Make books an item that you can edit..

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Make books an item that you can edit..

Post by LifeWonder »

Hello.

I've seen that we can already write our own books that can be put in bookshelves, and think that's awesome!

What I'd love to see though, is a way to write our own books.. and have them saved as an item in our inventory! When the item used, an open book graphic can appear (same as the one in the library) and you can flip pages. =D Would be neat if that book is editable though.

Even though we need to go through a webpage to write/edit it (as we have to do now), I don't mind! So in brief, is it possible to make books an item you can pickup, and maybe give to someone else so they can read it?

I think that would open up lots of possibilities and great RP scenarios.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Unfortunately it's not currently possible. The way it works right now, books -must- be as static items on the ground to work in the graphical system (so it wouldn't work if books could be picked up or kept in the inventory)
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Oh.. Is it possible to write personal books then? Or do we absolutely have to write a book regarding something in Illarion? Personal book as in, personal for my character, not me.. Like.. say .. a diary.. or a group of poems, or so..? Being averagely new to the game, I'm not sure I'd be able to write something highly related to the history, but still am interested in writing books..
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

You can write any kind of books you wish (as long as they are fitting to the game of course).

However, there need to be bookshelves where the books will be placed. So unless your character owns a private house with a bookshelf, the books will have to be in some public library.
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

I guess I'll write them on a notepad until I can afford a house. XD
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

So never, then.

Why do you even want them ingame if you don't want anyone to read them? How about writing them on notepad and then putting them in the recycling bin, you don't need a scripted book to be able to rp writing something that noone else will see anyway.

And if you DO ever want to allow someone to steal it off you and read your secrets, either pm a bit of the diary to them or tell them in ooc the general gist of what the book says, or emote #me's book speaks about .... etc.

I really don't see what the problem is here.

"I think that would open up lots of possibilities and great RP scenarios."

If you need an engine to rp something that doesn't require an engine... you get the gist.
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

I think we should be kinder to this newbie...

Here is the topic about book writing. Do note that you need a translator for the German, unless you speak it fluently yourself...

Have fun!
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

AlexRose wrote:So never, then.

Why do you even want them ingame if you don't want anyone to read them? How about writing them on notepad and then putting them in the recycling bin, you don't need a scripted book to be able to rp writing something that noone else will see anyway.

And if you DO ever want to allow someone to steal it off you and read your secrets, either pm a bit of the diary to them or tell them in ooc the general gist of what the book says, or emote #me's book speaks about .... etc.

I really don't see what the problem is here.

"I think that would open up lots of possibilities and great RP scenarios."

If you need an engine to rp something that doesn't require an engine... you get the gist.
Wow.. you got me totally wrong.. you don't need to be so harsh either, I was just suggesting something.. :/

If my character writes books, I'd rather them be in his house on a bookshelf.. so visitors could come in and have a look, poems, diaries, stories, whatever.. I thought that would be a tip-toe step closer to "owning" personal books..

You really, really didn't need to be so harsh. :/
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I'm not harsh, I'm just linear.
Llama

Post by Llama »

AlexRose wrote:I'm not harsh, I'm just linear.
No, you're harsh

I think if you create a book with the book creator , you can tell the dev who puts it in whether you want it at your bookshelf, or in the tb library only ect...
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
AlexRose wrote:I'm not harsh, I'm just linear.
No, you're harsh

I think if you create a book with the book creator , you can tell the dev who puts it in whether you want it at your bookshelf, or in the tb library only ect...
Yeah that was my point.. I was hoping to write books to help other characters understand who my character is better by reading the books.. and it'd be kind of silly to put these books in a library.. :/ Since books in a library should be informative of the world surrounding them.. not a specific person..
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

I have lots of good ideas for books...

Like stories, chronicles, crafting books, even books on magical theory.
Llama

Post by Llama »

So write the book in english using that program, and try to get a german to translate it for you. I'm sure nobody minds having more books around.