Raise the age limit to 15.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Colin Smalls

Raise the age limit to 15.

Post by Colin Smalls »

This may not be a popular proposal.. but after i had a conversation with a 14 year old po (not naming anyone) who recently left the game, i think it should be considered. Basically, she couldnt cope with the emotions the game was causing (particularly death, but other things too). Bare in mind that she was mature for her age, but she was too young to rp issues she hadnt dealt with yet in life. The case im reffering to is basically how she got emotionally attached to characters ig, and after one died she struggled to deal with it in rl (plus she could hardly tell her parents).

This will differ from person to person, but in my opinion themes in illarion are too adult (on occasion) for some kids below 15.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

the limit IS 16, basicly noone below 16 is allowed to play the game.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

i agree that at times illarion can be a bit mature (especially when we had that prostitute going around for a while). however i don't think illarion could take a hit like that. it is already recommended for older players and for the internet that is about all you can do. even if you have a registry that asks for names people can easily lie. so to finish it off even if this was a rule you couldn't enforce it.
Colin Smalls

Post by Colin Smalls »

Pellandria wrote:the limit IS 16, basicly noone below 16 is allowed to play the game.
it is? damn i was certain it was 13. Odd.
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

I think it is encouraged to be 16, but anyone can play.. o_O
Tanistian_Kanea

like i said before. even if it is enforced people just lie. there is noway to actually enforce it on the internet because you can't exactly ask for ID. so the idea is there, can't take into effect.
Colin Smalls

Post by Colin Smalls »

yeah i was under the impression that they were encouraging people under 15 to play, but i guess if they arent it doesnt matter.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Well..

I think it's possible for any age group to get emotionally "attached" to a char. However, it's just a game. I don't see how someone could actually get "attached" to a char in terms of it affected rl. I know a PO (Artimer) who is younger then 16 and he can rp just fine.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

*ahem*
First of all, I would like to say age should not be disclosed by any person besides the PO.
But thanks for the compliment.
And any person can get attached, and honestly they can know what they can and can't handle. Some people are extremely comfortable with having their character die, some aren't. Some are willing to curse, and some can't stand it. Some want to cyber, and others don't. Its best if everyone respects each others personal preferences on that, and then we won't have too much trouble IG with this.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

15!

Damn, I feel old now. :(

Where's Tjalf when you need him? I want to feel young again! :lol:
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

the simple point is, the association/the staff have no realistic possibility to control the age of the players. Thats why every strict rule for the age of a PO is useless and there is only the reference to be 16.

and btw, i personally start to play with 14 too. dont be to rude to young players, i think the most of them become better in there roleplay with the time.

edit: and actual i cant find these reference at the HP (i know it was there but seems not to be so) - so it seems atm there isnt even a reference...
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

You're stereotyping the whole world who is under 16 as not ready for this.. that's kinda ridiculous. When I joined illa (at 13 years old) I had no problems whatsoever. Now.. another thing, this person can't cope with death of another CHARACTER, right? The death of my father when I was 11 didn't do s*** to me, my attitude to anything didn't change at all. It entirely depends on the person, I'm sure lots of people in my situation would've been all "boo hoo" and I'm sure lots of people who play illarion under the age of 16 receive no impact whatsoever, and this is probably the majority.
Tanistian_Kanea

AlexRose wrote:You're stereotyping the whole world who is under 16 as not ready for this.. that's kinda ridiculous. When I joined illa (at 13 years old) I had no problems whatsoever.
ROFL.
Now.. another thing, this person can't cope with death of another CHARACTER, right? The death of my father when I was 11 didn't do s*** to me, my attitude to anything didn't change at all. It entirely depends on the person, I'm sure lots of people in my situation would've been all "boo hoo" and I'm sure lots of people who play illarion under the age of 16 receive no impact whatsoever, and this is probably the majority.
and now your insulting people again.
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

