godly.
Last edited by Tanistian_Kanea on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarakerel

Post by Zarakerel »

I find the stat differences between nonspecial races to be meaningless right now. An elven archer has exactly the same stats and capabilities as a dwarven archer if you choose the archer class for them both. Furthermore, even if you max out an attribute, the only way to differentiate your chosen race attribute and capability wise from other races, you end up with insignificant +1 or -1 differences and a useless handicapped character.

I suggest that every non human race be taken out of the game since they are barely differentiated from humans and basically nobody plays them anyways. Either that or make non human races different from humans in a significant manner that will be be conductive to meaningful racial roleplaying and will also encourage more non human races to be played for a more diverse and interesting gameworld.
Olive

Post by Olive »

I have to take offense at this post.

Clearly you have never rp'd with the lizards or orcs if you have this opinion, nor the larger portion of the 'established' dwarves of silverbrand and goldburg, or the halflings of the littlehorn clan.

While i DO agree that the distinction between the AVERAGE elf and human is very blurred at times, I think you will find the specific racial communties are VERY diverse and rioch cultural hotbeds of RP if you choose to get involved.

(( this means dont hang out in bane and the graveyard all day))
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Zarakerel wrote:insignificant +1 or -1 differences
Oh wow, you sure understand the attribute system.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Zarakerel wrote:I find the stat differences between nonspecial races to be meaningless right now. An elven archer has exactly the same stats and capabilities as a dwarven archer if you choose the archer class for them both.
The 'class' is there to guide you. You are meant to add/remove points to it. An elven archer can max out certain things.
Furthermore, even if you max out an attribute, the only way to differentiate your chosen race attribute and capability wise from other races, you end up with insignificant +1 or -1 differences and a useless handicapped character.
Trust me, a +1/-1 makes a difference.
I suggest that every non human race be taken out of the game since they are barely differentiated from humans and basically nobody plays them anyways.
Riight so nobody plays them anyway, and you want to remove them.

Circular logic. And you don't seem to have tried to RP with non-humans. Yes there are some poorly played characters around, but there are some pretty good ones - try to talk to them.
Either that or make non human races different from humans in a significant manner that will be be conductive to meaningful racial roleplaying and will also encourage more non human races to be played for a more diverse and interesting gameworld.
Hmm, like what? Like making a town which only dwarves can enter? [Check]
Or a society which only allows Lizardkind, turning them into commies [Check]
Or a tribe which 'bullies' lesser species, and respects shows of force [Check]

You haven't been roleplaying much have you?