Quest, Roleplay, Angst / Fear

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

LifeWonder wrote:
Julius wrote:It's rather funny how people could join a quest not for rp but for "pg and loot."
Here's a little thing to get you working Julius;

You can get as technical as you want on exactly what the word quest is, however Illarion IS a roleplay game, and a lot go to the quests simply to RP :wink: . Those that don't will avoid the hack/slash type quests however I can see some enjoying the variety of them. Most of the ones I have been on have been pure accident and very fun. The smaller ones on the whole were the most enjoyable however all the RP around the plague was one very large one I enjoyed tremendously.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Wow, Lifewonder's post just proved his stupidity. A quest for wealth cannot be rped? If you show up for a dated hack n' slash quest event and you did nothing at all during the rp part of the aforementioned quest, your char is not on a "quest across stormy seas for the buried treasure of the last pirates." Your char is simply there to ctrl a demon.
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

Thanks for calling me stupid Julius, I appreciate your maturity, I'm sure everyone else does too, especially since according to the post times, it took you a whooping 45 minutes of thinking to assume that, which, sincerely, I find quite stupid. :)

If you did read and think more than once about what I posted, you'd have realised I didn't mean that quests are meant to get a material reward in the end, but unlike what you said (trying to pretend you don't give two shits about IG wealth), some quests can have purpose to reward the participants with some sort of reward whatsoever. It doesn't make the quest bad or good, just different than another where the reward is to know you've solved a riddle or whatever.

Tell me, if you truly believe IG wealth is worth nothing and hinders roleplay, I dare you to ditch ALL your character's items and roleplay with nothing but clothes, then try to roleplay with nothing but clothes. Try roleplaying your coins, your weapons, your armor. We'll see who will play along. If it works, I'll disregard everything I say and bow in apology to you. But it won't, because we're playing Illarion, and Illarion is not a MU* (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUSH).
And to be honest? 85% of the money my character has, I've gained thanks to quests (the pig plague, the demons, etc.) and honestly again? I prefer that than going to powergame at monsters or craft for hours because I have school, work, and a family to care for.

Even when quests involve gaining a material reward in the end, it doesn't take out the roleplay aspect of it whatsoever. Most of the time I had no clue there would be a material gain in the end. I've never fought demons before and I wouldn't have known they dropped 5 silvers each before I attacked the first one. And once I attacked the first one, others were already coming to help defeat the others, my character wasn't going to just run away now that the others had come.

As for the pig plague quest, Chester paid Blake (when I was poor as hell, meaning, poor enough not to even be able to buy food for my character) to "sponsor" his discovery of the illness and establish good relations between Goldburg and Trolls Bane.

So yes, I do like quests that have a material reward in the end, because yes, material rewards do help my character prosper while roleplaying in the same in the contrary of going to hunt monsters and ctrl + click for a few hours. Regardless, I still participate in any quest, reward or not and do appreciate the recent influx of quests by the new GMs.

The only time I'll avoid participating in a quest is when I have no time or my character is already involved/busied with something or my character has nothing to do at that particular quest.
Last edited by LifeWonder on Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Thanks for writing me a essay, excuse me for not being in a reading mood. As for the time it took, it actually took me nearly 4 minutes to answer after I first saw your message and took the time to debate over even answering. I'm sorry if I don't sit on my ass infront of a screen all day. :)
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

Stop feeding the troll, both of you.
Kulden

Suggestion

Post by Kulden »

I have read all critisisms listed above, and although a am new to the game i have a feeling that creating more targets may solve many of the problems ive read about. more characters could partake in the quest without feeling left out, more characters would get loot, so on and so forth! like i said im an inexperienced player to the worl of Gobaith but i thught i might as well just throw this out. maybe have an npc you have to talk to before the quests starts just so all players will be rewarded something. maybe a town crier that has been given special orders from the leader of said town to recruit warriors to defend said town!
Dravish

Post by Dravish »

Mesha wrote:To Dantagon:

I actually did notice you during that quest, but I could not do anything. Sadly, the way magic is set up, I couldn't crap against 8 characters attacking my sweet little demon. Even with 9999999 HP I went down in 30 seconds. I could make one #me, perhaps 2, and I could not cast (since so many characters hitting you just disrupts casting, even with imba-attributeS).

"and shouting at them to stop attacking the demon. Dan was thinking of the consequences of attacking a demon immediately, where as I felt others were attacking either in mob mentality or going "Ooh! I bet there is sweet loot!" "

I personally feel that attacking a demon straightout is also rather reckless. But on the other hand, I couldn't just all kill them, because then you have people whining too!

Personally I wish that people would take things slower, #me a little, leave room for people to #me as well. For instance, at some point I threw Hanseus to the ground pretty roughly, Hanseus being smacked into a corner. No one went over to him because everyone was basically waiting for the big demon to die and grab his loot (or that is how I feel it went anyhow).

Oh well, nothing to do about it now.

