Do you people read?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Oranges

Do you people read?

Post by Oranges »

Why can't people follow "simple" requests? Since apparently no one read the part about how to make a good post I will display it again.
Bad example:

Quote:
hi i buy:
36 coal
4532 stone
13 rabbit dish
send dove

Better example:

Quote:
Hail enterprising merchants of Troll's Bane,
I am in urgent need of goods, for purposes of my own. I need a delivery of the following commodities:

* A huge bag of coal, filled with at least three dozends of shovels of coal lumps
* A cart full of small pebble stones, usable for slings
* Roughly a dozend rabbit dishes, fresh and hot, to be delivered to my homestead during the upcoming festival of Wullahism

You can find me usually at the marketplace of Troll's Bane. Look for a tall human with a green hat who goes by the name of Hannes.

Yours sincerly,
Hannes Hallbauer

Why all this? First off, a post on this board should equal a post on a black board of a small, medieval town. "hi i buy" is definatly not the way a person of the world of Illarion would write. Also, keep in mind our characters do not have the knowledge like us players. For us, it is practical to count items with numbers for the client shows us numbers. But when you imagine a bag of wheat seeds in RL, nobody would start to count the grains but e.g. scale the bag or describe it with words (huge bag, small bag,...). For Illarion, it proved to be practical to name a stack of 250 as "bag", "stack" or "box", depending on the type of goods.

Always keep in mind that Illarion is a roleplaying game, not an economy simulation.
Just one day after this post was made someone throws in their title I want 1000 onions :roll: Then just a day after that someone saying they want 100 rabbit dishes :roll:

I don't care if this is considered flaming when you can't do a simple "request" to put something rpish: 4 crates full of onions or a four month supply of rabbit dishes perhaps? You are that thick?
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Its not wolf's style to write long flowery messages. He just gets straight to the point :wink:
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

100 rabbit dishes is -not- that hard to figure out. What a person needs is -not- that hard for them to know, because it could be that its for an event, and he knows how many people are coming, he wants a specific number, he could have spent time trying to figure out how much he needs.
Also.. 100 rabbit dishes would not last 4 months, unless you only ate once a day, and there still would not be enough.

Please do not insult players, because that is really rude, and I refer to the "Are you thick" comment. Thank you for your input though.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I wish us people could read to see what Oranges wrote. :P
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Do nut insult us fat people. :cry:
Llama

Post by Llama »

Lrmy wrote:I wish us people could read to see what Oranges wrote. :P
I really like the weird strange-shaped pictures... I wonder what they mean.
Beldir

Post by Beldir »

Sundo Raca wrote:Its not wolf's style to write long flowery messages. He just gets straight to the point :wink:
Such chars usually shouldn't be able to read and write. :wink:
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

To be one of the few positive voices, let me suggest a few problems with your request.

Although your example is good, it is vague and ambiguous. How is a player to Know 'how' many exactly. Unfortunately, GM's forbid excessive use of OOC to tell them. So how?

In your example:

Quote:
I am in urgent need of goods, for purposes of my own. I need a delivery of the following commodities:

* A huge bag of coal, filled with at least three dozends of shovels of coal lumps
How many Coal? A Huge Bag could be 100, 150, 250 or even 1000! It certainly not "36" as you suggest with the shovelfulls. Chester wears that on his belt! LOL! Besides, you can't even put 250 Ore in a real IG bag anyways.

* A cart full of small pebble stones, usable for slings
Ok, a cart????? We have mules, so you want us to fill the mule? 250 pebbles X 100 possible spaces = 25,000 Pebbles. Right......I'll get right to work an that for ye, NOT! LOL!

* Roughly a dozend rabbit dishes, fresh and hot, to be delivered to my homestead during the upcoming festival of Wullahism
A Dozend? What is a dozend? do you mean...er...twelve? Oops...see you made me count. Rabbits...er...habits are hard to break!

