New Homepage Design

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Greisling
Beginner NPC Scripter
Location: Go for more communication between Players and Staff

Post by Greisling »

:lol:

no offence, guys, no offence to anyone!

Just tried to share my first impressions with you.
Don't have any problem at all if you don't agree.

Just wanted to help.

Peace, Nitram :-)

Greisling
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

That still does not answer if you see the background still in green blending to black...
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

The background blends to complete black for me too, at the bottom at least.

Starts from a red pattern at the top down to complete black at the bottom.

My monitor is an excellent, brand new monitor adorned with a limited diamond. :lol:
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

LifeWonder wrote:The background blends to complete black for me too, at the bottom at least.

Starts from a red pattern at the top down to complete black at the bottom.

My monitor is an excellent, brand new monitor adorned with a limited diamond. :lol:
The problem is that it shows up green, instead of red, for Greisling (or atleast, as far as he is reporting it).
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

After Rosendil send me a screenshot I guess i know what font looked that bad. It was DejaVu Serif, when using it without anti aliasing of the font. I removed it from the list and hope it looks better now.

Nitram
Greisling
Beginner NPC Scripter

Post by Greisling »

Very quickly I made a screenie.
Hope you get what I was talking about.

Hope it helps,
Greisling

LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

Greisling wrote:Very quickly I made a screenie.
Hope you get what I was talking about.

Hope it helps,
Greisling

o_o;

That's exactly how the website is meant to look like.. What issue do you see in these screenies?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Okay Greisling that made it quite clear that your monitor is setted entirely false.

This graphic is supposed to be red/brown colored. Not green at all.

About the font. I'm not quite sure what font that is but to looks like Book Antiqua with a really worse setting of font anti-aliasing. All I could do against this is removing Book Antiqua from the list of fonts what would cause your page to fall back to the Times New Roman font. But this one will looks even worser with that settings of anti aliasing.

Nitram
Greisling
Beginner NPC Scripter

Post by Greisling »

Thanks for the feedback! :-)

Well, I guess it's not my monitor(s) which are entirely false setted, but my eyes which have a weakness in distinguishing greenish and brownnish surfaces ;-)

Anyway, my comment was not about the colour, but about the proportion of brown to... erm... darkness in the bottom. However, slowly I am getting used to the background style, though, don't see the reason why to make it that dark still *shrugs*

Concerning the font: Could you make a screenie please, of how the main page should look like?

Another idea which just came to my mind:
Perhaps it is worth to think about making the screenshots into the bubble in the top right corner? Just an idea, you certainly already had.

Thanks, Greisling (who won't do nit-picking any more :-P )
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

The font I see looks like Greisling's screenshot too. And I do have Constantia installed. When I display the page with the broswer's font (Times New Roman), it does look neater, although not so fitting to the game's theme.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

That looks much better, and very different from what I see. As I said, what I see is identical to the screenshots posted by Greisling. And I do have Constantia installed. :?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

alright I found the way to get the picture you see. Its using the Constantia Font wiith the old style Anti-Aliasing of Windows. And here we go the problem. The font looks as you see perfectly clear with sub-pixel based anti aliasing (ClearType). But it looks crappy without.

At this point I wonder why you have Constantia, a font optimized for ClearType and ClearType disabled. How ever its the same for all fonts. Some look good with one setting, some look good with other settings. I have no idea what to set to fit all.
Lord Arcia

Post by Lord Arcia »

I don't like it. But then again, I hate it when anything changes. It works, so it doesn't really matter to me.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Nitram wrote:The font looks as you see perfectly clear with sub-pixel based anti aliasing (ClearType). But it looks crappy without.
You're right, it's much better that way.
Greisling
Beginner NPC Scripter

Post by Greisling »

Phew.. thanks, abcfantasy.. I was about to doubt about myself ;-)

And thanks Nitram. Now it indeed looks better. Still, not as nice as you posted.
I will have a look at my settings to change that.

