Mana drains.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Sundo Raca

Mana drains.

Post by Sundo Raca »

This is an idea which could add an element of interest to the game from the perspective of mages. You could have spots throughout the map, where within a certain radius all mana is instantly drained, making it a 'no-magic zone.' ((eg: the town jail.))

This could also be utilised in quests, for example blocking off the exits to the town and draining all the mana, so people have to actually think about possible solutions rather than just creating a portal.

I also think it would be funny seeing a normally godlike mage temporarily reduced to nothing (<.<).

I like the idea anyway.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Sure.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

OH! Like Hellsbriar is supposed to be the death of everything, then there should be no magic. Right?
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Vern Kron wrote:OH! Like Hellsbriar is supposed to be the death of everything, then there should be no magic. Right?
I have no idea what your talking about.
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

I do. :lol:
Llama

Post by Llama »

Sundo Raca wrote:
Vern Kron wrote:OH! Like Hellsbriar is supposed to be the death of everything, then there should be no magic. Right?
I have no idea what your talking about.
The Academy theory says that there are mana vacuums in hellbriar.

--

And I fully endorse this product and/or service.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Oh.. well yeah. Agreed then. :|
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

Mana vacuums in Hellbriar = Avalyon gets pwnt?

Hmm...Might be fun :P
Last edited by Bellringer on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orgis

Post by orgis »

och this would work great! orcs dinnae need tae worry bout dang mageys kicking they rears aw the time then :lol:
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

hellbriar and kumdah actually got mana vacuums..even if noones playing it out.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Pellandria wrote:hellbriar and kumdah actually got mana vacuums..even if noones playing it out.
Maybe because noone knows?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I always teach my students about mana vacuums ;) .

But yeah, I think Hellbriar should be a mana vacuum. However, A. you'd need to make it so your mana doesn't try to come back up again from your food bar in there so you don't end up starving. Also, I don't think there should be one in the prison. Just because you don't like people having magic in the prison doesn't mean we should enforce it and make some reason why the world won't allow it, unless some powerful mages did a big ritual on it. The easy solution to the prison thing is already there anyway, just don't have windows, you can't teleport in and out without windows, plus you can just rp sticking metal gloves on the mages and tying their hands behind their backs, or gagging. A mage can't cast when he can't speak, see or gesture.
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

I didn't know about mana drains but am not averse to the idea depending on what it is used for... in other words I wouldn't want to get ghosted due to one as the mage is weakest char ig without magic. I also agree with AlexRose, the jail IMO shouldn't be one.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I think a person can stop mana from crossing through places using metal I believe. But thats rp.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Vern Kron wrote:I think a person can stop mana from crossing through places using metal I believe. But thats rp.
Mana is like radioactivity apparently ;)
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

well yes just tie some mages hands, stick something in his mouth so he can't speak and there you go, defensless mage.
Draining mana just because someone wants to sounds rather strange to me, because then everyone would feel sick and tired around these places as mana is more or less lifeessence and thus figther would feel to tired to even fight aswell.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Vern Kron wrote:I think a person can stop mana from crossing through places using metal I believe. But thats rp.
Mana is like radioactivity apparently ;)
I assumed that since if you hold metal things magic is effected.
Magdha Tiefenerz

Post by Magdha Tiefenerz »

Pellandria wrote:as mana is more or less lifeessence and thus figther would feel to tired to even fight aswell.
And everyone who has no mana has no life essence? Strange, as this would mean that all my characters were lifeless zombies as none of them had any mana.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Magdha Tiefenerz wrote:
Pellandria wrote:as mana is more or less lifeessence and thus figther would feel to tired to even fight aswell.
And everyone who has no mana has no life essence? Strange, as this would mean that all my characters were lifeless zombies as none of them had any mana.

I agree with Magdha.

AND who says that mana is lifeessence? The mages say it, maybe the mages are wrong?
When I talk to PO mages, I often get the feeling that it is like: mana is the most improtant thing, everything is made of it, who says somethingelse is wrong.

The whole mana thing is for me not the reality, but a theory how the reality maybe is. A HUGE difference.

If this manatheory is declared as reality, many other chars are simply stupid beings, knowing nothing about the world. Including priest and druids.
Druids have an other theroy about the world (to be accurate there can be a lot of differecne even beteween the theories of different druids) and neither me nor my char would accept something like "uh, nothing more than superstition"

THis is a fantasy game... there never should be a big rule about how the world really is...
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

There isn't a big rule about how the world is, in my eyes anyhow. You know, I am not even sure how the staff feels about it all. I knew how Damien felt about it, but I personally would love some ideological fights between mages, druids, priests and all that. :D
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Magdha Tiefenerz wrote:
A little to fast there just as jupiter with his assumptions, those people who got no "magic gift" simply cannot store or use the mana surrounding them.
Means they are producing mana, but their body cannot hold it and thus they give it to the "world", yet it remains some kind of "lifeessence".

There is not even any explanation needed for other people druids might see the world different but one thing remains, they use herbs and those herbs have different kind of "magic" stored inside them, call it essences call it medecin, in the end its all the same.

