Gnomish Laboratory / Gnom-Labor

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Kranek wrote:Just put a gnome in the northern gatehouse in bane and everything is fine, right?
Please explain this, I havn't a idea waht you want to say. :?
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

I meant:
If there is trouble with a new house...just script an npc for the gnomish improvments on weapens etc. and place him somewhere in Bane...
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Why not? There is just a Developer needed, who install the NPC and the gnomish-upraded-items...
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

thats what im saying rince *g*
the house isnt necessary ;)
or is my english so hard to understand? ^^
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I may be not understanding what is desired. Is this proposal to help just the gnome race, and will it be beneficial to other races played?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Its more or less an alternativ to the "magical" gems, just that the gnomes have ways to upgrade tools and weapons and what not with mechanical instead of magical upgrades.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Rincewind wrote: Chances for the Players:
  • - A new career available
    - Self-construction of gnomish Items and Inventions (Rethink them and making graphics)
    - a alternative for the NO-magic Characters
    - establishment of a gnomish society and culture on Gobaith
    - a little bit more technology for Illarion. With simple mechanic and optical gadgets like lenses or fold-out blades.
All in all, i think.. more fun for everyone!
Non-Gnom-Chars will be able to use some new exciting items. :D
(And maybe there are a slight eventuality to get involved as Non-Gnom-Char...?)
Alber G

Post by Alber G »

Rincewind wrote: (And maybe there are a slight eventuality to get involved as Non-Gnom-Char...?)
Depends on the gnomes =P
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

ENGLISH below...

Ich möchte euch die Möglichkeit geben ein paar Ideen zu betrachten und vielleicht gelingt es mir ja, den einen oder anderen noch von der Idee zu überzeugen. :wink:

Also die folgenden Upgrades/Verbesserungen habe ich lediglich aus Screenshots gebastelt, aber sie sollen zeigen in welche Richtung es gehen könnte. Nattürlich fehlen hier die typisch gnomischen Bezeichnungen... (Leider sind die Grafiken ein bisschen groß und somit pixelig, also einfach Strg+Mausrad und ein wenig zoomen :wink: )

Du siehst gnomisches Schwert. (Splitterklingenschwert)
    Die Klinge dieses Schwertes wurde in weiteren Bearbeitungsschritten so verändert, das der Stahl seine Zähigkeit eingebüßt hat. So Splittern Bei Schlägen hin und wieder Teile der Klinge ab und können besonders schlimme Wunden verursachen. Es ist Jedem klar, dass dieses Schwert wohl nicht besonders lange halten wird.
    ++Angriffstärke
    - Haltbarkeit

Du siehst Dolch mit verstecktem Mechanismus.
    Dieser Dolch klappt bei Betätigung des Schiebers am Griff zwei weitere Klingen seitlich aus. Die Klingen werden mit Hilfe einer Feder nach außen gedrückt, so wandelt sich eine Stichwunde in eine verheerende, wenn der Mechanismus ausgelöst wird, nachdem die Hauptklinge ihr Ziel gefunden hat.
    ++Angriffstärke
    - Geschwindigkeit

Du sieht Helm mit optischer Linse.
    An diesem Helm wurde eine optische Linse befestigt. Sie soll es dem Träger ermöglichen weit entfernte Dinge besser zu sehen. Dabei muss man einen kleinen Mechanismus betätigtigen, um Klar zu sehen. Man kann die Linse hochklappen.
    + Wahrnehmung

Du siehst Streithammer mit Fallmechanismus.
    Ein Kriegshammer der gekürzt wurde und mit einem fallenden Mechanismus versehen wurde. Mit ein wenig Übung gelingt es den Träger meist mit dem flexiblen Gewicht so zu balancieren, das mehr Kraft in die Schläge gelegt werden kann, aber gleichzeitig das enorme Geweicht des Kopfes ausgeglichen wird, wenn gerade nicht geschwungen wird. Im Ganzen kann der geübte Träger dem Streithammer meist sehr effektiv handhaben.
    + Angriff
    +Geschwindigkeit
    - Haltbarkeit

Du siehst gnomische Armbrust
    Dies ist eine Armbrust, wie sie Gnome fertigen. Der Bogen ist aus Metall und an der Spitze ist ein Bügel um mit dem Fuß einzutreten. Anschließend lässt sich der Bogen mit einem Hebel spannen. Der Schütze ist so in der Lage schneller den nächsten Bolzen einzulegen und der Ladevorgang geht einfacher von statten.
    + Geschwindigeit
Weitere Ideen und Mechanismen für Morgenstern, Plattenrüstung, Angel, Axt, Kampfstab, Dolch, Streitkolben und viele mehr...

