Semi public storage

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Olive

Semi public storage

Post by Olive »

I understand that a person can place items in the various chests and that anybody then can come by and take the item out of the chest. But that the item if not claimed would rot as normal.

My question is simple, is there a way that a sort of public depot can be made where the items will not rot, but anybody can access the items inside.

I will give an example.

PLayer A is a miner in a closed access guild. PLayer B is a smith in same guild. PLayer A is never online at the same time as player B so they cannot get together to trade withoutgoing through a player C who may or may not be willing to help out as they might want to be someplace else. A public depot, especially if its behidn a locked door, would allow player A to trade with player B without having to try to find uncooperative players or trying to find the one time during the week thatthey can get on at the same time

Now players D E and F could always come by and take the items inside and that woudl be for the guild or clan to work out
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

I seem to remember there was a concept awhile ago of having certain tiles ingame upon which items did not rot.

I like this idea and would support it. Perhaps even make such chests moveable so you could create makeshift camps and bases in the wilderness.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Olive, that proposal was made...thousand of times.

And you are long enough around to know that.
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

I've always wanted something like this, it certainly works on a guild level within a locked building in that it allows the guild to keep communal resources eg food/basic weapons/tools etc in one area for easy access, so that all members may take as needed.

It just needs to be a depot that can be used by all - locked rooms could make it possible to use in any building.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

I like this proposal. Its obvious olive has the orcs in mind, and such a group could definitely use something like this.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Bellringer wrote:It just needs to be a depot that can be used by all -
This "just" thing is the problem. From what I herad it is technical not easy to do.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Actually, the problem is that if the server crashes you lose it.

All of it.
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

Acceptable risk, in my opinion.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

not is you work for 2 weeks to raise the ressources to build a toilet....and then everything is gone with a servercrash...
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

No way to get this working in a acceptable way.

And Bellringer... "acceptable risk" just have a look at the mules and the moaning going on if they disappear now and then ( and there you just loose some silver and no items ). Now what do you think will happen in case whole depots disappear.

No way.

Nitram
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

But could it be possible that someone can acces a "special" depot that can be used for a whole guild or town?

How I'm thinking of this is easy, you got a special "guild" npc and a special "guild" depot, that guild npc can add people to the guild depot, as soon as one acces said depot then, and because he is "marked" he will acces a special id'ed depot, is that possible?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

*blinks*

What?

eh.. guess not. NPCs can't have depots. Any other way fails at the common problem of storing.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

The current storgae should work like this "char x got id 123-> char uses depot-> serv checks id and opens the specific depot".
Now we are saying we got the Grey rose, the grey rose gets the Depot id 200, now we include a npc that marks special "guild chars" so when they use the guild depot they get the Number of the guild depot.

So for example we still got Char 123.

He uses the guilddepot and the following wll happen, the server looks up the chars "special" Id code, if he is not "marked" via such an Id code only the normal Depot will open for him(Id code 123), but if he is "marked" with a special Id code he will see the guilddepot(Id code 200), so instead of having only one char who uses the special guild Id, all Guildmembers will use the "special" Id to gain acces to the depot id number 200, the reason for the npc is easy, this way the gm's don't need to include or excluded members manually, you simply say a special word or use a special item and you can include names into the database. so this person will have the special Id for the guild depot.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Just like potions, pretty soon all will learn the special word. I would think if it could be scripted at all, chests would be great even for temporary transfer of materials, say a 24 hour period however it seems this would be similar to other things and take too much computer effort to accomplish. It would be VERY nice if instead of laying something on the ground you could actually "hand" it to another char to appear in their belt/bag also. I would just like some things not to be able to rot......is this possible? Say you "lock down" an item in a house or guild, someone with access to that house or guild could "unlock it" and pick it up? This alone would facillitate/encourage the building/acquiring of houses and guilds.
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

How come stuff in personal depots don't disappear on a server crash, but a "public" depot can't be made?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Public depot information means it has to account for all chars and all items. Instead of one chars items. This means it has to search a database for all characters that can access it, and all items that have been placed in it. When a server crashes, it loses data, This is that data.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I like these ideas.

Currently, depot item data is attached to that character.

Npc's have this 'faction' thing, do played chars do?
If so, could the depots have a faction as well, and those meeting the faction be able to open it? Doing it this way, would instead put the depots contents to 'faction' info, which may not be wiped when that happens.

