Lizards go underwater

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Olaf Tingvatn

Lizards go underwater

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

This might be very far fetched . But, i feel that if lizards whom can breath under water should have the ability to go in to the water. or at least have the ability to "swim" in the water to cross streams that a other races cannot. I suggest a command or a second option for Lizards when they right click water...it could make for very interesting or short thief chases. and that when a lizard goes into the water it can choose to submerge or emerge. add some attacking fishes and some water based monsters possibly an underwater city too...? alltho it might take coding out the wazoo.. it would probably increase drastically in lizard characters and thiefs as well.
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

Pretty sure this was already discussed and denied. It's simply to much work and there are other more important things to implement.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Lizards allready have claws and can fish, how much more abilitys they are going to gain?

But anyway this is denied, because with this you can reach places you normally should not, like the Gm castle and so on.
Mairae Auvria

Post by Mairae Auvria »

I think graphic-wise this would be difficult, but you can always RP your lizard going into the water, they just will physically be unable to cross.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

This could be done using our current graphics.

Basically, just make a water tile with the ability to go down a floor and use the current water graphic as the floors and walls, giving them the ability to step on.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Pellandria wrote:Lizards allready have claws and can fish, how much more abilitys they are going to gain?

But anyway this is denied, because with this you can reach places you normally should not, like the Gm castle and so on.
then they could just make it so that entering the GM castle and reaching places they cannot be done. Well i realize it sounded a tad...egocentric to only have lizards being able to swim..making it so that other races also can go for a swim and such would perhaps be more..fair?
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

Lizards have many racial advantages already - they need no more. The proposal isn't helpful anyway - devs don't need to waste time creating something that can be roleplayed in the first place, especially something with no real use or benefit to the community as a whole.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

The race advantage argument is useless. Why? Because liazrds can swim perfctly underwater. The question is if teh do need a grafic.

No grafic necessary in my opinion. Just rp it! :P
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Bellringer wrote:Lizards have many racial advantages already - they need no more. The proposal isn't helpful anyway - devs don't need to waste time creating something that can be roleplayed in the first place, especially something with no real use or benefit to the community as a whole.

Why does it have to benefit everyone else? in my opinion role playing games has so many different aspects to it that it is simply impossible to benefit every player. equality is impossible in such games as this, unless you want everyone, no matter what race, to only be able to act as one and not as an individual race.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Pellandria wrote:Lizards allready have claws and can fish, how much more abilitys they are going to gain?

Seriously, just place the GM castle on a different level and that is solved. I do think that is a rather silly reason to deny it really.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Gm castle, Gm playground, questship and much more that should not be walked on, basicly all the water hazards must now be replaced with something else, so I guess Gobiath is surrounded by huge ass Mountains.
Youchimitchu

Post by Youchimitchu »

hmm who said they need to be able to move in the "ocean" tiles are tiles you can use any tile image to be waht ever you want in coding just make it so the lizards cant go on the ocean or any body of water that leads to these locations.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Youchimitchu wrote:hmm who said they need to be able to move in the "ocean" tiles are tiles you can use any tile image to be waht ever you want in coding just make it so the lizards cant go on the ocean or any body of water that leads to these locations.

Exactly:)
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

There are no ocean tiles, there are just water tiles and those are not crossable, it would be a hell of a work to give every freaking water tile on the whole maps a specific attribut.
Youchimitchu

Post by Youchimitchu »

Yes codingf is very difficult i tried my hand at it once and decided it wasnt for me but you only need to make barrier tiles i agree with pella though the amount of work would be astonishing and over a small thing i think if the team wants to do it they can but we shouldnt try and push it.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

There are several problems with this like running away from guards.