Also, I do appreciate criticism, be it extremely negative, as long as I can do something with it. So anyone with criticism (constructive please), about the quest from saturday and about the quest on sunday, please, feel free to post some. I will even make a thread for you, where you can air your grievances.
Kill them all.
Thorwald

Post by Thorwald »

Als " Alter " Spieler was die Aufendhaltsdauer in Illarion angeht , muß ich sagen , ich hab schon den ersten Orkangriff und den zweiten und den dritten und ah gabs bereits einen vierten ? keine Ahnung miterlebt und jedesmal war es aus meiner Sicht eine Skillvernichtung ohne Ende .
Das beste Quest an dem ich mit Teilnehmen durfte , war und wird es auch immer bleiben das Quest das das Ende der Dürre bewirkt hat .
Aber auch dort wurde man als Teilnehmer bestraft . Warum sag ich gerne auf Ansprache per PN .
Seitdem hab ich immer einen rießen Bogen um alle Arten von Quest gemacht , egal wer sie gemacht hat oder zu welchem Zweck .

Und jetzt nach dem Angriff der Orks auf Silberbrand bin ich nochmals bestättigt worden , Quests so gut wie nur irgend möglich zu meiden , außer sie wurden vorher von einem richtig guten Anwalt ausgehandelt und alles wurde vorher 5 mal geprüft und ist schriftlich festgehalten worden .
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Es ist einfach nur traurig das manche Spieler den Skills einen derart hohen Wert zumessen und das wirft die Frage auf ob diese Spieler verstanden haben worum es in Illarion eigentlich gehen sollte.
Thorwald

Post by Thorwald »

Ich will hier nicht wirklich das Diskutieren anfangen , aber Nitram , wie spielt man einen guten Magier oder wie einen guten Krieger oder guten Druiden ohne die endsprechenden Skills glaubwürdig .
Jeder im Spiel lacht sich einen Ast wenn ich daherkomme und sag ich bin ein Krieger aus fernen Ländern und dann lauf ich vor einem Schwarm Mücken davon .
Was Illarion das Spiel ausmacht ist eine gute Mischung aus PG und RP :) , es sollte wirklich mal wieder jeder der an Illarion mitwirkt , gezwungen werden einen ganz einfachen normalen Char zu spielen und das glaubwürdig , einen Char der gewisse Skills braucht um das auch glaubwürdig rüberzubringen .
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Thorwald wrote:wie spielt man einen guten Magier oder wie einen guten Krieger oder guten Druiden
Man spielt einen Magier, einen Krieger oder einen Druiden. Das hat nichts mit Skills zu tun sondern sollte vor allem was mit RP zu tun haben. Man lernt über die Zeit ob nun mit PG oder ohne. Aber wenn man mal ein kleines bisschen schlechter wird weil man mal gewolkt wurde und 1% von irgendeinem Skill verliert, dann geht nicht die Welt unter. Dann kann man einfach weiter machen ohne groß rumzujammern.
Thorwald wrote:Jeder im Spiel lacht sich einen Ast wenn ich daherkomme und sag ich bin ein Krieger aus fernen Ländern und dann lauf ich vor einem Schwarm Mücken davon.
Dann behaupte nicht das du ein guter Krieger bist solange du es ganz einfach nicht bist. Natürlich braucht man dazu Skills aber die wachsen mit der Zeit wenn man sich das das Kriegerorientierte RP hält. Aber auch da ist es ganz einfach egal wenn man mal einen Skillpunkt verliert. Das wird dein RP nicht behindern.
Thorwald wrote:Was Illarion das Spiel ausmacht ist eine gute Mischung aus PG und RP :)
Vor allem kooperativem Rollenspiel MIT anderen und nicht dem Willen um jeden Preis immer zu gewinnen. Das kann man in Einzelspieler spielen machen.
Thorwald wrote:es sollte wirklich mal wieder jeder der an Illarion mitwirkt , gezwungen werden einen ganz einfachen normalen Char zu spielen
Und damit sollten wir die eh schon begrenzte Zeit die wir haben noch damit verschwenden irgendeinen dummen Char zu spielen den wir gar nicht spielen wollen. Hast du schonmal mit jemanden gespielt der spielen muss und nicht spielen will? Das ist überhaupt kein Spaß.
Thorwald wrote:und das glaubwürdig , einen Char der gewisse Skills braucht um das auch glaubwürdig rüberzubringen .
Sicherlich aber die braucht man nicht vom ersten Tag an und solange mein Char die Skills nicht hat behaupte ich einfach nicht das er super toll ist. Und wenn er die Skills hat dann kann ich ja auch behaupten das der Char gut ist. Und wenn ich dann mal gewolkt werde verliere ich nicht 80% der Skills sondern 1%. Und das ändert an der Tatsache das mein Char gut ist mal genau nix.

Nitram
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

#me spielt gerade einen brandneuen Charakter und ist doch recht überrascht gewesen, wie der Charakter innerhalb weniger Stunden 30% des Maximalskills erreichen konnte...

Nur so am Rande, man kann auch einen normalen Krieger/Druiden/Magier/Bäcker spielen. Einen Charakter mit Stärken und Schwächen eben.
Garou

Post by Garou »

Indeed!

