Jewelry Suggestion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Jewelry Suggestion

Post by Llama »

Currently there's no real use to training up goldsmithing. Gold weighs too much anyway, making getting resources incredibly hard.

Also normal gems are pretty.. useless as it is, except in rare cases.

So the suggestion is that rings made by goldsmiths should act like rings with a level 1 gem on them, even if the gem in question was a normal one.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I endorse this idea!
Joxia Doral

Post by Joxia Doral »

Me too !
Joxia Doral

Post by Joxia Doral »

Me too !

erm...dunno how it got submitted twice....LOL
Last edited by Joxia Doral on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salhari

Post by Salhari »

i agree and support this proposal 100%
Salhari

Post by Salhari »

i agree and support this proposal 100%

edit- same, somehow it double posted =/
Last edited by Salhari on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Let the Goblin grind gemstones into dust for a fee. If the current price for dust is 110 coppers each, make him charge 60-70 coppers for pulverizing the gemstones that are brought to him.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Mr. Cromwell wrote:Let the Goblin grind gemstones into dust for a fee. If the current price for dust is 110 coppers each, make him charge 60-70 coppers for pulverizing the gemstones that are brought to him.
Please!
Salhari

Post by Salhari »

Achae Eanstray wrote:
Mr. Cromwell wrote:Let the Goblin grind gemstones into dust for a fee. If the current price for dust is 110 coppers each, make him charge 60-70 coppers for pulverizing the gemstones that are brought to him.
Please!
please please please!!!
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Or perhaps for a small fee, maybe 50 coppers?
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

What keeps you from making a proposal to include gem dust into the crafting system, as final product of gem grinding? Think about how many items of which kind you need and how the action is supposed to be like, also think about skill staging and we have a nice proposal the devs should consider.

I doubt it makes much sense to make magical rings craftable. The magical gems are ment as (quest-)reward, not something for everyone to toss around with.

But for rings and gems, more uses have to be found. Magical bonus? High NPC selling prices? Raw material for high end products? What do you think?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Estralis Seborian wrote:But for rings and gems, more uses have to be found. Magical bonus? High NPC selling prices? Raw material for high end products? What do you think?
I don't see what's wrong with giving someone the possibility of getting +1 to dex/strenght/whatever from wearing a ring. The reason there's nobody who does goldsmithing is because the skill is amazingly hard to train... the resources are incredibly hard to obtain... and the result is less than nice.

I think a person who spends all the time training such a hard skill (pretty much swimming up a waterfall) should be rewarded.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

@Essie

That is because Falk wishes that 1.) the gemdust takes away money from the game and that 2.) the cost limits the production quantities of potions.

When these are desirable goals, then you cannot make the gem-powdering free of 'production costs'.

I wish that 1.) Gems have more use ingame and 2.) Cutting and trading gems becomes more viable.

When you combine these two sets of goals, the best way to achieve satisfactory results is to use the goblin-npc. This way, there is still a deduction of money out of the game, and cost which limits the production quantities, but this can be decreased somewhat by providing the materials for the goblin. Furthermore, due to increased demand gems become more useful and sought after. :)
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Rings already do carry bonuses...

And if you want to trade in Gemstones do so, the only problem at the moment is there is no widely accepted consensus on how much they are worth.

Personally Gems, rings and amulets are the only loot that as a mage are viable to be collected from monsters.

Also perhaps goldcrafting would be more viable if the new types of amulet were able to be crafted.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Nalzaxx wrote:Rings already do carry bonuses....
I thought that was just a rumour...
Magdha Tiefenerz

Post by Magdha Tiefenerz »

It is a pity that things are in demand only if the have an effect with the engine. :( How about roleplaying reasons?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Magdha Tiefenerz wrote:It is a pity that things are in demand only if the have an effect with the engine. :( How about roleplaying reasons?
Because a good X ring used to cost you around 80 silvers or so :P
JonathanSmith

Post by JonathanSmith »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Magdha Tiefenerz wrote:It is a pity that things are in demand only if the have an effect with the engine. :( How about roleplaying reasons?
Because a good X ring used to cost you around 80 silvers or so :P
A perfect money sink!
Nikolaus

Post by Nikolaus »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Nalzaxx wrote:Rings already do carry bonuses....
I thought that was just a rumour...
Rumours can be true :wink:
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Indeed. It was a rumour long long ago in the times of yore.

But then at some point the dev's decided to implement those rumours.
Magdha Tiefenerz

Nalzaxx wrote:Indeed. It was a rumour long long ago in the times of yore.