Unless, ofcourse, each char can only have one faction, in which case that could become a problem for those involved in a town and a guild, or more than one guild. Or I could be totally out there and at this point am not making -any- sense.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Here is an example of abuse:

Player A makes a guild and buys an awesome new communal depot. Player B uses it just fine and everyone loves him cause they know they can trust him. Play F joins the guild promising to be the greatest member ever and when their all either not online or somewhere else brings a mule and cleans them out.

As you can see from my demonstration, I don't like the idea.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

I actually think that could create drama and entertainment :)
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I think that will just provide more reason for people to put restraint on themselves, and think about their members. Flat out advertising wouldn't do much to help your cause if they are just in it for goodies. Adds a use of spies. Maybe put it in a locked room, for keys to be given to only certain people.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Sundo Raca wrote:I actually think that could create drama and entertainment :)
Not when some n00b does it with no rp.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Julius wrote:
Sundo Raca wrote:I actually think that could create drama and entertainment :)
Not when some n00b does it with no rp.
Then pwn him and take back the items? *shrug*

I wouldnt let someone who didnt rp into a guild anyway.
Julius

Post by Julius »

He could transfer the items by then. :?
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Well then you just have to be a bit smart to who you allow access to the place that the things are, eh?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I wonder what part of "it does not work" is that hard to understand that you keep arguing.
Now for everyone again: It does not work

The only items stored in the database are those that got stored in direct relation to one character ID. Each character has a inventory and a bag and 4294967296 depots. In case a character opens a depot container the server just checks the character ID and the depot ID and so the needed depot is selected. The depot is in that way different to the normal containers that its not really avaiable as container on the map. It just sends a list of items to your client and that makes it look like a container.

How ever the data of the depot is stored along with all character data at the characters logout. The problem is that the server is not able on its own to store the needed data now and then. And for a "public" depot the server does not even know that the depot is something technically different then a apple on the map until a character activates it.

So get rid of this public depot idea. The staff pretty well knows that this would be cool. But yet noone can say if this will be ever done.

Nitram
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Julius wrote:Here is an example of abuse:

Player A makes a guild and buys an awesome new communal depot. Player B uses it just fine and everyone loves him cause they know they can trust him. Play F joins the guild promising to be the greatest member ever and when their all either not online or somewhere else brings a mule and cleans them out.

As you can see from my demonstration, I don't like the idea.
I see that this whole demonstration only relates to roleplay situations that should be dealt with in-game. If you've got conned into trusting someone you shouldn't and loose things it's your loss and fault, not the system that would have made it possible.

And as to counter your "noobs will abuse this" argument:
You could aswell ask for abolishment of the fighting system because new players that select a fighter start package can easily kill established characters that do not have fighting skills whilst shouting "lololol".

Furthermore yes, I am well aware that this proposal was rejected due to
insufficient means to realize it, still I can't stand arguments for a cause that actually are none so I felt this statement had to be corrected.

While it's good to argue about how a proposal might influence the game and roleplay inside of it, it's imho bad to shoot a good proposal down with giving no more argument against it than picturing a roleplay scene which
seems more than acceptable and if properly executed even enjoyable,
just because it can "harm" someone's in-game achievements.

(Risking to loose things you can't decide upon like you could if you'd get rp-thieved sure is something we have to keep out of the game for all that's worth. What'd become of the game if thieves wouldn't be at our full mercy as to if their theft will suceed and what items they'll get... :wink: )
Julius

Post by Julius »

I love you, Faladron.
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

I invented how to make it but perpahs it would make another problem like with dirting server. Or it maybe not able too.

Idea is simple. Player (or players organization) which have a "base" could build in his/their region Magazine where can putting items without dissapearing proces. Normally dropen items disapearing so make "few new floors" without this code (no graph need)

Muckin space solution is simple only some items would lies there (player char chooses which ones and payes) and have a limit of quantity.

Besides lieing items are not assigned to none.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Karrock, that will not work.

Reason? In case of a server reload/crash all the items DISAPPEAR. Lost FOREVER. *evil laugh goes here*
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

Yes but that one is good to putting items like fishes, mugs, diners etc on tables

On topic:
Eventually make npc who will save items and givin them back by talk commands

deposit '100' 'iron'
he will say "Your password is 7657575 remember it"
give '100' 'iron'
"tell password"

One transaction will have it's own password. Password will work like MONEY.

NPC will carry all with him (make him mega capacity)
other would kill him to take items