_______________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________

I like to give you the chance to have a look for some ideas an maybe its able for me to persuade some critics that this Idea would be great fun! :wink:

The following Upgrades are maded of Screenshots and should give a Example for the Way we could go. Naturally there are the typical gnomish names missed... (I am sorry, that the graphics arn't in the right dimension so they are pixelated.. just use STRG+Mouse-scroller :wink: )

You see a gnomish Sword. (shiver-blade-swoard)
    The blade of this sword beacame a furhter process-step. The felxiblitiy is gone and so its possible taht parts of the blade shiver out and determind sirous wounds. It seems to be logical that such a blade get broken very early.
    ++ attackpower
    - endurance

You see a Dagger with coverd mechanism.
    This Dagger is able to fold out two more blades if the mechanism get activated. The blades would powered by a spring, so its possible to determind greater wounds with the dagger, if you activate them after hitting your target.
    +attackpower

You see a Helmet with optical lense.
    The lense, fixed on the helmet should help you to see things on far distances. You have to use a mechanism to see clearly trough the lense. Its possible to fold the lense up, if you not use it.
    + perception

You see a warhammer with falling mechanism.
    A warhammer which is shorted and updated with a heft which falls up and down. So you can hit harder and at the same time its easer to balance the big wight of the head. A skilled fighter should be able to use this hammer verry effective.
    + attackpower
    + speed
    - endurance

You see a gnomish Crossbow.
    This is a crossbow builded by Gnomes. The bow is maked out of metal. In the front you are able to place your foot, and then use the lever to clamp the bow. It should be easier for the marksman to put the next arrow in.
    + speed
Further Ideas: morningstar, fishing-rod, cuirass-plate, axe, figthing-staff, dagger, mace, and many more...

Greetings :P
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

Wow! Those look, and sound, great :)

My full support, Mr Rincewind.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Me too. Nice man :shock:
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Rince for Dev!
*waves with a flag*
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

*waves too*

I am sorry I did not support this earlier. Those ideas are great, and I think especially everyone who plays chars who DON'T like magic, and therefore are always underpowert, will be happy about some possibilities to at least stand a slight chance against someone with a magical weapon/shield/armour.

As it seems, we already have someone who wants to do the graphics *smiles to Rince* and all we need now is some players, who act as gnomes, and a dev, who implements the changes in the system.
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

The Daerwick family of gnomes, which I'm part of, would be glad to indulge in this. So long as they get to sell these. :)
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

About time someone rains on the parade.. ( :wink: )

Since graphic changes are required this would mean that a client update will be needed.

I am not sceptical of the idea, HOWEVER, I see certain issues regarding the availability of these upgrades and the balance (of efficiency, cost and value) between the magical upgrades, because neither system should make the other redundant.

Thus 1.)
a "skill" (career?) is probably out of the question as due to the mass production skilling that this requires would create an overflow of such upgrades (which, being expensive (see .2) will be dysfunctional approach). The best way of handling these upgrades probably would be to tie the ability to upgrade an item to the skill which is used to manufacture it (and require a player to purchase an expensive set of "mechanic's tools").

2.) In order to retain the balance between the gnome upgrades and magic ones, these would be comparable in price and roughly comparable in efficiency (so, some costly raw materials would be required which can be only bought from a master engineer NPC's, such as machinery pieces or whaterver).

I don't object in general as long as the upgrades are not retarded. :P
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

I agree with your issuses, we have to think about them. I also think that this upgrades should not displace the magic gems and weapons. They should complement them.

But I would be glad if this system could work without skills. I think there is too much time wasted just stand alone at a tool and train your skills. What you think about the Idea, to manage this system with roleplay.

First of all we are able to regualte the quntity of the Upgrades with the employment of rare materials and variable amounts of Coins.

Second I thougt about a "Club of Invention". Here you are able to register your char. (Against a fee?)
If your Char is registradet he /seh get his/her first "construction guidance". So the young inventor is able to build his/her first mechanism. Then he have to RP with other inventors to get other construktion guidances. All this could be handled by RP and PM's.
A construktion guidance are just the list of needed materials in a appropriate stile. Because the NPC(who changes the common Items against the uprades) will not tell them to you, and by this reason you have to ask other Chars.

How sounds this concept to you? :D
Joxia Doral

Post by Joxia Doral »

actually had an idea to be able to have a water supply near the ovens to save all those trips back and forth to the well when making dough and talked to a gnome about it months ago before the lab idea was posted not knowing that gnomes couldn't impliment ideas at that point.
I would still love to see this idea carried out by gnomes.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

I'm sorry to tell this. There are proplems, who makes it impossible to install new items on the client. So we have to rethink this proposal again until they are solved.
_______________________Greetings /Grüße________________________________

Leider muss ich sagen, dass es Propleme gibt, die es unmöglich machen, neue Items auf den Client zu installieren. Es macht wohl erst Sinn weiter hierzu nachzudenken, wenn diese gelöst sind.