Distance weapon improvement suggestion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Hawkmoon

Distance weapon improvement suggestion

Post by Hawkmoon »

Hello all!

All I talk with tells me that distance weapons are really bad and after tried it a bit I tend to agree. I have a suggestion to improve it though! I suggest that every time one get hit by a distance weapon that makes you stunned for a while and maybe even hit you back a bit. This would make the distance weapon user way better and it would be more logical overall I believe! Of course it should be different with different weapons but still. I mean an arrow should stop the most people - at least for a moment and should make most people. And so also a good hit by a sling stone and so on...

Well. Just a suggestion! =)
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Nice idea.

Well, if I remember right Nitram had the idea that fighter (including archer) are able to walk around during a fight. That would help archer A LOT, but the sever couldn't handle the script.
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

Jupiter wrote:Nice idea.

Well, if I remember right Nitram had the idea that fighter (including archer) are able to walk around during a fight. That would help archer A LOT, but the sever couldn't handle the script.
Well... SHoot while move should be really hard in that case- unless maybe a crossbow? I would also want to have the possibilty to have two sets of weapons. When one press a button you simply will use the other set of weapons. It should take a short while though and will be no immidiate change. This is because changing weapons in Illarion is not the easiest thing to do to be honest...

That would help archers I believe.

And why is eating is an instant action? I mean.. As it is now one can eat while fighting! Just stop attacking and start eating whild defending. Really strange! Make it work like a slow kind of crafting thing instead and speed it up if one use cuttlery and the dish in the hands.

Sorry.. Off topic I guess... =)
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

There have been many suggestions on improving distance weapons ig. The one that other games seem to use the most... an archer being quick on the feet (as defense) and able to move as they shoot...can't seem to work on Illa causing server lags.
I would PREFER for archery to be this way if at all possible to script and prevent game problems.

As a second alternative if giving up on the first some suggestions have been to:
1. Make arrows a little stronger so an archer would only get 2-3 hits damage before felling the opponent.

2. Make special "fire" arrows that are strong and can be used to quickly kill a monster before the archer is ghosted.

Your suggestion, or a brief paralysis IMO would be another good alternative and RP wise the archer could possibly be "dodging" the opponent. It would be interesting to try anyway. Dueling-wise I would be curious how an archer and a swords-master would compare. :wink: My only concern is the timing would have to be very exact... taking in skill/weapons for both. Also the new system of the "step-back" (for want of a name) to prevent ghosting during dueling may be nagated with the distance weapons.

As far as the two sets of weapons, I am assuming you may be talking of a macro set-up in order to "arm" your char? It would certainly take a lot less time to arm then the drag and drop now...not knowledgeable with scripting though not seeing any other action macros ig I would GUESS that would be difficult to accomplish.

What WOULD however be an advantage to the entire arrow/bow difficulty would be:
Allow arrows AND bows to be moved with one action...shield/sword or sword/sword with one action. This way, a fighter can use arrow and bow until the monster comes too close and quickly get another weapon to defend themselves, or at least allow a pause so a char can grab alternative weapons.

((none of these suggestions are talking of any RP reasons, I am just mentioning technical aspects of an archer.....IMO the RP reasons can be easily figured out whatever is decided))

PS
You can't eat while fighting....and yes you can stop and eat but also get ghosted doing it. Think of when your char was a lot weaker... I don't think a pause is needed and this wouldn't help new players.
Hontus Ei

Post by Hontus Ei »

Hawkmoon wrote:
Well... SHoot while move should be really hard in that case- unless maybe a crossbow?
Very minor detail here, but it should be the other way around, with longbow being easier to shoot while moving (a crossbow takes alot of strength and/or use of the foot or a winch to load, in r/l). That's all. :P
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

There is a difference between shooting it and reloading it, shooting a bow while walking is ~quiete~ hard, because you need to coordinate Hand and feet, while you ~could~ shoot a crossbow with one hand, reloding it in the end will be quiete hard while walking.

Maybe you could create a "manual" reload or an "automatic" reload, means someone can replace the bolt in the hand with his mouse or simply stand still and let the system do it, thus you would need to stand still some time..
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I remember Nitram trying to add something like this - it was a failure. Either, the delay of the target was not noticeable or the target could get stunned totally by a number of foes. But Nitram might know more.

I'd welcome such a "hit delay", but I can live without it. The use of distance weapons has to improve, this is in work. It is questionable whether one needs an additional "punishment" for the target once distance weapons pose a threat.
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

Hontus Ei wrote:
Hawkmoon wrote:
Well... SHoot while move should be really hard in that case- unless maybe a crossbow?
Very minor detail here, but it should be the other way around, with longbow being easier to shoot while moving (a crossbow takes alot of strength and/or use of the foot or a winch to load, in r/l). That's all. :P
Loading yes. But while shooting.

In the best of worlds the crossbow should be accurate quite early, be powerful but take a lot of time to load. A longbow should be useless early on but get quicker and quicker and more and more accurate and powerful I would say.

What I meant is that a crossbow is easy to shoot while moving compared to a bow. At least as far as I know. =)
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

Pellandria wrote:There is a difference between shooting it and reloading it, shooting a bow while walking is ~quiete~ hard, because you need to coordinate Hand and feet, while you ~could~ shoot a crossbow with one hand, reloding it in the end will be quiete hard while walking.

Maybe you could create a "manual" reload or an "automatic" reload, means someone can replace the bolt in the hand with his mouse or simply stand still and let the system do it, thus you would need to stand still some time..
Kinda like the idea! =)
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

I've always wanted to play an archer but it's impossible with the current system.