Doors

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Magdha Tiefenerz

Doors

Post by Magdha Tiefenerz »

Function and purpose of doors:
Doorways are there to make rooms accessible. In order to determine what enters or leaves a room mankind has invented the door. The entering (or leaving) is not limited to living beings but other things, such as wind, dust, cold, warmth, etc. maybe kept inside or outside as well.

Even if we players do not feel the cold of the winter in Illarion our characters do. And they enjoy the warmth and shelter of a building in winter the same way as we do.

So please keep the doors in the game shut during wintertime. Thank you very much!
Zak

Post by Zak »

<3
Those who do not follow that request will be punished.
Find out whether I am joking. : )

Für die Deutschen mit weniger Englisch-Praxis:

Türen im Winter sollten geschlossen werden/bleiben.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Uhm, why OOC?
Why can you not RP that you char complains IG about it?

It is one classical thing that the chars who sit in the tavern complain about the stupidness of other chars who let the door open.
Magdha Tiefenerz

Well, Zak, I wrote it just in English for a reason. :wink: But thank you very much for your support.
Jupiter wrote:Uhm, why OOC?

It is one classical thing that the chars who sit in the tavern complain about the stupidness of other chars who let the door open.
Quite simple, my characters do not speak the New Language. And I don't think that it is a problem of the characters but the players.
Last edited by Magdha Tiefenerz on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Well, then make an english #me and complain in german..

#me shakes his/her fist towards the door swearing harshly in the old language: "Du dummes Arschloch!"
Magdha Tiefenerz

Jupiter wrote:Well, then make an english #me and complain in german..

#me shakes his/her fist towards the door swearing harshly in the old language: "Du dummes Arschloch!"
Already tried it but you wouldn't believe how stubborn people can be when they read a single word in German.

Oh, and I have forgotten to mention that you have to get the people leaving the doors open to make an IG remark.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Oh so you were the player of the halfling who closed the workshop door 3 times ;) ?
Magdha Tiefenerz

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Oh so you were the player of the halfling who closed the workshop door 3 times ;) ?
Sorry, but you must be mistaken.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Jupiter wrote:Uhm, why OOC?
Because only 1% of those people that leave doors open actually left the door open purposely because their chars are without manners/in a hurry/etc...

For the rest, it's just from the player. Laziness maybe.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Umm.. if a player can be too lazy to press two buttons on their way out of a building, I'm pretty sure it's possible someone can be too lazy to close a door too.

On the way into a room in which a character intends to stay though, fair point.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

This may.. in fact probably is an unpopular opinion.. it is a game, lighten up. IF for RP purposes I wanted doors closed, say to the tavern, my char stood by the door closing them. She wound up being the "door greeter" in a way and RP'd with every char coming and going. I admit, sometimes they don't close doors, sometimes they do...a lot depends on if the PO is busy typing or not, if so my char has been accused of "blocking the door" while stopping to type an #me then close the door. Another of my chars hates indoors and is just so happy to finally leave she "forgets" to close some. Each char will have a RP reason to open or close as each PO may find something more important to concentrate on in their RP then an open or closed door. I am good with whatever.
Magdha Tiefenerz

Sorry, Achae, but most times I witness someone leaving a door open there is absolutely no roleplaying going on at that moment, so there is plenty of time closing the door. The opening and closing of doors is part of roleplaying. And the engine even supports it quite nicely with graphics and sound. Roleplaying is not just talking but your character living in the world. You can bet that a player once his character has his own house will carefully close and even lock the door, regardless if there is a roleplay going on at that moment.
And btw. laziness is always (yes, even in the real world) a very bad excuse.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

It's not an excuse. Noone has to justify being lazy.
pharse

Post by pharse »

AlexRose wrote:It's not an excuse. Noone has to justify being lazy.
Stop.

--

Justified request. Acknowledged by a Gamemaster. Just stick to it.
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

pharse wrote:
AlexRose wrote:It's not an excuse. Noone has to justify being lazy.
Stop.

--

Justified request. Acknowledged by a Gamemaster. Just stick to it.
What the hell? That's idiotic.

You're going to punish us because our character don't close the doors IC'ly?

What the hell..

*Checks the calendar to make sure it's not April first.*
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

*makes a point of leaving all doors open because his character is attracted to the cold (I.E. a ig RP reason, because it's a rp game)*
Llama

Post by Llama »

pharse wrote:Justified request. Acknowledged by a Gamemaster. Just stick to it.
It hasn't been the first time that GMs disagreed amongst themselves. I don't see why this should be enforced because a single GM agrees with it.

The request was a nice idea though, I'll try to keep it in mind.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Are those who object such infantile or just dumb?

Either way. Just my opinion. Bye.
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

hehe, one time i got mad in the tavern becaus people decided to just open the doors, and not even come in, to bother my char because he was complaining about the door being open... i asked a mage to block the doors with stone walls, make a portal into the tavern on the outside of each door, and a portal out of the tavern on the inside of each door.. good times... :D
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

pharse wrote:Are those who object such infantile or just dumb?

Either way. Just my opinion. Bye.
It's not a question of objecting.

It's an IC issue. Seriously, when did Illarion turn into an OOC arguing environment? It's OBVIOUS it's an IC issue.. Characters don't close the door, tell them to close the door.. put a FINE for not closing the door, hell I don't know, but taking administrative actions against players whose characters don't close doors is pretty ridiculous IMHO.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Would you relax? Zak did not state that if you leave a door open, you are up to being banned. Just that something may or may not happen. You might get a cold or something, or perhaps a polar bear will come in and maul you. Who knows?
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Vern Kron wrote:Would you relax? Zak did not state that if you leave a door open, you are up to being banned. Just that something may or may not happen. You might get a cold or something, or perhaps a polar bear will come in and maul you. Who knows?
A cold is a valid rp situation (from the low temperature) but I feel that further punishments will be in place for habitual characters because the Gm is being arsed to moderate for these types of things.
Alsaya

Post by Alsaya »

No one will get oocly punished because he lets a door open. Seriously guys, do you really think so badly of us? :wink:
Julius

Post by Julius »

Not you, babe. :wink:
Magdha Tiefenerz

Hadrian_Abela wrote: The request was a nice idea though, I'll try to keep it in mind.
Thank you very much Hadrian. That was exactly the purpose of my posting.

I agree with abcfantasy that laziness is the number one reason for people not to close doors. The second reason is that they have never given a thought about it. And that's why I have written something about it.
No, we cannot force anyone to close the doors. Force is always the worst motivation to do something. I hope that the community is now aware of the matter and acts accordingly. There might be one or two players who might have a roleplaying reason for not closing doors, but the majority should use the doors the way they are meant to be used.

Could someone please lock this thread now, because I don't think anything useful can be add to it. Thank you very much.