On the RPG forum

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Mesha

On the RPG forum

Post by Mesha »

I would like to remind everyone again that you always have to take into account what is feasible from your char's point of view. CAn you really be everywhere in the world, to respond to every single piece of paper attached to a wall? Will everyone respond to your little piece of parchment attached to another piece of parchment?

Does it sound logical that everyone has parchment with them, along with a quiver, to write responses to every single dimwit who puts up posts on the RPG board? We are very lenient with it, and there is of yet no clear rule on this kind of behaviour, but I really want to let the players think about this. Mainly because I see people from Caelum responding on threads about the jail of Troll's Bane, and people wandering around Caelum's board, posting things about the recent incident.
and people wandering around Caelum's board, posting things about the recent incident.
And to go on about this: Isn't Caelum mostly a closed town? Keep thinking if it is even possible for your character to be there.

My suggestion: PM more. Make some of the communication between characters be more secret. Use the board for announcements, announcements which are replied to with doves and the like. But I do not really see the use of a chat board, the way it is now.

So, what are your views on this? And this is not a personal attack on anyone. Please do not go: "Oh, I was there because of this this this this this and this." I want you to think about making the RPG board more realistic. Because it just isn't realistic that everyone carries around pieces of parchment and travels around the world each day just to keep up to date with every single parchment posted by every single character in the world of Gobaith.

With that said, this isn't an official staff statement. Just me being curious as to what you think about this.
Ashayen

Post by Ashayen »

I never really thought about it that way, 'but' you're absolutely right with that.
Since some weeks the board became quite messy, sadly. And honestly, i get bored reading all that 'answers' when they're written in an interval of 2-5 minutes.
So, yes... i totally agree, use the doves, owls, wolves, llamas to send the stuff.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

I sign this too.

The RPG board should tell storys, storys behind the person or what happened to your char IG, at least I use it this way. If there is nothing to tell I usually don't write.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Alytys Lamar wrote:I sign this too.

The RPG board should tell storys, storys behind the person or what happened to your char IG, at least I use it this way. If there is nothing to tell I usually don't write.
I personally would like to add to that the use of announcements.

As I said, this is not going to be a rule, at least, not till we discuss it further internally. This is just to get your opinion on things. Signing isn't necessary, nor will it help. =)
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

You should also take in account that people use several chars for one board account or that they even want to represent a "normal" citizen, thats why using the "unsigned" stuff is pretty usefull, even if not writting for the char, that belongs to one boardaccount.

But getting away from that, the basic idea is good, people should stop playing this "I'm everywhere" stuff, but that also counts for rpg posts, how someone can manage to have several forum rp running at the same time with the same Char is somehow beyond me.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Julius travels to every town every morning to there boards for any new updates!

There, problem solved.

All kidding (I was being serious actually) aside, Mesha does have a point.
Ashayen

Post by Ashayen »

Pellandria wrote:But getting away from that, the basic idea is good, people should stop playing this "I'm everywhere" stuff, but that also counts for rpg posts, how someone can manage to have several forum rp running at the same time with the same Char is somehow beyond me.
Thats bollocks! They probably run at the same time on the forum but who tells you that they're really running at the same time..
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Generally, I believe most characters are limited by walking.
Ashayen

Post by Ashayen »

*slaps* :P
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Ashayen wrote: Thats bollocks! They probably run at the same time on the forum but who tells you that they're really running at the same time..
And ~this~ is exactly the problem, unless the rpg post is complettly useless as in giving information, how is one going to differ, what is one char going to use in his everyday play, is the rpg board another "reality" inside illarion, will your char know what he gets to know in a forum rpg and much more things to consider, this is why forum rpg's should, atleast in my opinion, only be used to either tell a story or support an allready running quest/storyline.
Julius

Post by Julius »

I think Mesha was trying to say use your replies in excise. More of a think before you post type of deal. Use common sense and ask yourself if your character should be here or there or even why they would be. Then again, only about 15 percent of the community is even going to read this thread (sadly :? ) and only 8 percent of them are going to take what she said and go by it.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Mesha wrote:
Alytys Lamar wrote:I sign this too.

I personally would like to add to that the use of announcements.

