Gems (The normal mining ones)

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Gems (The normal mining ones)

Post by Llama »

Could we make them more easy to find please?

I realise that gems are supposed to be ... well... rare, but gem cutting (at low levels) brutalises the gems, and you end up with far FAR less than you started with.

Also the gem cutting skill is incredibly hard to level up, so it never really balances itself out.

Thanks.

Discuss.
Youchimitchu

Post by Youchimitchu »

Leave it as it is i say Perhaps a miner shouldnt go gem cutting ? either way I say leave the skills for now as is it forces real gem crafters to buy gems frm others to practice cutting .
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

While I understand that gemcutting is arguably the hardest profession, I actually like the high value of gems.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Youchimitchu wrote:Leave it as it is i say Perhaps a miner shouldnt go gem cutting ? either way I say leave the skills for now as is it forces real gem crafters to buy gems frm others to practice cutting .
And it'll force real gem crafters to sell them to goldsmiths, which as we know are as common as anything - since gold is about as light as a feather [/sarcasm]
Youchimitchu

Post by Youchimitchu »

I personally think that gem crafters should become goldsmiths if they have the patience to do so
Olive

Post by Olive »

the biggest problem that i have with gem cutign as it is, is that it is VERY easy to collect cut gems, but very har dto collect UN CUT gems

case in point, olive has over 500 cutgems from treasure hunting, while my dwarf has mined barely 50 diamonds from months of coal mining.

this is fair ....how?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

It would be better, if everyone and their dogs stop to cut the gems, its seriously a problem for a char to actually sell gems, when everyone just cuts them on their own even while that skill is so incredibly hard to skill, so we need some bigger drains for gemstones while including more uncut and ~much~ less cut gems into the game, there should basicly no cut gem from monster drops nor should any smith be able to cut gems, atleast this way we got more "pure" or "hobby" gemcutter instead of minersmithgemcuttergoldsmiths, who basicly create everything they need for themself.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Olive wrote:the biggest problem that i have with gem cutign as it is, is that it is VERY easy to collect cut gems, but very har dto collect UN CUT gems

case in point, olive has over 500 cutgems from treasure hunting, while my dwarf has mined barely 50 diamonds from months of coal mining.

this is fair ....how?
Not all characters go treasure hunting all the time.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

As for treasure hunting, I'm sure that the treasure drops can be altered to a mix of cut and uncut gems in a matter of hours.
Friedwulfa

Post by Friedwulfa »

I am sure, there are enough good gemcutters at the island. you dont need the Gems that often, and i know one gemcutter, who works really cheap ;) *points at friedwulfa*
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I cut about 125 gems on my dwarf just last night. I got about 50 of them. I started with about 60 bluestones and ended with 19. I had around 20 uncut diamonds and got two. Now, my dwarf has cut around 1000 gems in total, perhaps more. This is frustrating at best..

On my human I get gems from maps, skeletons and golems. Where on my dwarf I find some in rocks if I'm lucky. It is clearly a tad unbalanced. I honestly think it takes away from the usefulness of a miner.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Solution:
Maps drop 90% uncut gems, 10% cut ones?
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

Mr. Cromwell wrote:As for treasure hunting, I'm sure that the treasure drops can be altered to a mix of cut and uncut gems in a matter of hours.

But why would anybody bother to hide something as worthless as an uncut gem?
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

An uncut gem is not worthless. Or is a gold nugget worthles to you?
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

It is the potential worth of an uncut gem which makes it worthwhile. Not only that, but an uncut gem can then be sold on to gem-cutters, which stimulates the IG economy, rather than gem-cutters having no market due to everyone getting cut-gems fresh from maps etc.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Question: how many fighters/mages that go on hunts, or even to the graveyard actually save uncut gems? Maybe just me, but the weight alone of carrying them along with usually not being able to get rid of them in my depot has in the past not been worth it... Has usually not picked uncut gems up but just left them
Llama

Post by Llama »

Jupiter wrote:An uncut gem is not worthless. Or is a gold nugget worthles to you?
If the chance to turn it into something useful is around 5%...
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Juliana D'cheyne wrote:Question: how many fighters/mages that go on hunts, or even to the graveyard actually save uncut gems? Maybe just me, but the weight alone of carrying them along with usually not being able to get rid of them in my depot has in the past not been worth it... Has usually not picked uncut gems up but just left them
If the weight of a gem is too much, you aren't (stat wise) a fighter. :wink: I usually let someone else take the gems, however.