Experts in everything?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Hawkmoon

Experts in everything?

Post by Hawkmoon »

I have noticed there are some chars who are pretty much experts in everything in Illarion. I don't think this is that fun really since that force all other people to focus on other things as well since there are so many people doing the same.

Mu suggestion to solve this is what comes next in this thread and since I am quite new some of these might already be implemented or suggested but I still come with the ideas here...

* Make evey char to make a choice what kind of main profession it will have. This should mean that a warrior will choose the fighting skills, a crafter the crafting skills and so on... Then the rest of the skills should be penalised and making the char worse in the other things. Also add a decrease in all other skills every day or so. Until chosen the profession all skills will decrease. And if one wants to change proffession one day then it means help from a GM and a good reason.

* Maybe the GM's should start asking around those who are experts in everything and ask what the RPG reason behind it is. If no good explanation then maybe lower the skills a bit?

* Maybe add some kind of speciality for all who have a profession with the skills? Like the ability to make special items if one is good enough as crafter and also have it as chosen profession. Or maybe a special move for a warrior? Maybe the ability to do bard magic with the music when that is introduced? Yeah, you get the point I guess...

*Might be more points here, but I have this point open for more suggestions for now. I really think this is a problem right now.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Well.. people in RL have thousands of professions that they master. If time permits, it's possible.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

You suggest a conventional class system. Illarion is a class free game. You can become anything you like without restrictions. Only magic classes are restricted due to technical limits. If you want, you can try to motivate a drastic change in Illarion's core principles that has been around for 8 years by now with very good arguments.

I must say I am glad Illarion is special where it can be special and conventional where it has to be conventional. Making it conventional where it can be special and special where it has to be conventional doesn't sound too good, you know. So, what would be the big benefit of a class system? You already mentioned "not everyone would do the same". I say: This is a reason for me to stick to Illarion for years now. I can play a character that is not bond to e.g. being a fighter. I love the option to chose crafts and produce simple goods myself without having to wait for the only dyer of the island logging in.

With that being said, maybe you have an idea how to encourage people to specialize their characters a bit more? I mean, currently, one can either reach level 50 in 5 skills or level 100 in one skill. Who has the most benefit? How could one change this?
Last edited by Estralis Seborian on Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

Estralis Seborian wrote:You suggest a conventional class system. Illarion is a class free game. You can become anything you like without restrictions. Only magic classes are restricted due to technical limits. If you want, you can try to motivate a drastic change in Illarion's core principles that has been around for 8 years by now with very good arguments.

I must say I am glad Illarion is special where it can be special and conventional where it has to be conventional. Making it conventional where it can be special and special where it has to be conventional doesn't sound too good, you know. So, what would be the big benefit of a class system? You already mentioned "not everyone would do the same". I say: This is a reason for me to stick to Illarion for years now. I can play a character that is bond to e.g. being a fighter. I love the option to chose crafts and produce simple goods myself without having to wait for the only dyer of the island logging in.

With that being said, maybe you have an idea how to encourage people to specialize their characters a bit more? I mean, currently, one can either reach level 50 in 5 skills or level 100 in one skill. Who has the most benefit? How could one change this?
Well.. My point is not that we all need to do one thing only. My point is that we all should no be able to be experts in everything. If you want to be farmer for a while - just do it - but you will not be as succesful as a true farmer. If you want to do your own arrows - do so but don't expect to make them as fast as a true carpenter. If you wanna be an adventurer for a while and fight monsters instead of making helmets so be it, but don't expect to take on the toughest ones.

Sure, you can call it class system but a class system light I would say in that case. See my point?
Daelyn

Post by Daelyn »

Fact remains that warrior/smiths makes it almost impossible to be a smith these days. From the perspective of a pure crafter char: Hawk's got the right idea...
Alber G

Post by Alber G »

Daelyn wrote:Fact remains that warrior/smiths makes it almost impossible to be a smith these days. From the perspective of a pure crafter char: Hawk's got the right idea...
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Daelyn wrote:Fact remains that warrior/smiths makes it almost impossible to be a smith these days. From the perspective of a pure crafter char: Hawk's got the right idea...
I don't see how. There are smiths ig that are accomplished and have little to no fighting skllz.
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

One view to have on this is that unless you don't choose any profession you will be able to do things witout penalities. The skills not used will decrease though and you will not be able to get the specialities for the different skills.

