Promotion of Illarion / Promotion von Illarion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Estralis Seborian

Promotion of Illarion / Promotion von Illarion

Post by Estralis Seborian »

The Illarion staff is happy about every new player. In order to make Illarion more well known, we need the support of a certain Illarionite. YOU!

For this purpose, I have started a promotion campaign, to be organized by use of the Illapedia. Sites are listed there that should contain informations about Illarion. Please help by checking those sites, writing reviews and updating informations!

http://illarion.org/community/wiki/index.php/Promotion

For all those who want to vote for Illarion on the MMORPG Top List:

Any questions? Click this link!
Last edited by Estralis Seborian on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Estralis Seborian

Nobody who wants to lend a hand? :-(
Daruis Marr

Post by Daruis Marr »

Here is a small compiled list of sites I have checked, and any comments or updates that might be needed as well.

www.dmoz.org - We are listed in this open directory project, although the mention is small. We are listed under the category order "Top: World: Deutsch: Spiele: Computerspiele: Genres: Rollenspiele:". We might benefit from submitting an english version as well, and adding it with another category, if possible.

www.mmorpg-planet.de - We are found with a quick search, although the engine said one listing, I found none. Could not search the entire site, it's in the old language.

www.xtremetop100.com/mmorpg-&-mpog - Not sure if we are listed, looked over the site but couldn't find us. No site search feature.

I'll get more done, as I have free time, and will post here.
Daruis Marr

Post by Daruis Marr »

www.freemmorpglist.com - Found us under the RPG/MMORPG category, on the 22nd page out of 23. Old screenshot, from what I've been told it is from the first instance of Illarion. Description is minimal, and it could all use a well needed update. The link to the website works fine, although they also have a link for videos of Illarion, which we have left empty.

www.onrpg.com - Using the site's quick jump feature (very handy so I don't have to go through 23 pages of games) I found Illarion easily. We are not rated high, the site giving us a 2 out of 10, and others (?) giving us a 3 out of 10. I do not find any voting system, so I cannot correct this problem. The site also holds tabs for comments, reviews, latest news, interviews, and links. With a created account, one can update these tabs, and if any wish I have one ready to go. I have added a bit to the comments section and links, to help keep things up to date.

www.mmorpgwelt.de - Can't search this site well, language is in German. -We are not listed there.
Daruis Marr

Post by Daruis Marr »

www.lwjgl.org/projects.php - Searched the site to confirm we are not listed. Sent an email to the admin of the site, sending the updated promotion information and screenshots, all provided by whomever recently worked on the promotion wiki. Thanks for the help!

www.gameogre.com/freemmorpgs.htm - Searched the site to confirm we are not listed. sent and email to the admin, with the promo info from the wiki, which makes this much easier.

www.mmofury.com - Searched the site, confirming we are not listed. No contact information is listed either, the site still needs much work. Can not send any info as of yet, but will continue to check back often.
Daruis Marr

Post by Daruis Marr »

www.mmorpg100.com/index.php - Sent a request for a listing. Accout Id is 4779. They also use a voting system there, if we wish, which I cannot seem to get posted on here.

www.mmorpgdot.com - Down.

www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10075&games=980 - Down.

www.mudconnect.com - Created an account, waitign on the green light to go ahead to fill out the forms to promote there.
Daruis Marr

Post by Daruis Marr »

http://theogn.com/gamedata.php?gameid=1841 - Information it pretty much up to date, could use a spell check and a news update.. Voting is available from this link for the site, but it seems the site has low traffic.

http://tibia.gamigo.de/de/login/links.wot?l=5&p=2 - Just a small sentence, and a link. Up to date, I would say.

http://www.topmudsites.com/ - We have two posting on this site, one old, and one mostly updated. They also run a voting system as well, which you can do by using this link: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-Illarion.html .

http://www.zagidulin.net/links/muds/ - Just two links on this small page, one to the main site, and one to the screenshots page. Located within the free graphical muds, with no description.

http://www.wiki4mmo.com/index.php?title ... Play_G-M#I - Small description with single screenshot and link to the site. No update needed.

http://gamelist.mmosite.com/ - No promotion at all.

http://mmohub.org/ - No promotion at all. Not listed on the promotion site.

http://www.gameogre.com/ - Found under a search, with the information updated and accurate, with a link to the main site. No listing in any category, needs to be put somewhere.
Firedragon

Post by Firedragon »

What about using stuff like Myspace, Facebook and Twitter? I know Facebook and Myspace have tones of these ridiculous apps like "Mafia Wars," and "Vampire Wars" which suck and most of them ask for money. Yet nearly all my facebook friends play because everybody promotes the hell out of them all over their facebook. Everytime I sign into Facebook I see about 50 posts about people leveling up in Mafia Wars or whatever. So why don't we do the same thing with Illarion? Everytime you finish up an RP, get facebook and post about it and post a link to the main page. People will read it. After they've read enough of them, they'll start to wonder what the game is all about and check it out. Why would you play Mafia Wars when Illarion is much better and doesn't charge for extra features?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Do you really want the "cool kids" from your school playing illa? And posting hundreds of threads entitled "WOT IS JAVA WTF THIS GAME SUXX"?
Firedragon

Post by Firedragon »

