Hunting Marks

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Valgor Cralner

Hunting Marks

Post by Valgor Cralner »

I do not know if this has been asked and Im to lazy to go look .

But I had an idea of making hunting marks by which i mean
Random creatures or foes that how up in areas that a player or group of players could go and get rid of.
example for newer players or less trained ones

a Rumor could start that A Larger man eating wolf has been seen on the road between Varshikar and Silverbrand this wolf has been reportedly attacking traders and peasants . This Wolf would of course be made far more powerful then your normal wolf and would take a bit more effort to take down . and After a player killed it a new rumor could say ****** is rumored to have slain the man eating wolf and has collected his reward. ((the reward would be droped by the creature or an npc
would give him or her the reward after they killed it.

Another example for more powerful players would be a Troll has been seen attacking Knights and Peasants alike near the X location again this creature would be far more powerful then your normal version of it.

An example of group work could be A rumor that a group of bandits have been praying on traders and sailors at the Harbor or the area around it . this of course youd make so it would take a small group to take on.

a final example for only the Strongest of people could be .

The rumors are thin but they say a large horde of Golums are forming as if magic has been bringing them together in the northern copper mountains.

Again this idea is just to make a few random things nothing constant but everyonow and again for group and or solo activities.

Oh another idea for this was bounty marks now I knowe that players already put bountys on other players which is great and all , But how about something like
The pirate Black boot longnose "Goblin" has been seen near the harbor and whoever takes him down reports to X person to recive a reward.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

enter the quest gm's! this is like a mini quest. or something you would find on your ordinary MMO.
Valgor Cralner

Post by Valgor Cralner »

Wasnt going for anything Grand just so you know just yah little mini things.

There is by far more then enough players to do this without Gms but it would be a little fun to go on hunts for dangerous creatures that offer more challenge then their normal brethren.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

And what happens to the non fighting chars who travel through a safe-territory and then face a troll? They would be dead in some seconds...sure no fun for them...
Next: as I know, its technically not possible to make random spawns. You have to set them on the map etc. And they would respawn...
So...I don't think its going to happen...if you want to fight strong monsters with a group...search for a treasure map ;)
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

The gm's can summon enemies at will. It just takes a bit more effort to keep the spawn running.. and it isn't bound to any one place.

Also, most crafters can run away from them, if they know the land well enough. Also, There aren't as many safe zones as one would think. More so. Thus, the crafter sees it, and wants to report a mark. The mark gets hunted, the crafter pays.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

make it possible to find some "huting-maps" like treasure-maps.
Someone finds a giant step in the earth from a animal... or so. If you hold the "map" in your hand its possible that this animal arrives on a special place. So a hunter is able to follow and hunt it down.

greetings.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Rincewind wrote:make it possible to find some "huting-maps" like treasure-maps.
Someone finds a giant step in the earth from a animal... or so. If you hold the "map" in your hand its possible that this animal arrives on a special place. So a hunter is able to follow and hunt it down.

greetings.
Ooh, now there's an idea. Treasure maps already make monsters appear, so why not make some that are more prevalent, but without the treasure part. It could be like someone posted about a nuisance being caused by the monsters.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Azuros wrote:
Rincewind wrote:make it possible to find some "huting-maps" like treasure-maps.

greetings.
Ooh, now there's an idea. Treasure maps already make monsters appear, so why not make some that are more prevalent, but without the treasure part. It could be like someone posted about a nuisance being caused by the monsters.
Exactly, this sounds like a great idea. They could take the forms of legends or myths about great creatures that roam the isle. And then you could 'track' them the same way you are pointed towards treasure.

Although it IS rather similar to treasure maps. There would need to be some noticeable difference in the way they work to justify the work. Perhaps they could drop a rare bodypart, such as for instance a large canine, which could then be taken to an NPC crafter and, for a little bit of money for his troubles, be changed into a usable item.

Perhaps even several items would be needed from different hunts for particular objects. A great wolf's canine, the eye of an elder beholder and and gnoll captain's tail go into a potion that has an enhanced, yet temporary effect.

A lot of work it would seem, but perhaps a way of introducing a variety of diverse 'quests' into the world that can operate with a little freedom and randomisation.
Valgor Cralner

Post by Valgor Cralner »

I like what direction its going into with this I never thought anything I would propose would get a response at all...

I like how this is going.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

But how would it be 'started'?

Digging in the ground to summon a monster seems.. lame, to be honest. Oh.. I have an idea!
Perhaps there are a few areas around the island that a person could enter, and then these monsters appear. Like caverns or something.. drawn by some sort of bait. Obviously they would need the 'map' to start, and then a bit of bait! You set the correct bait upon the correct spot (lets just say a table?) and -BAM!- Here comes this hulking big beastie, ready for a little bit of food...
Valgor Cralner

Post by Valgor Cralner »

nono it wouldnt be digging how about tlike the resurrection style thing when a spirit goes to a cross it resurrects once you step on a spot

how about if you have the map or mark in hand you step in the area and it summons it so its almost like an ambush.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Vern Kron wrote: and -BAM!- Here comes this hulking big beastie, ready for a little bit of food...
And then for higher up quests you need to put a character there and watch him get eaten ;)

I really like this suggestion, and it shouldn't be too hard to implement, and should be very fun.
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

sounds like a good idea, and to follow up on the idea of the animal dropping body parts, would make some good trophies

Edit: also would give people something to do on all those times when you log on and your the only person around