As I said, this is not going to be a rule, at least, not till we discuss it further internally. This is just to get your opinion on things. Signing isn't necessary, nor will it help. =)
:P I signed Ashies statement *gg*, cause i feel the same way. To be honest i don't read it mostly, its simple annoying for me to read announcement, notes, argues always with the same peeps - IMO :wink:
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Perhaps have a roleplay forum. And a letter/announcement forum. Keep the masses happy in a tidy atmosphere.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Aristeaus wrote:Perhaps have a roleplay forum. And a letter/announcement forum. Keep the masses happy in a tidy atmosphere.
^^pretty sensible and logical imo.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

IMO I haven't seen a problem with the RP forum until recently. Perhaps instead of trying to change the forum, setting up different parameters making possibly some cautious of using it for their chars in the process.....simply talking one on one to some PO's that may not use it as intended?
Mr. Cromwell

Re: On the RPG forum

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Mesha wrote:I would like to remind everyone again that you always have to take into account what is feasible from your char's point of view. CAn you really be everywhere in the world, to respond to every single piece of paper attached to a wall? Will everyone respond to your little piece of parchment attached to another piece of parchment?

Does it sound logical that everyone has parchment with them, along with a quiver, to write responses to every single dimwit who puts up posts on the RPG board? We are very lenient with it, and there is of yet no clear rule on this kind of behaviour, but I really want to let the players think about this. Mainly because I see people from Caelum responding on threads about the jail of Troll's Bane, and people wandering around Caelum's board, posting things about the recent incident.
and people wandering around Caelum's board, posting things about the recent incident.
And to go on about this: Isn't Caelum mostly a closed town? Keep thinking if it is even possible for your character to be there.

My suggestion: PM more. Make some of the communication between characters be more secret. Use the board for announcements, announcements which are replied to with doves and the like. But I do not really see the use of a chat board, the way it is now.

So, what are your views on this? And this is not a personal attack on anyone. Please do not go: "Oh, I was there because of this this this this this and this." I want you to think about making the RPG board more realistic. Because it just isn't realistic that everyone carries around pieces of parchment and travels around the world each day just to keep up to date with every single parchment posted by every single character in the world of Gobaith.

With that said, this isn't an official staff statement. Just me being curious as to what you think about this.
I think these (the boards) are merely a medium of communication which fills the gaps caused by the fact that this is a game. This means that despite the inability to locate people, the indifference, the limited presence of characters in the gameworld, political and other discussions can actually materialize when events or public interest occur.

So I don't have a problem with it. A good question are the unsigned parchments, though. The players should consider whether or not it's sensible that their character pins inflammatory parchments on the wall of some obscure outpost far from the character's usual territory, and not be spotted by someone.

Having said that, there's plenty of secret communication (character to character) going on. The reason why this is not so apparent is because the communication is and remains, duh, a secret. However, this kind of communication happens and does take place regularly.

One should consider that when there's a public declaration of somesort, I for one find it to be natural that it is "discussed" by the characters on the most convenient forum for that purpose. Especially so, if the controversial statement or announcement was made by using that particular medium of communication to begin with. This enables the players whose characters care about that stuff to participate the discussion, regardless of their timezones or other such issues.
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

I agree with Cromwell's post, for the most part. However, I find it really irritating when I post a parchment in HELLBRIAR, and people run up and post there with no good reason...If you're not either a) part of the Temple b) a guest of the Temple or c) A fearless explorer, then what the fudge are you doing in Hellbriar? GTFO Maeglin...

Problems like that are the only major realism issues I have...That and on boards like Tol Vanima non elves posting. It's written in Elvish for Moshran's sake!
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

From an IG perspective, I see the main guild/town topics as notes on the main board in Troll's Bane, so that e.g. a Varshikari travels to TB to let the whole island known what's going on.

If it is clear, that a specific note ist not easily available to all the public, you should think of that in your reactions.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Personally, I like the current use. I dislike people claiming they have this super secret board that is locked away.. when that is not the case IG. Hellsbriar is one of those places that is difficult to get to and, honestly, not many -want- to go there, so it makes sense that things are not read there. Thats just me.

I like that pm's are being used for messages, perhaps not enough, but still. Complaints being unsigned is probably not going to change, nor should it, because usually when some one complains IG, it ends up with that character being harrassed, teased, or even attacked by another character so it makes sense that the character is able to know 'this seems like a bad idea to sign my name on.' so they won't. Most people -know- what char is associated to what forum acc. Moreso, we have an entire mainland that is essentially left untouched. We can't rp there, even though our characters may go there. So then we board rp, for people to watch if they are curious. If that isn't your style, then perhaps writting letters back and forth is. Many people don't want people to think that their char is just -gone-. Gone as in, okay I am bored of this character and I am now deleting it, without another word.

I like the use of images in the rp posts, and guild forums and other things. They are nice, they add an effect, and it pays off. I dislike this amazing power stuff that isn't possible but oh well.