Are you sure? I have something like "Find out yourself if it is just a rumour or not" in the very back of my mind.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Magdha Tiefenerz wrote:

Are you sure? I have something like "Find out yourself if it is just a rumour or not" in the very back of my mind.
I'm sure the answer to that question will be the infamous "FOIG"
Magdha Tiefenerz

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Magdha Tiefenerz wrote:

I'm sure the answer to that question will be the infamous "FOIG"
Which will be quite difficult if your char is not even near 80 silvercoins. :lol:
Salhari

Post by Salhari »

last time i played was over a year ago, and the rumor about the jewelry was around back then. I remember reading a post on it, and the answer was of course, find out in game. I bought some, not great ones, and i cant really tell is the rumors true or not.
ogerawa

Post by ogerawa »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:I think a person who spends all the time training such a hard skill (pretty much swimming up a waterfall) should be rewarded.
Garon Goldhand is the answer... and he's pretty well rewarded, seeing he owned a big house :D
Nalzaxx wrote:Also perhaps goldcrafting would be more viable if the new types of amulet were able to be crafted.
It can be crafted for a while already
JonathanSmith wrote:A perfect money sink!
Not really because the seller is a player char, so it just move to other char's depot :lol:

Maybe hammer + cut gems = gem powder? The number of cut gems needed for a bag of gem powder random and based on skill from 2 to 5? Reason a guy not that skilled hits the gem hard and some fly away to neverland thus need more gems to make the bag full :lol: This way... gems have more use and trading of the gems or powder will begin. It will one day limit the production of potions as well, because gems are not that easy to get (except if fighters get lots cut gems from their loot). I said one day will limit the production because, currently some people have lots of gems in their depot.. for now at least :roll: But too bad if it can be made by chars, this won't really be a money sink unless there are some desperate urgent need for it which won't be many, I supposed.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

ogerawa wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:I think a person who spends all the time training such a hard skill (pretty much swimming up a waterfall) should be rewarded.
Garon Goldhand is the answer... and he's pretty well rewarded, seeing he owned a big house :D
Nalzaxx wrote:Also perhaps goldcrafting would be more viable if the new types of amulet were able to be crafted.
It can be crafted for a while already
JonathanSmith wrote:A perfect money sink!
Not really because the seller is a player char, so it just move to other char's depot :lol:

Maybe hammer + cut gems = gem powder? The number of cut gems needed for a bag of gem powder random and based on skill from 2 to 5? Reason a guy not that skilled hits the gem hard and some fly away to neverland thus need more gems to make the bag full :lol: This way... gems have more use and trading of the gems or powder will begin. It will one day limit the production of potions as well, because gems are not that easy to get (except if fighters get lots cut gems from their loot). I said one day will limit the production because, currently some people have lots of gems in their depot.. for now at least :roll: But too bad if it can be made by chars, this won't really be a money sink unless there are some desperate urgent need for it which won't be many, I supposed.
Which is why it probably won't be that way, and which is why NPC-involvement will provide a nice middleground.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

..... currently some people have lots of gems in their depot
That can be solved with a similar system as herbs. Right now the "old" stacked herbs are usually not very good to use. The same could be done of "old" stacked jewels.
ogerawa

Post by ogerawa »

Well the current situation with the gem powder is that it's super expensive. A powder cost more than 1 silver coin, means the potion will have to be sold at 1.5-2 silver coins (ridiculous price for a normal old potion like healing, mana and antidote). Some monsters doesn't even drop the potions any longer and some NPCs also doesn't sell them. Druid can't really produce potion and no other source for potion, not to mention the price would be outrageous.
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

The cost of gem powder is going to turn Aldan into a poor person... :(
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

@Ogerawa

That's one of my concerns too. I fear that if there's no way (eg bringing gems to the goblin) which lowers the price of the ingredients (of which, as far as I know, there might be quite a few) the 'price' of the potions will be disproporionately high in comparison to their benefit for the user. This means that potions, except funny/extraordinary/rainy day ones will not be purchased. This is especially difficult as players are, more or less, taking a risk now, not knowing the nature of the potion at all before they use it. That kind of situation where the merchanidise is (at least on the first time) a question mark and the cost of using the product is high, will lead into low demand which makes it hard for the druids to get their money and investment back from the players. This would be suboptimal in my opinion. A base cost of 60-70 coppers (in terms of hard cash) per (basic) potion should be enough.