When you choose a professiont that signals that you go in to that full hearted and that makes you not to get any decreasing in the skills and you will also be able to excel in that area of profession. Sounds pretty logical to me I say.
Olive

Post by Olive »

I think this could be solved somewhat by not having Dexterity be the only important stat for crafting and instead having each craft with minor adjustments to base them off 2 stats, so its impossible to make the 'perfect' crafting char, and at best you could have a 'really good' crafter but still have a few places where you simply cannot perfect anything adn everything
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

Olive wrote:I think this could be solved somewhat by not having Dexterity be the only important stat for crafting and instead having each craft with minor adjustments to base them off 2 stats, so its impossible to make the 'perfect' crafting char, and at best you could have a 'really good' crafter but still have a few places where you simply cannot perfect anything adn everything
That would be nice to add on the suggestion come up with. Make the crafters concentrate in one craft and so on...
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Estralis Seborian wrote: With that being said, maybe you have an idea how to encourage people to specialize their characters a bit more? I mean, currently, one can either reach level 50 in 5 skills or level 100 in one skill. Who has the most benefit? How could one change this?
So you are saying you cannot get a 100 in 5 skills? Because I think that is the problem. The person with 100 in one crafting skill is being outmatched by people levelling 5 crafts to a 100. Or other skills.

Myself, I like an UO like system. A set amount of skillpoints to earn. Once you gain a skillpoint in something, you lose in another. Make it a large skillpointpool ofcourse, so you still have the flexibility which Illarion stands for, while keeping jack-of-all-trades who happen to be experts in all those trades to a minimum (meaning, no such people).
Llama

Post by Llama »

Alber G wrote:
A warrior/smith won't be able to make the best armors. Unless his name is Salathe that is.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Right. I'm with Mesha. You don't need a class system to limit things. However, speaking of which, we do have a class system at Illarion. It's just jury-rigged on the end of a classless system. That is: you can't be a mage and also a druid/bard/priest.

Classes are good for fantasy games because they protect certain roles. We have difficulty imagining a knight who also has the time to learn all the formulae of magic.

Somewhere along the line I would like to see that rectified, where we have one whole system rather than part of one system (a free system) and another (class system) and just get one system of any type that's complete and fun to play, but that might be far flung future talk. =)
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

Estralis Seborian wrote:
I mean, currently, one can either reach level 50 in 5 skills or level 100 in one skill. Who has the most benefit? How could one change this?
This is already in effect?
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Taliss Kazzxs wrote:
Estralis Seborian wrote:
I mean, currently, one can either reach level 50 in 5 skills or level 100 in one skill. Who has the most benefit? How could one change this?
I am curious also.

But I really don't understand the problem.....what is wrong with a char wanting to do different things? Most of mine are fairly specialized except Achae, however I have known other chars proficient in a multitude of things fighting and crafting and was VERY glad they were when I was looking for something in particular. I personally wouldn't want to do it all, but a char that has been around for a long time.. IMO if the PO wants to go in another direction should be able to without justifying a decision to a gm etc.
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

Achae Eanstray wrote:
Taliss Kazzxs wrote:
Estralis Seborian wrote:
I am curious also.

But I really don't understand the problem.....what is wrong with a char wanting to do different things? Most of mine are fairly specialized except Achae, however I have known other chars proficient in a multitude of things fighting and crafting and was VERY glad they were when I was looking for something in particular. I personally wouldn't want to do it all, but a char that has been around for a long time.. IMO if the PO wants to go in another direction should be able to without justifying a decision to a gm etc.
Well problem is that for example crafters don't get to sell anything - the old chars are way better and can also get money and resources by mining and fighting...

With my idea a char who change profession direction from fighter to crafter for example will become a worse fighter - but will be able to be good still if he continue his fighting career beside the crafting career. He will not be able to be a top warrior any longer though (because of some negative bonuses). I mean be best in the world in pretty much everything - is that the way we want it to work? Should it not be enough that those who want to do other stuff can do well, but not extremily well?
Llama

Post by Llama »

The main problem is that at higher levels, gaining skill is as painful as putting your hand in a blender.

And when you've built your 15th suit of armor, you feel like doing something else.
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

Oh, would be interesting to know how those who are experts in many areas can explain that RP wise? I mean... Everyone plays this game because of the RP after all and is it really that logical to be able to do everything? Should a crafter not be able to survive on that? Must he be a fighter as well? And a dedicated knight - must he be an extremely good crafter as well? Does he have that that time really`What about the duties?
And can a char in a high position in the society also have time to be knight and a dedicated paladin at the same time?