Alex insults people. It's just what he does. Deal with it.
Colin Smalls

Post by Colin Smalls »

AlexRose wrote:You're stereotyping the whole world who is under 16 as not ready for this.. that's kinda ridiculous. When I joined illa (at 13 years old) I had no problems whatsoever. Now.. another thing, this person can't cope with death of another CHARACTER, right? The death of my father when I was 11 didn't do s*** to me, my attitude to anything didn't change at all. It entirely depends on the person, I'm sure lots of people in my situation would've been all "boo hoo" and I'm sure lots of people who play illarion under the age of 16 receive no impact whatsoever, and this is probably the majority.
Actually im not stereotyping anyone, because if you read my post properly i said SOME people under 15 can't handle it.

Just because you are insensitive doesnt mean others arent, and tbh, they're the people im concerned about.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:
AlexRose wrote:You're stereotyping the whole world who is under 16 as not ready for this.. that's kinda ridiculous. When I joined illa (at 13 years old) I had no problems whatsoever.
ROFL.
That isn't roflworthy, I didn't say "I wasn't a noob", if you actually think about what the topic's about you might actually be able to comprehend something. Ever tried that? No? I mean I had no emotional difficulties with the game at all. Do I need to use more basic english or something especially for you?
Now.. another thing, this person can't cope with death of another CHARACTER, right? The death of my father when I was 11 didn't do s*** to me, my attitude to anything didn't change at all. It entirely depends on the person, I'm sure lots of people in my situation would've been all "boo hoo" and I'm sure lots of people who play illarion under the age of 16 receive no impact whatsoever, and this is probably the majority.
I sincerely apologise for saying that people cope differently with different situations. You're good at this whole insinuation thing. You act as if I said "THOSE WORTHLESS AND WEAK PEOPLE WHO WOULD FIND IT DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH DEATH".

@Colin: Some people OVER 16 are overly sensitive. That doesn't mean we should advise NOONE to play illarion because it MIGHT cause a problem to them.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Colin Smalls wrote:
AlexRose wrote:You're stereotyping the whole world who is under 16 as not ready for this.. that's kinda ridiculous. When I joined illa (at 13 years old) I had no problems whatsoever. Now.. another thing, this person can't cope with death of another CHARACTER, right? The death of my father when I was 11 didn't do s*** to me, my attitude to anything didn't change at all. It entirely depends on the person, I'm sure lots of people in my situation would've been all "boo hoo" and I'm sure lots of people who play illarion under the age of 16 receive no impact whatsoever, and this is probably the majority.
Actually im not stereotyping anyone, because if you read my post properly i said SOME people under 15 can't handle it.

Just because you are insensitive doesnt mean others arent, and tbh, they're the people im concerned about.
The people who can't handle it don't play. End.
Colin Smalls

Post by Colin Smalls »

AlexRose wrote:
Tanistian_Kanea wrote:
ROFL.
That isn't roflworthy, I didn't say "I wasn't a noob", if you actually think about what the topic's about you might actually be able to comprehend something. Ever tried that? No? I mean I had no emotional difficulties with the game at all. Do I need to use more basic english or something especially for you?
I sincerely apologise for saying that people cope differently with different situations. You're good at this whole insinuation thing. You act as if I said "THOSE WORTHLESS AND WEAK PEOPLE WHO WOULD FIND IT DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH DEATH".

@Colin: Some people OVER 16 are overly sensitive. That doesn't mean we should advise NOONE to play illarion because it MIGHT cause a problem to them.
Yes it does, because people of that age are more likely to be affected, simple as.

