Include Coup de Grâce into the magic system

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Pellandria

Include Coup de Grâce into the magic system

Post by Pellandria »

Its quite easy, is it possible to include the Coup de grace into the magic system, so the last spell that would kill someone just "pushes" the person back aswell.

I kinda dislike that fact that magic kills instantly, maybe its allright with flames, but projectiles should include such a system.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Endorsed.
Daelyn

Post by Daelyn »

Yes please!

Also, reduce the distance knocked back to one square, as to lower the chance of knocking your victim through a wall for example.

Alternatively you could use the same script which sends a teleporting char back to the starting point if he teleports to an impassable square? If a char was quickly teleported away from person who "killed" him, and then back, the attacking fighter would loose target, and would have to click again in order to kill his victim? I hope this is understandable lol...

Possible?
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Sounds good to me. I see no reason why we shouldnt have this, unless its somehow impossible to script or something.
pharse

Post by pharse »

not my opinion, just being objective:

Coup de Grace was introduced to make duelling more convenient and reduce unintentional clouding. Do mages really duel that often? And shouldn't they be able to know when to stop casting offensive spells?

--

The mage scripts use the same base script (at least before the recent update, but I think that didn't change), so implementation should be possible.

About the re-warping: one can't check if the warp was really successful or if there is an unpassable item on the target field. Does that really happen that often? I think 2 squares was introduced to max out safety.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

I think it's more for rp purposes, Pharse. I hate ghosting someone and dragging them to a cross. Getting the rp done there is a lot funnier for both parties and means less ghosting. Which also equals more fun.
Maeglin Telemmaite

Post by Maeglin Telemmaite »

Pharse gets a cookie but the cookie ate Pharse for not agreeing
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

pharse wrote:not my opinion, just being objective:

Coup de Grace was introduced to make duelling more convenient and reduce unintentional clouding. Do mages really duel that often? And shouldn't they be able to know when to stop casting offensive spells?

--

The mage scripts use the same base script (at least before the recent update, but I think that didn't change), so implementation should be possible.

About the re-warping: one can't check if the warp was really successful or if there is an unpassable item on the target field. Does that really happen that often? I think 2 squares was introduced to max out safety.
Well, from a personal point of view, I full agree with Pelly.

I don't like clouding people and ever since I've been playing Illa, I've only clouded TWO persons and it was on pure accident.

When casting numerous spells repeatedly, there's lag, and you can't know what their health is, so no, you don't know when to stop. If that coup de grace thing was implemented, we'd be able to neutralize people without killing them.

For now, it's impossible for mages. We have to kill them or entangle them (which btw doesn't seem to be working) or trap them in walls; pretty lame.

So yeah, coup de grace for mages ftw.
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

I agree the coup de grace would be a good step to prevent clouding... I was hoping the new descrip would show health but apparently sometimes it does and sometimes it seems to show nothing.
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Kaila Galathil Travinus wrote:I was hoping the new descrip would show health but apparently sometimes it does and sometimes it seems to show nothing.
Yeah.. It did in the beginning.. or something.. I think when someone has a robe it doesn't show.. or if you have shit perception you can't see it..
Olive

Post by Olive »

it has to do with your perception and how close you are
Sssari

Post by Sssari »

Sighed all the way.

I Agree Wholeheartedly
Youchimitchu

Post by Youchimitchu »

I agree to this I hate breaking rp to make sure I havent nearly killed the person im strikeing magic with.
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Sssari wrote:Sighed all the way.

I Agree Wholeheartedly

Sssari... The verb is: To sign and not to sigh.

To sign: Mark with one's signature; write one's name (on)

To sigh: Heave or utter a sigh; breathe deeply and heavily
Llama

Post by Llama »

LifeWonder wrote:
Sssari wrote:Sighed all the way.

I Agree Wholeheartedly

Sssari... The verb is: To sign and not to sigh.

To sign: Mark with one's signature; write one's name (on)

To sigh: Heave or utter a sigh; breathe deeply and heavily
He's a lizard, they have troubling pronoucing the h anyway
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Instead of opening a new topic for this, I thought I'd tack it onto the end of this one.

Now that the Magic system has been updated, and Magic Resistance actually works like it should.

Can you PLEASE PLEASE make it possible to gain magic resistance from monster spells. They hurt like hell and we have absolutely no defence against them apart from PGing Magic Res with another player.

I'd much rather see a natural progression with the spellcasting ghoulies.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

A coup de grace system in magic would be excellent, as far as Pharse said "It is in place to prevent accidental cloudings in duels" I beleive this is incorrect, It should be in place to increase roleplay overall in battles.

When i play Seregon in a big fight, too many times have i casted a simple small spell to make the person back away and initiate rp, but instead it clouds them.
Olive

Post by Olive »

I woud like to piggy back on this as well about magic resistance.

could it be made so certain magics cannot be resistance. in particular healing and curing magic.

it would be excessively irritating for somebody to slowly become immune to being able to be healed over the course of their life in game, perhaps instead of completely blockign magically affects magic resistance could be made so it allows you to 'resist' half or three quarters ro something but never fully block a magic attack.

I mean seriously. you get fried by a lightning bolt but somehow because you are 'resistant' despite wearing heavy METAL armors, are unaffected by the massive electrical discharge, that is... unbelieveable at best
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Olive wrote:I woud like to piggy back on this as well about magic resistance.

could it be made so certain magics cannot be resistance. in particular healing and curing magic.

it would be excessively irritating for somebody to slowly become immune to being able to be healed over the course of their life in game, perhaps instead of completely blockign magically affects magic resistance could be made so it allows you to 'resist' half or three quarters ro something but never fully block a magic attack.

I mean seriously. you get fried by a lightning bolt but somehow because you are 'resistant' despite wearing heavy METAL armors, are unaffected by the massive electrical discharge, that is... unbelieveable at best
Its a fantasy game.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Do not fear Olive, Warriors will never be able to resist anything well unless they have 100% magic resistance, their Willpower is just too low for any effect to happen. I sometimes laugh when I see warriors training their magic resistance.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

I used to train mine on YR's but.. since the new mage system sucks at healing I can't anymore. :?

Anyhow, I think that Olive's idea is rather deflated. A mage without magical resistance is silly. Just don't get lazy with your pging and bring your cursor over a tile instead of clicking the runes a thousand times. :wink:
Llama

Post by Llama »

I had an idea for mage with magic resistance, but there needs to be an on/off siwtch of sorts (-_-)

Basically you can resist a spell, by paying a cost in mana to neutralise it.

How much you pay in mana depends on how high your resistance skill is, and how high your commotio skill is.

If you can cast the spell sent back at you, you 'automatically' cast it, multiplied by a factor depending on the resistance.. and BAM, spell neutralised.

If your resistance is high, you pay less mana, up to the point where you can turn the spell back at the opponent.

Would need some sort of balance.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Make a new proposial if you want something that complicated, for now let's nag for the Coup de grace being activated for magic.