Alle meine Chars sind mit der Zeit gewachsen im Spiel. Wir spielen normale Chars, die durch etwas Mühe und Zeit eben auch etwas Einfluss nehmen. Wir sind mehr unter den Spielern, als ihr alle glaubt und merkt. Wir spielen nur gepushte Chars, wenn es für ein Quest nötig ist.

Darüber hinaus finde ich es schade, dass dieses Kriegsquestdenken vorliegt. Wir haben die unterschiedlichsten Quests, viele, bei denen noch nicht mal eine Waffe in die Hand genommen wird. Wenn ich bei einem Stadtangriff MITTEN in Dämonen oder aber Drachen renne, darf ich mich nicht wundern, wenn ich dabei drauf gehe.

Illa besteht nur aus Helden, manchmal müssen auch Helden etwas einstecken. Denkt vielleicht auch mal nach, ehe ihr alle gegen einen Dämonen rast und ihn niederslashen wollt ;)

Wir sind nicht gegen euch, wir sind für euch! Alle Quests dienen der Unterhaltung und es geht manchmal auch etwas schief, aber daraus lernen wir und versuchen es das nächste Mal etwas besser zu machen.

Was Silberbrand angeht, nun, das ist ein völlig anders Thema und gehört hier nicht her.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

i didnt read every single post but, Roleplaying angst fear is sortsa hard when you have split seconds to make a decision before some creature makes it of with your intestines. AND if chars were to role play fear and angst every time "the shit hit the fan" there would be no "brave" chars to stand their ground and save the day...but yes many people tends to go all braveheart when situations gets "scary" i for one only have two chars that can RP "fear". and then two more whom uses common sense and thinks before they do anything in a certain situation.

but thats just my opinion>_<
Magdha Tiefenerz

Post by Magdha Tiefenerz »

Ohne Skills mit reinem Rollenspiel auszukommen wäre der Idealzustand. Nur leider leider sieht die Realität im Spiel anders aus. Was ich da schon an Powergaming gesehen habe und noch immer zu bestimmten Zeiten beobachten kann... Aber viel schlimmer als das sichtbare Powergaming, was vorallem das Handwerk betrifft, finde ich das unsichtbare Powergaming, was hauptsächlich das Kämpfen betrifft.
Wie ich schon in einem anderen Thread geschrieben habe, kommt es bei einem Kampf früher oder später zum Ctrl-Click. Dann zählt nicht mehr das Rollenspiel sondern rein nur der Skill, und da hat man als rollenspielender Krieger immer das Nachsehen. Und die Zwergenspieler können da ein Lied davon singen, was ihnen da bisher schon alles entgegengetreten ist. Natürlich wäre da mehr Rollenspiel wünschenswert, aber die Realität sieht nunmal anders aus.
Last edited by Magdha Tiefenerz on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lily Crystal

Post by Lily Crystal »

I don't have a problem roleplaying fear. As a little hobbit, Lily trembles and quivers whenever any of the "big folks" start going at each other. She knows her physical limits of not being as big or as strong, and she can't help but cover her eyes when disaster strikes. I fancy being fearful gives a chance for those who want to play hero a chance to save the day. *laughs*
Thanseus Valerian
Location: Nichts ist drinnen, nichts ist draußen, was drinnen ist ist draußen, was draußen ist ist drinnen.

Post by Thanseus Valerian »

Naja ich steh so Quests zusammen mit Leuten die nicht zur eigenen Gemeinde gehören eh immer etwas Kritisch gegenüber weil die oft schief laufen.
Wenn sich das Quest ausschließlich in der Gemeinde in der mein Char spielt stattfindet, dann ist eben das Risiko eines Fehlschlags meistens geringer und somt besteht auch kaum Frustrationsgefahr ;-)
Sowas wie Angst hat mein Charakter auch(zB würde mein Char sofort das weite suchen wenn er von nem Dämon angebrüllt wird) Wie das bei anderen Spielern ist weiß ich nicht weil ich ja wiegesagt mich keinen Quests von auserhalb anschließe.
BTW: Wenn der Skill nicht mehr zählt könnte man doch gleich ein Pen&Paper spieln.
Fianna Heneghan

Post by Fianna Heneghan »

Lily Crystal wrote:I don't have a problem roleplaying fear. As a little hobbit, Lily trembles and quivers whenever any of the "big folks" start going at each other. She knows her physical limits of not being as big or as strong, and she can't help but cover her eyes when disaster strikes. I fancy being fearful gives a chance for those who want to play hero a chance to save the day. *laughs*
I watched this little character do this during a GM challenge. To be honest, this was the only enjoyable RP that I saw during this time. I try to play my characters with flaws and RP their individual reactions to the circumstances they encounter.

A roomful of cavalier characters flaunting their fearlessness is both unrealistic in the game world and unfun in my reality as the player behind the screen. I'd rather go off alone and shove random herbs into empty bottles in the elusive search for another swirlie than watch the same old RP from the same old character types.

And I did.