On the RPG forum

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Mesha wrote:In my eyes it wouldn't, because it isn't a rumour. It is a fact, because anyone in Troll's Bane can either smell the smoke or see it. So even the blind can pitch in. Rumours are different, in that they are usually about happenings in parts of the nation far away. Or perhaps about secret deals the Archdukes made with demons. *oops* Didn't mean to reveal that.
What secret deals? :roll:
Llama

Post by Llama »

So how about reactivating the rumours subforum for us all?
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I like the way that things are being done now. Sorry if it isn't -amazingly- realistic, but its quick, and if there is a fire do you really have time to type up an amazing roleplay post? I know, the game is about roleplay, but which makes more sense? Idleing for 10 minutes during a fire to write an amazing rpg post, or idlying for 2 minutes to write an announcement of distress? Truthfully, neither. Its about what is happening IG, at that moment. One wouldn't write an anouncement about a fire, but you can't just -stand- IG for a long time to write a post of a large fire. Neither side is perfect, neither side is neccisarily right. I prefer the letter way because when you get IG, there may be -no- proof of a fire, and it could also be that the fire is out when your character wanders into town. It helps keep people informed... but then again, we already said we don't like people to read everything.

Its between and a rock and a hardplace. Besides, a wise man once said to me, "Roleplay what you think is right, and just have fun. It is a game." So I will follow that.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Vern Kron wrote:I like the way that things are being done now. Sorry if it isn't -amazingly- realistic, but its quick, and if there is a fire do you really have time to type up an amazing roleplay post? I know, the game is about roleplay, but which makes more sense? Idleing for 10 minutes during a fire to write an amazing rpg post, or idlying for 2 minutes to write an announcement of distress? Truthfully, neither. Its about what is happening IG, at that moment. One wouldn't write an anouncement about a fire, but you can't just -stand- IG for a long time to write a post of a large fire. Neither side is perfect, neither side is neccisarily right. I prefer the letter way because when you get IG, there may be -no- proof of a fire, and it could also be that the fire is out when your character wanders into town. It helps keep people informed... but then again, we already said we don't like people to read everything.

Its between and a rock and a hardplace. Besides, a wise man once said to me, "Roleplay what you think is right, and just have fun. It is a game." So I will follow that.
Screams and shouts of panic are heard in the streets of trollsbane, as smoke rises from the seahorse inn.

Took 30 seconds. Honestly, if theres a fire, who would leave a note around asking for help?? Its fairly obvious what mesha is talking about.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

The same kind of person who calls 9-1-1 when there is a fire? Same principal.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

In the case of a fire, in a medieval setting people would simply use word of mouth (ie: get help ig). They arent going to leave a note somewhere hoping someone chances upon it. Of course, a short rp message explaining there's a fire does what your saying, and it still makes sense. Problem solved.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Yeah and um.. I think we assume posts are on the TB notice board, yes?

So what people in TB need to read such a note when they can already see the fire?

But yes, unrealistic as it is, I like the way illarion rpg threads work now. As seen many times before, sometimes TOO realistic spoils the fun.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Really what we're trying to avoid is what come out to flame wars in-character, which just seem to me bad on multiple levels. It's like you get tired of the flamewars on the other parts of the board and retreat to the RPG board to see that it's actually worse there. =)
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

It's not flamewars on the RPG board, it's arguments. ;)

They have to happen anyway, to get them out of the system and to make any progress.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

I don't get ig, Mitch. :|
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

i don't think, that the style of a post about fire matters. to post or not to post, that is the question....
a person detecting a fire, normally would yell. let the char do the same thing. let him yell ingame.
a post on the RPG board for help falls in the same category as MSN calls to buddies "we are under attack by those darned ..." or the worldwide voices from heaven:"you hear, that a sack full of rice spills in trollsbane..."

maybe, that everything, that happens out of hearing distance should not immediately be attended to?