Actually everyone has its own way to use mana, druids use herbs as "mana", priests use mana directly at the source, mages only use the mana that is surrounding them, even normal crafters se tools to change the appearence of one raw/natural "manaappeareance" into a more refined ~version~.

What might be a small msitake from your side, might be that you think that one theory automaticly blocks every other theory aswell, but the "mana is everything" theory actually leaves enough space open for other intepretations of the world, but you need to understand aswell, the magic theory of the five gods and mana and everything is actually engine supported aswell.

Maybe some here never set their eyes on the magic theory that is written down allready for years and thus they know less about it, but somehow I fail to see a big druidic viewpoint erupting somewhere or maybe there is just no druid in illa who actually says "yeah this here is my opinion".
Except from one viewpoint coming from a few halflings the actually "creation legend" seems to be accepted inside the game.
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Pellandria wrote:A little to fast there just as jupiter with his assumptions, those people who got no "magic gift" simply cannot store or use the mana surrounding them.
Means they are producing mana, but their body cannot hold it and thus they give it to the "world", yet it remains some kind of "lifeessence".
This was an argumentative own goal, dear Pella. If *normal* people give their mana, say their "lifeessence" away ALL THE TIME and it does not hurt them at all, losing mana won't hurt mages aswell! They would be like *normal* people, that is all.
Pellandria wrote:Actually everyone has its own way to use mana, druids use herbs as "mana", priests use mana directly at the source, mages only use the mana that is surrounding them, even normal crafters se tools to change the appearence of one raw/natural "manaappeareance" into a more refined ~version~.
I can't see how my crafting chars use magic, really. If you see it like this the Nordmark should not be crafting at all. Not everything ig is magic. How is smithing an armour magic? If it is a non-magic armour? You simply FORM something. You don't cast on it. :?
Pellandria wrote:What might be a small msitake from your side, might be that you think that one theory automaticly blocks every other theory aswell, but the "mana is everything" theory actually leaves enough space open for other intepretations of the world, but you need to understand aswell, the magic theory of the five gods and mana and everything is actually engine supported aswell.
How is that? Please explain!
Pellandria wrote:Maybe some here never set their eyes on the magic theory that is written down allready for years and thus they know less about it, but somehow I fail to see a big druidic viewpoint erupting somewhere or maybe there is just no druid in illa who actually says "yeah this here is my opinion".
Except from one viewpoint coming from a few halflings the actually "creation legend" seems to be accepted inside the game.
As Jupiter already stated, it is not. There are different versions, although they mostly come close to the mage version. Not everyone believes in mana as the most important substance of all!

You should read more in the forums, here is for example a group of druids who HAVE their own theories about the creation of the world!!!
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

*laughs*
you just got Rhianized ^^
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Seriously, some of the posts here sound as if the players think magic realy existed. Is this discussion IC or OOC, I can't tell anymore.

If your character has a theory about magic mana / creation of the world and wants to push that onto other characters it's called Rp.

If you as a player have a theory about magic, mana / creation of the world and want to push that onto other players... well I don't know what that is,
but I despise it.

As soon as the druid system and a priest system are implemented, people (players against players) could easily argue similarly as Pellandria does right now,
having engine support aswell for their argument then but what gain do you as a player have convincing other players of your theory about how the game world was created. :S

Nochmal auf Deutsch weil das Englisch vielleicht nicht gut zu verstehen ist:

Wenn eure Charas diskutieren wie denn jetzt die Welt entstanden ist,
oder was es mit dem Mana auf sich hat, dann find ich das in Ordnung,
ist ja auch Rp.

Aber was bringt es dir als Spieler andere Spieler von deiner Theorie überzeugen zu wollen, wie das IG abläuft mit Mana und Magie etc. pp.?

Und warum wird da sauer, wenn nicht überheblich "Ihr seid ja doof und kennt die "Wahrheit" nicht" reagiert, wenn andere Spieler deine Ideen eben nicht annehmen.

Ich versteh nicht warum alle Spieler (!) die Theorie der Magier für bare Münze nehmen müssen, und warum hier unter Spielern (!) diskutiert wird.

Die Posts hier zum Thema könnten genausogut mit den Namen der Chars unterschrieben auf dem Rp Board hängen, mich verwunderts dass ihr eure Kraft in so ne Diskussion investiert.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Kranek wrote:*laughs*
you just got Rhianized ^^
Not really.

Point 1: He never said losing mana hurt mages, otherwise mages would always feel pain when casting. The only thing anyone said was that mages without mana are the weakest characters in game, because they are physically weak, which is true.

Point 2: He never said you do magic or cast. He said that, if everything is made of mana, crafters changing one item, e.g. iron ore, into something else, e.g. iron ingots, then you are changing the mana into other forms.

Point 3: The magic system?

Point 4: He never said people wouldn't believe other things, he just said that people aren't voicing their other theories much if they do exist.