Well, as long as most people see it the way you (Nitram) do, everything's fine :-)

I really like the new homepage - great work! :D

Regards, Greisling
Manron

Post by Manron »

Ich find das neue Design im großen und ganzen auch sehr gelungen, die farben zwar noch etwas gewöhnungsbedürftig aber sieht nett aus! Das einzige was MICH stört, ich allerdings schon wohlwollen bemerkt habe von der Community is die Schrift die meiner Ansicht nach zu groß geraten ist! Es wirkt wie ein Kinder-Browsergame... es spiegelt nicht wirklich Illarion wieder wie es is... aber naja das is meine Meinung! Wie gesagt ich finds sehr gut gemacht, respekt an den macher des neuen Design, aber die Schrift is für mich einfach zu groß geraten :)
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Manron wrote:Ich find das neue Design im großen und ganzen auch sehr gelungen, die farben zwar noch etwas gewöhnungsbedürftig aber sieht nett aus! Das einzige was MICH stört, ich allerdings schon wohlwollen bemerkt habe von der Community is die Schrift die meiner Ansicht nach zu groß geraten ist! Es wirkt wie ein Kinder-Browsergame... es spiegelt nicht wirklich Illarion wieder wie es is... aber naja das is meine Meinung! Wie gesagt ich finds sehr gut gemacht, respekt an den macher des neuen Design, aber die Schrift is für mich einfach zu groß geraten :)
Press ctrl (lowerleft or lower right of your keyboard), and scroll with your mousewheel. Watch the letters grow smaller or larger. :)
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Die Schriftgröße von 12 sollte optimale Lesbarkeit gewährleisten und sich außerdem automatisch an die eingestellte DPI Skalierung des lokalen Systems anpassen.

Diese "Kinder-Browsergame" wie du sie nennst, verwenden eben wie es empfohlen wird auch diese Schriftart. Und ich sehe nicht recht wie eine kleine Schriftart die dann keiner mehr lesen kann "Illarion besser wiederspiegelt".

Naja... ist zur Kenntniss genommen.
Manron

Post by Manron »

Mesha wrote:
Manron wrote:Ich find das neue Design im großen und ganzen auch sehr gelungen, die farben zwar noch etwas gewöhnungsbedürftig aber sieht nett aus! Das einzige was MICH stört, ich allerdings schon wohlwollen bemerkt habe von der Community is die Schrift die meiner Ansicht nach zu groß geraten ist! Es wirkt wie ein Kinder-Browsergame... es spiegelt nicht wirklich Illarion wieder wie es is... aber naja das is meine Meinung! Wie gesagt ich finds sehr gut gemacht, respekt an den macher des neuen Design, aber die Schrift is für mich einfach zu groß geraten :)
Press ctrl (lowerleft or lower right of your keyboard), and scroll with your mousewheel. Watch the letters grow smaller or larger. :)
HA! Wusst ich nicht ^^ danke, sieht gleich viel besser aus :D
Zeshyrr

Post by Zeshyrr »

I like the new homepage and what I read of the updates in the news seems interesting. I wonder if any old friends are still around? Alora, Alaine, Athian, Aristeaus, Guillermo, Konstantin, Neonfire, Saurin...?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Zeshyrr wrote:Alora, Alaine, Athian, Aristeaus, Guillermo, Konstantin, Neonfire, Saurin...?
No, rarely, occasionally, occasionally, no, banned again, rarely, no.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Just wanted to mention, that on the right side, under the Illarion section, I find it a bit odd that the "Gods" link is where it is. I think it should be next to the "Story" link, since the gods and the background story pretty much go hand in hand.

I think the order should go:

Story, Gods, Chronicles, Database
Calender, Races, Creatures, Items

Also, I personally think the Chronicles and Calendar sections could have a short opening paragraph to explain how the calendar was calculated/created and what the chronicles are. I know it might seem obvious to us, but I think from the persepctive of a newcomer, a few opening sentences can make things easier to understand and make them want to continue reading.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Looks great ! Good work !
Rothen

Post by Rothen »

Hi es sieht klasse auf und an alle die mitgeholfen haben dies zu ermöglichen ein riesiges:DANKE