- Noobia: Comments-

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

- Noobia: Comments-

Post by LifeWonder »

I've created a new character especially to try out Noobia and will do an extensive walkthrough of it tomorrow. I'll be comments on this thread I have about it.

1- Please don't make Henry Cunnigan tell new players to type "#me is a handsome man."

It's considered bad roleplay because forcing someone to think your character is 'handsome' is generally frowned upon. Maybe. #me laughs heartily . or.. #me looks around excitedly. would be better?

2- Could some of us players have the possibility to volunteer to have a character that ALWAYS stays on Noobia to help new players that need non-NPC help to figure things out? Maybe tell the new players somehow to type !help and this sends a message to all these "volunteers" that such or such player is requesting help on Noobia. That would be nice I think.

3- I'm not sure if this is normal, but Nargon apparently will give you as much coins as you want as long as you say 'more coins'. Edit: I now realise that Warkol will ask for all the coins you've taken from Nargon when you buy your stuff.. But what if the player just doesn't buy anythign and skips on once he has 50 silvers? o_O

4- The mummy Warkol asks you to kill is painfully resistant and long to kill if your attributes aren't a warrior's.. It's REALLY annoying.

Moar to come later! ^^
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

1, 2, 4: 100% ACK

On 3: All items you get on Noobia get deleted upon leaving the island. You get the desired start package instead.

~The one who got pwned three times by the mummy ;-)
Ardian

Re: - Noobia: Comments-

Post by Ardian »

LifeWonder wrote: 3- I'm not sure if this is normal, but Nargon apparently will give you as much coins as you want as long as you say 'more coins'. Edit: I now realise that Warkol will ask for all the coins you've taken from Nargon when you buy your stuff.. But what if the player just doesn't buy anythign and skips on once he has 50 silvers? o_O
You will see that Warkol takes ALL your copper coins when you buy a armor from him. So if you go with 50 silvers to him he will desire 50 silvers for the armor(he is a grabby dwarf :lol: )
LifeWonder wrote: 4- The mummy Warkol asks you to kill is painfully resistant and long to kill if your attributes aren't a warrior's.. It's REALLY annoying.
I made the mummy yesterday a bit weaker, the changes should be noticeable after the next reload.
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

What do you mean by "ACK" Estralis?

I'll continue the walkthrough once I get home later on today if I don't have too much homework. :P
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

ACK = Acknowledgment
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Othx.
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

5- When trying to chop a tree with armor on, it says: "Your armor disturbes you when chopping trees."

It's spelled: disturbs

6- The baking house isn't solid. You can walk in it. (If you go into the portal where the halfling teaches you cooking and baking)
Gaeus

Post by Gaeus »

I have also noticed when learning from the smithing craftsmaster in Noobia he asks for you to make him nails and when you go to smith them they are called "pins." So you end up having to give him pins when he asked for nails. Calling one item two different names could cause some confusion to a new player.

Other than that and a few other minor translation errors Noobia is looking mighty fine.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

I can't get past the guy near the dock. :shock: :oops:
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Julius wrote:I can't get past the guy near the dock. :shock: :oops:
You aren't allowed to play the game then, sry. :wink:

try walking in front of him and saying "help"?
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

*blinks once*

Is she serious? :shock:
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Julius wrote:*blinks once*

Is she serious? :shock:
I should know not to tease by now I guess. :oops:

If walking in front and saying "help" doesn't work, is there a way to back out of it and start noobie island again? Once that happened to me because I went past the guy at the dock not stopping to talk, or I said the wrong thing but could back out and restart it.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

It plays out a little slowly to be honest.
(A lot of walking around).
When I got the portal to Trollsbane I got lost and wandered up to Varshikar.....(and I used to play a lot...).

But I think it is excellent overall
Damien

Post by Damien »

You can sneak some copper coins by the NPCs by just throwing an amount on the floor and then getting the armor - but still, as Sideon wrote above, it all vanishes as soon as you leave N00bia ;) So that will take care of the people who are seriously trying to cheat.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Hmm....found another problem last night.

The items may disappear when you leave Noobia, but your skills don't (or do they? - Do skills reset to starting package too?).

Both the Smith and Goldsmith will happily hand over 10 iron and 10 coal each time you use them up. What's to stop someone from unlimited PG'ing skills here?

After the first few levels, it would be faster and more 'profit' to smith on Gobaith, but someone 'could' PG skills here without ever having to leave.

Is this a problem or is it just me looking "too hard" for problems? :?

Julius wrote:I can't get past the guy near the dock. :shock: :oops:
:shock: OMFG! He was the easy part! :shock:
Maybe we should Ban ANYONE who can't make it through Noobia? :lol:
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

Oldren Shmagging, stand in front of *edit: *the* fire...

there is no fire to stand in front of.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I think they removed the perma fires, perhaps including that one. Try starting a fire.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Funny, there was a fire there last night. Also, for the Baking tasks - could we include a 'Roasting Oven' and some fish or pork to roast? That will likely be their first food in Gobaith after the apples and cherries. And they should know how to roast.

Also please Edit:
Jenny Copperneedle says, "stand in front of the Table and 'use' the scissors to get a selection of items to make. Make the Grey Coat....Blah, blah..."

You use the Needle at the Tailoring table, not scissors.

Also, when I put some cabbages on the ground, they turned into withered cabbage seeds. May be a bug, but could be something to consider when the Farmer is made - how to get seeds.

Otherwise, smithing, Tailoring, Dyeing, Baking, all work great! I was surprised how 'detailed' the NPC's were. At the end, I even said 'Thank you' to Penny and Jenny, and they replied back! Wonderful work guys!
:D

P.S. - Could we also get an NPC that 'explains' what a depot is, and how to use it? They don't have to put anything inside, but at least know what it is. It's something I always have to explain. :D
Klesshaarr

Post by Klesshaarr »

I apologise for the resurrection the the year-old subject, but I wanted to add a few things that I've observed in going through noobia as a new player. I created several characters, ran around with them for a few hours, then deleted them until I found one that I felt was a solid RP concept and stable build.

1. I noticed that when I finished Noobia, I retained whatever skills I had gained there, instead of gaining the skills that were supposed to come with my equipment package... however, if I created a character that did not start at Noobia, I had the skills listed in my package.

2. There were a few translation errors (mostly spelling) that jumped out at me, if I find myself going through there again, I'll make a list and PM to a mod.

3. I find that trying to figure out how some of the crafting stuff works IG is a pain. There is also no tutorial for herbalism/alchemy or magic. Some things that I want to try to figure out how to make (like arrows) I had to search through the forums and piece together information on.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

This is very good and valid feedback! Improving the very first minutes, playing Illarion, is a very important issue for the Illarion staff; you know, you never get 2nd chance for a 1st impression.

Thus, we'd appreciate you reporting any bugs, problems or spelling errors. Best way to do so is reporting on the Mantis bugtracker and in addition, sending the developer "pharse" a private message.

On the third point of yours; crafting is a pain, but we're working on that. If you encounter any problem you cannot solve ingame, you can post questions on the newbie board or simply join the chat. But keep in mind that figuring out things yourself can contribute to your fun.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Klesshaarr wrote:1. I noticed that when I finished Noobia, I retained whatever skills I had gained there, instead of gaining the skills that were supposed to come with my equipment package... however, if I created a character that did not start at Noobia, I had the skills listed in my package.
Hi there.
Actually the skills gained on Noobia are limited at about 10 points (when leaving Noobia), but one should get all starting package skills nevertheless... I'll have a look into that.