But more importantly a lizard archer could then fire at someone from in the water!
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

there is only two kind of tiles, as far as I know, those you can walk on and those which can't be walked on, creating an extra "lizards can walk on it in special cases" is work beyond the usefullness.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Pellandria wrote:there is only two kind of tiles, as far as I know, those you can walk on and those which can't be walked on, creating an extra "lizards can walk on it in special cases" is work beyond the usefullness.

no not to walk on in special cases. i am talking submerged..as in using a ladder in a cave to access the lower areas. only a lizard can right click on the water and choose "enter" or "swim" for example. and of course wearing armor of any sort should DRASTICALLY reduce the lizards movement speed while in water. well,.

Riddle me this: what is the use of an ability if it is not used?
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:There are several problems with this like running away from guards.

But more importantly a lizard archer could then fire at someone from in the water!

true, but that means that the lizard will have to see its target from under the water something that, i hope, the team will find a way around.
Daelyn

Post by Daelyn »

What do you suggest we give the other races to compensate for this?
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Olaf Tingvatn wrote:
Skaalib Drurr wrote:There are several problems with this like running away from guards.

true, but that means that the lizard will have to see its target from under the water something that, i hope, the team will find a way around.
You seem not to understand most people don't even want this in game, let alone want time waisted on it. No offense...
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Daelyn wrote:What do you suggest we give the other races to compensate for this?

That is not up to me to decide, and i wonder why people are so scared of implementing this into the game? what is the point of having a special ability when it cannot be used physically in the game? should ALL races have only the abilities of a human and not gain anything from picking a special race with special abilities? would that please the "community"?
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Lrmy wrote:
Olaf Tingvatn wrote:

You seem not to understand most people don't even want this in game, let alone want time waisted on it. No offense...
I can understand that most people do not wan this, but, what fun will this game be if all races are so equal that they only are told apart by the color of their skin and looks?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Special race= special rp, we allready got race attributs concerning crafting and figthing, even magic, and I said allready..you have two ~unique~ race abilitys ..noone else has even one..
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Pellandria wrote:Special race= special rp, we allready got race attributs concerning crafting and figthing, even magic, and I said allready..you have two ~unique~ race abilitys ..noone else has even one..

Of whom only one can be put to use in the game without RP. let the creators of Illarion decide. it is only a matter of making the game even more interesting. and that is to the benefit of the "community".
Mairae Auvria

Post by Mairae Auvria »

Illa is a beta game with many facets that are still in the works and some things that possibly COULD be put in game are allowed to be RP'd instead, up to the player's imagination. The Druid/Priest system, getting crafts adjusted so any craft can make some copper for the character, the newbie island just done so new players can get a tutorial on the skill system and may stay longer are just a few things most would like to see in the game first as far as prioritizing and a lot of the fun of the game is in the RP :wink:

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... airies+fly
Alber G

Post by Alber G »

Olaf Tingvatn wrote:
Pellandria wrote:Special race= special rp, we allready got race attributs concerning crafting and figthing, even magic, and I said allready..you have two ~unique~ race abilitys ..noone else has even one..

Of whom only one can be put to use in the game without RP. let the creators of Illarion decide. it is only a matter of making the game even more interesting. and that is to the benefit of the "community".
I have to agree... just because 1 race has some special skills , doesn't mean all have to be super races. It is a matter of RP... not everybody can play everything... I'd say make lizards a "special" race. :P Humans, Elves, Halflings and Orcs will make a fine "base" ...
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Uhm..wrong. :P Other races have less obvious special abilities.

Olaf, you are not quite right either. Races are not just a different skin, they are also different RP, which is what Illarion is about. Just drop the swimming thing? It REALLY isn't needed.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Lrmy wrote:
Uhm..wrong. :P Other races have less obvious special abilities.

Olaf, you are not quite right either. Races are not just a different skin, they are also different RP, which is what Illarion is about. Just drop the swimming thing? It REALLY isn't needed.

Nuh, ill leave it up to the illarion creators to sometime in the future, or not if they choose too, implement this into the game:)
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

and i think this post is mainly for lizard playing characters to argue or give pro's and cons in;)