I've been out of school for about 10 years now. I'm not too worried about what the "cool kids" think. But I do know a number of people on my facebook and on other web communities that would like the game if they tried it. Some are already interested. I just need to keep pestering 'em until they join. It's all about word of mouth.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

the problem is that illa tailors to the more serious rper, and alot of people who play video games have such a short attention span they wouldn't be interested, they just want to kill tons of stuff with cool weapons and/or skills. and most people with a long enough attention span won't even try illa because it's a computer game and there is this stigma surrounding it. or at least this is what i have found. the two groups are of course the younger generation <25, the patients ones are adults that are not really into video games. it's annoying really.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:the problem is that illa tailors to the more serious rper
Not even true anymore. I don't see anything wrong with trying to get friends on facebook to check out the game. People are often friends with others who share their interests, so we may bring in more players by introducing Illarion to people we know.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Other games that are much more "tailored" to the RPer, mostly UO 2D freeshards, manage to attract hundreds of >25 y.o. RP players (even without an account testing system), but these games have more features than illa has at the moment (a thing that is very likely to change in the future). In common, they have (and enforce) strict rules concerning roleplay as well as a strict rule NOT to play annoyingly played badass / evil / asshole characters, and they have much more active Seers than illarion has.

The problem of illarion is that maturity-related rules are not enforced strongly enough here, so the >25 - playergroup gets pissed off with silly, unfair or just annoying younger players in the long run and travels off to above mentioned UO Shards. Of course many of the "annoyers" don't stay in the long run, but 1. long enough to scare off others and 2. they tend to grow back ;)
Estralis Seborian

Don't ask. Do it. Tell your friends about Illarion, post your honest reviews whereever you want.
Estralis Seborian

Is there really nobody who wants to do his share for promoting Illarion?

Is it the wiki that scares you off?

Do you think Illarion has enough players?

Do you want to see this game die?
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Seems so.
Sort of.
No.
Never.

I speak to the people I know. The people I trust to be good role players...thats my share...
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I clicked the link you have at the top (too many links on the wiki.. possibly have just 3-4 on your initial post? ) I had to allow recaptcha in no-script and put in the words yet am not sure my vote was counted or not.

I think Illarion can always use more players, but also think there would be a lot more if some of the olders players came back to RP too.

...and NO.. never want to see it die.
Rugh'toh

Post by Rugh'toh »

The question is: What sort of player we...
a) ...want?
b) ...can attract?

With the current overall state of the IG atmosphere and storylines going on I only could advertise to play an Orc in Illa with a slogan like that:

"Orcs, the perfect harmoy of powergaming and playing storylines in a single green butt" 8)
Estralis Seborian

Rugh'toh wrote:The question is: What sort of player we...
a) ...want?
b) ...can attract?
a) The more, the merrier. Basically, everyone is welcome who does not run around, yelling "OMG UR MUMS SUCK... MY D1CK!" and killing everyone on sight.
b) Too few, as it seems. Illarion needs lots of work to be a good game. But we do this work RIGHT NOW. It would be much more motivating to do this for 1000 players instead of 188.

I'll think about a more easy way to keep the promotion lists up to date. You can promote Illarion even without any wiki work; just chose your favourite MMORPG site that allows players to write reviews or comments and submit your honest opinion.

A good way is also to target "niche sites", e.g. those who focus on Linux games or true roleplaying games that are free. Illarion cannot compete with World of Warcraft or Lineage, you know.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Trying to get players on, already got one. But yeah...it's not that easy.

I am sad if some people say "Graphics suck" in an RP game and rather play WoW..
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Rekarafi wrote:
I am sad if some people say "Graphics suck" in an RP game and rather play WoW..
Don't be hatin'
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Not hating. Sad. Illarion is a great game, but some just look after the graphics. Bad ones.
RayJ

Post by RayJ »

while worrying about promotion, a new player arrives to find the trolls bane tavern locked. that means no cooking ham, so cant be sold, no selling of plates or bowls, no selling of glass bottles, so starting a new character is very restricted. not much of a welcome.
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

Wrong. There is also a roasting oven in the Workshop ((and the other tools...more tools also)
RayJ

Post by RayJ »

you missed the point, and the solution. its not about one static tool, its about making Illarion welcoming to a newbie. and losing three of the ways of making money is not very welcoming.
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

I agree with RayJ. Recruitment is only half the battle. Some energy needs to be spent on retention.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Can we work on promotion etc. after the update? I get the feeling you will keep many more players with improved graphics then what we have now....however, from another point of view, you're more likely to keep the good rpers, and lose all the "suck my d1ck" noobies if you advertise what we have now.

More players kept = after update.
My take anyhow. And Facebook would be an awesome tool for advertising. I mentioned this before but was promptly shut down. I don't understand why....there's plenty of rp nerds like us online. Facebook is where people of all types congregate!
Estralis Seborian

Arvemor wrote:Can we work on promotion etc. after the update?
'We' should work constantly. There is no perfect time for promotion besides right now. In the past, there were always reasons not to do something. And there will always be reasons.
RayJ

Post by RayJ »

Graphics are not important, i dont care about the big VBU, i do want people to play, and admins, who know how to post without using the word dick, or otherwise being rude.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

RayJ wrote:Graphics are not important, i dont care about the big VBU, i do want people to play, and admins, who know how to post without using the word dick, or otherwise being rude.
QQ

If graphics arn't important why arn't you playing a text rpg?