But most importantly...
I think the towns should get individual forums and not included in the guild forum!

That way no one complains about unsafe sites, its watched by the staff, and all that good stuff. Honestly, we -shouldn't- need to have special secret board on another site for many other guilds/towns, sure a secret site on -our- forum would be good but we shouldn't have this information so spread out through the web.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I like that characters can express themselves to the public through the boards. Even if it is a personal matter they are writing about, the rest of the players have a gateway into the issue through the post that they otherwise could not be a part of. This system has been used for years. As Cromwell said, we communicate(mostly) topics of public interest, if there is some useless stuff to sift through, I think it is worth it. Guilds are allowed to make disclaimers and most do, I suspect some people simply ignore them.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

i would like to see a new forum, with sub forums for each settlement, and one for general announcements, that may include island wide events/crisis. Keeping the RPG forum to stories/event narratives/whatnot.

This will get rid of annoying TB posts in RPG forum. And slightly enhance awareness that posting in hellbriar/tol vanima has certain RP restrictions
Tuatha De Oldrann

Post by Tuatha De Oldrann »

I recommend "UserGroups" for all Guilds. I have used three, and they are quite handy for keeping out unwanted solicitations.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Someone lit a bunch of firecamps in the seashore inn.

We need help putting out the fire. Bring your buckets, fast.

- Blake
By the way, I am loving your input guys.

Anyway, about the above quote. Do you have time to write a note when there are fires raging. You can also change THIS into a tiny RP moment:
Cries are heard through town about fires at the inn and the library. Anyone in Troll's Bane can see the smoke rising from the inn in the distance.
I would personally have gone about it in such a manner. P.S. not an attack on you Blake, I'm just showing my train of thought. It's just that I always wonder how people get notes carried out of an empty prison (besides themselves), and how people have time to write notes on some occasions. Perhaps I'm being pedantic.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Mesha wrote:
Someone lit a bunch of firecamps in the seashore inn.

We need help putting out the fire. Bring your buckets, fast.

- Blake
By the way, I am loving your input guys.

Anyway, about the above quote. Do you have time to write a note when there are fires raging. You can also change THIS into a tiny RP moment:
Cries are heard through town about fires at the inn and the library. Anyone in Troll's Bane can see the smoke rising from the inn in the distance.
I would personally have gone about it in such a manner. P.S. not an attack on you Blake, I'm just showing my train of thought. It's just that I always wonder how people get notes carried out of an empty prison (besides themselves), and how people have time to write notes on some occasions. Perhaps I'm being pedantic.
If you really want to go that route, then delete these notes and turn it into a rule. :wink:
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

I'm not turning anything into a rule. I already said that this is just the way I go about it, and I am curious on what you think about it. This is me from a non-staff point of view Sundo.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

But wouldn't such a post belong to the rumor topic, which was sadly deactivated for anyone else except the gms and getting a gm in the few minutes the fire is raging might be hard.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Well i agree with you, but i dont think people will change the way they post in the rpg forum unless they are asked to by the gms.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

In my eyes it wouldn't, because it isn't a rumour. It is a fact, because anyone in Troll's Bane can either smell the smoke or see it. So even the blind can pitch in. Rumours are different, in that they are usually about happenings in parts of the nation far away. Or perhaps about secret deals the Archdukes made with demons. *oops* Didn't mean to reveal that.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Umm.. well considering the PO obviously wrote that message WHILE the fire was there, I can't see the problem. PO had to load up his browser, load the forum, load the rpg forum, click new topic, make a topic and write the note, and submit it. Character had to get a piece of paper and write the note then pin it up. The PO wouldn't have been able to have been doing things ig about the fire during the time he did this, so it seems justifiable to me.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

AlexRose wrote:Umm.. well considering the PO obviously wrote that message WHILE the fire was there, I can't see the problem. PO had to load up his browser, load the forum, load the rpg forum, click new topic, make a topic and write the note, and submit it. Character had to get a piece of paper and write the note then pin it up. The PO wouldn't have been able to have been doing things ig about the fire during the time he did this, so it seems justifiable to me.
That's not the point Mesha is getting at.

The point is Blake wouldn't NEED to write it on paper as it would be pretty obvious that there was a fire.

Of course the thing is that PO's won't know about it, so they must be informed somehow.

Mesha is merely suggesting that instead of the character writing a (from an ingame perspective) useless note. The PO should instead write the information in a different way. Such as a descriptive post rather than a character post.