You can find me usually at the marketplace of Troll's Bane. Look for a tall human with a green hat who goes by the name of Hannes.

Yours sincerly,
Hannes Hallbauer

So you see, RP is good, but only to a point. When you are talking to players, be direct and not vague. Think about how your RP will be interpreted. If we signed an agreement for the "Cart" of pebbles, you'd be broke paying for it (Or 'Broken" if ye didn't pay! LOL!). Be considerate of the other players. Not everyone speaks english well, if at all, and there are a lot of ways 'phrases' can be interpreted, especially with trades.

There is a place for RP on the RPG board. The Trading Board though, I'd keep it to a minimum to prevent confusion. You could waste a lot of player time filling up a 'cart' of pebbles, LOL!

Good work on the RP though, and keep it up!

• "Hooked on Phonics worked for me!"
Kundra

Post by Kundra »

#me contorts his face like some deranged chimp, moaning in an extremely loud audible tone, as if this sound was pouring in vast tidal waves straight from the gut...
"UuuuuurrR!"

After minutes of doing so smashes own head against the keyboard several times, as he sits in a home that is not his own with a keyless keyboard made of cow dung.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Kundra wrote:#me contorts his face like some deranged chimp, moaning in an extremely loud audible tone, as if this sound was pouring in vast tidal waves straight from the gut...
"UuuuuurrR!"

After minutes of doing so smashes own head against the keyboard several times, as he sits in a home that is not his own with a keyless keyboard made of cow dung.
OK, that was funny!!!

LMAO!!! :lol:
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Juniper Onyx wrote:To be one of the few positive voices, let me suggest a few problems with your request.

Although your example is good, it is vague and ambiguous. How is a player to Know 'how' many exactly. Unfortunately, GM's forbid excessive use of OOC to tell them. So how?

In your example:

Quote:

* A huge bag of coal, filled with at least three dozends of shovels of coal lumps ((750 coal))
How many Coal? A Huge Bag could be 100, 150, 250 or even 1000! It certainly not "36" as you suggest with the shovelfulls. Chester wears that on his belt! LOL! Besides, you can't even put 250 Ore in a real IG bag anyways.

* A cart full of small pebble stones, usable for slings((500 pebbles))
Ok, a cart????? We have mules, so you want us to fill the mule? 250 pebbles X 100 possible spaces = 25,000 Pebbles. Right......I'll get right to work an that for ye, NOT! LOL!

* Roughly a dozend rabbit dishes, fresh and hot, to be delivered to my homestead during the upcoming festival of Wullahism ((11 rabbit dishes))
A Dozend? What is a dozend? do you mean...er...twelve? Oops...see you made me count. Rabbits...er...habits are hard to break!

Yours sincerly,
Hannes Hallbauer

So you see, RP is good, but only to a point. When you are talking to players, be direct and not vague. Think about how your RP will be interpreted. If we signed an agreement for the "Cart" of pebbles, you'd be broke paying for it (Or 'Broken" if ye didn't pay! LOL!). Be considerate of the other players. Not everyone speaks english well, if at all, and there are a lot of ways 'phrases' can be interpreted, especially with trades.

There is a place for RP on the RPG board. The Trading Board though, I'd keep it to a minimum to prevent confusion. You could waste a lot of player time filling up a 'cart' of pebbles, LOL!

Good work on the RP though, and keep it up!

• "Hooked on Phonics worked for me!"
Or instead of trying to sound funny by tearing good roleplay apart, just suggest to do good roleplay AND include exact numbers oocly.

There'll be people that'll just skim the roleplay and read the numbers (can't help them) but there'll also be people that enjoy a good read (the first usually craft/fight most of their time in-game the later tend to "roleplay" (whatever that is).)
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

And I'm sure if you realy put an efford like that in your trading post that the gms will pardon the unforgivable use of those numbers and product descriptions oocly I added. :roll:
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

Slipped into spam.

- Closed -