Just asking. Many are complaing on the chars PG their swordskills and so on even when it fits the role. If a crafter get out and fight to get entrails or something though, then noone think it is strange. I would like to know how people think about all this since I think it is kinda strange here and there.
Estralis Seborian

Taliss Kazzxs wrote:
Estralis Seborian wrote:
To avoid misunderstandings: I mean, you can gain the same amount of skill (1x100 or 5x50) in the same time. There is no skill cap.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Hawkmoon wrote:Just asking. Many are complaing on the chars PG their swordskills and so on even when it fits the role. If a crafter get out and fight to get entrails or something though, then noone think it is strange. I would like to know how people think about all this since I think it is kinda strange here and there.
I think the main problem is a backlash from the 'uniting crafters'

Crafting items now needs a number of different things, for example shields need dye to make. But buying lots of dye (or waiting for a crafter who can make dye each time) is irritating. So you do a bit of tailoring, and learn to make dye.

Then you discover that you need a ton of leather to make armor. So instead of buying it for 3 coppers each, you take up your weapon and go killing your own.

And before you know it...
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Hawkmoon wrote:Just asking. Many are complaing on the chars PG their swordskills and so on even when it fits the role. If a crafter get out and fight to get entrails or something though, then noone think it is strange. I would like to know how people think about all this since I think it is kinda strange here and there.
I think the main problem is a backlash from the 'uniting crafters'

Crafting items now needs a number of different things, for example shields need dye to make. But buying lots of dye (or waiting for a crafter who can make dye each time) is irritating. So you do a bit of tailoring, and learn to make dye.

Then you discover that you need a ton of leather to make armor. So instead of buying it for 3 coppers each, you take up your weapon and go killing your own.

And before you know it...
Yes indeed is that a problem. But an even bigger problem is all those warriors who also starts to make weapons and armours just because they need it. And I can tell I am bit guilty there myself since I have learnt to do arrows myself, but I at least have a RP reason there which I can share for those who wants over private messages.

My point is that a crafter should have learned that since childhood pretty much and nothing a warrior can learn in a year while fighting at the same time...
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Well problem is that for example crafters don't get to sell anything - the old chars are way better and can also get money and resources by mining and fighting...
As far as I know only two crafts can earn any copper right now anyway.... cooking and smithing so is a little of a mote point at present. However, my char still does herb gathering and tailoring and has for ages not getting rich but doing fine.
I mean be best in the world in pretty much everything - is that the way we want it to work?
Like I said, I have no problem with a char trying out everything the game has to offer and even being good at it. RP wise, some would enjoy more home and family life and others more "workaholics" :wink:

If a player wants his char to do all these things what is the problem? I personally would never want to try it, but have no problem with others being excellent in everything. If you take away some of that from a player, you may be taking away the interest an older player has in the game. I would very much like to see the older players stay and even see more come back.

My point is that a crafter should have learned that since childhood pretty much and nothing a warrior can learn in a year while fighting at the same time...
Hmmm.. but you are impinging your RP reasons on another who may have a clear set of RP reasons on their own. Be that as it may however, most of us can find an RP reason for things we do in the game career-wise. Bottom line however is.. should we have skill cap and classes (not counting the tech difficulty of some). I hope not on either.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

The problem here, is this. Crafters, need to make money.

How do they do that? They do not go stab things, that drop coin. They -sell- things.
Selling things draws in money for the crafters! But, here you have Mr. Warrior, who doesn't buy anything. He makes everything on his own. That makes his prices insanely low. These low prices, drive everyone to him. That means less sales for the non-warrior. The warrior then, goes off and trains using his shiny new shield, and comes back with a few more silvers from fighting, maybe a gold if he went on a map to fight. The warrior crafter has -no- expense, if he becomes skilled enough. What little expense he may have, is covered fairly easily by his craft.

Thus, the opposite happens to the crafters. Lets say a crafter is making his goods. He goes around, gets his things, prepares. He has confines in which he can work, and he has to be worried about being attack and so on. Slowly, he gets better. He can sell more things. Sure, he sells some things, but when the warrior is there, people will buy from the warrior. None of the crafters can stand up to the warrior, because he is rediculously strong.

Now, many have been looking for a 'fix' to the current economy. Here is what goes on, as I see it. If you aren't interested, don't read further.. it does get a bit scary, and I did not include food. I remember reading that it was to change, so I left it out.

