New Homepage Design

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Nitram
Developer

New Homepage Design

Post by Nitram »

Well... since some months the staff works now and then at the new homepage design. The design is pretty far now but we are kidda stuck a little now.

The state of the development is visible here: http://illarion.org/test.php

How ever the design doesn't look too bad I think but the problem is the title bar. That is crappy as a whole. The "Illarion"-Text is worse in any imaginable way. The bar itself looks... strange related to the rest of the page and the wings with the ruby and the orp with a small part of a screen shot is a nice idea but the quality is not really good.

Now we are looking for ideas and maybe for some to realize the ideas for that titel area. The area should fit the the rest of the page Design and should provide at least a limited possiblity for width resizing.

We are hoping for some good ideas from the creative minds of the community.

Nitram

Edit: I would like to see the post here limited to those who have ideas how to change the titel area.
"I like it" and "I don't like it" posts are pretty useless currently.
Last edited by Nitram on Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Vielleicht Das "Illarion" mit ner FLugrost-Textur belegen? Passend dazu dann auch die Flügel einfärben. Die Flügen sind cool, nur das Schwarz apsst nich so...

Hoffe es is hilfreich...
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Well, i think that the colour of the "# players online" text should be changed, because the background makes it difficult to read.

And the O in Illarion should be replaced with a picture of a dwarf smiling.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

i agree with julius, it seems really generic.

The "R" in the illarion title bar is FAR too emphasized.

On the side bars, the background should be more than a solid color, i like how we have the faded illarion map on the current page.

I think the orb that has the players online link looks too distorted, making it just awkward. And the text is quite hard to read. I also dont like the gem+wings symbol that holds it, maybe a sort of arcane architecture isntead?

And i think the parchment colored center section stands out too much.. i always loved the blue color scheme that we've had

in the end, i'd like to see the current homepage kept the way it is. Maybe edit the height pyramid of races.. i always thought that was sort of silly.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I do not like the gem + wings on the right, looks rather strange to be honest.

If the text was more... bold and visable the circle in the middle looks great.

Otherwise I like the new colour-scheme, though I liked the older one as well.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Ein Feld mit "Aktuelle Neuigkeiten", dass die Überschrift des neuesten Newsposts zeigt (mit Link zu dessen Volltext), und das an prominenter Stelle auf der Seite, zentriert und am besten irgendwo auf Höhe des "Illarion" und dem "Spieler online Symbol" steht.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I'm gonna post my opinion, which I see as constructive criticism, and please don't take offense over.

The General, Account and Community bars aren't wide enough to cover the column. This wasn't noticeable with the old colour scheme, but now it really stands out. In a bad way. The R in Illarion really does look ridiculous; if anything needs changing it's that, and the sheen on the orb with the players list is too shiny to read the letters behind it. The background with the indents looks very nice. However, the clipart-style wings look a bit tacky on the nice background, and the gem looks quite unnatural. The pea green colour of the background of the main body of text is quite a sickly colour that isn't very pleasing to the eyes. I'd use a much darker colour.

However, overall it's quite nice, yet I don't see the need to change the appearance of the homepage at all, when it already looks perfect. But that's your decision, so meh. However, can you please keep in mind, however much time it took to design the new one, please don't choose to keep the design simply because of the effort it took, but actually how it looks, because, to be fair, I'd be a lot more attracted by the original if I were a new player, then this new one.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

AlexRose wrote:The General, Account and Community bars aren't wide enough to cover the column.
In what browser do you have that problem? Because for me it fits perfectly.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I can't even get to the test page in IE6, and I understand that you plan on encouraging people to look with other browsers, but think the front page should be accessable to all browsers or may turn off potential players who won't try to view it with another browser.

This is the pic of what I see in ff...I threw together some ideas not sure what anyone wanted and I don't have the font for the top banner.

I have the psd files for these if anyone wants

LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

// Nevermind
Last edited by LifeWonder on Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Nitram wrote:
AlexRose wrote:The General, Account and Community bars aren't wide enough to cover the column.
In what browser do you have that problem? Because for me it fits perfectly.
Firefox 3.

