"Lightswitches"

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Pellandria

"Lightswitches"

Post by Pellandria »

I think this proposal should just be guild only ~or~ undegroundtowns only.

With the new light system the guildhalls aswell as town have obviously a darkness problem, I want to propose some sort of ligtwitsch, means the guild or town pays 500 Oil or 250 Torches or 750 Candles for every Oillamp/torchholder/latern they have in a room.
Now everytime someone opens the door to a room the lightsources in the roomget refilled and lit, the door closes automaticly after a few seconds, thus providing quick light, after the initiall lightsource has run out offuelyou can either manually refill or use the door or even use a whole different item in the room.

The high inital price is in retroperspectiv maybe even to small, because it means that an guild is provided with unlimited refills
Olive

Post by Olive »

well my suggestion would be that since all settlements have 'unseen background citizens' (which we all agree exist due to taxes that get collected out of thin air) that these background citizens could be tasked with such things as refill oil lamps and replacing burnt out torches
Gregor Dynati

Post by Gregor Dynati »

I don't know how difficult a script of moving NPCs is. But I would find it
fitting to the atmosphere, if a town or guild has to give torches, candles
and oil to the tax collector and another NPC is making his/her rounds in the
night and patrols every public lantern, torchholder and oillamp and refills
it. Is this possible for the database to handle?

So if a town is dark, the citizens can rant about the fact, that the government
does not buy enough material for the illumination of the town.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I think the town lights should always be on, regardless of whether its paid for.

I know its not 'realistic', but from a purely gameplay element...

What I would add however is

1) Static Always-on Lamps can be extinguished (using water?)
2) Extinguished Static A-O lamps are automatically relighted (using rot) after a RL 30 minutes or so.

So if you have a shady character who wants to remain hidden in the dark, he can do so.

Our new-fangled NPCs can interact with the enviroment as far as I know (at least mister sheepy does) - so I think it may be possible to have an NPC 'light' torches [*whistles for Ardian*] - however a town that has to pay N torches every 15 minutes for light is a very large overkill.

If needs be just ask for (say) a silver a day and use it as a good money drain.
Gregor Dynati

Post by Gregor Dynati »

Well, as far as I recall it, there is said somewhere else that the duration
of a light source is to be changed and balanced. So this would have to
be put into the calculation too. If a torch burns for example 30 minutes,
the costs will decrease a lot. And I agree, that light sources should be
able to switch off, like the ones you have in your hand or belt.
pharse

Post by pharse »

I am currently working on an AI for a lightmaster NPC which strolls through town and lights all static light sources stored in the scripts. The NPC has to be refilled with candles, torches and oil (by anyone). Those light sources will be on until the morning.
Possibly the NPC will patrol every ~30min and check if the lights are still on.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

pharse wrote:I am currently working on an AI for a lightmaster NPC which strolls through town and lights all static light sources stored in the scripts. The NPC has to be refilled with candles, torches and oil (by anyone). Those light sources will be on until the morning.
Possibly the NPC will patrol every ~30min and check if the lights are still on.
Sounds like a great Idea! Is it possible to put the lights off? As I know it isn't possible at the moment to put a torch off if it is placed on the wall.
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

Rincewind wrote: Sounds like a great Idea! Is it possible to put the lights off? As I know it isn't possible at the moment to put a torch off if it is placed on the wall.
Wrong. You can take away the torch again, so that the torch holder is off
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

How do you actually light the candles on tables and such? My main char spends most of his time patrolling town, and it would give him something to do if he knew how to light things...
pharse

Post by pharse »

Make sure you have enough candles in your belt and use the (static) candle.
pharse

Post by pharse »

For the lightmaster being a great addition to the game, I could need some help by checking the texts and adding new ones where it is necessary.

The volunteer will be mentioned in the news entry which will announce that it is finished ;)

Just write here if you want.
Gregor Dynati

Post by Gregor Dynati »

pharse wrote:For the lightmaster being a great addition to the game, I could need some help by checking the texts and adding new ones where it is necessary.

The volunteer will be mentioned in the news entry which will announce that it is finished ;)

Just write here if you want.
#me raises his hand to volunteer