Mages* have a very high 'cost' to them. They usually don't bother with crafting. They usually buy things. Usually, they are rare things that are difficult to make. Some from crafters, or from npcs. However they choose, they have a good money lose at some point. Icebirds, wands, so on so forth. They also need good food, so they either buy it or make it themselves. Most people can cook, thats not much of an issue, the more advanced cooking skills, eh, a cook should do that. If I can manage to make brownies, then I am pretty sure most people could cook a meal.

*By mages, I am including battle mages - warlocks, and so forth. They are a hybrid that is truely odd in the economy of the game, but they fit here. They have to pay for not only weapons, but for their icebirds. Their cost is greater.

Warriors. Warriors are great fun. Their income is like most jobs in most countries today. How well you perform, directly relates to how much you get paid. You work hard, you get paid well. You slack off and don't work, you don't get as much reward. They have interesting things to pick up from monsters, such as entrails that some would buy, and fur that others would, and magical things, and all sorts of oddities that crafters or people may be interested in. If all else fails some of the stuff sits in their depot, or is sent to an npc. The rest can be used, or in some cases, it is tossed away.

Crafters. The mighty working force of the island! Lumberjacks, miners, gatherers of all kinds, people who fill in the gaps, people who -are- the gaps, and all sorts in between, from the mason to the goldsmith, each a crafter in his own right. And even the 'jack of all trades', that guy who does all sorts of crafting. In the 'ideal' world, we have them trading not only with the warriors, and the mages, but each other! Unfotunately, not even Illa is the ideal world. Not many wish to wait for weeks, sometimes months on end for their items. So they get it themselves. Fine, okay, we have the warriors to sell to when they need good things, and if our skills are good enough, the mages when they break or drop their things. Crafters need tools, but most* after a certain point never need to buy tools again. Maybe a spare if they are feeling uncertain. They do, have expenses in other ways though. They spend alot of their time traveling around, gathering their things, talking to people, finding the -best- bargain. Its how they operate. And they also sell to npc's. Personally, the first few sales my character did were to npc's, because not many will buy the low level items quickly when they can produce them. Sure, there are a few who will, but not many.

*This does not include certain gatherer's, such as those who gather herbs. We will talk more about that though, in the druids.

Druids. These are a mainly rp'ed class, but Surely this will change sometime. This class, in theory, should have not very many expenses currently. Lets even go to the point of including farmers -with- the druids. They gather their wares, and some may sell them, others not and give them away. Depends on their ideals. Their common most tools were a mortar and a sickle. Recently the mortar has been changed for just dyes it appears, but the sickle remains the same in gathering herbs. The difference here though, is that the sickles seem to break what seems to be rather fast. This issue causes their expenses to increase -greatly-, while their output, (due to the lack of a real system) to never grow beyond a few silver.

Bards. Those who are musically talented, but they too have no system aside from a #me. They do have tools, but instead of a hammer or a sword or a sickle, they use instruments. I am not entirely sure, but judging from what I have seen, their instruments do not break very quickly. They have some expense, the same as everyone else on food, but they do -not- have quite the need to replace their tool as often. But, so they do not have the need to replace their tool, their tool does not quite bring in as much as one would hope. Bards are sometimes seen as a bother at times and may not get paid for their performances, and may be asked to stop. Everyone has a bad show, right? That said, a bard usually is also a different job as well. Since being a bard hardly pays for itself, it is not much of an issue.

Priests. Priests have the least expenses of all, and the least payment usually. They say some good words, a few coins are tossed to them. They are usually humble, polite, and in many cases, defenseless by themselves. A system is in the works, but currently their only expense is maybe a staff if they need help walking, cloths which will last a long time because they usually do not fight, and food. Priests do not usually* need a second job, as they are much to busy doing priestly things. Funerals, laying the dead to rest, searching for knowledge, tending others, such is the priests 'work'. No tool needed.

*Irmorom is different if they are a priest of that, seeing as it is the God of Crafting, one ought to be able to craft.

That covers the -basic- 'classes' that people have set in their mind, in the ideal world.

Here are the messy ones:
Warrior - crafter
Druid - Warrior
Priest - crafter.