Screen resolution 1280x1024.
Nerwin Weidenwind

Post by Nerwin Weidenwind »

Gefällt mir.

Das Illarion ist vielleicht etwas gewöhnungsbeürftig, könnte vielleicht einen tick größer sein und wenn das R nicht wäre, wäre es mir persönlich etwas zu Modern.

Bei dieser Kugel zwischen den Flügeln würde es sicherlich schön aussehen wenn da ein Teil der Welt zu sehen ist, also als eine Art Globus.
Wenn man dann noch dafür sorgt das diese "Kugel" nicht glänzt und die Schrift etwas besser wird dann wüsste ich aktuell sonst nichts mehr.

Wenn man ein neues Forum mit einem ähnlichen Themes dann noch macht wäre es sogut wie Perfekt :)
Saril

Post by Saril »

Ein neues Forum so denke ich wird man dazu nicht brauchen. Mal abgesehen davon das ein neues Forum schlecht aussieht für ein altes RP-Game ;)

Was man machen könnte ist wohl den braunen Hintergrund mit den grünen Hintergrund aus zu tauschen, damit Hompage und Forum stimmig sind.

Ich find die Hompage gelungen. Die Kugel sieht klasse aus.
Dariya

Post by Dariya »

so, ich hab mir heute auch mal die Zeit genommen, mir meine Gedanken dazu machen:

das grüne Farbschema - wenn man sich auch an das blau/braun gewöhnt hat - gefällt mir sehr gut!
Der Hintergrund ist großartig! Die hellgrüne Fläche in der Mitte ist prima, gut zu lesen, die Schriftart gut gewählt, gut lesbar.

der Stein rechts mir den Flügeln und dem knallroten 'Klecks' passt mir nicht, da gefällt mir Achaes Version wesentlich besser, passt auch farblich eher

die Schriftart für den Titel 'Illarion' wirkt im Zusammenhang mit dem Rest der Site zu 'geradelinig', auch wenn das R schön ausholend geschwungen ist ;)
auch da gefällt mir der erste von Achaes Vorschlägen besser, passt besser zum Gesamteindruck.

Die Überschriften, wie 'Screenshot', 'Account' etc. wirken mMn ... hmmm verzerrt, in die Höhe gezogen. Die Schriftart gefällt mir gut, aber vllt ne Nummer kleiner, dass es weniger verzerrt wirkt?

jo, soweit erst mal meine 2 Cent ... konstruktive Vorschläge kann ich dazu leider nicht machen, ich berufe mich da auf Achaes Vorschläge *g*
Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Drathe »

I dont think the title is all that bad to be honest but I had a go at a few ideas that might give you some inspiration. :?:

Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I really like the orb on the right and the background marble .... what about getting rid of the bar the " illa_logo_mitte" altogether?

I made the orb slightly larger to see better and changed the color to match the parchment...

these are some fonts already shown but in png formet, yet one is a newer one and may be considered too modern.. sort of a grunge/blackletter combination.

Last edited by Achae Eanstray on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Matching colors / fonts etc. is nothing I am able to do, but I'd like that space to be used to show the two or three most recent newsposts. (See pic for reference). Clicking on one of the lines should take you down to the full newspost then.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

@Achae:

No bar at all? I think the elements in the top area look really "lost" then...

@Faladron:
Keep in mind that the area you proposed to use as "news ticker" is the area used for the resizing range of the Homepage. So on small resolutions this area is alot smaller.

Nitram
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

In Opera 9.63 the page does not fit in 1024*768 (because of the orb's right wing).

In the orb, the player numbers are hard to read on the bright background.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Just posting this one real quick, will try some others later :D

Llama

Post by Llama »

Woah, that's awesome
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

I'm thinking that a map of Illarion or Gobaith may be more appropriate in place of the forest picture. It might mean a change of font for the online players link, but it would give more of a globe feeling. I'd make an example, but I fail at graphic design. Maybe the wings could be the same color as the link?
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Dantagon Marescot wrote:I'm thinking that a map of Illarion or Gobaith may be more appropriate in place of the forest picture. It might mean a change of font for the online players link, but it would give more of a globe feeling. I'd make an example, but I fail at graphic design. Maybe the wings could be the same color as the link?
I like this idea. Just a certain, even if random place on the map. The color of the map would stand out more and be more easy to see then the current background of the orb.
Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Drathe »

Something like this?

Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

Sure that is a possibility, either that or a map of Gobaith. Though the Illarion map makes more sence consitering the title of the game. But yeah, that is what I had in mind.
jregan91

Post by jregan91 »

i think the map that you see when you log on should be updated yes but still be square unless thats not your intention sorry but if we could update this map it would look cool if you added texture i.e mountains and cities rising as its loading just a sugesstion if its not do able fine with me
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

If you want to keep the colour of the "Illarion" title, I think it just needs some more texture to make it look less 2 dimensional, perhaps slightly bigger, or maybe some kind of shape/object behind it to act as a less contrasting background color.

The font chosen for the General/Account bars etc seems a little akward because the letters are too thin for the space it has to fill.
Shara Gumblin

Post by Shara Gumblin »

Also ich finde die seite nicht wirklich schön... und wurde die Seite nicht erst dieses Jahr neu gemacht von Kadyia?

Was mir missfällt ist das Desgin und die Seite braucht sehr lange zum laden und läuft nicht flüßig...

Ich fände eine Mischung sinnvoller von der Schriftart auf das alte desgin, das wäre ein guter Kompromiss, auch kann man teilweise die neuen Vorschläge von den Banner übernehmen.. aber wie gesagt wenn dann HG und Farben vom Alten.. das neue sieht mir so nach Militär aus von der Bereichsüberschriften.. die sind etwas unglücklich..

Von meiner Seite aus sage ich NEIN zur neuen Seite.

P.S.: Die neue Seite wirkt für mich wie eine Warhammer Fanpage oder Clan Seite von einem Online Egoshooter/Tatik Game
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Shara Gumblin wrote:Was mir missfällt ist das Desgin und die Seite braucht sehr lange zum laden und läuft nicht flüßig...
Das Design in Verbindung mit dem neuen Pagebuilder läd zwischen 30% und 800% schneller als die aktuelle Seite (abhängig der Last auf dem Spielserver). Einige Verzögerungen treten höchstens dadurch auf, weil die Bilder wegen der häufigen Änderungen noch keine (zeitaufwendige) Kompression erfahren haben und dadurch noch größer sind als sie sein sollten. Das wird in der Produktiven Version dann erheblicher besser sein.

Das Ruckeln ist ein nerviger Fehler der Gecko-Engine die der Firefox einsetzt. Das ist aber leicht zu beheben indem der Hintergrund aus der Fixierung gelöst wird und mitscrollt.
Shara Gumblin wrote:Ich fände eine Mischung sinnvoller von der Schriftart auf das alte desgin, das wäre ein guter Kompromiss,
Genau da liegst du völlig falsch. Dir kommt es vielleicht so vor, weil du das alte Design gewohnt bist, aber bei neuen Spielern kommt das neue Design das jetzt angestrebt wird erheblich besser an. Rate warum so viele Seiten ein Design in dieser Richtung haben? Weil es gut ist!
Shara Gumblin wrote:Von meiner Seite aus sage ich NEIN zur neuen Seite.
Auf deine Meinung kommt es bei dieser Frage aber überhaupt nicht an. Das alte Design zu behalten steht nicht mehr zur Diskussion. Die Änderung wird garantiert erfolgen.

Nitram
Ssar'ney

Post by Ssar'ney »

Ich traue mich einmal als nicht-Graphiker meine Meinung zu äußern.

Generell ist das neue Design fantastisch! Es macht auf mich einen seriöseren Eindruck als das alte knallbunte tralala-Design.

Die Seitenleisten sehen noch ein wenig plastisch aus, vielleicht könnte dort eine gewisse Tiefendarstellund der Textur helfen?

Der Schriftzug "x chars online \n Statistics" ist für den Hintergrund zu weit oben, man kann ihn nicht wirklich lesen. Den könnte man vielleicht um einen Zentimeter nach unten versetzten.

Ich hoffe das hilft ein wenig...