And no, people who cant handle it do play, because they dont realise untill too late, since they havent been warned, which is the point of this thread.
Kenneth Ladrus

Post by Kenneth Ladrus »

It does not depend on the age how a char rps or changes real life with in game.
I mean, there is no reason to "ban" youngers, when the rp good; that is a game for everyone who wants to play, so I think everyone who wants to play should play.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Alright, this is idiotic. You want more players, but then certain people can't handle it and then you want to raise a ban on younger players.
Death happens, and some people can't really handle any form of that. But that should not cause a need to ban people. People are raised differently, and thus react to things differently. To me, death, divorce, and poverty are facts of life, things that do affect me, but do not shake me strongly, I try to change the latter, but I will not be in tears over it. Atleast I haven't yet.
On the other hand, some things really shake me to a point where I want to just crawl under a rock. Each person has their own cracking point, and that is the same for any person, old or young. I have gotten annoyed, or even angry at people in this game. But yet, I still play (except for right now, when I haven't really had anything to do.) We 'young folk' generally are tougher than we appear, and the fact that 'old folk' ignore it generally ticks them off. Banning people to play a game, may kill 'group arrivals', possibly great rp'ers, and those people who -do- leave, most likely won't wait a year, a month, so on so forth to play this game.
Peace,
PO Artimer.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I guess some of your remember that the proposed age to start with Illarion was and is 16 and not below. If you are 12 and want to play go for it.

But we set this line because its most likely that many at a age of less then 16 are not able to handle the intellectual requirements of Illarion. Honestly I think some of our older players aren't able to keep the intellectual level at a point where I would like to see it. Anyway. This was the reason for this 16 years line. It was no deathline it was a proposal.

Nitram
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Colin Smalls wrote:
AlexRose wrote:@Colin: Some people OVER 16 are overly sensitive. That doesn't mean we should advise NOONE to play illarion because it MIGHT cause a problem to them.
Yes it does, because people of that age are more likely to be affected, simple as.

And no, people who cant handle it do play, because they dont realise untill too late, since they havent been warned, which is the point of this thread.
Now I feel somehow... affected. Because you know, I also have problems with chars I began to like dying ig, mine and the one's of others. It makes me really sad to be true. Still I play Illa. Because... well, being sad is not as bad as both of you seem to think, it is part of my life like being happy. If you are sad every now and then you are more thankful to any happiness that meets you.

I also won't tell my rl friends or family about why I am sad right now if I am thinking of a dead char ig. But honestly, I prefer people who still CAN get affected with some story they co-write than people who don't care at all. It also shows how one behaves or feels in their rl, what kind of a person they are. I think people like me, others might call us weak, are simply living more intense. We are able to pity others without knowing them. We are able to be a whole different person in our imagination what makes it more easy to roleplay.

Still I think that some younger players are perhaps too young for illa, not because they can't cope with it but because they perhaps don't understand everything what happens. But as said before, they can learn, and better they learn now than leaving and never coming back.

The young player this thread is about perhaps could not cope with it that good, but she will come over it. Tell her it is a game. Or give me her msn or something via pm. I would like to talk to her if she wants to.
She can also contact me if she has any difficulties. I am here most of the time.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

I started when I was 12 or 13 too, though I was a total noob back then :P

Killing mummies for daggers with Liles and selling them every few weeks in varshikar, watching William get is ass kicked, aah the good times. :P
Tanistian_Kanea

i remember when william just started. i consistently whacked him on the head for being and idiot and shouting to much... ig.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:I started when I was 12 or 13 too, though I was a total noob back then :P

Killing mummies for daggers with Liles and selling them every few weeks in varshikar, watching William get is ass kicked, aah the good times. :P
Yeah it was my first experience of online gaming in my life, since my brother hogged the computer so I generally replayed all my GC/N64/SNES games hundreds of times, and it was so awesome xD. It was like.. mystical and a new thing for me and I <3ed it, especially the player interaction. But now, meh it's the norm :P . I still think managing to get banned from Bane and Varsh within an hour of playing is impressive.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I say we raise the age to 100 so Korm has friends :P
Borine

Post by Borine »

Wtf I'm 14 and I cope with all the craziness of the game!?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Why is this thread still active?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Cos your face.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Because the spammers keep it alive.

*takes out the lock and locks the topic*