Warrior Crafters are messy in a way. Their expenses are minimal. Their prices can be as cheap as they wish due to this. They themselves rarely buy anything for anyone else, aside from maybe food. Usually, a warrior crafter who is not very skilled in crafting is no threat. Those who -are- especially skilled in crafting though are. They give their friends very difficult to make things for -very- abnormally low prices. It hurts the crafters when this happens, because then not only are they losing customers, they are loosing chances to work, which means the time they spent gathering was wasted. More so, the warrior - crafter gathers large amounts of money, and becomes even more frivilous with his charges for money because of the fact that, 'I have 10 gold. Here, take this shield of the sky for free.' When instances like this happen, it damages most of the crafters. The expensive items given out for low prices, or very commonly, drive all the other prices down very -very- far. The warrior crafter also gets money from killing his enemies, and is generally safe from any sort of attack. He is Fort Knox, and his money is entirely safe. This sort of thing disrupts the economy -greatly-. It drives the worth of the copper very.. very.. far down. Luckily, inflation is truely not IG, but more in the players head. No NPC's know of inflation yet, except maybe Eliza. But that wasn't intentional inflation I believe.

The druid - warrior. A lovely combo in two seperate people. But in one, it becomes a power house of non-expense. Those who are not held by morals of not attacking creatures, and thus attack freely and can then tend to their wounds, will not pay for another to do so. Why should they? They often can also prepare their own meals. No apples for this one, he has a filling rabbit for nearly every meal. This is usually nipped in the bud by other druids.

I would like to say some things about the priest-crafter, simply because it does not make sense. But, I choose not to do so here.

If the economy is to work, then something must be changed in the 'messy' area, rather than the 'clean' area. More so, the crafters need to be lumped together in this. They work as a group well together, even if they can make everything themselves, they usually get lazy. The warrior -crafter does not. He can go from "Okay.. I broke my armor. Lets head into town." To "I fixed my armor. That was fun. Lets go use it!" Its a refreshing cycle, so they can go enjoy both worlds... and here I was thinking thats what quests and the whole idea of rp and not a pure skilled based game was for.

Please pardon any spelling errors. *Places on his blindfold* Fire away!
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

Holy shit Vern.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

I think one of the solutions would be to create "opposing skillgroups" and add a malus (or bonus!) to the skills of the other group once the player progresses far enough in the other. The easiest way to do this would be to divide the skills into "production" and "damage", or crafting and fightymagiks in other words. Don't get me wrong, I think that the freedom is one of the best aspects in the game, and due to the low amount of characters online even a very vital one: However, this does NOT mean that everyone has to be equal all the time. Specializing characters SHOULD be better in their respective niche than the dusty bottoms' of Illarion. Just my opinion, though.

Anyway, forwards with the suggestion.

The System:
A1.) They effect comes into play after a certain amount of skill in either category is reached (Say, 25%)
A2.) The category with the highest skill is considered the "main group", with the "secondary group" receiving the maluses.
A3.) The effect is rather heavy (between -25% to -50%, imo) and either comes in immediately (SLAM! -25%/-50%) or as you progress with the main group skills (100% in a fighting skill, -50% crafting -> 50% in a fighting skill, -25% crafting) <- I prefer the second one, with corresponding percentages even.
A4.) The players are kept informed of this (maybe through the character profile of the account "your character is fighter/mage/archer/craftsman/druid" whatever lamer)
A5.) Priests are excluded from the system ('cause it makes sense for a great priest of Irmorom to be a great smith, or Priest of Malachin to fight, and so on).

So, for dummies:
Warriors and Mages (damage dealers) = -X% in all crafting skills.
Crafters and Druids (production side) = -X% in all fighting and magic skills.

Notes: I'd exclude "primary sector" from the malus side, as an abudance of raw materials is IMO a good thing for the crafters.

This would:
B1.) Retain the freedom we all love (so you can still do everything, you will just suck enormously with some stuff eventually)
B2.) ..while favouring those with specialized characters.

To minimize the grief the system would IMO additionally require that:
C1.) Players are given the possibility to delete skills from their characters to adjust to the changed situation.