But meh, who cares?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Rhianna Morgan wrote: This was an argumentative own goal, dear Pella. If *normal* people give their mana, say their "lifeessence" away ALL THE TIME and it does not hurt them at all, losing mana won't hurt mages aswell! They would be like *normal* people, that is all.
Let me draw a normal and simple example.
Imagen people as glasses of water, some are big some are small, some have a strange shape, so they all can have waer, but depending on its size or shape some more and some less.

Now we got normal people, most normal people are small glasses with a normal shape, they can keep water but not much, everything else is overflowing.
Now we got mages who are big glasses they are huge, so they can store alot of water and not only that but they got several funnels leadin out that would not only allow water pouring from above in but also from the sides, but eventually they will overflow at some point aswell.

So now we beginn pouring water into those glasses, the small "normal" people glass flows over pretty quick, now the mage glass takes much longer to overflow, but they will aswell be full at some point.

The water of course is the naturally ability to "create" lifeforce, now the normal people give away their mana because they can't store much, yet they have some natural storage of magic aswell, but their mind/body/spirit or however you want to call it can't controll this mana so they give it away.
A mage will be giving away mana aswell, if his body can't "store" much more, but he will have a greater storage aswell, if he "produces" more mana at some point or not important at this point.

So now we got a mana vacuum a mana vacuum begins to suck water out of the glass, the normal personglass is emptied much faster than a mage glass because it hasn't so much "mana" to give, so he would feel tired and he can't concentrate.
A mage lasts longer in such regions, but it would be more devasting for a mage because he looses his way to attack/defend himself.

So coming back to the topic we had, placing random spots on the map, simply because someone just "wants" it, throwing illarion history and "rules" over board is out of questions, or if so everyone else would be influenced by this phenomena and if that would be included the positiv effects of mana streams should be included aswell as all the other negativ ones.
Rhianna Morgan wrote: I can't see how my crafting chars use magic, really. If you see it like this the Nordmark should not be crafting at all. Not everything ig is magic. How is smithing an armour magic? If it is a non-magic armour? You simply FORM something. You don't cast on it. :?
You see there is the mistakes maybe others do here aswell, "its not magic, if I don't cast" that is in my opinion again to short sighted or maybe not all counterstones of the theory are understood.
So to make it clear, when everything is mana every change to the original appearance to something is changing the "mana" within that certaint spot or item, this is why mixing potions is just as much mana as crafting a few arrows, magic is not something supernatural but something where you need the "gift", actually thats just some stats, and you need the widsom how to use said gift. A druid is only someone who knows what plant a and plant b togethere do aswell, yet you might call it magic, because noone ordinary could do it ~unless~ he had the teaching, this is what always made a difference between anything, widsom.

Now after this you could say that magic is no more than the knowledge how to create item c out of item a and item b, so just as you know that a fire is going to burn something magic is just the understanding of the arcane structures and thus the ability to change it.
Just as the knowledge how to create an harp or something else is just that...a talent and knowing how its done, magic is nothing supernatural, but something normal, which on the other side doesn't mean everyone is able to do it, it just means with talent and with a way to gain knowledge a char might be able to just do what that other guy did.
Rhianna Morgan wrote:
Pellandria wrote:[...] is actually engine supported aswell.
How is that? Please explain!
The simply fact that we got an engine n engine that ncludes special rooms, special ways to teach something and even Spells that controll different elements I gues sits obvious that a theory about these five elements is more likely than something else.
Rhianna Morgan wrote: As Jupiter already stated, it is not. There are different versions, although they mostly come close to the mage version. Not everyone believes in mana as the most important substance of all!

You should read more in the forums, here is for example a group of druids who HAVE their own theories about the creation of the world!!!
You mean "some tree stood somewhere and some branches broke off", excuse me I rather thougth that is just a methaper how this guild thinks of itself instead of some pages long explanation how the elements where created, how they changed and how they fit together on everyday live, how they are "supported" and how they are changed by someone.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Pella takes magic a little too seriously.

Im really just thinking for quests tbh, having powerful mages around makes everything a lot simpler usually, and if they were negated then it could add an interesting aspect to the quest atmosphere.

On a totally different issue i think there are too many mages ig.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I simply explain what I was asked for, I think temporarly "banning" magic from a mage out of different reasons could be fun, but to be honest your first post wasn't for this, it sounded more like "I want to kill mages at point x so drain their mana" , we got alot of nice additions that could be added around mana and maybe life drain or any othe phenomena which still exists, but is not really engine supported(except the crosses).
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

How did it sound like i was saying that? :?

Read through my post and please point out where i implied that. And im glad you think its fun.

edit: i actually have a quest idea which would involve all this perfectly, and would fit into whats currently going on ig.
Last edited by Sundo Raca on Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

This discussion is absurd.

From what I know there is no writ or rule by the staff which says: "Mana - that is the answer! Whohoooo!"

So you simply can not say that this is the ultimate truth, Pellandria.
Your char may think this, but YOU have no right to say if this right or wrong.
End. There is nothing to discuss about. Or are you assigned by the staff to be the chief of magic things?

Oh and, yes, my char does not run around shouting "THAT IS HOW THE WORLD IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
If you want to know how a druid looks at the world, feel free to visit my Merung.