I know I usually favour "bonus" solutions, but the thought of Matt & Co receiving further boost for their characters scares me. ;)
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

It sounds like the solution isn't so much of an engine change but more of a change to many players mind sets. Many seem to forget that the goals and agendas of their chars, are not their own. Sometimes its better not to go with the fastest answer but with the one more suited for your character.

show some limits
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

Mages* have a very high 'cost' to them. They usually don't bother with crafting. They usually buy things
Mages CAN'T craft above a certain level skill wise. Warlocks may be able to go higher but never raise more then a certain level with mage skills.
Mages have a lot of expensive things to attempt to get in order to be mages.
Most people can cook, thats not much of an issue, the more advanced cooking skills, eh, a cook should do that. If I can manage to make brownies, then I am pretty sure most people could cook a meal
None of my chars can cook above sausages except Achae and she can only cook cabbage soup. IMO if a char wants to be ig long enough to learn to cook that doesn't bother me, RPwise I would prefer my figher chars not to cook so buy food.
The difference here though, is that the sickles seem to break what seems to be rather fast. This issue causes their expenses to increase -greatly-, while their output, (due to the lack of a real system) to never grow beyond a few silver.
You actually loose coin now picking herbs by having to buy sickles...at least Achae does.
The druid - warrior. A lovely combo in two seperate people. But in one, it becomes a power house of non-expense. Those who are not held by morals of not attacking creatures, and thus attack freely and can then tend to their wounds
There is NO such thing as a Druid warrior and can never be... if a char becomes a warrior, they are no longer a Druid.

The biggest problem I see is the craft system. There are only two crafts functioning as they should at present. Before any major changes I would like to make the others function also. As far as who to buy from.... my chars buy from who they see in game and don't "shop" for prices, for one thing that can take too long waiting for someone to get ig.
Llama

Post by Llama »

*blinks at vern's essay*

I'll finish reading that later.

--

I don't personally see that fighter/smiths are the problem. A dedicated smith can make better armor.

What I find strange is the large influx of "Silversteel" which is running around. Now I think Silversteel is the hardest armor to make, and where its all coming from (every single fighter who tries to buy armor mentions it) is beyond me.

I think its from all the maps. Just saying.

I play a smith, and needing to collect iron, collect coal and leather, and then smith a bunch of stuff nobody ever needs just to get a better armor, is a big 'waste of time'.

I don't particularly see anyone who isn't a dedicated smith doing that out of some varient of masochist pleasure.

Except if you buy the resources, but then its good (to a point) for the economy.
Estralis Seborian

I go with Olive, Taliss and LifeWonder here: Instead of introducing unneeded limits that hamper one's option, we need methods to encourage desired behaviour. Making attributes matter is one good way - as long as you don't overdo it.

Comparison of mages and crafters
For mages, three attributes need to be maxed. With low attributes one will suck. Forever. A crafter needs to max only one attribute. With a low one, progress is slower and a bit more clumsy, but the result does no differ that much.

:?: Why are different systems treated so differently? Why not make actions more comparable?
:arrow: Same number of lead attributes for each action!
:arrow: Three attributes with a weighting of e.g. 3:2:1

I was always in favour of simple, generic solutions so the engine does not dictate one's options too much. Making every system too special where it could be conventional usually causes inbalances without any benefit.

In the end, from reading this topic, I seriously doubt a class system is the answer to the mentioned problems. It will not solve e.g. everyone running around with Silversteel, mages sucking at low levels or the need to craft useless crap to gain levels. Those are individual problems of individual systems, not a flaw of the class less core principle of Illarion.
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

I can only speak for myself - I have got all my silversteel armours from the Lich under the graveyard and I bet most warriors silversteels come from there and that leads to a point I have wanted to point out as a problem - the loot when killing monsters. Maybe lower the quality of the loot - especially among the undead. Undead should wear old and rusty things I think - not as it is now - silversteel and so on...

And I also find it kinda strange to see dwarves, orcs, halflings and so on running around with silversteel armours. I would love to have more race specific armour and equipment but I guess it is hard to find graphics and so for all...

I also still think that the way food and fighting works right now is kinda strange as well... I can't find any heavy armored warriors with shield and sword to be succesful - everyone use light armour and serinjahs. The typical knight one can think of really suck right now.

And when it comes to food - how can rabbit meal that consists of two simple ingredients that can be found and grown and actually even cooked at the same place be superfilling while for example saucage dish where one first need to kill pigs to get pork to cook saucages, grow and harvest carrots on an other place, grow and harvest grain, make the grain into flour that make a dough of it, bake and make breadrolls and then finally cook all this pretty much is like two ham or something that can easily be smoked in no time. INcredibly poor balance in the dishes I must say. I mean could you not at least set the same filling for those dishes???

Ah, well... I seriously can't see any problem with my suggestion except that one char can't be expert in everything. The char can still be good in many things if one train hard and be expert in one area after all. Can't see why one has to be able to be experts in many areas... And the possibility will still be there to change the area for expertise if one can motivate it.